• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Last Game You Finished & Rate it!

Warriors All-Stars (PS4 pro)
Dynasty warrior game but with crossover characters from all popular Koei Tecmo games.. It was fun playing through the characters I personally enjoy most. It dosen't run too well even on a PS4 pro and it look very.. bad! It would be excuseable if this game was a PS Vita release also.. which I really think it should have been. Overall a fun dynasty warrior game but nothing special at all.. except from the characters / story.

5/10

Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
First time I played through the first Adventure, years ago I played through the second game and I did like it. I know most people say this one is worse in some ways but I found this game being less frustrating and overall more fun.. Maybe I need to re-visit Adventure 2. Regardless both games are really great and in my opinion UNDERRATED. Sure it could have used some more polish.. but this game released like a year after mario 64 and this game really is a generation ahead and it don't get enough praise for it. Still holds up really well and is easy to pick up and enjoy.

9/10

Final Fantasy 15 (PS4 pro)
I enjoyed my time in FF15. Liked the characters combat and world. Not sure if I will return to the open world after finishing the campaign. It's big but seem somewhat unintersting to explore sadly. It was totally worth the low price of 20$ since the campaign itself took me about 20 hours to complete.

8/10

Last edited:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 7/10

Now, don't get me wrong. This game was enjoyable. It had some great tombs and puzzles that really made you think. There were some good side quests too and the standard hunting sections were fun. There were also a couple of cool action sections.

However, in my opinion they didn't get the blend of action and exploration correct in this game. Combat scenarios were very few and far between. I remember being at 40% completion and had had only two proper combat sections. Also, considering the amount of weapons, weapon parts and outfits in this game, not to mention the special ammo you can craft, the amount of combat skills, and the outfits that boost your abilities, you'd think that there would be plenty of chance to actually utilise them. But nope, there's barely any action sequences to truly test these out, and the bow and stealth tactics were sufficient for probably 90% of the game for me.

They'd have been better reducing the size of Paititi and putting in another main location, which would increase action sections as you move to the next place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about the action, but the amount of action felt disproportionate to every other aspect of the game.

Something that I just found out is that you also can't replay combat encounters - meaning that if you want to collect some trophies after completing the game, you have to start the game again and play up to those sections, and hope that you don't kill too many enemies to trigger an auto save so you can start the encounter again if you fail. :rolleyes: So irritating.

As I mentioned above, tombs were fun but the rewards definitely were nothing special, nor were they worth the hassle.

The sheer abundance of collectible materials got tiresome too. It felt too much like you'd expend everything you had, and within a short space of time, you'd be full again, making upgrades and crafting unchallenging. Oftentimes, I just used merchants to offload a ton of stuff and started collecting again.

Speaking of merchants, I feel that they were a good idea, but thoroughly unnecessary except to buy key items.

The story was pretty interesting, but the ending was a little... meh. There were quite a few engaging new characters and the glimpses of Lara and Jonah's friendship was a high point. However, Lara's character is annoying right from the get-go, as she's quite emotionless at times, unaffected and unengaged by what's happening around her.

I guess I can sum this review up by saying that I had fun with the game, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed overall. I felt that they wanted to include a lot of different elements to gameplay, but didn't think it through and realise that there was never a need to use most of it. It was a slightly disappointing end to this trilogy.

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
First time I played through the first Adventure, years ago I played through the second game and I did like it. I know most people say this one is worse in some ways but I found this game being less frustrating and overall more fun.. Maybe I need to re-visit Adventure 2. Regardless both games are really great and in my opinion UNDERRATED. Sure it could have used some more polish.. but this game released like a year after mario 64 and this game really is a generation ahead and it don't get enough praise for it. Still holds up really well and is easy to pick up and enjoy.
This is my single favorite video game of all time, so to see someone just now discover it, and give it such a high rating, somehow makes me relive the game vicariously through your words, and puts quite the smile on my face. No matter how many times I beat this game, I'll never get over it. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with it.

black 93

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: 6.5/10

Now, don't get me wrong. This game was enjoyable. It had some great tombs and puzzles that really made you think. There were some good side quests too and the standard hunting sections were fun. There were also a couple of cool action sections.

