• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake RE3 - Members Reaction Thread

ToCool74

Veteran Member
3 hours in and it appear the reviewers where right about the dumbed down Nemesis and rushed feeling of the game, had fun during the Hospital which is the only part they seemed to be a all around improvement over the original gameplay and content wise but its definitely no replacement for the Clocktower not being playable, also as someone who actually enjoys Reident Evil's puzzles I found the lack of them in this game disappointing, even action heavy RE games like RE4 had more puzzles than this game which is supposed to be a way to capture the novelty of the classics while appealing to the newer crowd.

So yea those reviewers where spot on, I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10, still a good game for any zombie game lover who wants some mindless fun set in the RE universe but still IMO not a great remake of what I considered a fantastic game RE3 Nemesis.

~Excella~

Premium
A lot of people have been complaining about the length of the game, I have no issues with it at all. I’m a trophy hunter, so, I took my time looking around and gathering as much as I could. I really like what they did with Brad, I think they thought of the perfect way to place him in the overall story. I’m a bit in to my second playthrough. I find the warehouse section to be boring, but, every other section was enjoyable for me.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
Just some quick thoughts about the game after finishing on standard last night. I also completed the original the night before just so I would be able to compare them better.

I really enjoyed the game and even though there were some big big differences between this version and the original, I don't feel that it was entirely detrimental to the experience for me. I only feel that the level design was slightly too close to RE2 in that you go to the RPD, the sewers and then to a lab to complete the game. I also missed the amount of puzzles that were in the original, especially since they were some of the most difficult in the franchise, whereas this game only gives us 2-3 very easy puzzles.

I had absolutely no problems with any of the characters in the game. I actually think this might be my favourite depiction of Jill in the entire series, she actually appeared to have personality all the way through this game which is something I've always found missing from her before. Again, Carlos was a lot more well-rounded in this game, instead of just being the action hero, you could really tell that he wanted to to his best to save people. Nikolai was handled very well as well, that scene where he locks Mikhail and Jill in the train car kind of gave me chills.

I really enjoyed all of the boss fights, especially the one outside the clock tower and I'm glad that they kept in that he drops crates if you down him outside of scripted boss fights.

I finished the game in 6h49 after meticulously looking for Mr Charlie dolls (only found 13 in the end) and even though that might be a little bit shorter that the average Resident Evil game, it didn't actually feel short to me. Probably because the pacing was so well done.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with my first playthrough (I think I actually felt more disappointment after finishing RE2 remake), can't wait to play it on the harder modes.

D

Deleted member 21244

Fair warning - a few spoilers in this post.

There's something I'm wondering about and I want to see if anyone feels the same as me. I played on Standard difficulty. Did anyone else find the game really quite easy until the latter stages on Standard? And even then it wasn't massively difficult, though there was a significant increase in challenge later on in the game.

I was disappointed that the Gammas could literally be killed with one flame round, and that flame rounds were plentiful in that area so you didn't even need to be sparing with them.

Something else I really enjoyed in the game was...
... the whole of the hospital section, particularly the part where you have to protect Jill and Tyrell behind the barricaded door. That was a fun little horde section. I also enjoyed Hunters in general, I feel like they were genuinely intimidating and you were in very real danger of being instakilled whenever you were unfortunate enough to be in close proximity to one.

I managed to find all of the files in the game, but only twelve bobbleheads. Still, I guess that's not too bad.
in hardcore the hunter gamma took from 2 or 3 flame round for me, and the ammunition more scarce on hardcore, so it really depends on difficulty, that's why i was suggesting to start the game on hardcore from the start, the game wasn't hard even on hardcore so i guess it was pretty easy on standard

Last edited by a moderator:

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
Most likely unpopular opinion:
I enjoy REmake 3 a lot more in it's 2nd half when it's being more action heavy like Resident Evil 4.
It just seems like that was the direction the devs wanted to go in.
The first half feels kinda slow for me and trying too hard to squeeze REmake 2 into a game that wants to be an action game.

D

Deleted member 21244

Nemesis drop are total ****
He only drop 4 box, in two of them he drops part for the handgun while the other two are pretty uselles, 6 shotgun shell in one and 6 flame round in the other, what a disappointment

Thr original had Good reward if you dowm him

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld

Nemesis drop are total ****
He only drop 4 box, in two of them he drops part for the handgun while the other two are pretty uselles, 6 shotgun shell in one and 6 flame round in the other, what a disappointment

Thr original had Good reward if you dowm him
I didn't even know you could down him when he was carrying a weapon. I wonder if you can down him when he's chasing you with the other gun...

