• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 No merchant/ no saving typewriter Professional challenge.

Dos

Ah I've just remembered that on my version at least, the five scythe zealots who appear when the stairs drop don't appear on your first normal playthrough, but will from second and subsequent playthroughs. They do on pro though.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Are you sure they won't be there if you play well on your first (normal) game?

I can have them there on my first (normal) game.

Dos

Actually you might have a point- I remember the first ever time I played through on normal they weren't there, but that could possibly be because I had died multiple times both in the cabin fight in 2-2 and then fighting Mendez.

They've always appeared on pro playthroughs no matter what has transpired before that. And as for easy mode, they never appear.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Dos;67405 said:
Actually you might have a point- I remember the first ever time I played through on normal they weren't there, but that could possibly be because I had died multiple times both in the cabin fight in 2-2 and then fighting Mendez.
But that was not the same chapter, I thought the "fault-o-meter" was reset when finishing a chapter. But I don't know for sure.

When I think about it, I don't think you get more enemies for being good, I think rather you get fewer enemies if you get problems. I read in a game guide that the number of enemies is significantly reduced if you die two+ times at one place.

Now you have finished the main story, are you not continuing with the side missions? With the same rules of course. :)

Dos

Only side missions on my game are Mercenaries and Assignment Ada- neither of which have a merchant anyway. If I had Seperate Ways I could apply the no merhcant rule on that, but alas I have the Gamecube version :(

Guess I could try and complete AA with just a handgun or something?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I forgot that your version don't have everything.

No merchants on Assignment Ada? I have no clue what AA is like, except that you control Ada. So I don't know what weapons you get there and what special rules would make it difficult enough.

Only handgun sounds good. Or only knife? I don't know if that is possible.

Another thing... When you write about your progress at places I've never been at, I don't read every detail to avoid spoiling things. I already knew many things about the main mission so I could read most of it, also after chapter 4-2. But as I don't know anything at all about Assignment Ada, I'll not read much of what you post. I want to know as little as possible until I get there myself. -Just so you know why I'll not be responding and discussing as much as I did when you played chapter 1 to 4.

Dos

Yeah fair enough, well without spoiling it all I'll say is that AA is only played in an area of the island that is covered by Chapter 5-1 and a bit of 5-2 in Leon's game. So it's a very small minigame- even compared to say Seperate Ways, which is five chapters long.

chrisheva

Chosen Keyblade Wielder
where do you find the butterfly?
is it findable on the PS2?
if it is, then thats the only thing i havent found in the game...
:lol:

Dos

chrisheva;71011 said:
where do you find the butterfly?
is it findable on the PS2?
if it is, then thats the only thing i havent found in the game...
:lol:

At the start of Chapter 4-1, backtrack back to the area before the Colmillo maze. Near the water fountain you passed in Chapter 3-2 you should remember a door to a little room that was locked...well, now in 4-1 you'll have Ashley and Leon can piggyback her through the window for her to unlock the door from the other side. In that room is the Butterfly, a valuable treasure, a red herb and I think either 5000ptsas or other ammo.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
I Have not posted in this thread at all, I was reading through your posts Dos, and I kept on reading haha

You did it, well done, I bet that its really hard without upgrading your guns, it is on pro mode.
Iv done pro mode a few times on the GC version but I dont think Id challenge myself to do it with bog standard weapons.

If I still had the game, I would definatly give this a try. If I ever get the game again this Is what I'll be doing!

Dos

greaterbadass;71065 said:
I had a go at this yesterday... and i failed. EPICALLY. Seriously, you guys are awesome.
Ha thanks but as I've said before, I don't think I'm necessarily that good- I guess I've had a lot of practice at the game and know the attack patterns of all the enemies, and what strategies to use for different bosses and battles. With the exception of Mendez that is- I've never been able to get a concrete strategy against him worked out because there seems to be so little pattern to his movements and attacks- and on professional most of his attacks are more or less one-hit KOs if you don't evade them. He's especially dangerous in his second, legless form. I consider him to be the most awkward boss in the whole game to fight actually.

Out of interest, greaterbadass, where are you failing on your attempt? Like what part of the game?

Dos

On another note guys, I'm seriously contemplating attempting a handgun-only run on Professional. I'm almost certain I won't be able to do it, but I guess there's no harm in trying!

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
Dos;71105 said:
On another note guys, I'm seriously contemplating attempting a handgun-only run on Professional. I'm almost certain I won't be able to do it, but I guess there's no harm in trying!
you Soilder! lol. It's bad enough only using the shotgun as a secondery.

would you not consider upgrading the handgun a little bit?

