• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Novistadors and their eyes

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Discussion on whether the eye color is random or not.

Quote from wiki:
The Eye colour depends on the "mode" the Novistador is in, for example, the default colour for the Novistador is blue,
when it doesn't notice Leon, whereas the colour is green when they detect Leon, and red in the middle of attacking.

-End of quote.

Is this true? I'm unsure. To me, the color seems completely random.

MY OWN EXPERIENCES FROM THE SEWERS IN CHAPTER 3-2:

-A Novistador that is (or is about to) attacking me, can drop both red and green color.

-A Novistador that is idling on the spot where it spawned, can drop both red and green color. They are not
attacking, or about to attack.

-One time a Novistador dropped the blue eye when it should not. It attacked me, then I killed it. Blue color is only
dropped if it had not spotted me? Not true in this case.

Can you back up the article? Or is your own experiences similar to mine? Please discuss.

That article is a wiki, anyone can edit and add to it. It's not necessarily correct.

Zombie Enclave

Well, I have noticed they MOSTLY make their eyes turn red when they are real close to Leon and green is running after him and the blue is far away, not noticing much. So I think it was right unless something is wrong with your game. But that was my experience.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
When Ive played RE4 in the past, I thought it was just random to what eye colour the bugs had, you get those butterfly lanterns you can fill with the bug eyes, all three different colour gems, cant remmember which colour I got most... but out of the three I think the blue was most rare for me. but im unsure!! lol

you only need 2 of all three to fill those 2 lanterns, cant remmember if there is three lanterns ahah, though you like to perfect that game dont you Romero :p either way, theres quite alot of bugs in the game,Idid not think the eye colour changed depending on how/when you killed them.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I didn't really pay much attention to what they were doing when I killed them or what colour eyes they dropped. I think I had a pretty equal number of each, though.

Coincidentally, I am right at that part of the game again now, so I'll definitely keep a look out. It's pretty neat if it's true, but as other memberss have said, there doesn't seem to be a very steady pattern.

ResidentZelda

To me it's completetly random because there's a game that I got a struck of luck and I got 2 blue eyes in a row and then there's a bad lucked game that I don't get any blue eyes at all so yeah pretty much is more random to me and like LFF I never paid attention to what they were doing when a killed them so yeah I can't tell.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
echoey;43182 said:
When Ive played RE4 in the past, I thought it was just random to what eye colour the bugs had, you get those
butterfly lanterns you can fill with the bug eyes, all three different colour gems, cant remmember which
colour I got most... but out of the three I think the blue was most rare for me. but im unsure!! lol

you only need 2 of all three to fill those 2 lanterns, cant remmember if there is three lanterns ahah, though
you like to perfect that game dont you Romero :p either way, theres quite alot of bugs in the game,Idid not
think the eye colour changed depending on how/when you killed them.
Most common is green, but red is almost as common. The value is: Blue 3000, Red 1500, Green 1000.
If the article is true, then your method of dealing with them dictates the odds for each color. If you prefer
to snipe them you should get a few blue eyes. I do snipe them (one shot kills them if you hit their mouth)
and I do get some blue. But green and red is most common still.

Yeah I tend to strive for perfectionism and make the game harder than it need to be. One shot one kill is my
motto. :p

La Femme Fatale;43189 said:

Coincidentally, I am right at that part of the game again now, so I'll definitely keep a look out. It's
pretty neat if it's true, but as other memberss have said, there doesn't seem to be a very steady pattern.
Please keep a look out. It seems the chance for blue eyes increases if you kill them in one shot (hit their
mouth), but as I said, I did get a blue eye one time when it had spotted me (it attacked), but that was also
a one shot one kill.

Trinity;43192 said:
It was all random for me I think..But unlike echoey,I had most of the blue ones.
Darling, you always have the nice blue eyes. :p

You got most of the blue ones in the game? Lucky you. :)

Broken Butterfly

I'm fairly certain it's accurate. I get green the most and red not quite as frequently, but still often. Blue is rare, but that's probably because I run around like a wild man and blow things up with my rocket launcher without caring about the eye color.

And I read about it on the Resident Evil wiki page.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Please keep a look out. It seems the chance for blue eyes increases if you kill them in one shot (hit their mouth), but as I said, I did get a blue eye one time when it had spotted me (it attacked), but that was also a one shot one kill.
You know what- I did notice the pattern you mentioned in the original post. I got one of each colour; I ambushed the novistador that dropped the blue, the one that dropped the green eye was kinda stuck but he was *trying* to run at me, and the red one I got right after an acid spill... the rest of them dropped ammo though.

