• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 My biggest gripe with RE5

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I know exactly what you are talking about. I had always seen Ada, at least by RE4, once they started using real people's faces & bodies in that whole motion capture process...well anyway, I noticed that Ada had more of a model's body, while Jill, and probably Claire, though I didn't consider Claire as much, they have more of an athletic body.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
^Exactly. I actually think this is why Jill is such an iconic video-game babe. She's real. I mean, I know I looked up to her when I was seven...and even now actually...except for that whole blond thing. We had one video-game babe that was a brunette and then they make her blond...and kind of ugly. What's the world coming to?

I always thought Claire had a very nice, real shape.
Claire_Redfield_RE2_06.jpg

And her legs aren't too thin. That always bugs me when they make girls for video games; most of the time, their legs are too thin.

90424a0be01243f77.jpg

If my legs were that thin, I wouldn't be able to hold myself up.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
There was a reason for Jill being blonde, according to the story...but they probably just wanted a reason to make her a blonde. I do however, hope it is temporary, although I'm sure she could go dye her hair back.

While Ada has that thing model body, she has other assets that make her a cool characer, Sally Cahill, an awesome voice actress. Probably one of the coolest female voices in RE, right up there with Allison Court for Claire &.....well maybe Heidi Anderson for Jill, although Patricia Ja Lee was nice in UC & RE5.

Also, did anyone else think the whole bird mask gimmick was brilliant? I loved it, that whole mystery plot idea, and it adds so much to Jill's character, not that she needed it, but it makes her that much cooler.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
^I dunno, I think Jill got majorly jipped in RE5. They made her moves great but other than that, it was like they made her some second rate character. I didn't like it at all.

ProtoTypeRaavyn

The Pro Zombie Killer
Spike991;83374 said:
There was a reason for Jill being blonde, according to the story...but they probably just wanted a reason to make her a blonde. I do however, hope it is temporary, although I'm sure she could go dye her hair back.

Also, did anyone else think the whole bird mask gimmick was brilliant? I loved it, that whole mystery plot idea, and it adds so much to Jill's character, not that she needed it, but it makes her that much cooler.

Yes the Game tells you directly that the Drugs Wesker Gave her bleached her. All of her, Skin tone Eye color and lastly Hair Color. Doesn't say anything about it being perminate, but it's not like it looked bad on her. She was just all messed up from the Device and the drugs so she didn't look her best.
I think capcom believed that she was a strong enough Character in the fan eyes to take being in a game and not looking her best. And yes Jill was susposed to kinda take A backseat in the Main Storyline of the Game, She has had her own games befor, all of you know who she is and what she stands for. I just don't understand why everone has SUCH a big problem with the Storyline being about Chris and his loyalty, and Sheva with hers. Why is it So wrong that with 7 games 1 can;t share A storyline with A new character. Sheva has heart, and has been through A lot of **** in her life, she worked hard to get where she is at. And you guys Can't Accept her? WTH?

Mr Sunshine

Guess what! I have found a leaked picture of the new RE protagonist..

[spoilers]
brock-lesnar.jpg

He has taken enough steroids, don't you think? :lol:[/spoilers]

Anyway, I do have as well some prefererances about the RE characters, but I think that people should worry less about fictional characters. I mean they aren't real and they don't deserve such a big fuss.

Children shouldn't have fictional characters as idols imo, but that's another topic I guess.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Magnolia Grandiflora;83376 said:
^I dunno, I think Jill got majorly jipped in RE5. They made her moves great but other than that, it was like they made her some second rate character. I didn't like it at all.

I agree entirely. The reason for her backseat role, is because they had to make room, for Sheva...

@Proto, it wasn't just Jill taking a backseat really, it was more of the entire game taking a backseat to Sheva. She was such an undeserving character for such a huge role. A lot of it was because she was new, and given such an extensive part, for the obvious reason...to help keep the people claiming the game was racist, at ease, that in addition to many other changes. She didn't work hard for that role, somebody like Jill, has, and did get jipped indeed.

