• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Capcom says the next RE title will "return to its roots..."

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
Stumbled across this on the interwebs: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/15/res...on-next-one-will-return-to-roots-says-capcom/

I'll just pull the whole quote here:
“With Resident Evil 6 specifically, we probably put too much content in there, there were comments from consumers that said it felt bloated. The Leon missions went down very well, and because we did Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, there was a cry out for us to focus our attention on survival horror, rather than be too many things to all people. You’ll find where we go next will likely be more targeted at our core fanbase.
“A lot is said about the saturation of this zombie, post-apocalyptic survival horror. But it is still alive and well. The Last of Us shows a good direction of what the consumers want. Tomb Raider as well, we spoke to R&D and they looked at that and they enjoyed that experience. I think that proves there is still a strong market for that sort of content.”

A few things I've noticed from this quote.
1. I don't feel like the problem was that there was too much content, just that it felt jumbled and less focused. I for one feel like the amount of content was great, it was a big game.
2. Post-Apocalyptic? Just, no. I'm a sucker for anything post-apocalyptic but I wouldn't want that in RE, personally. Side note, I don't want to be "globe trotting" in the next game either.

That said, I'm taking this with a heaping grain of salt, they've been saying the same thing with every game post RE4. I didn't think the last installment was bad, per say, I felt like it lacked focus. Tone it down, son. I don't want to save the world, I want to feel like a detective again and sheet.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm taking this with a heaping grain of salt, they've been saying the same thing with every game post RE4.

And that's why I don't believe anything Capcom says anymore, unless maybe "There will be a seventh game". Not that I desperately need them to go back to survival horror, though. I think RE is fine the way it is. They should just stop promising things that won't happen, and start calling their franchise what it really is, not what they want it to be, but fail to make it.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
Agreed. To me its the same thing as when a band says "Oh trust us, this will sound like our older stuff!" and when it doesn't, people looking forward to that are disappointed. Enough identity crisis with this franchise Capcom.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Well, technically, some of the new games do sound like the old stuff because every five minutes you can hear one of the characters say: "This is Raccoon City all over again!" ... Too bad that alone doesn't suffice to really make us feel like we're in Raccoon City again.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
Haha, this is true. At this point it might as well be the tag line on all the advertisements and boxes of the games themselves. Maybe their logic is "If we put this line in every game, maybe they'll start to believe it!" Oh developers, you so silly.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
Didn't Capcom say RE 6 was gonna return to it's roots too? Just look at how that turned out. All we got was a shooter with a few references to the old Resi games.

I won't believe it until I see it.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
The fact that they're taking tips from that god awful Tomb Raider is more than enough proof that like RE6 and Tomb Raider, RE7 is just gonna be another dumbed down generic shooter with an identity crisis.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
On the plus side, he also mentioned "The Last of Us" which, in my opinion, is the perfect way to do a survival action game (and, let's face it, that's all RE will ever be again). I could definitely stand RE to be more akin to that than some other games.

black 93

As much as i want a horror game i honestly wouldnt be surprised if capcom ignored us AGAIN. Wasnt RE6 meant to be a horror game? Even if we do get a horror game i cant help but think it'll be a copy and paste of the last of us. Even the recent tomb raider game is more about survival than any resi since remake and zero. Not got any faith in capcom anymore, unless they manage to bring back shinji mikami. Then maybe il be more optimisstic. If and when resi 7 comes out, i wont be rushin out on release day like i have for the rest, il be checkin reviews or even rentin first.

black 93

Well, technically, some of the new games do sound like the old stuff because every five minutes you can hear one of the characters say: "This is Raccoon City all over again!" ... Too bad that alone doesn't suffice to really make us feel like we're in Raccoon City again.
yeah, i lost count of how many times i heard raccoon city in 6, capcom thought it would please the fans, what it really did was show how they're desperatley tryin to hang on to the glory days

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Eh if they make the world similar to the Last of Us I wouldn't mind

The factor depends on the characters and Gameplay.

There are a lot of factors where I'd not buy it. But it's not even announced so eh. Hopes and wishes

the venomous grand design

REmake enthusiast
just imagine if RE actually did return to its roots with the capabilities of current gen systems. i think it'd easily contend for GOAT game imo. alas, if capcom is deciding to take notes from POS games like the last of us and the tomb raider reboot, i'm sure i will be ignoring the existence of RE7 just like i am RE6

Sfamicom

I played The Last of Us and Tomb Raider and thought they were both fantastic. Should those games be used as a starting point for a new RE game? No way. I thought they were solid games, but they have nothing in common with Resident Evil.

For me, a perfect Resident Evil game would go back to being focused on a single, secluded area (agreed with the "no globe-trotting comment). I'd love to have the puzzles back too - and rather than waves of enemies, let's go back to real survival horror rather than this action horror we've been seeing. Also, I'm tired of having a companion.

