• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

~PS3: FAT Or Slim??~

Hollow-Words

Sorry if this was already posted I've been out for a while cause my laptop is broken (and still is). So I'm kinda clueless about recent posts~~~

So for people that knows I'm getting a PS3 which is around...3 =.= I just searched in other forums and people say that the FAT PS3 is more art looking and eye catching, while the slim looks dull and...bad~~~

Tell me what you think about it, and which one you'd get~~~

(like the new forum photo on the top as well ^)~~~

Kellyrose

If you can get your hands on an older, backwards compatible fat PS3, do it. It would be a terrible thing for all of your old, great PS2 games to sit on the shelf collecting dust.

I'm not very fond of the way the PS3 Slim looks, and now they are pushing the new PS3 logo on us. :<
Anyway, its up to you. Here is a handy System Comparison guide, provided by the Playstation website :p

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Systems/Compare

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Personally, I think the PS3 slim looks sexy as hell. I like that it's much more compact and more energy friendly. Saying that, the only problem I have with the PS3 slim is that you cannot partition your hard drive off and install Linux based operation systems. Most people won't care about this but it's something I would have liked.

Saying that, when I do get a PS3, it'll be one of the newer slimmer models.

Edit: Totally, totally forgot about the whole backwards compatibility thing. Cheers Kellyrose. Taking backwards compatibility into account, I probably would go for the older 'fatty' PS3s after all. Shame we can't have the best of both worlds.

Hollow-Words

Sigh...I heard about both the backwards compatible and the Linux thing in Gamestop today..didn't get what it was for till now...~~~
I do kinda wanna get a PS3 that can play PS2 games...the thing is...I don't know hot to install these things myself, or is there someone I can go for??~~~

And I checked the website just now (thanks =])
And whats the "HDMI output for 1080p resolution" for, it's sold seperately and I don't know if I can even use it...cause I'm planning to get a " acer 23" hdmi monitor"...will it work...
I just needa know xp~~~

Kellyrose

If your Playstation is backwards compatible it will play them automatically, you don't need to install anything. The only thing you would need to do would be to create a memory card slot if you want to save your game.

HDMI Output for 1080p resolution means that if you have an HD TV that supports 1080p, you can hook it up with the output and it will use that resolution. I don't think it comes with the HDMI cable, so you would have to go buy one of those, which are around 20-25$.

Hollow-Words

Ahh..I see...but...I hope I can find one thats backwards compatible...if I can't then I'll just get a slim and play the PS3 games, I'm down with that~~~
And...hmm, guess I needa spend another 20-25 dollars =.=~~~

thanks though =] and I'm not even sure if i can get it yet xp needa wait for my dad to say yes and give me to money to get it. I saved money for games and acessories~~~

I might have more questions though...I'll ask you alter =]~~~

Kellyrose

There are a lot of them on Ebay. Most of them are used though, but if you don't mind that, then they are also cheaper.

Hollow-Words

Nah, I don't think I have the patiences for E-bay and well...I'm not even sure if I'm allowed yet. dad didn't give me the green light yet~~~

Would LCD be better or HDMI??~~~

And should i just get the 120G or the 250G??...=s cause I personally don't see the difference =p~~~

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Hollow-Words;60050 said:
Would LCD be better or HDMI??~~~

And should i just get the 120G or the 250G??...=s cause I personally don't see the difference =p~~~
A LCD tv with HDMI output is the best you can get.

The difference between 120 and 250 is 130 GB!! That is a lot. Buy the biggest one if it's not too expensive. I don't know how much more expensive the 250 is and I don't know how much you would like to install.

T Dot

the i might get a ps3 and Im planning to get the original fat one... its like the ps2 original and ps2 slim, the slim ones always breaks.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I was in an elecronics warehouse two days ago. The guy a spoke with said that the new slim PS3 is backwards compatible.

I don't know if he was mistaken. I'll ask another guy next time.

Thanks for link Kellyrose. On that website no PS3 models are backwards compatible.

Valentine

Hard To Kill
T Dot;61178 said:
the i might get a ps3 and Im planning to get the original fat one... its like the ps2 original and ps2 slim, the slim ones always breaks.

Your at the right track. Always get the original. The Slim is just an empty shell.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
T Dot;61178 said:
its like the ps2 original and ps2 slim, the slim ones always breaks.
I have heard the opposite; the fat PS2 has more problems than the slim PS2.

Kellyrose

Romero;62103 said:

I have heard the opposite; the fat PS2 has more problems than the slim PS2.

Well, I bought a phat ps2 when they first came out and it still works fine. There was an issue about a year ago when it wouldn't read any disks (I bought the ps3 because I thought it was broken,) but I just dusted out the inside and it started working again.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Hollow-Words;60031 said:
Sorry if this was already posted I've been out for a while cause my laptop is broken (and still is). So I'm kinda clueless about recent posts~~~

So for people that knows I'm getting a PS3 which is around...3 =.= I just searched in other forums and people say that the FAT PS3 is more art looking and eye catching, while the slim looks dull and...bad~~~

Tell me what you think about it, and which one you'd get~~~

(like the new forum photo on the top as well ^)~~~

If you can, do the fat one. It is a gorgeous looking system. Really. I was surprised when I took the thing out of the box when I first got it a few years back. It's so sharp looking.

Kellyrose

For anyone still doubting that this is a totally awesome system, check out this post I found on the PSforums:

psich0m4n said:
So this past Wednesday Dec 16th somebody broke into my apartment while I was at work and stole about 24 ps3 video games, 45 ps3 games, 52 snes games, all of my consoles including my PS3 and components including a PS3 camera. What the thieve didn't know is that I had my PS3 connected to my PSP. As some of you know, once you hook up your PSP to your PS3 you can remotely control your PS3 through your PSP through a local or internet connection. I tried every day, every hour to see if by any chance the thieve connected the PS3 to the internet, surely on Friday Dec 18th at around 11:30pm I was able to turn on the PS3 from my home by using my PSP using my internet connection. I opened a chat room, turned on the camera and surely enough I got to see a close look at the thieves face! (probably looking at it wondering why the PS3 had turned on by itself!!!), with my digital camera readily available I took a picture of the PSP screen with the thieves face!! Called the police and they quickly recognized the person!!!! LONG STORY SHORT, I GOT MY PS3 WITH NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER AND ALL OF MY GAMES WERE RECOVERED!.

It only does everything, eh?

Top Bottom