• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 If Jill is'nt in RE 6? where do you think is she?

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Ever hear of the expression "tragedy bonds people together"? I think it's a fair assumption to make that the missions Jill and Chris have been on exceed the typical psychological anguish of most other militaristic scenarios. Also, they've been partners for a little over ten years so chances are nobody knows them as well as they know eachother. On top of that, Jill pretty much died for Chris in Lost in Nightmares. Yeah sure, you can easily argue that any kind of special forces partners would do that for one another, BUT, when Chris was finally reunited with Jill he cradled her in his arms with his eyes glued to hers. Personally I felt that that scene was more affection and emotion rather than a happy reuniting moment. Even the sequence right after when Chris leaves Jill to go chase Wesker, Chris seems a little hesitant and weary and Sheva asks him if he's alright. The only reason why I can think Chris was hesitant to continue after Wesker was because he absolutely did not want to leave Jill's side. Could that be because Chris finally came to the realization Jill is more than just his partner? Very possible if you ask me.

There’s a difference between having a bond with someone and loving them. Chris and Jill share a strong friendship bond because they been partners since the beginning, and trust each other with their lives. Which is why he was motivated to save her. Of course they would have an endearing moment when they finally reunited. That’s what good story telling is. And what guy wouldn’t cradle their tired and weak friend after a painful experience? Anyone can interpret it however they want, but I see no love interest in either of them. They’re best friends and partners with one common goal, to end terrorism.

slack

There’s a difference between having a bond with someone and loving them. Chris and Jill share a strong friendship bond because they been partners since the beginning, and trust each other with their lives. Which is why he was motivated to save her. Of course they would have an endearing moment when they finally reunited. That’s what good story telling is. And what guy wouldn’t cradle their tired and weak friend after a painful experience? Anyone can interpret it however they want, but I see no love interest in either of them. They’re best friends and partners with one common goal, to end terrorism.

Agree to strongly disagree.

All I'm gonna say is pretend for a second that Jill was replaced by Piers ( in every aspect, meaning the spencer estate, revelations, ect.) in the cutscene where he cradled her....yeah pretty awkwardly homoerotic for two straight guys to get that cozy with one another. Chris could have easily leaned Jill against a wall or something. But no, he chose to hold her. He realized what he almost lost, and didn't want to let her go. Another classic saying "you don't know what you got until it's gone". Having experienced this first hand, Chris could have finally taken the initiative to blossom their romantic relationship after the events of RE5.

Another thing. It baffles me that some people are so opposed to Jill and Chris having a romantic relationship with eachother. I mean we have all these people complaining about their favorite characters not being a part of the game, when Resident Evil has always been primarily a story driven game, with only a mild emphasis on character development. IMO this is where Capcom is making a mistake. They should keep the focus they have on story, which lately for the RE franchise has been relatively underwhelming (entertaining but mehhh), and they should start putting a very sharp focus on character development. We already see our heroes for all they're good for. We've seen them think rationally as clear headed super soldiers and come out on top squeaky clean. Now, I want to see them make mistakes, all of them. I want real emotion out of them. I want to see irrational decisions made based on personal reasons, and then see them persevere through that. I can say though, I do find Chris' story for RE6 particularly interesting because, they're doing JUST that with him, in him dealing with the death of his squad. I want them all humanized! That's probably why I despise Leon as a character. I haven't seen a raw emotion out of him since Ada let go and he thought she fell to her death. He's WAYY to robotic and stiff now.
If they made Jill and Chris develop a romantic relationship with eachother it would just make them look human. All I'm saying is if I been through THAT much sh*t with one person of the opposite sex, pretty sure I'd want to spend the rest of my life with that person.

letmelive311

All I'm gonna say is pretend for a second that Jill was replaced by Piers ( in every aspect, meaning the spencer estate, revelations, ect.) in the cutscene where he cradled her....yeah pretty awkwardly homoerotic for two straight guys to get that cozy with one another. Chris could have easily leaned Jill against a wall or something. But no, he chose to hold her. He realized what he almost lost, and didn't want to let her go. Another classic saying "you don't know what you got until it's gone". Having experienced this first hand, Chris could have finally taken the initiative to blossom their romantic relationship after the events of RE5.

