• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Capcom says the next RE title will "return to its roots..."

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Oldschool is a very limited amount of contact between the characters, we would figure out the story while going through the game, reading files, etc.
Agreed. Old school is not just anything pertaining to the older games. The games became popular because they had a certain feel, a certain vibe. That vibe has been gone for a long time and no amount of "throwback enemies" is going to change that. Bringing RE's roots back would have meant RE5 being full-length Lost In Nightmares sequence.
Because, like it or not, that's as close as Capcom has gotten to "old school" in a really long time. (Since Dead Aim, really.)

weskerondope

not even lost in nightmares was too good,
it was just a cheap knock off of the mansion from re1, (and they had another copy in code veronica)
also how did the dairy that you find in re1 magically appear in the new mansion like 10 years later?
did chris/jill accidently drop it after they escaped the mansion?
and who picked it up and why did that person decide to just place it in a random bedroom in the new spencer castle?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Agreed. Old school is not just anything pertaining to the older games. The games became popular because they had a certain feel, a certain vibe. That vibe has been gone for a long time and no amount of "throwback enemies" is going to change that. Bringing RE's roots back would have meant RE5 being full-length Lost In Nightmares sequence.
Because, like it or not, that's as close as Capcom has gotten to "old school" in a really long time. (Since Dead Aim, really.)
But we aren't talking about "Old School" We're talking about "Returning to the Roots." Which you can return to the roots of the STORY, and not necessarily the roots of the GAMEPLAY. There are multiple roots to the series' beginnings, because it is made up of a multitude of different things...Gameplay. Story. Characters. Locations. Music. These are all DIFFERENT types of the metaphorical "Roots," Therefore returning to said roots could be speaking about ANY of these things, or any COMBINATION of these things...Whether you like RE5 or not, it can't e argued that in terms of story it didn't go back to its roots...

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Resident Evil 5 brought back the original Chris/Wesker rivalry but I wouldn't necessarily call those roots. I would gather that when most people think of roots, they're referring to the T-Virus, third person exploration, single player game play, cramped, enclosed spaces, the documents telling the story and the scares. (If they didn't, Resident Evil 5 wouldn't have been such a disappointment. ;)) The Wesker story line isn't a root, it's one story line. (And honestly, the guy wasn't even a huge part of the game until the very end. He was like the wizard in the Wizard of Oz. He was the man behind the curtain and nothing more.) Resident Evil 2, Nemesis, Dead Aim and, for the most part, Code Veronica all had story lines that deviated from the Chris/Wesker rivalry but they still carried Resident Evil's roots.

Saying the series will return to its roots and then only bringing back Jill, Chris and Wesker is selling the game on falsehood. They should have said they were returning to the original story, or bringing back the original characters. The roots of a game have nothing to do with the story, it's all the elements that create the feel of the game. (Because running around, capitalizing on the same story for a decade or more is just trite and lazy.)
Stories will change but that doesn't mean the game play or atmosphere have to. People liked Resident Evil because of how it played, not the story. (Because I think we can all agree that the original story could have used some work.)

In any case, you can't bring one element back and claim that Resident Evil is returning to its roots because then we're back to selling on falsehood. (ie; lying)

weskerondope

yeah the story of the first game was awesome
but i feel like they didnt take it in the right direction after that
starting a bunch of new storylines instead of finishing old ones thus leaving loose ends
so i pretty much play for gameplay and not story,

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
...There is so much wrong with this...Let's look at it point by point.
Resident Evil 5 brought back the original Chris/Wesker rivalry
1. ...There wasn't really an "Original Chris Wesker Rivalry." Because in the original RE that rivalry hadn't even been ESTABLISHED. That was a build up that really didn't even BEGIN until CODE: Veronica, and was furthered for Umbrella Chronicles, and furthered even MORE by what we learn throughout RE5's flashback sequences and Lost in Nightmares, only to finally lead up to what was the end of RE5.

(If they didn't, Resident Evil 5 wouldn't have been such a disappointment. ;))
2. RE5 was a disappointment due to forced Co-Op and Sheva more than anything else...

