• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 remake!

Ikawaru

Ok. Thus far I have not thought to need to use the 'Ignore' function on this website, but I think this crazy, lying old man gets the honor of being the first to put it to the test. Gratz!

Turo602

The King of Kings
Ok. Thus far I have not thought to need to use the 'Ignore' function on this website, but I think this crazy, lying old man gets the honor of being the first to put it to the test. Gratz!
Yeah, the guy clearly has issues. Acts like he's having a friendly conversation with you but is actually seething and then finally explodes when he can't handle the conversation anymore.

Frag Maniac

LOL, "crazy", "lying", you're delusional kid. If it will keep a brat like you from responding to me with ridiculous self righteous prattling though, all the better!

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I'm sure that, as adults, we can discuss the perceived merits of a game/developer without resorting to name-calling.

I haven't seen too much about the game but I did take a quick look at the video posted in this thread and, honestly, it looks pretty decent. I'm a bit mixed on the changes made to the inventory, it just doesn't look as clean to me, but I do like the extended quick-equip HUD.

Not a huge fan of the mid-game Hunnigan calls. I'm sure this is a callback to her presence in the original but I would have preferred it if she didn't show up on screen. (Especially in the middle of the screen; even at the bottom it just kind of takes me out of the moment.)

I'm also a little torn on the silent takedowns; it gives me an MGS/Arkham vibe. It's a mechanic I enjoy in the aforementioned titles, however I'm not sure it fits here. I know in the video on the last page, the commentator mentioned that he had tried numerous times to get through the area stealthily but it hadn't worked out well. Maybe he's not skilled or patient enough, or maybe he just hasn't had enough time to work with the game, but I've never been a fan of adding a mechanic that's almost impossible to utilize just to say you've added such-and-such mechanic. It puts me in mind of a multiplayer action-shooter I played a few years ago that included silent takedowns. You might have been able to get one or two enemies silently if you were lucky but, because of how chaotic the game was, and was meant to be, it just wasn't viable as a strat.

I'm all for games letting you cater to your own playstyle by making certain options available to you, but if there's never going to be an instance in which you can do it that way, what was the point of adding it?

All in all, I'm not super mad at anything I've seen and I'd be interested in checking it out...if I wasn't boycotting the game because they skipped Code Veronica and seemingly have no plans to ever touch the title again. I'll definitely be checking out gameplay once it's been released but, at the moment, I won't be purchasing it myself.

Mr.R

I'm also a little torn on the silent takedowns; it gives me an MGS/Arkham vibe. It's a mechanic I enjoy in the aforementioned titles, however I'm not sure it fits here. I know in the video on the last page, the commentator mentioned that he had tried numerous times to get through the area stealthily but it hadn't worked out well. Maybe he's not skilled or patient enough, or maybe he just hasn't had enough time to work with the game, but I've never been a fan of adding a mechanic that's almost impossible to utilize just to say you've added such-and-such mechanic. It puts me in mind of a multiplayer action-shooter I played a few years ago that included silent takedowns. You might have been able to get one or two enemies silently if you were lucky but, because of how chaotic the game was, and was meant to be, it just wasn't viable as a strat.

I'm all for games letting you cater to your own playstyle by making certain options available to you, but if there's never going to be an instance in which you can do it that way, what was the point of adding it?
Interestingly enough, it's pretty much the same situation on Revelations 2. The game does have stealth takedowns, but it's ever so rare for the game to give you an actual situation where you can use it, since most of the time the enemies spots you by default. RE4R does seems a little more open now, so maybe they can give you opportunity to do some stealth on the more quieter parts. We'll have to wait and see it.

Ikawaru

I'm expecting RE4R to be Capcom's real, prototypical forray into stealthplay, more like it's Beta stage. I'm sure most of the time loud gunblasts will be the answer to the games problems, but what we see so far is already much more than I anticapted. We'll have to actually play the game to find out of course, but it certainly feels like they're stepping further into that direction. As the impression from the video gives, I'm thinking they could easily master the mechanic for RE9.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't know, I thought it was implemented quite well in Revelations 2. Having replayed it last year, I'd say there's more than enough opportunities for stealth takedowns, though I'd say it's far more prominent in Barry's portion of the game than Claire's and with how annoying Revenants were to fight and how easy it is to miss shots on them, it makes for an interesting risk/reward system.