Another thing. It baffles me that some people are so opposed to Jill and Chris having a romantic relationship with eachother. I mean we have all these people complaining about their favorite characters not being a part of the game, when Resident Evil has always been primarily a story driven game, with only a mild emphasis on character development. IMO this is where Capcom is making a mistake. They should keep the focus they have on story, which lately for the RE franchise has been relatively underwhelming (entertaining but mehhh), and they should start putting a very sharp focus on character development. We already see our heroes for all they're good for. We've seen them think rationally as clear headed super soldiers and come out on top squeaky clean. Now, I want to see them make mistakes, all of them. I want real emotion out of them. I want to see irrational decisions made based on personal reasons, and then see them persevere through that. I can say though, I do find Chris' story for RE6 particularly interesting because, they're doing JUST that with him, in him dealing with the death of his squad. I want them all humanized! That's probably why I despise Leon as a character. I haven't seen a raw emotion out of him since Ada let go and he thought she fell to her death. He's WAYY to robotic and stiff now.
If they made Jill and Chris develop a romantic relationship with eachother it would just make them look human. All I'm saying is if I been through THAT much sh*t with one person of the opposite sex, pretty sure I'd want to spend the rest of my life with that person.

You Preach it slack! kick ass response! I'm rooting for you!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Chris could have easily leaned Jill against a wall or something. But no, he chose to hold her.

If you take a look at the other RE games Chris is in, you'll realise that he does that with nearly everyone he finds in a state like that. Richard in the Remake, Rodrigo (or whatever his name is) and Claire in Code Veronica, Jill in RE5, and I can totally see him and Piers in a similar situation in RE6. But I don't think there's anything romantic or sexual in holding a wounded friend like that, especially since, as I already said, Chris does it with everyone.

Another thing. It baffles me that some people are so opposed to Jill and Chris having a romantic relationship with eachother.

I am opposed to this idea because I'm quite sure that Chris is gay. Otherwise it wouldn't bother me, the relationship between Leon and Ada doesn't bother me either, and I agree with you that they should make the characters more human. They could start with Jill. Apart from being the "good girl", doing what is right because it's right, being nice to the good guys and mean to the bad guys, she doesn't have any personality. Chris was just like that too in the very first game from 1996, but he has evolved since then, and I'm happy about this. Now it's Jill's time to evolve, maybe Capcom could show the aftermath of her being Wesker's slave for years.

@ Topic: I don't mind Jill being absent this time because she has been in four games in a row now (RE5, Mercenaries 3D, Revelations, Operation Raccoon City), and although only two of them are canon, I've seen enough of her lately. (You could say the same about Chris, but... well, he obviously is in RE6 and nothing will change that, so there's no point in arguing about it.)

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Capcom overtime has given deeper character development. You say they need to be more “human” but what determines that? If you think by Capcom adding in more romance between characters will or better the story then I’d have to disagree. To me that would ruin the image that Resident Evil is. There is no time for love and relations when there are wars and terrorist out plotting to take over. Those feelings is what they train you to overlook because in the end it’ll slow you down or get you killed. What makes them human is seeing how much they’ve evolved and grew since the beginning. As you stated RE is a story driven game, not a love tale.