I also wonder if the drops are random. I was watching a playthrough of this game and the first time the guy downed him he got handgun parts and the second time, same spot as this video, he got shotgun shells. (I'm pretty sure anyway. Cause I think he mentioned that he wondered if he only got shells because he downed him twice in what could be considered the same encounter.)

D

Deleted member 21244

I didn't even know you could down him when he was carrying a weapon. I wonder if you can down him when he's chasing you with the other gun...

I also wonder if the drops are random. I was watching a playthrough of this game and the first time the guy downed him he got handgun parts and the second time, same spot as this video, he got shotgun shells. (I'm pretty sure anyway. Cause I think he mentioned that he wondered if he only got shells because he downed him twice in what could be considered the same encounter.)
I think They are always the same, you only obtain 4 box... I downed nemesis more times on hardcore but i only get 4 box like this video

Edit: did any of you notice that
the guy in the post credit scene it's actually Chris redfield, i first think it was jill, but by rewatching the scene now there are hint that he is actually Chris, first of all he is wearing a green shirt and we know that green is the color of Chris, also we can se a punching bag behind it, and finally the hand that pick the broken vaccine is definetly a male hand, and that butt it's not that of jill but that of a man for sureXD
I guess this scene take place after Chris return from antartica and he finally reunite whit jill to take down umbrella

~Excella~

Premium
Omg the Hunters are scary. The intro scene was very nostalgic to the first game

LOL, it’s been ages since I played the original, so, I forgot the hunters were in the hospital section. As soon as I saw the red screen, I cried inside as the memories flooded back.

i love the way they designed the hunters, they look awesome.

Jamesy

What I don’t understand is that nemesis is The most badass villain ever in resident evil yet capcom were just completely careless with him in the remake.

yes I enjoyed the game but capcom have a lot to answer for regarding this remake.

i think at some point capcom owe it to us resident evil fans to explain why they didn’t put more effort into remaking Re3. At the end of the day if they didn’t have the budget then maybe it’s not all there fault.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Well now that I've slept and beaten the game a couple times, I'll write an actual review. I will preface this by saying I only played the original once years ago so I can't make too many comparisons to the original because, well, my memory. Anyway.

I liked how the story was executed. It was short, but so was the original. It doesn't bother me that
the clock tower wasn't present in the game.
I feel like they more than made up for it with Carlos's portion of the game. I recall him being so much more of a flat character in the original and they really did him justice in this game. In fact, I prefer playing as Carlos. Moving on.

While it's kind of weird to me that
codes from RE2 and the R3make demo
were present in the game, it grew on me because it made me feel as though it was rewarding you for playing other Resident Evil games. I also really enjoyed how they tied R3make together with events in REmake2. It felt nice.

I have spent most of my time getting the annoying trophies (1 or fewer herbs, no box, under 2 hours) so I haven't actually taken the time to do unnecessary Nemesis fights but he didn't seem too difficult to down. Just annoying. He was always kind of annoying though lol.

I loved the music in the game. I feel like they did much better with it than they did with the REmake2 soundtrack.

Another thing I can speak to is that I love the fact that
they went the points and rewards route with infinite ammo, new weapons (anyone use the Hot Dogger yet? I'm genuinely curious about it but bought infinite rifle ammo instead), and costumes, etc

Overall I would probably give this game at least an 8/10. It lived up to my expectations of making Resident Evil Nemesis an enjoyable experience since I really disliked the original. It did the characters justice, expanded on some history but not too much, it didn't drag itself on too long, the boss fights were actually enjoyable. I really don't have a lot of complaints at the moment but I have only played the game for probably 7 hours so far.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I was going to hold off on writing anything about the game until I finish it later but I’ll give my general thoughts for now. So far I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the game, the gameplay is very similar to RE2 remake’s, the part with the Drain Deimos actually felt a bit like RE6 to me.

I can’t say that it’s perfect but it is a great game. Perhaps normal is a bit too easy at times. I’ll have to give the harder modes a try afterwards. Still though, I think the game has some intense moments especially when Nemesis is on your butt. I honestly don’t think they’ve misused Nemesis. He’s killed me quite a few times now and seems as persistent as the original. Perhaps fans were wanting and anticipating Mr. X level stalking but, in a way, I’m glad that a beast like Nemesis isn’t pursuing you with that amount of intensity.

