• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 remake!

RipvanX

Hopefully the parry system is not overused to the point you have to kill certain enemies with it. This is what I absolutely hated with games like Sekiro, where enemies only die through parrying no matter where their health is at. I like the changes to Ashley so far and the more I see of her in this remake, the more I despise her original counterpart which was basically a female Steve.

TEMPERANCE CHILD!

Ikawaru

By FAR the biggest 'Resident Evil' title to date. Disk space-wise anyway. This is even before VR and "Mercenaries" mode is released. Considering it's the exact same engine as every 'Resident Evil' title since RE7, with only minor updates to support DX12 and Ray Tracing, I'm expecting a whole lot of content packed into this game with this size. A game that's not open world running on very stable engine that requires 67.18GB of space certainly should hint at something.

Jamesy

Just learnt today that we will get the resident evil 4 embargo/reviews by the end of next week( 16th/17th March).

I am feeling uneasy about what the critics will say because re3 and village did not get that great reviews:(

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
What about the one-shot demo? Is it still projected to be released tomorrow or what?

Ikawaru

I am feeling uneasy about what the critics will say because re3 and village did not get that great reviews:(

Bugger what the critics say. We will provide an accurate, unbiased analysis and breakdown of the game after it's released. Game looks pretty good but I will not hesitate to point out what they could have done better with this new multi-faceted formula and also what they did well as far as improvements go and how it stacks up as a survival horror game.

I lost faith in reviewers on how they treated 'Revelations 2' and 'Resident Evil 7'. The former was woefully underrated whilst the latter was woefully overrated. Rev2 was a mixed bag but its positives outweighed its negatives whilst RE7 was a mixed bag but its negatives outweighed its positives.

Jamesy

Bugger what the critics say. We will provide an accurate, unbiased analysis and breakdown of the game after it's released. Game looks pretty good but I will not hesitate to point out what they could have done better with this new multi-faceted formula and also what they did well as far as improvements go and how it stacks up as a survival horror game.

I lost faith in reviewers on how they treated 'Revelations 2' and 'Resident Evil 7'. The former was woefully underrated whilst the latter was woefully overrated. Rev2 was a mixed bag but its positives outweighed its negatives whilst RE7 was a mixed bag but its negatives outweighed its positives.

Yeah RE7 is not my favourite either but it’s not as bad as RE8 in my opinion.

If re4 remake turns out to be mediocre capcom will never hear the end of it.

RipvanX

Have to agree with RE7/RE8 belonging to their own franchise. They honestly feel like a side story that only lasted a mere 4 years that heavily borrowed from RE1/RE4 way too much. Then with the 16 year timeskip at the end, it comes off as bad storytelling and tries to conclude the franchise in a forced way by essentially aging all prior protagonists without passing the torch properly. Not a fan of them doubling down on superpowers either, so I don’t get how some people claim that to be more realistic and survival horror when you are freezing enemies like in Final Fantasy.

RE:4 actually borrows gameplay elements from RE6 with the new parry system. That game wasn’t perfect either but it managed to have some of the best character moments. Ethan and Chralos’ acting performances feel inept and shallow in comparison. Both games are ridiculous and silly but if I had a gun to my head whether to play RE6 or RE8, I would choose RE6 all day everyday without question.

Capcom has to knock RE:4 out of the park, this is perhaps one of the most important titles to come out in a long time. What I have seen so far has me excited and I cannot wait to see what other quality of life changes they bring to an already amazing game. I think it’s interesting how they are incorporating 2 different play styles into newer games now so more people have a chance to play how they want. Wish I didn’t get sick from VR though.

Last edited:

Jamesy

I enjoyed re6 more than 8

RE8 is my least favourite entry in the series but shadows of rose dlc was interesting.

Mr.R

For the ones who played the demo, I had the opportunity to hear Hunnigan's voice more clearly and to me she sounds like Nicole Tompkins. It's certainly not Sally Saffioti. Considering how Capcom has used VA's from 7 and 3R in Village, that might be true for Hunnigan too.

It was just me or you guys think they sound similar too?

Frag Maniac

I've always thought of Hunnigan's on the fly reports to be quite silly, and akin to the constant cell phone interruptions in games like GTA and Watch Dogs. It doesn't even make sense that the handler would interrupt the field operative. It would more likely be the other way around, because Hunnigan has no idea if he's in the middle of dealing with enemies, monsters, or just something that requires his undivided attention. There should be an option to have her send via text with a mode to vibrate the device, or in game with a flash onscreen or force feedback in the controller. Then Leon can choose when to answer. Of course in game she always chimes in when he's not busy, which only detracts from the realism because it makes her look like a psychic.

Last edited:

Ikawaru

Yeah RE7 is not my favourite either but it’s not as bad as RE8 in my opinion.

If re4 remake turns out to be mediocre capcom will never hear the end of it.

'Revelations 2' Raid mode > EVERYTHING

I kid. I kid. I am, however hopelessly addicted to it and I really think the "Mercenaries" mode in RE4make should draw inspiration more from that than anything else.

Ikawaru

Just beat the first chapter on "Hardcore" mode. It wasn't too hard. The Sentinal 9 is great but the Skull Crusher is meh as far as "Deluxe Edition" content goes, the costumes are a touch too silly for my liking, but that is petty stuff.

As for the game itself, it is quite 'Resident Evil 4', just updated in mechanics, controls and visuals. The addition of "Brutes" as enemies was nice and they are quite a tough intermediary foe between ganados and Salvador-type chainsaw opponents so this is good. I have mentioned the addition of stealth in other threads so no need to further elaborate there. I do like how the treasure and loot system seems more fleshed out this time around and there seems to be much more locked cabinets to go back and unlock so these are positives.

Not much else for first impressions, so far pretty solid and I look forward to finishing Leon's simple rescue mission and trying to maximize the game, will keep me occupied for some time I imagine.

P.S. lack of QTE cutscenes is definitely a plus ;)

Top Bottom