• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Helpful Hints

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
Another hint: When you don't like ceilings with spikes coming down to you (especially at Chapter 4), don't run hasty into the room where the ceiling with spikes goes down (and where Salazar laughts at ya). His laugh and happiness will be for nothing, 'cause because of this hint.

So, don't run hastly into that room. Wait at the door opening (make sure you still don't go into the room!) and aim with your handgun to the ceiling. If it's right, there would be four lighting red lights out there. Shoot them all, go into the room, watch the cutscene calmly, laugh at Salazar's early celebration and play on =) Those spikes won't do anything to you then ;)

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I think that is chapter 4-1, east of the Portrait Hall.

It's a good tip, Jaguar. But I like to walk into that room without shooting the lights from the outside, just because of the thrill. ^_^ It's not difficult.

JaguarsSoul

ayşegül ϟ
Romero;76140 said:
I think that is chapter 4-1, east of the Portrait Hall.

It's a good tip, Jaguar. But I like to walk into that room without shooting the lights from the outside, just because of the thrill. ^_^ It's not difficult.

I first were a HUGE chicken when I played RE4 for the very first time XD! Before playing it, I've watched to the gameplay from the game. And I recognized the room before I walked it. For chickens like me, it is handy to follow this tip x3

utunnels

JaguarsSoul;76036 said:
Another hint: When you don't like ceilings with spikes coming down to you (especially at Chapter 4), don't run hasty into the room where the ceiling with spikes goes down (and where Salazar laughts at ya). His laugh and happiness will be for nothing, 'cause because of this hint.

So, don't run hastly into that room. Wait at the door opening (make sure you still don't go into the room!) and aim with your handgun to the ceiling. If it's right, there would be four lighting red lights out there. Shoot them all, go into the room, watch the cutscene calmly, laugh at Salazar's early celebration and play on =) Those spikes won't do anything to you then ;)

XD There's another trap in later stage (I forgot which), but IIRC you can't use that trick again (how strange).

DozingFyasko

Some tips that could help!

I have been playing RE4 for a few years now and played through maybe.. 7-10 times. As you can tell, i LOVE this game. I thought, "Hey, how about some helpful tips." Just so you know, i'm going to keep adding to this list! Please comment any questions or anything. By the way, if you did all ready know about these, be mature. No "n00b" talk. It annoys me. Anyway, lets start with The Village! :D

The Village Secrets​

1. Easy Beginner Kills
Right after your first encounter with a Gannado (sorry if i spelled it wrong.), you will have to walk down a long path and fight a more. As a beginner, i felt annoyed having to conserve my ammo. Or maybe it's just me.. anyway, remember those annoying exploding cords? Well to conserve ammo i lured a bunch of guys into them. In the trail there are two, but i was satisfied. Just watch out for bear traps!

2. Fooled Easy
Some of the Gannado's have what i think are kitchen knives, like the first one you fight. If you run foward (not too much!) at him, he will swing. Just jog backwards and he will miss. Another way to conserve ammo! Same goes with pitch forks as well. But DO NOT run to close.

3. More Moolah!
If you thought there was only one chainsaw dude, (lets call him potato sack) you were wrong. This will be easy mostly if you are on your second/third round in the game. Run into the village but don't enter the one house that starts the cutscene. Run to the entrance of the farm and there should be a potato sack guarded by two other guy's. Kill him, and he drops a Ruby! They go for about 10,000 or so. Then run back to the house and start the cutscene, and after that kill the second potato sack. He should drop the same amount of cash he usually does. Cha-Ching! $_$

4. Save The Dog
In the very beginning you will see a dog caught in a bear trap. Walk up to it and save it and you will be rewarded! Later in the game you face the El Gigante. He will help distract the massive creature and you will love him for it. Nice lil' puppy. <3

5. UNCLEAN!
As you enter the farm to the right of the little hut with the barrel and type-writer, you will see an amulet/necklace hanging. If you just shoot it and take it, it will be dirty and go for 3,000. But if you shoot the stick holding open the panel, it will drop and cover the water, thus making it clean if you shoot the necklace. Shoot it, take it, and it will go for either 5,000 or 10,000. I forgot. -_-

*It is Aug. 9, 2010 and i shall soon update this tonight or tommorow. Thank you!*

DozingFyasko

I already knew all of these, but they are pretty nice for new people. :D i killed Salazar's right hand with a rocket launcher. I froze him, then S'PLODED him. haha.

Gamer56

Several good hints stranger.

These are mostly for Assignment Ada or Separate Ways. The slashing tip works in the regular game on Normal at least.