@FalleN, Brock Lesner, Here comes the pain.:)

ProtoTypeRaavyn

The Pro Zombie Killer
Spike991;83395 said:
I agree entirely. The reason for her backseat role, is because they had to make room, for Sheva...

@Proto, it wasn't just Jill taking a backseat really, it was more of the entire game taking a backseat to Sheva. She was such an undeserving character for such a huge role. A lot of it was because she was new, and given such an extensive part, for the obvious reason...to help keep the people claiming the game was racist, at ease, that in addition to many other changes. She didn't work hard for that role, somebody like Jill, has, and did get jipped indeed.

I guess she should of Been introduced At the Begining for You to Respect her. But she Started off with more In field Expirience than Jill Did when the Game Started.

But I am done with this Thread. Talk crap all you Want.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Romero;83184 said:

I agree on this. Many (all?) other RE heroines are thinner. Sheva looks very good, she's physically credible as a fighter and she's hot. Ada, Jill, Claire and other characters looks pretty but they are not credible as heroines wielding heavy guns. Their waist is to thin they might break any moment!
Magnolia Grandiflora;83368 said:
^Really? I've always seen Claire and Jill as...I hate this term but I'll use it anyway, 'thicker' than your average video game babe? Ada...not so much.

I really don't have a problem with Chris' size in RE5 because, like so many others, I grew up with bulky heroes and even though I usually don't go for that sort of thing...roided out Chris is pretty hot. :blush: I actually didn't even think too much on the difference in his size until I came here and saw that people didn't like it.
I retreat from my previous statement lol. I was wrong. I have only seen images of the RE women and some fan art. This is not always accurate. But I still think Ada (the only one I've met in game) is too thin for being credible for her role.

And it's very possible that I don't know what is the average video game babe.

Magnolia Grandiflora;83371 said:
^Exactly. I actually think this is why Jill is such an iconic video-game babe. She's real. I mean, I know I looked up to her when I was seven...and even now actually...except for that whole blond thing. We had one video-game babe that was a brunette and then they make her blond...and kind of ugly. What's the world coming to?

I always thought Claire had a very nice, real shape.
Claire_Redfield_RE2_06.jpg

And her legs aren't too thin. That always bugs me when they make girls for video games; most of the time, their legs are too thin.

90424a0be01243f77.jpg

If my legs were that thin, I wouldn't be able to hold myself up.
But Claire's legs are not significantly thicker than Ada's, Claire is wearing high boots. Neither of them looks like a fighting machine.

FalleN;83384 said:
Guess what! I have found a leaked picture of the new RE protagonist..

[spoilers]
brock-lesnar.jpg

:lol:[/spoilers]
That could be the figure El Gigante was modelled after. :wacko:

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
ProtoTypeRaavyn;83426 said:
I guess she should of Been introduced At the Begining for You to Respect her. But she Started off with more In field Expirience than Jill Did when the Game Started.

But I am done with this Thread. Talk crap all you Want.

Well I'm not done yet, but I don't intend to talk crap...

She was introduced at the beginning of the game, she introduces herself, but it doesn't matter if she says, "Hi ya'll, I'm Sheva, I'm here because you need a partner".

We all know why she is mainly there, not that it's the only reason, but it's the most pertinent.

Which field experience are you talking about? Jill in RE5 compared to Sheva in RE5, or Sheva's first appearance compared to Jill's first appearance?

Either way, you are selling Jill short, as Sheva doesn't even come close to comparing to Jill's experience. Even with Jill's first appearance, she had been in the Delta force before joining STARS. Sheva was part of the BSAA in Africa, and from what we read of her in her file in RE5, it wasn't as impressive as the Delta.:)

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Romero;83455 said:
But I still think Ada (the only one I've met in game) is too thin for being credible for her role.
I don't dispute that; in fact, I believe I even supported it. ;)
But Claire's legs are not significantly thicker than Ada's, Claire is wearing high boots. Neither of them looks like a fighting machine.
It's not a matter of how much bigger Claire's legs are than Ada's, it's the matter that Ada's don't look like they should be able to hold her up period, not to mention that her curves are exaggerated in a way that's not natural for someone of her size; women that small usually don't produce those curves. Claire is more realistic, and proportional, all the way around.