However, in my opinion they didn't get the blend of action and exploration correct in this game. Combat scenarios were very few and far between. I remember being at 40% completion and had had only two proper combat sections. Also, considering the amount of weapons, weapon parts and outfits in this game, not to mention the special ammo you can craft, the amount of combat skills, and the outfits that boost your abilities, you'd think that there would be plenty of chance to actually utilise them. But nope, there's barely any action sequences to truly test these out, and the bow and stealth tactics were sufficient for probably 90% of the game for me.

They'd have been better reducing the size of Paititi and putting in another main location, which would increase action sections as you move to the next place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about the action, but the amount of action felt disproportionate to every other aspect of the game.

Something that I just found out is that you also can't replay combat encounters - meaning that if you want to collect some trophies after completing the game, you have to start the game again and play up to those sections, and hope that you don't kill too many enemies to trigger an auto save so you can start the encounter again if you fail. :rolleyes: So irritating.

As I mentioned above, tombs were fun but the rewards definitely were nothing special, nor were they worth the hassle.

The sheer abundance of collectible materials got tiresome too. It felt too much like you'd expend everything you had, and within a short space of time, you'd be full again, making upgrades and crafting unchallenging. Oftentimes, I just used merchants to offload a ton of stuff and started collecting again.

Speaking of merchants, I feel that they were a good idea, but thoroughly unnecessary except to buy key items.

The story was pretty interesting, but the ending was a little... meh. There were quite a few engaging new characters and the glimpses of Lara and Jonah's friendship was a high point. However, Lara's character is annoying right from the get-go, as she's quite emotionless at times, unaffected and unengaged by what's happening around her.

I guess I can sum this review up by saying that I had fun with the game, but I was thoroughly underwhelmed overall. I felt that they wanted to include a lot of different elements to gameplay, but didn't think it through and realise that there was never a need to use most of it. It was a slightly disappointing end to this trilogy.
I literally just bought Shadow last week, since I only got through Rise about a month ago. For some reason I didn't enjoy Rise anywhere near as much as the original. Iv played about 30 minutes of Shadow and just couldn't get invested. There's far too many things going on with rise and shadow. Crafting, collecting supplies, multiple versions of every weapon most of which you'll never use. I dunno, the first one stood out, the sequels not so much. They seemed to get forgotten far sooner.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Just finished Dying Light in preparation for Dying Light 2.

I think it's funny that retrospectively, I think I like the story better than my first time.
I remember HATING the story when I first played it. But I like it a lot more now that I replayed it. Hell, even Crane himself has grown on me. I guess it's because I can understand his course of action better now. Who knows.

Game is a solid 8/10.

It's good all around. The gameplay allows for a lot of ridiculous nonsense. And the crafting system for once actually compliments it. Because if you REALLY want to, you can cause some absolutely bonkers type interactions with the items.

The story is 100% the weakest part. But it's still rather acceptable and has its own charm when not listening to the main antagonist open his big mouth.

The music is also surprisingly great for a zombie game. So that's even a bonus. But even years later. It's still a very fun game. And that's rare. So it has my support.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
What Remains Of Edith Finch - ???/10

This game is impossible to rate. It is the shortest game I have ever played by far. The main story probably takes between 2-3 hours to complete with all of the trophies added in. But it is an art game - super fun, super unique, super tragic. By the end of this quick romp, I was left feeling hollow and empty and wanted to read up on how people viewed the artistic representations of the deaths in the game.

If you view it for what it is - the game is a masterpiece. They crafted something with affectionate love. From an art and storytelling stance, the game is a 10.