When ever your fighting Krauser, just Dodge his first attack and when your close to him just slash him. After about three or four slashes he gives up. This works in all encounters and is especially useful when playing either of the bonus games as Ada. The rooftop fight is a bear and guaranteed you'll run out of ammo and/or health before he goes down. Just slash and he tosses the flash bomb, slash again, he tosses another flash bomb, slash again and he croaks. In assignment Ada he drops and runs at you, dodge, turn and slash and he tosses the flash bomb leaving the 5th vile.

This tactic also works when Ada fights Saddler in his Laboratory. Don't waste ammo on him, get close and start slashing and he goes down like a sapling.

In assignment Ada at the beginning, the first JJ is a peach because you can't always see him or know where he is. I crossed over the gap, gathered a few things, shot one of the Infected, and jumped back over the gap. Take all of them out safely from the other side by capping their knees as they got ready to jump the gap. Now, cross back over, move left and go around the short wall until you trigger the cut scene and JJ comes out and more Infected freaks start after you. Retreat to the safety across the gap and go around the bend so JJ cannot get a shot at you. Mow down the Infected as they come. When all is clear leaving only JJ all you have to do is get past him alive. On occasion, he will be off to the left behind the broken wall and you can cap him with the rifle 5 times and he'll drop. If he is behind the building with the ladder in it, cross over the gap and move forward. He will come into the building with the idea of coming out and wasting you. Quickly run left and up the stairs and into the cave. Take out the 3 Infected across the small wooden bridge and play on. JJ never follows.

Also in Assignment Ada. You will eventually encounter the two big armored Giants. Before they can get to the main hall, blast the shielded Infected guys to your left, and go through the doors and make a left then right and jump down. Run to the door that will not open then wait. As soon as both Giants are in view toss a grenade or use the TMP to cripple them then run past them and back through the doors past the refridge room and up the hall and on through the next door. Saves much time and precious ammo. Now you have another stinking JJ. Go down the long hall and enter the control room to the compactor and take out the two Infected. Gather what's there and line up a rifle shot through the window to cap JJ in the head once. Then run and exit into the hall you came from and go all the way to the door. Turn and get your rifle up and ready. JJ will come through that door and from your distance and position he will have to turn before he can fire, by then you should be shooting him one, two, three, four, dead. The third JJ is a pain too. Before you touch the door at the bottom of the steps, gather everything and kill whats moving. Go back up through the lab through the door up the narrow hall and through the door at the top of the short steps. Now return to the big steps. If you die, the game will start you at the top of the short stairs but you'll have everything and all will already be dead. Touch the door and see the clip then run for the stairs and go under them. Have your TMP ready as JJ starts blasting as soon as the cut scene stops and cuts down 4 or more of his shielded guard. The guard that are left will approach from the left, mow them down quickly with the TMP. JJ will start at you from the right. Run quickly out from under there and up the stairs. Go through the lab and through the door, and through the narrow hall and up the short stairs and exit the door. Now if you die it restarts with you with JJ after you. Go back through the door and wait with your rifle ready. JJ will eventually kick the door at the other end of the hallway open, blast him. Door closes. JJ again kicks the door open, blam, blast him. Door closes. Do this 5 times and he goes down like a sack of puds.

Near the end of Assignment Ada you'll retrieve the fourth sample. Do this after you've gathered everything especially the ammo in the holding cages. Once you break the tube holding the fourth sample the Infected lock all the doors and come pouring into the lab. Wait, wait, wait, Grenade! Boom all gone in one blast. Jump out through the broken lab window and unlock the doors. This unfortunately triggers two more Giants and a few shielded guards. No need to waste a lot of time with these Infected. Jump back into the lab. Go to the far end armed with the TMP. As you approach the door it opens and a shielded guard enters and a Giant will also force his way in. Blast both with the TMP taking out the shielded guard and stunning the Giant. Run past him and into the hall and quick exit to the bridge.

One more. Salazar in the mutated form in the tower. This fight can be a pain, or it can be simple. Before you enter this area, buy the Rocket Launcher. As you enter the hall a cut scene will play. As soon as you get control run to the right and expect the tennacle to emerge. Shot it until it retracts. Quick switch to a powerful weapon like the Butterfly. Shoot the eyeball getting Salazar to open his protective shell. Quickly move left a little, arm with your rocket launcher and nail Salazar. He will die with that one shot, but you have to be fast and accurate.

Enjoy
Gamer56

domino29

PftU Spokesperson
Compiled list:

-When you reach the town, at the very beginning of the game, you can either.
A) Sit back and kill the towns people, WITHOUT spawning the first Chainsaw man, OR B) You can go in the house, activate the scene and the chainsaw man and get the shotgun

-When you reach the part with the "Two routes" and you have to pick between the 2 Chainsaw Women, or the El Gigante, Pick the one you feel most comfortable with first, complete the route, then backtrack and take the other route. There are two treasures in these areas.