Dos

Nope! That would be breaking the rules of a no merchant run afterall. The idea is to literally 'live off the land'- I've already done that and succeeded by completing the challenge this thread covers, where I only got to use three unupgraded weapons- the Handgun, Shotgun and Broken Butterfly- plus grenades. Perhaps I could gradually build up to a Handgun-only run by attempting another run through without using the Butterfly, then another where I don't pick up grenades- and then finally ignore the free shotgun. So build up to it in a sense.

I'm fairly certain I won't be able to do this because there are certain scenes that will be EXTREMELY hard without a shotgun and grenades. Just to name a few:

- Cabin fight, 2-2
- Mendez himself, 2-3
- Water room, 3-1
- Colmillo maze, 3-2
- Armadura/King's grail room, 4-1
- Clocktower bridge, 4-1
- Novistador cave, 4-2
- Mine cart ride, 4-3
- Salazar himself, 4-4
- Wrecking ball room 5-2
- Truck ride 5-2
- Military areas at the start and end of 5-4

The common theme with all these areas (other than the King's grail- that's horrible because the handgun hurts the Armaduras very little), of course, is the high concentration of enemies. The Handgun is well known for being next to useless against crowds, shielded zealots and soldiers, and against creatures like Novistadors and Colmillos.

Overall, possibly an even bigger impedement than not having the shotgun will be the lack of flash grenades for killing Plagas- this would be especially nasty in places like the cabin fight, the water room, the clocktower bridge and the wrecking ball room.

As I said, I'm almost certain I won't be able to do it- I may even get permanently stuck at the cabin fight for all I know! But I may as well give it a shot.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
You, my friend, are crazy. :p I don't think I could do that on easy. Jeez, I don't think I could do your first challenge on easy, heh. Good luck!

Dos

La Femme Fatale;71132 said:
You, my friend, are crazy. :p I don't think I could do that on easy. Jeez, I don't think I could do your first challenge on easy, heh. Good luck!
Ha I'm sure you could. Think of the areas easy just cuts out for a start! And the 200 odd less enemies.

But yes, crazy I am. When I fail at this utterly ridiculous challenge and am officially certified crazy, you are entitled to say "told you so". ;)

Dos

So I decided to just go headlong straight into the Handgun-only challenge. And I've got through Chapter 1-1 and 1-2 without dying. There are a couple little tricks I used in both chapters:

1. In the village, go to the house opposite the Shotgun house, shoot a couple holes in the door before you enter, then position yourself on the inside of the house. And then slash the Ganados through the hole as they gather outside the door- none of their attacks should connect if you get this right.

2. In Chapter 1-2, in the mountain fortress area, hurry to the permanent ladder directly across from the roof of the building where a dynamite Ganado resides. The dynamite Ganado will attempt to throw dynamite at Leon, but his throws don't go far enough and the sticks of dynamite fall at the base of the ladder. Which is extremely useful because there'll be about 45 Ganados down the bottom trying to climb up the ladder to reach you! Watch them blown up, one after another. Any Ganados that do start climbing the ladder can easily be slashed down with your knife. That way, you'll use almost no ammo in that whole area, which is a huge plus considering the huge concentration of Ganados in the mountain fortress. Just one thing, when doing this be extremely careful of the odd flying axe or sickle thrown from below...they really hurt Leon in Professional!

Another note on this, why the Ganados don't try to outflank Leon by jumping down on to his platform from the high ledge above, I'm not sure, but they don't do it...

So they went very smoothly. Being at the start of 1-3, I'm about to find out what it's like to take on Dr Salvador with only a Handgun. Fun fun!

Dos

Well I'm done with 1-3 and 2-1, and somehow have managed not to die as yet.

Chapter 1-3 went without a glitch- I went through the entire chapter without taking a single hit, in fact. The Dr Salvador outside Mendez's house was dispatched with lots of backing away, knifing and kicking, as were his accompanying Ganados. I came within an inch of losing my head several times, but each time he swung at me I was able to back away just enough that he swung at thin air- which is when I closed in with the knife and kick. It's kind of nerve wracking doing it like that because you know if you make a single mistake it's game over, but that's the risk you take doing a challenge as crazy as this!

The other thing I should mention, I left the explosive trip wire before Mendez's house intact, and it was in fact Dr Salvador blindly walking into that when he was pursuing me and near death that killed him. A very handy trick, so remember- don't shoot out that wire in Chapter 1-2! Leave it for Dr Salvador so he can self destruct!

The rest of 1-3 was simple. The trip back through the centre of the village was easy, I decided not to even worry about killing the Ganados there, I just hurried through to the locked door leading towards the church. The cemetary area was easy. The swamp was a little tricky, as it can be quite easy to get surrounded here by the mob that swarm in from behind you if you aren't careful. But in the end I left a couple Ganados living and just got out of there. And Del Lago is easy, whether you're doing a crazy challenge like this or not!

Top Bottom