However, if you view it as a video game, the game is probably an 8/10. While the art, setting, and story really create an amazing world - the game plays a little slow. The character has slow, heavy steps and there are multiple emotional and physical reasons for this. But the game is overall just too short. I know I shouldn't ask for more, but there was more to say and discover!

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
On reflection, I was possibly judging Shadow of the Tomb Raider slightly harshly and reviewed it just as I'd finished the game. Having had a chance to think about it, I'm bumping my score up to a 7. I can't say that the game was only average and I did enjoy it, plus for the most part it ran fairly smoothly other than loading screens, so that's why I've bumped up the score.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
This is my single favorite video game of all time, so to see someone just now discover it, and give it such a high rating, somehow makes me relive the game vicariously through your words, and puts quite the smile on my face. No matter how many times I beat this game, I'll never get over it. I'm glad you enjoyed your time with it.

Me, too. I LOVED Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, I think it's a crime we never got Sonic Adventure 3. Yes, Sonic Generations incorporated elements of the SA games, but it's not Sonic Adventure if it's not full 3D, fast-paced platforming.

Sadly, it has about as good a chance of happening as Half Life 3 according to Takashi Iizuka himself.

Many people online forget that even a 6/10 is still on the positive side of things. But oh well

Not if you go by IGN's scale. A 6 is considered average.

Also on MetaCritic, the average game scores somewhere in the 70s or 80s, so anywhere in the 60's is NOT good for MetaCritic. A low or hard 60 is average at best and anything below a 60 on MC is bad. Very few games score below a 60 on that site.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Me, too. I LOVED Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, I think it's a crime we never got Sonic Adventure 3. Yes, Sonic Generations incorporated elements of the SA games, but it's not Sonic Adventure if it's not full 3D, fast-paced platforming.

Sadly, it has about as good a chance of happening as Half Life 3 according to Takashi Iizuka himself.

I recall that Sonic Heroes was technically SA3.

If not that, then you still have very Adventure esque games in Shadow, and 06. With 06 being the most like Adventure games of the bunch.
I would love to go back to the Adventure Era at all, but I feel like SA3 happened.

Twice
With different names.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I recall that Sonic Heroes was technically SA3.

If not that, then you still have very Adventure esque games in Shadow, and 06. With 06 being the most like Adventure games of the bunch.
I would love to go back to the Adventure Era at all, but I feel like SA3 happened.

Twice
With different names.
Sonic Heroes isn't Adventure 3. It's the last game with the Adventure Cast, as well as the next game chronologically after Adventure 2. It's still not technically an Adventure game. Nor is Shadow or Sonic 06. While other games reference the Adventure titles, and some are even direct sequels, they're not recognized by Sega as part of the "Adventure" series.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Sonic Heroes isn't Adventure 3. It's the last game with the Adventure Cast, as well as the next game chronologically after Adventure 2. It's still not technically an Adventure game. Nor is Shadow or Sonic 06. While other games reference the Adventure titles, and some are even direct sequels, they're not recognized by Sega as part of the "Adventure" series.

All the more reason why I never understood why people want an Adventure 3 when it's nothing more than just a name at this point. Heroes and '06 were practically the same kind of games as the Adventure games and they continued the Adventure story.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
All the more reason why I never understood why people want an Adventure 3 when it's nothing more than just a name at this point. Heroes and '06 were practically the same kind of games as the Adventure games and they continued the Adventure story.
They weren't the same though. Well...06 would have been, were it not broken. Heroes was not Adventure gameplay. It was just the same cast. 06...Wasn't even really the same either because it didn't follow the same story formula, and while it did have the same sort of Hub worlds that Adventure 1 had, the gameplay in the stages themselves didn't feel like an Adventure game. It felt like something new that was trying to copy the Adventure style, but poorly. All in all, I think 06 could have been a good game. And I genuinely like Heroes, despite all of its flaws. But to me, they don't feel like Adventure games. They're not what I want out of a Sonic Adventure game.