They should keep the focus they have on story, which lately for the RE franchise has been relatively underwhelming (entertaining but mehhh), and they should start putting a very sharp focus on character development. We already see our heroes for all they're good for. We've seen them think rationally as clear headed super soldiers and come out on top squeaky clean. Now, I want to see them make mistakes, all of them. I want real emotion out of them. I want to see irrational decisions made based on personal reasons, and then see them persevere through that. I can say though, I do find Chris' story for RE6 particularly interesting because, they're doing JUST that with him, in him dealing with the death of his squad.
That's exactly what RE6 is going to do and deliver on. More character development and better stories for everyone

You Preach it slack! kick ass response! I'm rooting for you!
This isn't a competition lol.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
If you're referring to me, read my reply to this thread, it's the second entry on the third page and it explains why I think Chris is gay. (And apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so, considering the result of the poll... :eek: )

News Bot

Project Umbrella
Jill is likely retired.

She was chosen as a test subject for P30 for the sole purpose of determining whether long-term administration of the chemical would damage the subject's body. At the end of BH5, she is physically and mentally exhausted. Since she has finally fulfilled her main purpose since taking down Umbrella (taking down Wesker), it would be perfectly fine and fitting if she simply retired and became a civilian again.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I still dont know about that...I mean If Chris and Jill are gone, then who else can we control and play in the RE world with? You think that this new character Peirce will be a new main Capcom player?

I always thought that Resident Evil was pretty epic like final fantasy, somewhat never ending. And Final Fantasy characters are always coming back in every other game. like sid lol
But FF characters DON'T come back in every other game...I'll use Cloud as an example because he's the most famous character...He was in FFVII, but didn't come back again till FFXIII...Minus small non-cannon appearences like in FF Tactics...And RE, unlike FF, is SUPPOSED to be semi-realistic...It can't be never ending or have the one neverending characters/storyline...Example: Unlike FF, RE characters age in REAL TIME...FF, much like Legend of Zelda, is not a continious REAL TIME story that every game is affected by the other games...So really, RE and FF can't be compared, aside form the fact that they are two of the most groundbreaking video game series' to date...And yes...I DO think Peirce will take up the mantle...Just because you START with two characters doens't mean they end with em...Star Wars is a PRIME example of how characters rolls change throught the series and how it's not exactly "Jumping the Shark" to bring in new ones...

TYLERDM94

The White Wolf
But FF characters DON'T come back in every other game...I'll use Cloud as an example because he's the most famous character...He was in FFVII, but didn't come back again till FFXIII...Minus small non-cannon appearences like in FF Tactics...And RE, unlike FF, is SUPPOSED to be semi-realistic...It can't be never ending or have the one neverending characters/storyline...Example: Unlike FF, RE characters age in REAL TIME...FF, much like Legend of Zelda, is not a continious REAL TIME story that every game is affected by the other games...So really, RE and FF can't be compared, aside form the fact that they are two of the most groundbreaking video game series' to date...And yes...I DO think Peirce will take up the mantle...Just because you START with two characters doens't mean they end with em...Star Wars is a PRIME example of how characters rolls change throught the series and how it's not exactly "Jumping the Shark" to bring in new ones...
the only thing left to mention about final fantasy is that every game in the series except for direct sequels ex. ffx-2 none of them are connected they are each there own story in their own world

slack

If you take a look at the other RE games Chris is in, you'll realise that he does that with nearly everyone he finds in a state like that. Richard in the Remake, Rodrigo (or whatever his name is) and Claire in Code Veronica, Jill in RE5, and I can totally see him and Piers in a similar situation in RE6. But I don't think there's anything romantic or sexual in holding a wounded friend like that, especially since, as I already said, Chris does it with everyone.

No he doesn't. He did it with Claire, but that's his sister, so it's completely understandable. He didn't cradle Richard because Rebbecca already had his head in her lap while she tended his bite. With Rodrigo he just propped his head up with his hand, affectionate but under no circumstance was it as intimate as Chris with Jill.

I am opposed to this idea because I'm quite sure that Chris is gay. Otherwise it wouldn't bother me, the relationship between Leon and Ada doesn't bother me either, and I agree with you that they should make the characters more human. They could start with Jill. Apart from being the "good girl", doing what is right because it's right, being nice to the good guys and mean to the bad guys, she doesn't have any personality. Chris was just like that too in the very first game from 1996, but he has evolved since then, and I'm happy about this. Now it's Jill's time to evolve, maybe Capcom could show the aftermath of her being Wesker's slave for years.