-In one of the rooms in Salazar's castle (the art gallery), there are four paintings that you have to line up correctly. The easiest way I've found was to put the numbers in this order (4, 3, 2, 1)

-When you first get Ashley back (After sniping the monks out) Don't forget to backtrack and get the Broken Butterfly for free.

-Salazar's Right hand, on professional version, is one of the hardest enemies you'll encounter. Even with the nitrous, Hand cannon, and Rocket Launcher, he still does not go down, so if you want the Treasure he holds (Crown Jewel) you should be prepared.

-take a rocket launcher when you fight the The Right Hand boss get him near a co2 gas tank,freeze him take out the launcher. No matter where you are,shoot him, then he'll blow up into little tiny pieces and die...problem solved (Normal only)

-Fight 2 Salvadors in the Village Fight (And get Double Money)
When you first enter the Village, DONT enter the house with the shotgun. Head to the path towards the farm when you get to the gate, Thereis a Doctor Salvador waiting for you, Kill him and Get the Ruby from him, then enter the House with the Shotgun. Beat this salvador and you get 10000Ptas

-When you and Ashley jump down the garbage disposal shaft (Chapter 5-2), there will be 2 regenerators in the area, the first is right behind you (It'll wake up right after you take a few steps) If your low on ammo from taking the first one out, here is an easy way to not deal with the 2nd one. Put ashley in the metal crate (after pushing the container in the water). When you see the Regenerator coming your way, run back towards the area you first entered in. Back your way up on the pile of garbage and wait for the Regenerator. When he's really close, take one of his legs out with a shotgun (or anything else that will quickly take one out). Run quickly past him and pull the lever on the other side, causing the gate to lock him in. Call Ashley and run through and shut the second gate. Have Ash help you push the crate blocking the door out of the way and make your way through towards the next area.

-Leon: Yeah, I have this thing that keeps following me around...
Ashley: I have a name!
Leon: Yeah, it thinks I listen to it. So I was wondering...
Merchant: I'll buy that at a high price!
Leon: Oh good, I thought I was stuck with it
Ashley: o_O
Merchant: ^^

-Watch out behind you. You never know what can sneak up behind you during the heat of fighting off hordes of enemies. I've found myself facing this problem countless times. To combat this, just make sure to look behind you every so often and listen up for the enemies chatter.

-Upgrade only the weapons you use the most if you have trouble. Upgrading weapons just for the sake of upgrading isn't smart and is a waste. Not to say once you beat the game a few times and you get bored that you can't upgrade everything. Play it smart though, until you have the hang of things.

-I also read earlier about problems facing Verdugo (or Salazar's right hand) on professional. I've actually beat the game on professional on the Gamecube, Playstation 2, and the Wii, so perhaps I could provide a few pointers.

-Run. As soon as you get the chance, run. If you don't have the right equipment, staying to fight this creature is a deathwish. If you want the treasure it holds, it can wait for another playthrough

-If your really running low on ammo on Professional, villagers with pitchforks can easily be taken out with the knife. As they swing it move backward, then run forward and swipe there face, kick them and knife them on the floor. I usually do this mostly without losing health.

-When fightin in the house with Luis against the evil people, stay quite close to him as he gives throws free ammo for you to pick up.

-Whn facin El Gigante, if you have a powerful gun, you can shoot the Plagas on its back rather than climb on him and knife him.

-The biggest way to save ammo is, with the handgun, shoot once right in the face, and then run in for the kick. That gets them on the floor allowing you to pass.
Plus it saves about 5-6 shots trying to kill them.
and if you wanna kill them, after the kick, get knifing.

-When your killing salazar. Its boring but stay in one corner, as far into the corner.
An make sure you keep shooting the tentacle closest to you then this way all you have to do is shoot the eye from the corner (an the tentacle when it pops out so it dont whip you) if you do this nothing can hurt you.Just shoot salazar when he pops out an repeat lol easy as pie, boring as pie to though. Have to be a okay shot to : p like me haha HEADSHOT!

-If your low on ammo shoot the ganandos shins as there running for an escape and even a good laugh.

-Don't upgrade the mine throwers exclusive its stupid because it homes in on the enemy your not trying to shoot.

-In the lava pit in the castle shoot the chains where the stone dragon pits pop up so you can avoid getting grilled.

-If you can't bothered waiting for saddlers eyes to pop up use a the minethrower to drop him instantly.Proceed with a magnum.

-When you get to place in the village where you soon meet the first giant and the dog who comes to save (you get locked in)there are loads of crows. Use a Flash Grenade on them and they will give you grenades, money and a spinel.

-Shoot all crows (one shot needed) for rewards.
Oh and dont forget to shoot birdsnests for ammo and small bits of treasure(especially around the lake and graveyard).