There was a bit where my grenades were glitching while running from Nemesis (right before entering the sewers) so he got a good scream outta me there.
I’ve also, maybe shamefully, died a good dozen times now on standard. lol

As I anticipated, I am very pleased with the character development in this remake. I was probably borderline stalker while exploring Jill’s apartment.:lol:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

After playing the game more i can finally give my review, it's full of spoiler so don't read it if you didn't play the game

The review it's a bit long, sorry for that, I'll try to be as short as possible while looking at every aspect of the game

I'll give a game an 8/10 because it was a good and enjoyable game whit some negative aspect unfortunately

Graphic 9
Let's start whit graphic and overall look of environment and character
The re engine is definitely been improved from re 2 remake, the graphic overall is awesome and one of the best I've ever seen, the environment are damn Good, probably I never saw a game so detailed , just look at how detailed is jill apartment, really amazing, there are news paper, pizza, jill stars hat, jill dogs photo ecc, you Can totally write a story of jill life only by looking at thos detail
The same goes for raccon city, just look on how detailed is the danoot shop, amazing
I loved most of the game area ans environment, except for the sewer who use recycled asset from re 2 remake, but that's fair since it set in the same city and time period, also the first part of nest 2/dead factory looked a bit anonimous, just white door and wall and some boxes, but it later became wonderful especially when you see the lab whit the tyrant and the part where you battle nemesis second form, but i miss the dead factory rude and rasty design from the original
The character are awesomely designed, they re facial expression is improved since re 2 and jill voice actor is really good as hell, i can really feel her emotion every time

Story 8/10

Story is an overall improvement from the original who was not that entertaining whit bland character, but this one was pretty good, entertaining and even faithful to the original, it's a total improvement from re 2 remake since this was a total mess also due to some cut and missing b scenario
Character are amazing, jill is fantastic, maybe it's the best portaiel of jill they ever made, they finally give her justice
But the most surprising character was Carlos, he was totally improved from the original game, where he was bland, underdeveloped and uninteresting, but in the remake totally steel the show, i was so attached to him that I was afraid that he would have died despite knowing the original story
Mikhail was Good too, improved from his boring re 3 counterpart, where he just yell nonsensical world every time, i only would have liked a more prominent death, nobody really care when he died, he would have liked jill and Carlos to share a moment for him
Tyrrell was also improved (well in the original he actually happened for 30 second) and I like him
Nicholai it's pretty mhe, he just want money that's all, pretty much like his original counterpart
I like how Brad was handled, he manage to redeem himself by defending jill, is death scene is also really powerful, that scene really stunned me, when he say sorry and Marvin looked at him, you can totally feel Marvin emotion
Dario, kendo and the other were good too but just cameo in the end
Overall i think that beside jill abd Carlos the other character could have been expanded more, for example jill and Mikhail could have had some moment whil Mikhail discussed his past and how he care for his team or else, nicholai could have also had a moment too, to let us look inside him more
Nonetheless character and story are definitely improved from the original and they are far better than re 2 remake were most character are just there but uninteresting, i feel like in the original re 2 character were better handled than in the remake, while in the case of the original re 3 and its remake it's the contrary

Gameplay 6.5
I overall liked the gameplay but i think it doesn't add anything to the already perfect re 2 remake but instead it's a total step back compared to it
This game its a decent between action and horror, but sometimes action is too much prominent, demishing the horror factor, it lack exploration and puzzle like re 2 remake, and you notice that since in the start the game have some interesting exploration and one puzzle, but become a linear action shooter after Carlos enter the scene, i simply just shoot in this section and I don't even use item box, exploration was downed to zero, fortunately Carlos isna good character so his part was entertaining but i admit that it bored me a little when i just shoot zombie
The game returned to exploration in the hospital level who was a total improvement from the original hospital who had just like 5 room and was pretty linear
The nest 2/dead factory was a total surprise, after some general action shooting against zombie we finally returned to some exploration again whit interesting environment, like tyrants room, i was glad they didn't cut this area too fortunately
I really missed the puzzle from the original game, they were so iconic, especially the water puzzle, they should have not cut them, it was a real waste
Liked the chance between first and third person in the prologue