Start with Jill?! Lets rewind a little bit here, first off, Jill's decision to stay in Raccoon City when she knew its downfall was pretty much inevitable, that alone already says A LOT about her character. She could have easily bailed with Barry or Rebbecca or even followed Chris to whatever he was doing with Umbrella (my memory's a bit rusty but I think he was tracking down the CEO or some new Umbrella HQ, idk something like that). Anyhow, Jill knew when the sh!t hit the fan that citizens of Raccoon would have no idea on what to expect or how to stay alive. Despite all of the STARS being disband and the fact that no one believed them on what happened she stayed in the city that had practically turned its back on her. However, she underestimated the severity of the situation and then had to worry about her own survival and escape.
Second, Jill has a sharp judgment of character. She knows who she can and can't trust. Prime example; Carlos. She was a frigid b!tch to Carlos until he saved her life. When he did save her he earned a little bit a leeway and got Jill's attention. She was kind to Mikhail because she knew he was mortally wounded so regardless of the fact that Mikhail was working for Umbrella or had done nothing to earn her trust she remained compassionate. Nicolai and Dario she clearly asserts her aggressive demeanor through every encounter.
Lastly, other than Richard, Jill is the only character in the RE series who has willingly died for another person (well you can argue that Mikhail did this too, but he was dying anyway so it was his last act of valor. Russian pride at its finest).

Jill may not emote as explicitly as Claire or Chris, but she has a quiet calm demeanor to begin with, and her actions speak louder than she physically ever has.

Capcom overtime has given deeper character development. You say they need to be more “human” but what determines that? If you think by Capcom adding in more romance between characters will or better the story then I’d have to disagree. To me that would ruin the image that Resident Evil is. There is no time for love and relations when there are wars and terrorist out plotting to take over. Those feelings is what they train you to overlook because in the end it’ll slow you down or get you killed. What makes them human is seeing how much they’ve evolved and grew since the beginning. As you stated RE is a story driven game, not a love tale.

Please, after nearly 15 years of experience and attraction to one another no amount of training is going to be able to detain the raw emotion that has been building up.... maybe if Chris was castrated. By adding romance they are in NO WAY hindering any kind of storytelling. It'll only add more depth and compassion to the story at hand, A love story in the mix of all that's going on is a missing element to the RE series. Yeah I could see how no romance has worked in the past, but c'mon it's been too long with the same characters, it's about time a love story comes to fruition.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Please, after nearly 15 years of experience and attraction to one another no amount of training is going to be able to detain the raw emotion that has been building up.... maybe if Chris was castrated. By adding romance they are in NO WAY hindering any kind of storytelling. It'll only add more depth and compassion to the story at hand, A love story in the mix of all that's going on is a missing element to the RE series. Yeah I could see how no romance has worked in the past, but c'mon it's been too long with the same characters, it's about time a love story comes to fruition.
Just because Capcom made them as a group of characters does not mean they have to fall for each other. Did you think that maybe they all have lives and ordinary people they date outside of their jobs? For me I don't want to see any more romance than what's already been developed. Capcom drops and gives small tones of it as to not change the plot into a love scene. Resident Evil is about war, bioterrorist, and things that defy nature. I don't want to see Chris and Jill in love or holding hands doing their job together. That would completely ruin its image because that is not what its about. Though we'll see what happens when RE6 releases.

slack

Just because Capcom made them as a group of characters does not mean they have to fall for each other. Did you think that maybe they all have lives and ordinary people they date outside of their jobs? For me I don't want to see any more romance than what's already been developed. Capcom drops and gives small tones of it as to not change the plot into a love scene. Resident Evil is about war, bioterrorist, and things that defy nature. I don't want to see Chris and Jill in love or holding hands doing their job together. That would completely ruin its image because that is not what its about. Though we'll see what happens when RE6 releases.

