• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DO YOU THINK THE RESIDENT EVIL FRANCHISE IS DYING???

Do you thing the Resident Evil franchise is slowly dying??

• Total voters

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Too true!!!

I want them to listen to me and make REmakes of RE2 and RE3

And they should bring back Rebecca, Billy and/or Barry for some games, we haven't heard from them for ages. A Barry game would be great xD

Torque

wolfgirl;58083 said:
Too true!!!

I want them to listen to me and make REmakes of RE2 and RE3

And they should bring back Rebecca, Billy and/or Barry for some games, we haven't heard from them for ages. A Barry game would be great xD

Agreed, but it would be hard to bring Barry back, considering he'd be pretty old by now lol

wpstudart

Unfortunately, I think Capcom won't bring too many old players back, maybe the protagonists, but the others, like Barry, probably won't show, because they are doing games for new players, not to hardcore fans of the series, what is a disgrace, but it's doubtful that they come back again.... :/

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
wpstudart;58154 said:
Unfortunately, I think Capcom won't bring too many old players back, maybe the protagonists, but the others, like Barry, probably won't show, because they are doing games for new players, not to hardcore fans of the series, what is a disgrace, but it's doubtful that they come back again.... :/

Yeah :( It's a shame, because having Barry back would be amazing :(

KKAAIIG

Yeah.

I mean, it's not like RE5 and 4 are about killing Iraqi Insurgents or something. Now THEN there would be a reason to get annoyed.

But, has everybody forgotten about Tyrants, Hunters and Lickers? Now THOSE scared the **** out of me.

I think that the sense of adrenaline could scare you. RE 5 and 4 have more adrenaline, why? The enemies are more tough. But story....that's what makes Resident Evil, Resident Evil. It's style. All of them have it. A horror movie style.

People are just more used to it's old, B movie style. But you see, this style was delivered in such a great way, people miss it. I'm sorry for getting mad. I see it now. And I AGREE and DISAGREE. I agree on how great it was. But I disagree how people just stick to it, and not let in room for something new.

If I could change how the RE games were made, I would make it with the style of the old engine. It would be SO hard to do something with zombies, sense Raccoon City was bombed. But there would be a chance a researcher could get it, because infections go through the air, via body sickness like coughing and sneezing. And if they BOMBED it, then that would make that one area even worse. Which....OPENS A GATE TO A SIMILARLY OLD RE STYLED RE GAME!
I've been reading your posts and I completely agree with everything you said.
It annoys me when people moan about the new RE games and how 'Capcom has killed the RE series' people need to get used to new style of playing but rember that Capcom still sticks to their storylines.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I've been reading your posts and I completely agree with everything you said.
It annoys me when people moan about the new RE games and how 'Capcom has killed the RE series' people need to get used to new style of playing but rember that Capcom still sticks to their storylines.
Finally...someone who gets it...

aoshi

I dont think resident evil franchise is dying. I think RE 5 was a fresh and good start to a new storyline. But not having wesker can suck in the forthcoming games.But given the history of RE games, there are more characters that can make an appearance in the forthcoming games.

So yeah the series is afresh and don't think it is dying

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
The franchise is not dying. If anything, the fan base has grown. The original style of Resident Evil has died. As much as it pains me to say it, the series did need to change. Whether or not the change they went for was better is still up for debate.

Personally? I don't like it. It's too fast paced and straightforward for my tastes. I like having to choose whether or not I should waste precious ammo to clear a path instead of mowing everything down and being re-supplied immediately afterward.

My biggest beef is the complete lack of zombies. I loves meh zombies. They are a big part of my love affair with RE. I'm looking forward to ORC mostly for the re-emergence of zombies. *shrug* I guess when it comes down to it, it's bittersweet for me.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I don't think the franchise is dying at all. A year or two ago I had read an article where market researchers had said just the opposite, actually. By RE 0, and I think this really peaked at 0, the series had employed basically the same formula in every single game, and by repeating that same formula you can't draw in new customers to your product. All you have is a series that was becoming redundant (for me it became a snorefest). The Remake did help to boost it a bit, but it wasn't until RE 4 that people who were unfamiliar with the series gave it a shot and it's precisely because RE 4 offered something that the previous games did not. Whether you enjoyed it as an RE game or not, I think it was revolutionary, both for RE and for gaming in general and it was needed.

