• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question of the Week 7; why are some words curses?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I apologize for being so late with this week's question. The topic was suggested by Rathit;

Why is cursing or swearing considered 'wrong' or 'unethical'?

What is it about a word that makes it a curse word?

When someone around you curses, do you think it reflects anythng (apart from mood) about them as an individual?

SNPAL21

Monster
because it is highly unnecessary. Period. lol I believe there is more to it, but its religious and I don't want interfere with anyones beliefs. =]

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Actually I've never really gotten how cursing being wrong is religious. :blink: The last time I checked--which was a while ago mind you, so I could be wrong--there was no list in the back of the Bible of words that you couldn't/shouldn't say. (Or reasons as to why they're wrong for that matter.)

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
Hhhmmm...well let's see. I curse and swear quite a bit, but that doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I'm very Christian, and I believe that people should be able to swear if they'd like. Just show good manners and keep it out of the public ear yano?

As to why I believe it's wrong or unethical...I have no idea why it's like that. All we know is that we've been raised to know that when someone drops an F bomb or an S bomb etc, it's very rude.

If it is an issue with religion, then I guess I must not be Christian, not matter how much I believe in God eh? Or just a sinner lol. I think we're all sinners to some extent. :p

Mr Sunshine

Apology.. DENIED! :p

Anyway, I can't see too how cursing has anything to do with religion.

I don't think that a word by itself is bad, but the way you say it. Most people curse when they are angry and anger stigmatizes a person. It's not a good characteristic for anybody.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I also don't think cursing is bad, i do it a lot when i'm angry.
However, i avoid doing it if i'm with someone who doesn't like it, older people, or someone i don't know very well.
Sometimes it can make me feel a lot better, and i'm sure most people do it.

Popo

bruno;74504 said:
I also don't think cursing is bad, i do it a lot when i'm angry.
However, i avoid doing it if i'm with someone who doesn't like it, older people, or someone i don't know very well.
Sometimes it can make me feel a lot better, and i'm sure most people do it.

x2
the same thoughts xD

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
Well, even I curse alot, when I'm angry or when I've lost something. However, of course I'm not yelling at my mom like: ''What the f*ck?!'' I'm saying that with friends, but when it comes down to people you must respect, I use 'What the hell?!' :3

Cursing is well... not goot, not bad. If you know your limits, it's not bad at all. But some people seriously curse like a eh... like a Tornado 0_x! They all say like: ''You f*cking son of a b*tch! Goddamn *sshole! Who the f*ck do you think that you are?!'' And this isn't even the worsest I've heard 0_x!

lena

because the meaning to the words is offensive or making people uncomfortable, if one day "fy" means "how are you" you can "curse and swear at" each other as greetings everyday

tequila

Bottle Lover
It's just certain set of words that may be taken into offence and are rude. Also there are words that take God's name in vain, or in use of that content. I swear time to time, but if I'm mad or like stressed out. I refrain myself from swearing....well try to when I'm near the kids because I don't want them to repeat those words and people think we raised them wrong.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
La Femme Fatale;74481 said:
I apologize for being so late with this week's question. The topic was suggested by Rathit;

Why is cursing or swearing considered 'wrong' or 'unethical'?

What is it about a word that makes it a curse word?

When someone around you curses, do you think it reflects anythng (apart from mood) about them as an individual?
IMO the best topic so far.

I'll begin with saying that cursing is different in different languages.

In Nordic languages (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Finnish and Sami), the curse words have a religious meaning and the Bible says you shall not abuse God's name. Some examples of the most used curse words in Norway are "Hell", "Satan", "Devil", "damned ...", and dozens of words with the same or a similar meaning and of various strength. The abuse of "God" and "Jesus" are a little less offending as they are not the names to something evil, but for Christians it is a sin nevertheless.

The use of a curse word is not considered cursing unless it is abuse of the word. Whether it is cursing or not is circumstantial and there's no blacklisted words that is totally banned for broadcasting etc.
I've seen discussions (in English) about swearing on other discussion boards, where people was not allowed to mention the words they were discussing, because it would be swearing. :rolleyes: This can never be a problem in my language because we differ use from abuse.