Turo602

The King of Kings
They weren't the same though. Well...06 would have been, were it not broken. Heroes was not Adventure gameplay. It was just the same cast. 06...Wasn't even really the same either because it didn't follow the same story formula, and while it did have the same sort of Hub worlds that Adventure 1 had, the gameplay in the stages themselves didn't feel like an Adventure game. It felt like something new that was trying to copy the Adventure style, but poorly. All in all, I think 06 could have been a good game. And I genuinely like Heroes, despite all of its flaws. But to me, they don't feel like Adventure games. They're not what I want out of a Sonic Adventure game.

It's the same stuff. Just because it's not a direct copy and paste doesn't mean it's any less like the Adventure games. That's just how you evolve a franchise, even if the execution or gimmicks sucked. Had they done Adventure 3 instead of those games, you'd still see the same kind of changes in it. It's not like Adventure 1 and 2 were identical either.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
UNTIL DAWN
7/10

Pros: The gameplay is excellent, the game makes perfect use of quick time events combined with exploration that despise being quite straight forward feels natural. The character models look mostly great, especially during exploration. The story is cliché and feels like your typical low-budget Hollywood teen horror flick, but since that's what the developers were aiming for they've done a great job at capturing that specific feeling. I also think its interesting that they're encouraging you to dislike certain characters and like others as part of the story. I have to say though, that I did not expect the story to take such a mythological twist, and that was certainly appreciated.

Cons: All of the scares from this game are jump scares, which is a shame. Even though the fear of being pursued is a vital part of the game, every time you're being pursued the game just changes into another quick time event. Which means that the exploration part of the game is never scary, because I know nothing's gonna happen to my character unless a QTE is coming... I really would've liked if at least one level of the game had you controlling your character into running certain directions freely without having to make text-based decisions every time. I know the game is based purely based on decision and that the story is supposed to be the focal point, but since exploration is like 40% part of the game why not utilize it? There are other similar story-based games like Detroit: Become Human that utilizes the exploration part much better, like if you go in a certain direction or room you'll miss certain things or alter the story.
Also, some of the characters look very strange when they're talking in cutscenes (especially the girls and Josh), there's something off about their faces that feels creepy. I think it has something to do with the uncanny valley. The only character that looks legit is probably Mike.

Summary: It's a solid game that adds a new spin to the horror genre, with a quite decent story that despite a few shortcomings ends up being rather entertaining. It's more fun to play it together with someone though.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have never played Until Dawn - but it sounds like a pretty good time to me.

What you wrote about those few qte moments - it reminds me a little bit of Silent Hill: ****tered Memories. But in that, I enjoyed knowing nothing was coming for me in the exploration parts. There was so much to see and digest in those sections - it'd be hard to appreciate them when you're running amok. But there is obviously the negative side to that where the predictability loses the fear.

I might check it out in October. Hopefully it's the free PS4 game!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It's the same stuff. Just because it's not a direct copy and paste doesn't mean it's any less like the Adventure games. That's just how you evolve a franchise, even if the execution or gimmicks sucked. Had they done Adventure 3 instead of those games, you'd still see the same kind of changes in it. It's not like Adventure 1 and 2 were identical either.
I'm not saying 1 and 2 were identical, however, they felt like sequels to one another. These were two Dreamcast games, made by the same team, for the same system, with stories that felt like they belonged in the same timeline. Heroes, felt like something completely different. It was the first new game made for a non-Sega console, as well as being available on ALL consoles. It had a completely new gimmick, the gameplay wasn't at all like the adventure games. The story structure and character modeling wasn't either. You've said over and over how RE4 isn't the same kinda of sequel as the originals. You've talked at length about RE4. That's how Heroes and onward are to me. That doesn't mean they aren't good games. But Heroes, despite having the same voice cast, was the RE4 of the Sonic games. A welcome change, that I thoroughly enjoyed, but addmittedly isn't the same at all.

Top Bottom