• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (1998) resident evil 2 : the best playstation one game ever ??

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
MGS was more tedious than fun for me, although I've only done it once and I was probably too young to have fully enjoyed it, may have to pay it a revisit.

But there's loads of really good PS1 games, I really just picked the ones I spent the most time on and or completed the most.

I could say the same thing about FF7, honestly. I finally got my hands on it a while back and it didn't impress me. The hype was not enough to save it for me. But I recommend checking out MGS again, it's primitive by today's standards, but very much worth playing.

Shaun Dewey

I can say the same for FF7, it takes a while to get going but once it does :) there's nothing quiet like it.

I'll be dusting off my PS1 then, since my 60GB PS3 bit the dust not too long back :*(

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I can say the same for FF7, it takes a while to get going but once it does :) there's nothing quiet like it.

I'll be dusting off my PS1 then, since my 60GB PS3 bit the dust not too long back :*(

S'all gud, most PS1 games are best played on the genuine article. Gives you a nice feeling playing games in that noisy grey CD player.

Masterteo89_

No, RE2 in my opinion is only the best Resident Evil game. But the best PS1 game ?

No, RE2 was amazing, but so were other PS1 games that i bought as a kid when they were published :

1- Metal Gear Solid 1 !!! THE BEST. ( But i have to say that it was even better with the italian voice acting. )

It was surely better than RE2. I mean... story was great. Characters were great ( Psyco Mantis for example ). Music was a masterpiece. Voice acting was very good.

And there was so well made Drama. Don't tell me you did not cry or felt sad when you had to execute Sniper Wolf.

2- Crash Bandicoot 1. Excellent game

3- Silent Hill 1 ( i love it ) / Alone in the Dark: the new nightmare ( scary, scary...) / The Legend of Dragoon ( Better than all of FF games. Emperor Doel was a better enemy than Shepiroth, just for doing a simple example )

4- Abe's Oddysee

And then we have Parasite Eve 1 that is...wow. I can't give that game a score, because it's almost a movie.

Eve, the main boss, is the best female antagonist of videogame history. In my opinion.

Do you remember her theme ?

When i was a kid this gave me the goosebumps, it really let you feel Eve's power. A evil goddess ( almost, not truly... )

Last edited:

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
NAAH.. as much i love RE2&3 they're not "the best" that honour goes to MegamanX4 and Tekken 3 RE 2&3 are still in my top 5 though.

Agent Spike

Number 1 is Metal Gear Solid, 2 is Resident Evil 2, and 3 is Castlevania Symphony of the Night (in my opinion).

4 and 5 is a tie between FFVII and Silent Hill I love them equally.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
As much as I love RE 2 there are certainly bigger and more legendary games with a much greater impact on PSOne. For one there is the original Tomb Raider which arguably might have the biggest impact in the history of PlayStation and completely revolutionized the way people perceive gaming culture.

Then there is Metal Gear Solid, which many consider one of the greatest games ever made. Although I am no MGS fan, one cannot ignore the massive impact that game had on the entire industry.

and then there is Final Fantasy VII, which might be THE greatest role playing game of the 90s on consoles. That game sold over 10 million units, completely redefined and revolultionized the genre of RPG and is probably one of the biggest milestones in all of videogaming of the last 20 years.

Granted I might be biased since i am a HUGE Final Fantasy fanatic (only series I love more then RE) but the importance, success and legacy of FF VII is undeniable. Personaly I like FF IX even better then VII as a total gaming package but VII had by far the biggest impact and importance for the industry in the 90s.

So yeah while RE 2 was definitely a huge game in the 90s and popularized the survival horror genre, it did not have such a huge impact or legacy on the industry as a whole like Final Fantasy VII, Tomb Raider or MGS had. I am not talking about my personal preference here btw (I could not care less about MGS).

my favorite 5 PSOne games would be:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Resident Evil 3
5. Tekken 3

Last edited:

Masterteo89_

As much as I love RE 2 there are certainly bigger and more legendary games with a much greater impact on PSOne. For one there is the original Tomb Raider which arguably might have the biggest impact in the history of PlayStation and completely revolutionized the way people perceive gaming culture.

Then there is Metal Gear Solid, which many consider one of the greatest games ever made. Although I am no MGS fan, one cannot ignore the massive impact that game had on the entire industry.

and then there is Final Fantasy VII, which might be THE greatest role playing game of ALL TIME on consoles. That game sold over 10 million units, completely redefined and revolultionized the genre of RPG and is probably one of the biggest milestones in all of videogaming of the last 20 years.

Granted I might be biased since i am a HUGE Final Fantasy fanatic (only series I love more then RE) but the importance, success and legacy of FF VII is undeniable. Personaly I like FF IX even better then VII as a total gaming package but VII had by far the biggest impact and importance for the industry in the 90s.

So yeah while RE 2 was definitely a huge game in the 90s and popularized the survival horror genre, it did not have such a huge impact or legacy on the industry as a whole like Final Fantasy VII, Tomb Raider or MGS had. I am not talking about my personal preference here btw (I could not care less about MGS).

my favorite 5 PSOne games would be:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Resident Evil 3
5. Tekken 3

About FFVII, i won't be so sure. I mean, FF6 for example was a way better FF game in my opinion ( and even in many other's opinions).

FFVII had a lot of popularity mostly because it was the first FF game in 3D for a console like PSX. Plot, characters and so on were way better in FF6.

