• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DO YOU THINK THE RESIDENT EVIL FRANCHISE IS DYING???

Do you thing the Resident Evil franchise is slowly dying??

• Total voters

AiMz

Do you think that the resident evil franchise is coming to an end or will it keep soaring high??

Professor X

The Resident Evil franchise as we know it is/has come to an end, but I believe it's adapted a ridiculous "Mission Impossible" style and has started a new course.

The days of the original Resident Evil have come to an end, it would seem.

LUKE0809

it wont end... well the zombies have gone, in re6 we will probably be versing humans :D :lol:

Kagara

Resident Evil 5's sales were unprecedented for RE, but I imagine Wesker being the main villain was a big pull for people to buy it, even for those who hadn't played a RE game before.

I can't really see how they would attract as many people to the next major RE game, considering that most fans of the older RE style didn't take to well to RE5.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I think the series will do okay, as long as it doesn't deviate anymore. RE5's controls and all were pretty nice, and the dodge commands really made it enjoyable, especially for boss fights. I found that certain parts of the game felt like they were made for an action game, but because of RE5's controls we were unable to play it that way, which is good and bad.

All in all it is on the fence at this point, and I hope they don't screw it up, but with RE5's success, commercially that is, Capcom may have the idea that all of the future games should be more like Gears or something...

geddoe

I don't believe it is dying aside from it not being in its Golden Age anymore like the first 3 games, but where there are always fans, it couldn't completely die out as long as they are making a profit and there is some form of popularity. Sometimes it doesn't always work out that way as it is evident that some sought after games disappeared from the market for good but for the majority of fans of resident evil accept and recieve it as one of the most definitive games in the action/horror genre and in the gaming industry itself and surely capcom knows that.

They just scrapped the starting roots of the zombie infestation, which put a dent in the series because it is what most fans loved about resident evil, gave it more of a soul and made it more creepy in contrast to it being more of a generic action game but it still wont die as long as it contains some resident evil elements and visuals. They might also go back to the zombies, I wouldn't doubt it, maybe the 4th and 5th games were simply filler and number 6 will be the rivival of the umbrella corp. There are many plot twists in games and sometimes the story comes back and surprises you as if taking a trip back in time. :ninja:

wpstudart

I don't think it's gonna end, at least not so soon...

Oh, and
url

D

Deleted member 1428

Meh, it will end one day. Nothing lasts forever.

Professor X

Nemises;56919 said:
Meh, it will end one day. Nothing lasts forever.

Resident Evil is no longer in it's prime, [games 1-3] So it ended awhile ago. Go past Code: Veronica and straight to "4" and you have the new era of Resident Evil.

So yeah, the franchise "ended" but restarted with a storyline revolving partly around parasites instead of viruses.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
If CAPCOM don't put money into resident evil it wont ever get big again I'd of thought they would of done more for RE5 considering its online..I'd of liked more DLC for the main game, I dont think much of the mercs mode.. obviously its not made it any more popular.. lol but I really wanted more guns or extra costumes :( for the real badass players lol

But my game broke along time ago, So Ive not played it for awhile.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I wouldn't say that parasites are really that different, at least not enough to say that anything "ended". I mean we have been dealing with parasites pretty much since the beginning. And this "Prime" that some are mentioning, RE3 is included, and RE3 also introduced us to our very first, the NE-Alpha Parasite, Nemesis, who also had intelligence allowing speech, weapons, etc.

In another sense I do think it is dying though. I was never dissapointed with my RE games, not until UC, RE5, and certainly Degeneration...

tequila

Bottle Lover
Resident Evil is a classic. Just like Super Mario and stuff. It's been going on for over a decade, so just it's luck, it might survive another decade. That's if Capcom keeps bringing in mind boogling plots until the end of Umbrella Corp. RE5 doesn't end there. Ada still has the insight as she was working with Wesker. I would say that it won't die with all the hardcore RE fans out there, but yes, nothing really lasts forever. So we'll see what Capcom will bring out again. I haven't played ALL the RE games like Gaiden, Survivor, Dead Aim, and Outbreak 2. Reminds me that I should go after my brother for traiding in Dead Aim and Outbreak 2.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
An interesting idea for a thread actually, I have mulled this over myself several times... I don't think it's dying, there's still so much they can do with the story and it's being expanded all the time (especially with the Chronicles series filling the cracks and Outbreak series giving a nice side-story). I don't think it's dying so much as changing. It's a new RE era, really.

Zombie Enclave

Silverback;56923 said:
Resident Evil is no longer in it's prime, [games 1-3] So it ended awhile ago. Go past Code: Veronica and straight to "4" and you have the new era of Resident Evil.

So yeah, the franchise "ended" but restarted with a storyline revolving partly around parasites instead of viruses.

Half Life was about aliens, and Half Life 2 was about rebelling a greater power. That doesn't make it anything different.

Because it has the same characters, story, and idea. It has Gordon Freeman, with some aliens, returning...well, some returning characters....but the transition makes sense.

RE 4 and 5 are horror, have more returning characters then new, with transforming people into monster like humans, with some custom created things. So NO, it is not different. Just because it has a different engine and reason for infection, doesn't mean it is any different.

My god, can't people see it? It's like MGS4, different engine, lots of new things, but still MGS. Why? same reasons.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Yeah, the basic story is still there - it's just the style of the gaming has changed, and it obviously feels different considering that the last game before RE4 came out before the millennium.

Hoady

Frohwned;57024 said:
Half Life was about aliens, and Half Life 2 was about rebelling a greater power. That doesn't make it anything different.

Because it has the same characters, story, and idea. It has Gordon Freeman, with some aliens, returning...well, some returning characters....but the transition makes sense.

True that it was way different but it was definately the same game, half life 2 is sick though way better then the first imo.

Well give it another 10 years or so and it will end i think, i'm guessing maybe 3 games and thats only from the story side of things,with wesker in RE5 i reckon they are starting to close up.They will just end up getting sick of it probably but till then there making quality games so i'm happy to play(MORE LEON!).

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Captain Courageous;57128 said:
Well give it another 10 years or so and it will end i think, i'm guessing maybe 3 games and thats only from the story side of things,with wesker in RE5 i reckon they are starting to close up.They will just end up getting sick of it probably but till then there making quality games so i'm happy to play(MORE LEON!).

I agree, unless other villains make comebacks

and yes, MORE LEON :D

Top Bottom