Let's talk about nemesis, his design his good and intimidating especially in the first half of the game, the later design were also decent, ( i prefer the original second form, it was more intimideting, the one from the remake is decent but I think nemesis loose his charm) but they should have used the second form better, he should have stalked you like he did in the original, after the second part of the game nemesis simply disappear and i totally forgot about him, when he reappeared I was like: oh yes right you are in this game too
They could have used him better
From a gameplay point he is a total waste, he go down pretty easy while in the original he put up a good fight, also he is totally scripted, in the original he was not as scripted as in this remake, if you roam the city sometimes he would have randomly appeared in the street
But i enjoyed his boss battle
Mr x was better, he roam the station to try and find leon or claire, he had his own AI, he was unpredictable, nemesis its just scripted he happear on scripted location when the game demand, he never look for jill around and he is also pretty tupid, i can dodge him pretty easy, he is very predictable, he is not a real menace, in the original when you heard his music them and roar you would have realized you were screw but hear he his just a toy to play whit

Now let's talk about the cut content, game replay value and game length, the aspect that every people on the web are talking about

Yeah the game is short and review were right that it was 4 hours long on standard, it took me 5 hour on hardcore to complete it, a total of 7 hour counting cutscene, but the overall game dosent really feel short, it was OK, it dosent even feel rushed, it deliver the story the game wanted to deliver

Regarding cut Content, i was rally mad that the clock tower wasn't in the gamer but after playing i realize that the game works the same whitout it, you didn't feel it's absence, only people who played the original can feel it, because the game proceed smoothly even whitout clock tower, nonetheless, capcom could have put the clock tower in one way or another, it was my favorite part of the original game, so i really miss it
Also we can never know why they decide to cut the clock tower, it was because they didn't know what story purpose it could have served? Because they couldn't end the game in time for release date? Or because of some budget cut? Who knows
I only know that reviewer were a bit hard on this part, maybe they are fair but the game, especially for someone who never played thr originale, works the same whitout the clock tower part, re 2 remake cut like the b scenario was a worse cut than this since the story didn't make sense and they really cut what makes re 2 grate and unique , the Zapping system, yet no review mentioned this and they praised the game
However i would have liked to have the clock tower in the remake, because it has an unique atmosphere and i really missed that, i really miss thr clock tower soundtrack and nemesis second form chasing you in there

Also nobody probably noticed it but i did , but some part of the park were in the game
Take a look at the picture here

As for its replay value, The game is someway replayble but due to its scripted nature and linear stracture its less replayble than re 2 remake, it also have less extra content and really few things to unlock... The higher difficulty are interesting too but they can be done whit infinite ammo, and you can also get the maximum rank whit it whitout reciving any rank dimishing, so it's a joke, everybody can do that

My experience whit the game was overall good i enjoyed it a lot but I was disappointed by some gameplay aspect and by cut Contet, i would have liked more of the original puzzle and to have the clock tower in it , but in as sense i was more disappointed whit re 2 remake due to the zapping system cut , but overall re 2 remake its better game especially on gameplay level and replay value, it was also more horror and tense, while this remake its way too action and more scripted like an uncharted game, also pretty linear whit very few exploration

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
About 3 hours of playtime done (just finished the RPD part), I had to take a break because the game is so intense.

The game is basically like a rollercoaster with ups and downs, and I have mixed feelings about that. There's very little time to breathe and explore, and very little backtracking. I feel like the area from the demo is the best part about the game so far, so its no wonder they decided to showcase this specific area for the demo. Everything else feels a bit... rushed, if you ask me. I'm impressed by the graphics, but I feel like there's just too many cutscenes in-between gameplay. Too often I get this feeling: "Another cutscene? Let me play, god damn it".

Jill is too snarky and feels like a completely new character.

I really didn't like that
Nemesis shows up so early in the game, it completely killed the tension. In the original, Nemesis is only teased at the beginning, and when Brad says "He's after Stars members, there's no escape!" you really feel the buildup of tension, waiting for what's to come. There was a certain sense of anticipation before Nemesis made his first appearance outside the RPD in the original. But in this remake, Nemesis shows up at the very first level smashing his way into Jill's apartment... No buildup, just 100% action from the very start.

Also,
both appearances of Kendo and Marvin felt like fan service cameos without any purpose. They were very disappointing. In RE2 they managed to flesh out both Kendo and Marvin in roles that felt believable and added to the story. In RE3 they feel pointless and more like "Hey look its Kendo, remember him from RE2?" and "Hey look its Marvin from RE2, remember?". I'm also very disappointed that they didn't decide to flesh out ANYTHING with Dario Rosso. Granted I haven't finished the game yet so perhaps he'll show up later, but it seems like all we got to see from him in this remake was just a rethread of the original...