Sheva doesn't look like a fighting machine either. Sure she may be more cut than Jill and Claire but as far as being able to hold her own, she looks no more prepared than the other ladies of RE.

@ProtoType: It's not that I dislike Sheva as a character...well I do but not because of how late she was introduced into the series; it's sort of like how Spike put it. She was, in my humble opinion, undeserving of all the attention she got and how important they made her. Jill is a much better character and had to take a back seat to this new person who didn't even know who Wesker was or what was really going on until like...halfway through the game! That last shot should have been Jill's.

And I, personally, don't believe that any one character deserves as much focus as she got except for Chris and/or Wesker. Despite Jill having been there since the beginning, the series is one big grudge match between Wesker and Chris and I don't think any one character should overshadow that. That's part of the problem I have with Leon and where they've taken the games. They've made it less about survival horror and bioweapons and more about third person shooter; less about the rivalry between Wesker and Chris and more about new characters that I'm not even fond of and can't bring myself to really care about what happens to them.

*shrugs* That's just my personal opinion.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Another good point, as tiny as Ada is, she wouldn't have those curves. I guess that is what separates the live-action from the video game characters.

I also forgot about that, Sheva didn't even have a clue as to the relevant issues going on. Of course Chris wasn't exactly spilling the beans...although he let her know what she wanted to know, about Jill & all. I remember the first thing she said when she saw Al, "This is Wesker?"

@Magnolia, while the rivalry with Chris & Al is one of my favorite feuds and story elements in the entire series, and was one of the things I was most excited about before going into RE5, I don't think it is the most essential part, to where all of the other significant things in the series should be overmarginalized in favor of that feud.

I saw it as more of a thing between Chris & Wesker, although Claire got dragged in a little, and Jill's part in LIN gave her a bit of a role in that, almost to the point where she is included in that rivalry, although more as a third wheel. Sheva of course being dragged into all of that like a 5th wheel.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Spike991;83480 said:
@Magnolia, while the rivalry with Chris & Al is one of my favorite feuds and story elements in the entire series, and was one of the things I was most excited about before going into RE5, I don't think it is the most essential part, to where all of the other significant things in the series should be overmarginalized in favor of that feud.

I saw it as more of a thing between Chris & Wesker, although Claire got dragged in a little, and Jill's part in LIN gave her a bit of a role in that, almost to the point where she is included in that rivalry, although more as a third wheel. Sheva of course being dragged into all of that like a 5th wheel.
Well I didn't mean that the entire series was a grudge match between Wesker and Chris, I guess I over-exaggerated a bit...no I did and I apologize for not explaining myself.

What I meant by that statement was, Chris and Wesker are the two main characters in RE, period. It's all about them. They are where it started and, as of RE 5, where it ended. Jill and Claire have gotten dragged into their little battle what with Jill being Chris' sorta-kinda-maybe-not confirmed but we're just gonna say she is-girlfriend and Claire being his sister but even though they're there and involved--and they're wonderful characters--they're still not the central part of the story. Chris and Wesker are. Sheva and all of her attention grabbing-ness in RE5 overshadowed all of that in a way that didn't really make sense to me. I was like: "Is this still about Chris and Wesker or is it 'Sheva's one woman show'....?"

My point is that no one should overshadow Chris but Wesker and vise versa. Sheva broke that rule in the span of one game. (At least it took Leon a few tries to get there.) ;)

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Magnolia Grandiflora;83482 said:
Jill being Chris' sorta-kinda-maybe-not confirmed but we're just gonna say she is-girlfriend

lol, that is the best way to describe that friendship...partnership...relationship...whatever it is. Then again, all of the great male/female duos like that eventually get romantically involved, Mulder & Schully, Booth & Brennan("Bones"), among others.:)

I knew you were exagerating, but I also felt that it was getting a little extra significance.