Capcomplicated

The Lousy Architect
Premium
I agree^^ What Capcom doesn't realize is that sales from models only work if its inspiration that seeps through not rehash with chocolate icing (resident evil in the title). If you take what made call of duty popular and add zombies there's only so many titles you can get away with before it ultimately becomes stale. The original resident evil formula is extremely successful. I know this because we're still talking about it and aching for it to return. That's where their inspiration should come from. You don't have to have millions of zombies to feel overwhelmed...you don't have to have jump scares every five seconds to scare someone...you don't have to save the world to make an impact in a story...you don't have to 'keep up to date' in visual choreography. Still screens, eerie soundtrack, local story, puzzles, scarce ammo and supplies. Its not that complicated lol

black 93

one thing capcom need to do is focus on the location. Re1 was so great partly because the mansion was so atmospheric, Re2 was so great because the poilce station was so atmospheric. Fans always talk abouthow they love those places and the games wouldnt be half as great without them. Instead of globe trottin like in 5 and 6, capcom should focus on making an isolated, atmospheric setting with doors to unlock and backtracking to previous areas with a key to unlock doors you couldnt earlier, that was part of the thrill unlockin a new area not knowin if you were gunna be hit with a puzzle or a boss, a safe room or a group of hunters

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Agreed, black, I just don't want yet another mansion. I think we've all had enough of that. Something forest-like would be cool. (Yeah, I know, the Spencer Estate was in a forest, but we barely saw anything outside of the buildings.)

Vanex

I can't wait for the upcoming survival horror game The Evil Within to be released and prove there is still a market for true survival horror games. The reason I'm bringing up this game is because of who is involved with the development of it.

Shinji Mikami, the creator and producer of the resident evil series (up to and including resident evil 4) is directing the development of this game with the new studio he started (albeit awhile ago). I found this quote he said with an interview that I thought you all may like.

"For me, personally, why I came back to survival horror is that survival horror as a genre is becoming all action now. There aren't any real survival horror games in the world right now. That is the biggest motivation for me." - source

I hope this will give more incentive to Capcom to stick to their words this time around.

Last edited:

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
In resident evil 6 nothing annoys me, In resident evil 5 nothing annoys me, In resident evil 4 nothing annoys me...same with all the other RE games. I Like it no matter what would they do to it. I'm one of the biggest RE fans and nothing gonna stop me from being fan in the future.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
This is as far as i know about Resident Evil 7 ( I Found it at someone's site )

Resident Evil 7 Announcement

Submitted by carben44 on June 17th, 2013 – Flag this news as inappropriate
Category: Gaming

Resident Evil 7 was completely absent from E3 this year, and there was not even a hint of hope to see it. However, it has emerged that the game will be announced at TGS (Tokyo Game Show) this coming September. No "official" release date will be given, but the game will be out in all territories before the end of Q4 2014.

That may seem like a long wait from now, but Resident Evil 6 only came out last year. Only two years between the two games.

Resident Evil 7 has been in development since the mid-way point of Resident Evil 6, and was supposed to come out this year, as Capcom had plans to annualize the franchise. However, due to such negative feedback on the 6th instalment, the company has made the decision to change several aspects.

Little is known about Resident Evil 7, but here is what I have learned from my sources.

> Resident Evil 7 will involve Claire Redfield, Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine.

> Barry Burton WILL make an appearance in the game.

> Albert Wesker WILL be in the game, however, he is ONLY in a flashback in Jill’s head.

> The setting is going somewhat back to its roots. Survival, and not so much action.

> The story involves all steps retraced back to the start.

> Part of the game takes place on the grounds of the Mansion in Raccoon City.

> The game is still Co-Op based, both online and locally. Up to 4 players can play the same game at once.

> The game will NOT be available for PS3 and Xbox 360. It will be released for PS4, Wii U, Xbox One and PC.

> The Wii U gamepad serves as the inventory, allowing for quick access.

> The start of the game will be delivered differently than most games.

> Although the game is primarily Co-Op, you do NOT start with your partner in the same area. You will be literally playing up to four separate games for the first 30 minutes.

> Claire and Chris are Partners. Leon and Jill will be partners.

> All 4 players will meet together near the beginning, but then split into two groups (noted above), only regrouping a few times.

I'm waiting for it. Are you?
Is this the final chapter?

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
This is as far as i know about Resident Evil 7 ( I Found it at someone's site )

Resident Evil 7 Announcement

Submitted by carben44 on June 17th, 2013 – Flag this news as inappropriate
Category: Gaming

Resident Evil 7 was completely absent from E3 this year, and there was not even a hint of hope to see it. However, it has emerged that the game will be announced at TGS (Tokyo Game Show) this coming September. No "official" release date will be given, but the game will be out in all territories before the end of Q4 2014.

That may seem like a long wait from now, but Resident Evil 6 only came out last year. Only two years between the two games.

Resident Evil 7 has been in development since the mid-way point of Resident Evil 6, and was supposed to come out this year, as Capcom had plans to annualize the franchise. However, due to such negative feedback on the 6th instalment, the company has made the decision to change several aspects.

Little is known about Resident Evil 7, but here is what I have learned from my sources.

> Resident Evil 7 will involve Claire Redfield, Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine.

> Barry Burton WILL make an appearance in the game.

> Albert Wesker WILL be in the game, however, he is ONLY in a flashback in Jill’s head.

> The setting is going somewhat back to its roots. Survival, and not so much action.

> The story involves all steps retraced back to the start.

> Part of the game takes place on the grounds of the Mansion in Raccoon City.

> The game is still Co-Op based, both online and locally. Up to 4 players can play the same game at once.

> The game will NOT be available for PS3 and Xbox 360. It will be released for PS4, Wii U, Xbox One and PC.

> The Wii U gamepad serves as the inventory, allowing for quick access.

> The start of the game will be delivered differently than most games.

> Although the game is primarily Co-Op, you do NOT start with your partner in the same area. You will be literally playing up to four separate games for the first 30 minutes.

> Claire and Chris are Partners. Leon and Jill will be partners.

> All 4 players will meet together near the beginning, but then split into two groups (noted above), only regrouping a few times.

I'm waiting for it. Are you?
Is this the final chapter?
I'd like a Link for this.

Top Bottom