Yeah, I'm mixed so far but I also had high expectations after RE2. I'll finish the game first and then give me final judgement.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
About 3 hours of playtime done (just finished the RPD part), I had to take a break because the game is so intense.

The game is basically like a rollercoaster with ups and downs, and I have mixed feelings about that. There's very little time to breathe and explore, and very little backtracking. I feel like the area from the demo is the best part about the game so far, so its no wonder they decided to showcase this specific area for the demo. Everything else feels a bit... rushed, if you ask me. I'm impressed by the graphics, but I feel like there's just too many cutscenes in-between gameplay. Too often I get this feeling: "Another cutscene? Let me play, god damn it".

See this is the main problem I have with this game and the cut content also plays into it, the game over all feels like a high adrenaline rush most of time thanks to cut content and puzzles and you feel like Capcom was more interested in making a exciting zombie horror escape game rather than capturing what i feel was going on with the original RE classic games like RE3 Nemesis where if felt like they where more interested in having you make a slow and engaging journey throw the city of Racoon City and surviving its horrors along the way, this game just felt like a full sprint to me even though it was a fun one at times. The thing is I would have liked this kind of game had it been a side game set in Racoon City but considering it was a REMAKE of a existing game I felt it should have had the same pacing as the original.

Sad to see that somehow RE3 Nemesis was never liked by so many fans namely the ones who are defending/ok with the cut content by saying they never liked puzzles or the game itself in the first place, your entitled to your opinion but I never got the impression on these forums or reddits until this game came out which saddens me as someone who hold the classic trilogy RE1,RE2, and RE3 in high esteem and love the classic games with all my heart and what they did for the series at that time and what they continue to pave the way or today.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
See this is the main problem I have with this game and the cut content also plays into it, the game over all feels like a high adrenaline rush most of time thanks to cut content and puzzles and you feel like Capcom was more interested in making a exciting zombie horror escape game rather than capturing what i feel was going on with the original RE classic games like RE3 Nemesis where if felt like they where more interested in having you make a slow and engaging journey throw the city of Racoon City and surviving its horrors along the way, this game just felt like a full sprint to me even though it was a fun one at times. The thing is I would have liked this kind of game had it been a side game set in Racoon City but considering it was a REMAKE of a existing game I felt it should have had the same pacing as the original.

Sad to see that somehow RE3 Nemesis was never liked by so many fans namely the ones who are defending/ok with the cut content by saying they never liked puzzles or the game itself in the first place, your entitled to your opinion but I never got the impression on these forums or reddits until this game came out which saddens me as someone who hold the classic trilogy RE1,RE2, and RE3 in high esteem and love the classic games with all my heart and what they did for the series at that time and what they continue to pave the way or today.

Generally speaking I love the original games (RE1, 2 and CVX), I just can't live RE3. The endless running around the city was boring for me, Nemesis wasn't scary since you always were literally given the option to run away, and I never felt that the game was memorable in any way. My husband agrees and to be fair, I've never actually met anyone (in person) that actually likes the game so ironically our experiences with RE Nemesis are polar opposite. Like you said, you're entitled to your opinion but make no mistake, there are lots of people out there who didn't like the original. But I suppose in the long run that could work in favor for R3make since I feel that it made the story and characters of RE3 so much better.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Generally speaking I love the original games (RE1, 2 and CVX), I just can't live RE3. The endless running around the city was boring for me, Nemesis wasn't scary since you always were literally given the option to run away, and I never felt that the game was memorable in any way. My husband agrees and to be fair, I've never actually met anyone (in person) that actually likes the game so ironically our experiences with RE Nemesis are polar opposite. Like you said, you're entitled to your opinion but make no mistake, there are lots of people out there who didn't like the original. But I suppose in the long run that could work in favor for R3make since I feel that it made the story and characters of RE3 so much better.

I had no illusion to the fact that people did not like the original re3, fact is a lot of people did not like the classic trilogy at all due to tank controls and fixed camera, my point was that it seems to as of late become more common place in forums and message boards to use that as a reason to why it's a good thing so much content was cut in the remake and as a fan of that content and game over all it's a bummer.

Top Bottom