Otherwise, it is definately one of the most important plots in RE.

As for the characers, I see it as 4 main protagonists, Chris, Jill, Leon & Claire. Wesker is by no means a supporting character, but I think he, sort of like Sheva, get's a lot of extra attention, and extra significance...unlike Sheva, he actually deserves a good, extensive role, but I feel his role should be more behind-the-scenes, he's not really built for the larger roles, where we end up hearing him talk to himself the entire time, or give crappy monologues(this is Umbrella Chronicles of course).

But anyway, the point I was trying to make, before I went into all kinds of other things, is that Chris & Wesker(Al) both play a huge part in the series, but the overall, central plot, isn't a fight, a grudge between the two, but rather the fight against BOWs, and ridding the world of them, whether it be Umbrella, WilPharma, TRICELL, The Organization, or the plethora of black market transactions....the likes of Irving.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
My point is that no one should overshadow Chris but Wesker and vise versa. Sheva broke that rule in the span of one game. (At least it took Leon a few tries to get there.)
... does Sheva really 'overshadow' Chris and Wesker in this game though? I mean yeah, she's got screentime but who really pays attention to her story? Everything's focused on Chris and Wesker and to a slightly lesser extent, Jill. I've always thought of Sheva as just 'an extra pair of hands', personally, so I'm not all too sure how she manages to overshadow the Chris/Wesker/Jill issues... but maybe that's just me.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
La Femme Fatale;83490 said:

... does Sheva really 'overshadow' Chris and Wesker in this game though? I mean yeah, she's got screentime but who really pays attention to her story? Everything's focused on Chris and Wesker and to a slightly lesser extent, Jill. I've always thought of Sheva as just 'an extra pair of hands', personally, so I'm not all too sure how she manages to overshadow the Chris/Wesker/Jill issues... but maybe that's just me.

Perhaps not entirely. I mean sure, I didn't care for Sheva's story. When Chris asks Sheva, "So why'd you join the BSAA", I pressed start right then and there, not just because I have a bit of animosity towards Sheva, but also because whatever she had to say, couldn't possibly compare to the amazing flashback you see just moments before.:)

Perhaps Magnolia just worded it a bit different...I certainly see what she is saying though, in how Sheva didn't belong, and did in fact take away a little, however insignificant her character was, despite Capcom's attempt at making her extraordinary.

The prime example of this is in one particular scene, where Chris finally takes off that aparatus that was holding Jill hostage, a really touching moment indeed, and you could feel the love in the air, then Jill looks over at Sheva...and the scene, while still had it's epic moment right as Jill was telling Chris that he had to stop Wesker and all....I still feel that Sheva was just a really bad....everything. I'll get off my soapbox now.:)

I felt like Capcom was attempting to force us to bond with this character they just threw at us. And I didn't. Other new characters have had to earn our respect, and typically do so, succesfully, I love new characters that have been introduced, like Irving, Sergei, Krauser, and as it may be harder for a 'good guy' to earn our respect, I'll give Sheva that little leniancy.

ProtoTypeRaavyn

The Pro Zombie Killer
Or Maybe Because she is Black you Don't like her. If she had Been A blonde with Big Titts and No personality you Would like her. But the Fact you Don't like her, just puts her up A couple Pages in my Book.

And LFF your Right she doesn't Overshadow everyone. People Just hate, so let them Hate. Just doing their Jobs.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
That's true. We need time for new characters to 'grow on us'. All of the games so far (perhaps with the exception of 0's Billy Coen) have had protagonists that audiences are very familiar with, and Sheva does kind of break that trend. Perhaps if Chris had went alone and Sheva was just a side character we'd like her better. And good point about Sheva's presense in Chris and Jill's little moment there. I always found that a little odd.