-When you go into the mezzanine hall in the castle ( where there are like 50 monks.) Equip a grenade and sprint up to hit the line in the middle of the room, thenconstantly move around while uloading with the TMP. Worked really well for me.

-Shoot the attacker in the leg, brings them down half way that way you can run up and do leons special move. Which if they have a few more behind then, it will knock them back aswel, giving you the chance for a few headshots. If you do this in the Village, you'll just Kick them, but if you do it in the Castle and the Island, you'll Suplex them.

-When Ada throws you the Special Rocket Laucher do not use it. You can sell it for 30000 ptas on your next round so just kill him naturally.

-In the rooms with falling SPiked ceilings, don't run hastly into that room. Wait at the door opening (make sure you still don't go into the room!) and aim with your handgun to the ceiling. If it's right, there would be four lighting red lights out there. Shoot them all, go into the room, watch the cutscene calmly, laugh at Salazar's early celebration and play on =) Those spikes won't do anything to you.

-Right after your first encounter with a Ganado, you will have to walk down a long path and fight a more. As a beginner, i felt annoyed having to conserve my ammo. Or maybe it's just me.. anyway, remember those annoying exploding cords? Well to conserve ammo i lured a bunch of guys into them. In the trail there are two, but i was satisfied. Just watch out for bear traps!

-In the very beginning you will see a dog caught in a bear trap. Walk up to it and save it and you will be rewarded! Later in the game you face the El Gigante. He will help distract the massive creature and you will love him for it.

-As you enter the farm to the right of the little hut with the barrel and type-writer, you will see an amulet/necklace hanging. If you just shoot it and take it, it will be dirty and go for 3,000. But if you shoot the stick holding open the panel, it will drop and cover the water, thus making it clean if you shoot the necklace. Shoot it, take it, and it will go for either 5,000 or 10,000.

-Kauser can be a pain, but he takes a lot of damage from a knife. Get your knife ready and let him attack you. Just as he begins to attack, slash him and he'll drop to one knee. Then he'll get up and backflip. If you have him cornered he'll backflip against a wall and you can run over and knife him again, but if not then I dont recomend knifing him after backflipping.

-At the very beginning of the game, The Merchant offers you a Punisher for 10-15 Blue Medallions. Even if you hate the Punisher, do it anyway and sell it immediatly afterwards for extra cash. The ammo you use to shoot the Medallions if deffiantly worth it.

-If you see a bin or dumpster to put Ashley in, do it. Clear the area of enemies, then call her over.

-Bear Traps dont have to be shot at, just get up close and use the knife.

-Ganado are immune to bear traps, so dont even try. Trip Wire bombs however, are great ways of killing Ganado. Just walk around it and watch them detonate them.

-For the Del Lago fight, keep your health up. The lower your health is, the slower Leon will swim if he gets knocked out of the boat, so always keep your health green.

-In the room in Salazar'd dungeon with the two El Gigantes. Killing both naturally earns you both of their treasure, but if you use the lava pit on one, fight the other, leave the room and come back, the treasure from the lava pitted one will appear.

-Also, in the fight with the first El Gigante, if you manage to get him on one side of the fire places, and yourself on the other, the onyl attack he can do is his double fist slam. When he does that his fists will go through the fire. Knife his fists and rinse, lather, and repeat.

-For the second El Gigante battle in the double paths. Use the boulder to distract him as you and Ashley escape. Or, fight him. If it grabs Ashely, just keep shooting his arms, and he;ll drep her.

-In the dual El Gigante battle, drop one in lava, then lure the other one to the structure. Climb to the top and manually turn around (not auto turn) and immediatly jump down. He'll start to shake the structure and knife him while he's doing his shaking animation. Get in 4-5 good knifes, then climb up, manually turn around again, and repeat. Its time consuming, but you beat it using no Health items and using no ammo.

-This hasn't been said, but stupidly, Flash Grenades kill Plagas instantly. Just to tell ya, but you all already know.

-In the Krauer battle, just before the tower, dont run past the robots. If you're low on ammo, these guys drop a ton, and take just one shot to kill and often take others down with it.

-While Mike is with you on the island, if you're having a tough time with turrets or barriers, just back off and let Mike destroy them first.

-Regenorators can be skipped easily. Just walk forwards, and they'll rush forwards to grab you. Just step back, and they'll fumble. At this point, run past them. This is a great way to avoid Regenorators if you forgot or sold the Thermal Scope.

-After meeting with Ada (the part where she stabs you) there is a long corridor with a Regenorator. After you kill it, the Thermal Scope is useless. Sell it for extra money.

Glad I could help. If someone (Thread originator or a mod) could put this list in the first post that would be mega helpful to everybody. Going through every page of this thread was a tad boring for tips! :D

Top Bottom