Now to English cursing.
I don't understand the logic behind the two most used English curse words. If you break it down, fukk means having sex and sh!t means crap. How could these words become curse words? They are not abuse of anything religious so why did these words become 'cursed'? It must have started sometime somewhere, and now people see those words as curse words simply because someone told them so. There is no other reason! This answers the 1st question - it is unethical because we are taught to believe it is.

Funny enough, the abuse of God's name is incredibly rampant in English, especially in USA. Americans are in general a religious people and throwing "Oh my God" left and right is swearing according to the Bible*). Strangely that's no proplem, but using a word for 'having sex' and 'crap' is a big issue.
I'm sorry my English speaking friends, but from my philosophical point of view it's hard to take this seriously. But I try to avoid those words just because I don't like to offend people.

*) The second Commandment (Catholic and Lutheran): "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain."

:p

69506464_e11fb02f49.jpg

I happen to say skitt/sh!t (skitt is pronounced as the English "sh!t") alot, it is my natural reaction if something totally unexpected happens. It translates to both "dirt" and "crap", but in a conversation in English it is likely to be misunderstood as intended cursing. :p It's widely used in Norwegian, I'm not sure what the English equivalent is but it's no worse than "crikey".

JACKXS

when words is used out of the meaning and to hurt, demean and git widly used it is a curse word and shows others a sign of disrespect i still try not do this not all ways easy the act of disrupting the group just to do so upsets others this is why it is disliked

Hoady

I don't swear much but i do use it, i see nothing wrong with swearing there just words and in the right context work well.So long as half your vocabularly don't consist on swearing but i guess you could just say it gives that guy 'character'.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Alot of it has to do with the peoples connotations with these words, and like Romero said they are bad because We were told they were. However i only curse out of reaction because it's been ingrained in my psyche a long time ago through vast world of movies music and television. While i dont consider these words immoral or unethical alot of people do. And for good reason. Context plays a big role in these "dirty words" in that people use them to hurt other people and so long as the other person allows these words to hurt them...they will continue to be bad in nature.

Now with all that said i rarely curse because i feel curse words are becoming indicitive of your level of intelligence, the more you curse the less likely you make sense out of whatever youre trying to say. And also less likely people will listen to you.

And on a third note, Ego. People use words like smoking was/is cool and like getting tattoos on your ass was/is cool. Its mostly about image but i personally think cursing can ruin your image more if dont control it.

So theres my two cents lol

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
So I almost killed this topic? :huh: That was not intended and although I did nothing wrong I do blame myself a little.

JACKXS;74999 said:
when words is used out of the meaning and to hurt, demean and git widly used it is a curse word and shows others a sign of disrespect i still try not do this not all ways easy the act of disrupting the group just to do so upsets others this is why it is disliked
To show disrespect by insulting someone is not cursing, it is quite possible to severly insult someone by using noble words.

And to say S*** or F*** when something unexpected or bad happens is very different from telling someone to "F*** off".

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Romero;75643 said:
So I almost killed this topic? :huh: That was not intended and although I did nothing wrong I do blame myself a little.

To show disrespect by insulting someone is not cursing, it is quite possible to severly insult someone by using noble words.

And to say S*** or F*** when something unexpected or bad happens is very different from telling someone to "F*** off".

Sorry if i misunderstood the topic?:ermm:
do you care to elaborate on how you "almost killed" it:)

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Capcomplicated;75645 said:
Sorry if i misunderstood the topic?:ermm:
do you care to elaborate on how you "almost killed" it:)
I don't think you misunderstood the topic.

After my first post in this thread, no one responded for almost a week. Normally someone will respond in a matter of hours. :huh::confused:
Two popular threads got totally dead all of a sudden when I posted in them earlier this year. It could be a random thing..

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
Romero;75839 said:

I don't think you misunderstood the topic.

After my first post in this thread, no one responded for almost a week. Normally someone will respond in a matter of hours. :huh::confused:
Two popular threads got totally dead all of a sudden when I posted in them earlier this year. It could be a random thing..

OOOOH i totally took that the wrong way lol, i'm sure its completely coincidental, most people dont like to think anyway i know i dont.

Top Bottom