I just don't notice it as much, but perhaps that's because I haven't watched any of the cutscenes in ages, and I tend to stick to the DLC now anyway. Like I said - with everything that was going on with everyone else, Sheva's issues were the least of my concern haha.

Or Maybe Because she is Black you Don't like her. If she had Been A blonde with Big Titts and No personality you Would like her. But the Fact you Don't like her, just puts her up A couple Pages in my Book.
Woah, easy there. No one said anything about not liking her because she was black and I know for certain that's not the case - please don't put words in other people's mouths. They just don't feel she fits as smoothly in the storyline as everyone else, and they've explained why.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
ProtoTypeRaavyn;83495 said:

And LFF your Right she doesn't Overshadow everyone. People Just hate, so let them Hate. Just doing their Jobs.

Hey I thought you were done with this thread?

Well anyway, I think your accusation is completely uncalled for, and ignorant.:)

I don't care that she was black, although she didn't look African to me...

I didn't have anything against Kenneth Sullivan, or Marvin Branagh, or Tyrell Patrick, Jim Chappman, Mark Wilkins, or the even more recent Josh.

"Fact you Don't like her, just puts her up A couple Pages in my Book.", comments like this one give the impression that you don't have much of a real opinion anyway, just disagreements.

As for the bit about a blonde with "Big Titts", I have no preferrence for blondes, if anything I'm more of a brunnette fan.

P.S. What's up with capitilazing random letters? I don't Get That.

@LFF, that is exactly what I think should happen, and what should've happened in RE5. With RE0, I didn't really care for Billy at first, but you really get to know him throughout the game, and I really bonded with him, especially when he tells his backstory, what happened with the marines in Africa, seeing those flashbacks, Billy earned my respect, slowly. I don't dislike Sheva's character generally, she has many great features that make her an enjoyable character, and I feel that if she was maybe introduced later, or we weren't forced to be with her the entire time, I can garauntee my thoughts on her would be very different.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
ProtoTypeRaavyn;83495 said:
Woah, hold it there, this has absolutely nothing to do with her appearance or where she comes from; this has to do with, as Spike said, Capcom shoving her down peoples throats. And besides that little fact, I don't really think the RE audience, as a collective group, were ready to see Chris partnered with anyone but Jill or his sister.

Jill has been Chris' partner since the beginning and there's always been that unkspoken romance between them, this might be reading a little too far into things but, Sheva kind of ruined all that. I don't know about everyone else but, with the elimination of Wesker, I was kind of hoping for confirmation. Now this isn't completely true, there are quite a few fans of the series, or fans of the later games, that have jumped on the Sheva bandwagon but it's still there. Chris and Jill are an iconic duo, as a team and as a couple, and I can personally admit that I wasn't ready to see Chris partnered with anyone else unless they shared his bloodline or were butch and named Barry. ;)

I also agree with Spike's theory about Billy from the prologue game, Billy wasn't really shoved down everyones throats all at once. In RE0 there was that little time at the beginning where you're like: "Are they going to get along, or kill each other?" but in RE5 there's just Sheva showing up and: "I'm your new partner!"

As a girl, I can honestly tell you that I wouldn't care if she was blond and had big knockers because I don't look at that sort of thing and your last comment just leads me to believe that you care nothing of the opinion of the people here, people you might even call friend. Please don't try to make a simple dislike for a character something it's not.

Spike said:
Then again, all of the great male/female duos like that eventually get romantically involved, Mulder & Schully, Booth & Brennan("Bones"), among others.
Actually, that thing with Jill and Chris has been there since the very beginning, there was no eventually; you has suspicions at the beginning of RE and could definitely tell at the end of the first game. If you played with Chris, their little soap opera ending when Chris found her was very touching and in either of their actual endings when the two of them survived; they always had that connection on the helicopter.

And I understand, I put a little too much emphasis on the Wesker/Chris portion of the game and not enough on the BOW part. :blush: But even then, Chris is caught up in this partly because of that thing with Wesker. ;)

Top Bottom