I think stealth is a great addition to the series but I also wouldn't want it to be something that can be cheesed. It's great to be able to save ammo if you're skilled enough and have the patience to take advantage of stealth opportunities when they arise, but if it's gonna make the game easier and just have Leon feeling overpowered from how often it can be used to clear areas, then I don't want it.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Not a huge fan of the mid-game Hunnigan calls. I'm sure this is a callback to her presence in the original but I would have preferred it if she didn't show up on screen. (Especially in the middle of the screen; even at the bottom it just kind of takes me out of the moment.)
Yeah, I noticed that too and I really didn't like it. It's one thing for her to maybe appear on the top right corner of the screen, which itself isn't completely necessary, but I get as a callback to their original conversations, but in the middle of the screen just looks so weird and unnatural.

All in all, I'm not super mad at anything I've seen and I'd be interested in checking it out...if I wasn't boycotting the game because they skipped Code Veronica and seemingly have no plans to ever touch the title again.
I wouldn't lose hope yet. As far as I'm aware, Capcom doesn't usually interfere with fan projects, but they did recently shut down the fan remakes of Resident Evil 1 and Code Veronica. The last time I remember them doing something like this was with the Resident Evil 2 fan remake which as we all know, led to the development of an actual remake.

They have expressed interest In remaking the original, which I believe would be necessary to touch on again before moving forward with Code Veronica or even Resident Evil 5 which is a topic that has actually picked up some steam lately.

Dusk Golem, depending on if you trust him or not, has said before that Capcom is really good at listening to fan feedback. I know that's a whole can of worms in of itself, but there are examples of this like with how they dumbed down Village because 7 was "too scary" and even now with Resident Evil 4, they seemed to have learned from the criticism of Resident Evil 3 not being faithful enough to its original. So he suggested we keep asking for Code Veronica because Capcom does indeed pay attention.

Resident Evil 2 was also a massive hit and it's currently outpacing Resident Evil 7 in sales and could very well become the highest selling game in the franchise if it keeps up the momentum. They had also revealed they were happy with Resident Evil 3's sales and there's no doubt in my mind Resident Evil 4 is going to surpass both Resident Evil 7 and 2.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that these remakes are extremely successful and success like that isn't ignored, especially not by Capcom, the pioneers of milking success. I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing more remakes in the future.

I mean, Resident Evil 2 did somewhat change the circumstances involving Chris' departure, and I don't think they would have done that if they didn't intend on following up on that story thread. Kinda like how RE4 is being treated as an actual continuation of RE2's story and how they even managed to connect Nemesis with RE4, which turned out to be the next game they were working on.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I never like the original RE4 and I bought it on release in 2005, so I, and likely more than are given credit, already had this opinion and it didn't take all these years to figure it out.

@Frag Maniac I know your comment wasn't directed at me, but I always try to play games on the hardest difficulty. I want all (and more) of a challenge than I can handle. Makes the experience more rewarding when you finally beat the game. My husband is the Story mode type, but at least he owns it XD. Makes for funny discussions when I beat a game on a far harder difficulty.

Ikawaru

Depends on the game for me. Some games, playing on the hardest difficulty feels your brain is being grinded down to dust and you're just wasting your precious time trying to "Get Gud". Other games, like 'Dead Space' remake and 'Fallout: New Vegas' for instance, 'Hard' mode is quite easy and feels like a breeze and is just a matter of knowing the mechanics and how to apply them throughout your run. Now, RE2R, is a perfect middle ground on 'Hardcore' mode because it's quite a challenge, especially trying to get an "S+" rating, but not where's it feels outrageously impossibly hard. Very good balance.

'Dark Souls' has the most renowned reputation for being a very difficult game but I have literally never had a problem with its difficulty because the gameplay fits me like a glove and I understand it's mechanics and concepts very well.

So yeah, arguing about how one plays games on different difficulties feels like a stupid pointless argument and feels like one of the most subjective and infinite variables imaginable considering all the different types of games that exist in this world.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Best look at the game yet.

I gotta be honest. That looked f*cking incredible. Unfortunately, it also looks extremely faithful to the original, with some of the more overbearing elements in tact, but I can't say I'm not impressed either way.

Wasn't a fan of the mine cart in the original but it looks reworked here to be more of a change of pace in gameplay and not just another spot to unload shotgun ammo into another horde of enemies. So while it may still be a silly and over the top game, I can't deny that it's not fixing issues with the original as a gameplay experience.

Luis also seems to have a much more expanded role and actually helps Leon in combat beyond the cabin fight and even past his original death... So that should be interesting. The Krauser fight looks amazing, and I love the new cultists designs and A.I.

Also, Mercenaries confirmed and a demo is coming soon. Goddamn, I need this game now.