Like I said "Agree to strongly disagree".

I've been playing RE since 96', and in no way shape or form would a relationship between Jill and Chris tarnish the "image" of the game. It would make it more humane and personable. It would take it off the typical rails of whats expected of RE characters and story.
And RE isn't just about bioterrorism, war, and freaks of nature. It's also about the people who have dedicated their lives to preventing these catastrophes and neutralizing and ending any threat that is released. You said it yourself, RE has tried to make some strides in character development. It's about time we see the vulnerability of our heroes and just how much of a toll they are paying after going through everything they have endured. Go through that much terror and you would probably rethink your priorities and try to mold some kind of a new lifestyle that would make you happy.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Like I said "Agree to strongly disagree".

I've been playing RE since 96', and in no way shape or form would a relationship between Jill and Chris tarnish the "image" of the game. It would make it more humane and personable. It would take it off the typical rails of whats expected of RE characters and story.
And RE isn't just about bioterrorism, war, and freaks of nature. It's also about the people who have dedicated their lives to preventing these catastrophes and neutralizing and ending any threat that is released. You said it yourself, RE has tried to make some strides in character development. It's about time we see the vulnerability of our heroes and just how much of a toll they are paying after going through everything they have endured. Go through that much terror and you would probably rethink your priorities and try to mold some kind of a new lifestyle that would make you happy.
I see where you're coming from. Everyone does deserve some peace and time to be with who they want. But I'd rather that happen when the series is going to end, not during it. I want it to stay cold, heart wrenching , and evil as it can be. But that's just me. We'll see what happens soon.

tharsheblows

Addicted to RE Mercenaries
I don't really care if they get together or not to be honest but having Jill and Chris married/together would anger a lot of fans as it would make happy, believe it or not. Leaving there relationship status as a mystery or ambiguous is the best approach so that people can think what they want and come to their own conclusions.

Reactions: Jay

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
No he doesn't. He did it with Claire, but that's his sister, so it's completely understandable. He didn't cradle Richard because Rebbecca already had his head in her lap while she tended his bite. With Rodrigo he just propped his head up with his hand, affectionate but under no circumstance was it as intimate as Chris with Jill.

That Claire is his sister doesn't mean anything. I know siblings who wouldn't even talk to each other if their lives depended on it, so there has to be an emotional relationship between the Redfields to begin with. Chris especially cares for the people close to him, and I never denied that Jill is closer to him than Rodrigo or Richard are, so of course he cares for her more than for the other two. But the tendency to care for people in general is there, within him, and there's nothing romantic about that. Since videogame cutscenes have become as cinematic and realistic as they are today, people tend to read a lot into everything, especially when they are fans of a particular idea, for example the idea of Chris and Jill in love. I am a fan of the idea that Chris and Jill are like Harry and Hermione, they have experienced a lot together and would risk their lives for each other, and how many fans wanted them to be together, but in the end, they married other people and remained soul mates forever.

And everything you say about Jill's personality in three paragraphs is just what I said in three sentences: She's the good girl. She protects people, she's smart, she knows who to trust, she's aggressive towards people she doesn't trust, she risks her life and even dies for others... in short: She does everything you would naturally expect from a true hero, no more, no less. And that's where the story ends. She has no flaws, no dirty secrets, she never fails, she's just perfect. Of course some of these traits apply to the other characters too, after all they're not the heroes for nothing, but everyone else has at least something that tells them apart from the typical super hero, and sorry, I just don't see that in Jill. All I see in her is much potential that the developers don't use. Jill is not the only victim of this, but the gravest in my opinion.

You don't have to agree with me, but just like you, I've been playing RE for a very long time, and as an author of novels, I enjoy observing characters and their behaviours, so please don't think I only said that to anger Jill fans.

Top Bottom