I like where the series is at, but mainly because I'm not terribly picky or concerned with whether or not a game is true to its roots - I don't care enough to be. As long as I have a good time playing it, I'm quite content. And ORC looks awesome, I have a feeling it'll be big. Dino Crisis is a dead series, because it was obvious by the third game that Capcom didn't give a **** about it. That's not the sense I get from them with Resident Evil. I feel their main goal is to keep your attention.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I don't think I will be able to get to the newer REs if they make them...WESKER COM BACK!!!

VerticalE

Resident Evil isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It is in fact one of Capcoms largest franchises, and the only way that they would stop making new games in the series would be if they sold poorly. Even if the next two games sell like crap (Revelations and that action game I keep forgetting the name of) Capcom is too invested in the brand to just stop making them. I personally think RE games need to flop several times before Capcom stops making them.

As for "Resident Evil" meaning the series as it were back with the first few games, where it was synonymous with tank (also referred to as "stick-up-the-ass") controls then yes it is dead and will most likely never come back like it was back then. RE4 was way too successful for them not to try and copy the same success again. I do however hope that they will slow down the pace, focus more on survival while and at the same time emphasize the horror atmosphere.

The biggest problem facing RE though is the fall of the japanese game developers. More and more do they try to cater to the western audience by taking design tips from western industry giants with their Gears of War approach to game and character design. What Capcom fails to realize is that Resident Evil never played well, the controls was always awefull. What made the game was the atmosphere (incredible settings!), the story (stupid and popcorn-delicious) and the survival aspect of the game. Now that they have removed it, who in Capcom would try and embrace the old way of doing things? I don't see it happening anytime soon, although Revelations might be a step in the right direction.

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist
I don't think the franchise is dying at all. A year or two ago I had read an article where market researchers had said just the opposite, actually. By RE 0, and I think this really peaked at 0, the series had employed basically the same formula in every single game, and by repeating that same formula you can't draw in new customers to your product. All you have is a series that was becoming redundant (for me it became a snorefest). The Remake did help to boost it a bit, but it wasn't until RE 4 that people who were unfamiliar with the series gave it a shot and it's precisely because RE 4 offered something that the previous games did not. Whether you enjoyed it as an RE game or not, I think it was revolutionary, both for RE and for gaming in general and it was needed.

I like where the series is at, but mainly because I'm not terribly picky or concerned with whether or not a game is true to its roots - I don't care enough to be. As long as I have a good time playing it, I'm quite content. And ORC looks awesome, I have a feeling it'll be big. Dino Crisis is a dead series, because it was obvious by the third game that Capcom didn't give a **** about it. That's not the sense I get from them with Resident Evil. I feel their main goal is to keep your attention.
Exactly! Capcom knows that new gen gamers mainly want action! But they fail to realize that they have more fans that love original opposed to the ones that like action.

wesker_awesome

After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
No, They are making 3 games, its not dying.
Resident Evil: ORC
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil: 6
So its going strong as of now.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Exactly! Capcom knows that new gen gamers mainly want action! But they fail to realize that they have more fans that love original opposed to the ones that like action.
But at the same time, they know that's a market they already have. Many of the original fans still buy the newer RE games... simply because they have 'Resident Evil' slapped onto the title. When you know you already have a fanbase, you can branch off and try to appeal to a larger group of people. It's like politics in the sense that a party isn't going to invest alot of resources into pandering to people who have been voting for them for ten, twenty years - they know those people will vote for them regardless. They're going to try to riel in new voters because thats were the votes (or in Capcom's case), the new money is.

hogwartskid7

Ex-Umbrella Scientist
But at the same time, they know that's a market they already have. Many of the original fans still buy the newer RE games... simply because they have 'Resident Evil' slapped onto the title. When you know you already have a fanbase, you can branch off and try to appeal to a larger group of people. It's like politics in the sense that a party isn't going to invest alot of resources into pandering to people who have been voting for them for ten, twenty years - they know those people will vote for them regardless. They're going to try to riel in new voters because thats were the votes (or in Capcom's case), the new money is.
That is very true. But, as you can see, the original fans are getting restless, and might start to not buy the games until well after they've come out. (Why pay for something that doesn't appease you too well? ) I've got a buddy (huge fan) who's going to start to do this if Revelations doesn't have zombies, and ORC has more action than horror.

Top Bottom