But as i sayd, it's only my opinion. There is no point in discussing what game is better, FF6 or FF7.

The only point i want to show is that i would not compare FF7 to other FF games because it recieved a lot of fame and love simply because it was the first FF game in 3D for a console like PSX.

And this influence the player.

If RE 1 and 2 were in 2D and suddenly RE3 was the first RE game in 3D, a lot of fan would crown RE3 as the best RE game in history.

From 2D to 3D is a huge jump. Same thing happened from RE3 to RE4, the gameplay was totally changed with great impact.

Result ? A lot of fans love RE4 as one of the best RE games. You see my point ?

When there is a great improvement, you are bound to love the game because of the new refreshing features.

But for FF7, if you port it in 2D like the other FF games, you would be forced to compare it with FF6 about characters, plot and so on... and many people like me would say that FF6 is better.

But again, my opinion.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
About FFVII, i won't be so sure. I mean, FF6 for example was a way better FF game in my opinion ( and even in many other's opinions).

FFVII had a lot of popularity mostly because it was the first FF game in 3D for a console like PSX. Plot, characters and so on were way better in FF6.

But as i sayd, it's only my opinion. There is no point in discussing what game is better, FF6 or FF7.

The only point i want to show is that i would not compare FF7 to other FF games because it recieved a lot of fame and love simply because it was the first FF game in 3D for a console like PSX.

And this influence the player.

If RE 1 and 2 were in 2D and suddenly RE3 was the first RE game in 3D, a lot of fan would crown RE3 as the best RE game in history.

From 2D to 3D is a huge jump. Same thing happened from RE3 to RE4, the gameplay was totally changed with great impact.

Result ? A lot of fans love RE4 as one of the best RE games. You see my point ?

When there is a great improvement, you are bound to love the game because of the new refreshing features.

But for FF7, if you port it in 2D like the other FF games, you would be forced to compare it with FF6 about characters, plot and so on... and many people like me would say that FF6 is better.

But again, my opinion.

You´re missing the point entirely. I said explicity "This is not my personal preference" and yet you act like I said I was talking about my personal preference. This was NOT about which game was better. Though personally I prefer FF VII over VI (I think that VII still has the best and most iconic characters and mythology from all FFs) and never really could understand the hype around VI. Its a good RPG but to me it was never the ultimate masterpiece the old school fans make it out to be. But that could also be because I am not a RPG fan. I love the FF series to death but I dont play RPGs. The only RPGs that can captivate me like this is Final Fantasy. Thats because they have a very unique style and way of storytelling and presentation that you just don´t find in any other RPG. No other game series has ever touched me the way FF has (Fan since 1999), but no other RPG series has ever been able to make me invested in it like that. Thats because I became a FF fan not because of the classic RPG elements but because of the story, characters, emotions, the cinematic presentation, music etc. And because these things mean a whole lot more to me then classic RPG stuff it might be that I view the FF series in a much different light then the more traditional RPG fans would. Generally I am not a big fan of FF I-VI to be honest. Because of the sprites technology and lack of cinematic presentation I always had problems investing myself into those games as much as I do in FF VII - XIII. FF IV and VI especially had good stories and characters but they were never even remotely as special and powerful to me as VII and onward. I guess it also really depends on when you came to the series (I am sure if I had come with FF IV or VI to the series I would see it differently) and what exactly made you a fan of it in the first place, which can be very different from fan to fan.

But since FF VI was never originally a PSOne game anyway, it does not even have any relevance for this discussion. The impact and legacy of VI happened on SNES, not PSOne.

And back to the original point that I was making, this was not about "which FF game is better" (I also already stated that I preferred FF IX over VII and FF X is actually my most favorite game of all time so there is that), it was about which games had the most impact, success and influence on PSONE (not SNES). and when it comes to those three aspects, then FF VII is right on top of that list. It certainly had a much bigger impact and success then any other RPG. Thats not an opinion, that´s a cold hard fact.

Shocker

I have the psn version of Silent Hill and I must say it is no where close to as good as the RE games for ps1. Creepy yeah, but game play is pretty bad, graphics terrible and story is ridiculous. Just my opinion.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
RE2 is my favourite Resi game on PS1. Looking forward to the remake.

Other than that I loved Tomb Raider 2, MGS, Crash Bandicoot 2 and Tekken 3.

One-Winged Angel

Cecil "There is sorrow in those wintery eyes..."
RE2 is my favorite in the series.And one of the best PS1 games for sure!
It's up there on my list:
1-FFVII
2-FFVI(if it counts)
3-RE2
4-MGS
6-FFIX
7-RE3
8-SH1
9-Dino Crisis 2
10-Parasite Eve

Last edited:

meg5493

10-Parasite Eve
tumblr_n24zlz6Gt71rg0yjio1_500.gif

meg5493

Ok I'm seeing alot of love for Parasite Eve which is great wooo awesome game but ps1 had some great games that hold alot of nostalgia for everyone here I bet. Though MGS1 and RE1 top it for me looking back now there was alot cheesiness when it came to the ps1 but man it was something new and fresh with alot of diverse games so making a decision on the best ps1 game ever would be impossible.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
Not the best ps1 game on the console, but definitely in the top 10 possibly top 5.
As much as I love RE I've always ranked final fantasy higher ;)

Top Bottom