Maybe it is true? Some other people should try it out before we come to a verdict, haha.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
La Femme Fatale;43289 said:

You know what- I did notice the pattern you mentioned in the original post. I got one of each colour; I ambushed the
novistador that dropped the blue, the one that dropped the green eye was kinda stuck but he was *trying* to run at
me, and the red one I got right after an acid spill... the rest of them dropped ammo though.

Maybe it is true? Some other people should try it out before we come to a verdict, haha.
12 Novistadors, 3 eyes wasn't much. But the chance for getting ammo increases if you're low on ammo for one or
more of your weapons.

When you got the blue eye, did you kill it before it could see what attacked it? A one-shot kill?
The default "mode" is said to be the blue eye, and this is supposed to change when it detecs an enemy.

Another peculiar thing is how thw whole head glows green when it spawns. Or maybe this indicates that it changes
mode. Does it ever glow red? It sometimes also glows green when it comes towards me.

I have not found that a green glowing head always drops a green eye. I'll try to pay more attention to this later.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Romero;43313 said:
12 Novistadors, 3 eyes wasn't much. But the chance for getting ammo increases if you're low on ammo for one or
more of your weapons.

When you got the blue eye, did you kill it before it could see what attacked it? A one-shot kill?
The default "mode" is said to be the blue eye, and this is supposed to change when it detecs an enemy.
When I got the blue eye, the little bugger was just kind of chillin' up in his nest there. :p I am certain he didn't see me.

Anyway, I just went though the novistador nest (the one with the two lights), and I got 12 green, 8 red, and 1 blue. I got the blue from the first bug I shot, and he didn't notice me either. After that, I'm pretty sure every novistador I killed either noticed me or was trying to attack me, haha. So, yeah, I think this thing might be right.

Sephiroxas

My friend once told me it was whatever cooler their eyes were when you shot them. That proved to be false, because I'd shoot when it had red eyes and I'd get a blue drop. I agree on the random part, I can never seem to get the coolers that I want. :lol:

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
"Cooler". I like your accent. :D

Your observations is same or similar as mine.

Novistadors... They're not natural insects, but what are they actually?
They don't have plaga. Every other monster I met had some form of parasite.
Maybe playing through the game will answer this?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Someone else play through it- in my OP I thought that they were random, but after playing through the sewers and both nests, I'm certain there's some kind of pattern now that I just hadn't noticed before. Try it!

I swear I'm not going crazy.

ResidentZelda

No LFF don't worry you're not going crazy, I was just playing right now and I just sniped one that it hadn't noticed me and it dropped a blue eye then I let one hit me and then shot him and it dropped a green eye, then I shot another one in the mouth and it dropped a red eye so yeah pretty much there seems to be a pattern now that I notice.

bruno

Chief Researcher
I've been playing in the castle part. From most of them, i get ammo, but i think the pattern is right. In the part with the nest, i run to the window in the upper floor and snipe them from there, then they drop blue eyes.
But, if i fight them, they mostly drop red and green eyes. I think there's not much to worry about, because i'm almost sure that, if you destroy the nest, you'll get 2 of each kind. You only get 2 lamps, so it's enough to fill them.

Sephiroxas

oops, meant colors.

And I've shot plenty in the mouth, head, arm, stomach, while they're attacking me, and I hardly ever get a red drop.

Broken Butterfly

I was trying to figure this out today, and it seems that they drop blue less often than the others, but I attribute it to the fact that it costs more. :p I really didn't find too much of a pattern.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
There might be a "pattern", but this pattern seems to be situational.
With this I mean, you'll almost never get a blue eye if you run into the bugs. If you run into them, they'll drop green
or red. (Although I did get a blue one in this situation one single time.)

The rule ("pattern") seems to be as follows:

BLUE EYE: If the bug is killed before it sees Leon. But as I mentioned a Novistador that had attacked me dropped a
blue eye one time. But I suspect that I killed it while I was behind it, so I did maybe get the blue eye because it
did not see me at the moment I shot it?

RED EYE: I'm not so sure about this. I often get it when the Novistador is aware of me, and the distance between me
and the bug seems to not matter. Maybe its eye is red when it PLANS to attack, regardless of distance?

GREEN EYE: I'm not sure about this either. I often get it when the Novistador is aware of me, and the distance
between me and the bug seems to not matter. Maybe its eye is green when it is aware of me, but have not decided
to attack?

Top Bottom