Ikawaru

About on par with the original, fantastic action game that'll wow you for a month or so, until you feel dried up and want more info on RE9. :p

The glass is certainly half full here, as they are definitely expanding their repertoire of gameplay mechanics and hope they continue to branch out with gameplay options and experiment with new features that can somehow weave their way into the franchise whilst keeping its identity intact.

There is however one really big itch that's impossible to scratch and leaves me kinda bummed out: I really wish they were just as faithful to RE3R as they apparently are with RE4R, Capcom deserves more foottime in the fire for this transgression!

Turo602

The King of Kings
At this point, I couldn't care less about RE9 until I hear or see something worth getting excited about. Right now, I'm remakes all day, every day. I just hope the success of the remakes at least influences the main series.

I feel like RE3 got done so dirty because maybe Capcom does view the original as nothing more than a spin-off/companion piece to RE2 which is reflected in their approach to remaking it. Though, I gotta say, as much as I loved RE2, I still think there's room for them to expand it and make it feel much more faithful to the original as well.

So my only hope for these games is some sort of revamp down the line either next-gen or in the near future where they re-release the games, maybe even bundled together, with new and revamped content that addresses fans' criticisms. I mean, they are gonna milk these games someday right? Might as well put some effort into it.

Though, the thing that gets me in regards to RE3 is that it was supposedly in development around the same time as RE2, meaning those remakes were likely treated as one big project, hence why neither game felt fully realized. Except RE2 was treated like a full release, and rightfully so, while RE3 was essentially a 30 dollar expansion that was bundled with another 30 dollar game. Yet, we've also heard things that implies RE3 used to be a much bigger game with fast travel and stuff.

What the hell happened there? Did they go over budget and neuter the whole thing? Because honestly, that could explain why the games did end up feeling just a little bit short of perfection. At least RE2. Looking back on RE3 though, I feel like maybe its streamlined nature was largely in part due to having to rework the whole experience into something cohesive without actually finishing up development on the game.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I almost forgot about Revelations 2 having stealth takedowns. It simply proves how well implemented they were into the game, and that having them doesn't take away the RE experience.

That new 3rd trailer was... Exhilarating, to say the least. This is the probably the biggest showcase we've seen so far of the game's levels and environments, and although it looks amazing I can't say I'm thrilled to see the return of silly stuff like the mine cart, giant trolls and other fantasy & action aspects that makes me go "oouff, yeah now I remember what I didn't like about the original". I know it was bound to come, but still. I also don't like that Luis is more goofy this time around, it feels like they're turning him into a pure comic-relief character which is honestly something that doesn't belong in a Resident Evil game - but I'm willing to give him a chance until I play the game myself.

Almost all of the previous trailers have focused on the forest and village parts which, in my opinion, looked different from the original and more like true survival horror. The later levels like the castle looks like they're 99% faithful copies of the original, only with better graphics, and that's a bit unfortunate. I was hoping to see a new stylistic approach to the castle with tighter and darker places, but it looks like they're not taking that many risks with it.

But oh man, the fight with Krauser looks incredible! I love how small the area where you fight him is, it reminds me of the first Birkin encounter in the RE2 remake. This definitely feels like it's going to be one of my favorite moments of the game!

Last edited:

Ikawaru

The first trailer did show the Village segment and it also did look extremely faithful to the original and showcased its "classic action" design. However, the second one we did get to see some impressive more in depth design of the Village and all the little design improvements for the section that are more in line with survival horror. I'm hoping here that they are doing the same with this third trailer, just showing off the more action parts of the Castle and Island but leaving out other parts in which improvements are made to the other areas and we'll get a 4th trailer that shows the better parts of these areas.

Looks like they're seriously trying to juggle here keeping both its action fans happy and it's survival horror fans happy. I hope they can strike a balance, but prior experience shows that it's very difficult to do this and just leaves a situation where nobody is happy. We will see.

Jonipoon

If by that you mean this trailer, I disagree. It teased a much darker atmosphere and more serious tone compared to the original. Faithful to the source material, for sure, but a different take on it.

Just compare Luis in the first trailer compared to the latest third trailer, it says everything.

Ikawaru

No, silly, I meant the first gameplay video where he flips through the window and fends off the chainsaw with a knife. Except for the building he's skulking around in before the window jump, was quite a near perfect recreation of the first Village encounter of the original.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Woah. Your exact words were "the first trailer", it's not my fault that you didn't specify what you meant.

"The first trailer did show the Village segment and it also did look extremely faithful to the original and showcased its "classic action" design."

Ikawaru

Then I apologize for my poor choice of words and for the confusion, señor. I'll try to be more specific in the future.

Top Bottom