The Wesker story line isn't a root, it's one story line. (And honestly, the guy wasn't even a huge part of the game until the very end. He was like the wizard in the Wizard of Oz. He was the man behind the curtain and nothing more.)
3. That man behind the curtain was kind of the WHOLE reason for Wizard of Oz...Just because he isn't on screen the whole game doesn't mean he isn't a HUGE plot point. Which as we saw in CODE: Veronica, they were building up to. Again, explored even FURTHER in the Chronicles Series...

Resident Evil 2, Nemesis, Dead Aim and, for the most part, Code Veronica all had story lines that deviated from the Chris/Wesker rivalry but they still carried Resident Evil's roots.
4. Resident Evil: Dead Aim isn't even a MAIN game. It has NOTHING to do with the roots, and has no bearing at all on the main, canon story. Not that it's a non canon game, but it really has NO purpose being part of this debate, because it is FAR from one of the Original Games that established roots. RE2 and Nemesis don't have much to do with RE5, however, MANY events of Nemesis are referenced in RE5. Jill being immune to the virus because of the infection in RE3. Jill even making a RETURN after all that time, which also helped it go back to the roots, BTW, because it brought all three main characters back...And again, the Chris and Wesker rivalry wasn't at ALL what I was talking about when I said "Going back to the roots" anyway, but since you're so fixated on that, then I'll also point out you said CODE: Veronica had nothing do to with the rivalry...Have you played CODE: Veronica? As mentioned above, that's where the rivalry starts...Before that point, Chris thought Wesker was DEAD.

Saying the series will return to its roots and then only bringing back Jill, Chris and Wesker is selling the game on falsehood. They should have said they were returning to the original story, or bringing back the original characters.
5. How is that selling the game on Falsehood...Chris, Jill, and Wesker and the original story are ALL part of Resident Evil's roots...

The roots of a game have nothing to do with the story, it's all the elements that create the feel of the game. (Because running around, capitalizing on the same story for a decade or more is just trite and lazy.)
6. Roots of the game have nothing to do with the story...Ok, please logically explain how that is factual...Also, they didn't capitalize on the same story for a decade. They broke it up with games like RE2 and RE4.

On a side note, they also went back to the roots by adding Rebecca and Barry as characters in Mercs reunion, and being able make the camera angles fixed in Lost in Nightmares ...

JillsPimp

The Armorer
I am going to take another path with my opinionated post as think about the size of the mansion, and think about all the rooms (Let us use the RE REmake game as the bases for what I am explaining) The amount of enemies that are in the game. Now think of over the shoulder aiming and head shots galore. Now think about the ammo amount found in game. I figure with over the shoulder aiming and head shots instantly killing most anything, then there is a point where the game is to easy and you soon have a abundance of ammo. So then it gets easier cause you can pray and spray.

Now you can either up the amount of enemies or drop the ammo count.

Now I vote for drop the amount of ammo, also add in with running the ability to shove and move enemies, as well as maybe a hand full of melee weapons. Now all this done with the basic old RE setup of lots of rooms and puzzles and handfuls of zombies. You would have all the new aspects with the old setup.

Now like many have said 'Going back to the roots' Can be anything, could be rebooting from the get go, all the way to just making a bunch of games to fill in the holes so we get more of the original series, even down to going back to tank controls.

Now how bad ass would it be to have a RE1 game from Weskers point of view? I like the idea... Hell that could be there 'Going back to the roots'

JillsPimp

The Armorer
Kind of like a cow and its stomachs. Just cause you lose one doesnt mean your gonna die. I dont mind the behind the back view, and I feel it can be used to help 'terrify' someone.

Now here is a random photo of me with a ground hog I killed

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I am going to take another path with my opinionated post as think about the size of the mansion, and think about all the rooms (Let us use the RE REmake game as the bases for what I am explaining) The amount of enemies that are in the game. Now think of over the shoulder aiming and head shots galore. Now think about the ammo amount found in game. I figure with over the shoulder aiming and head shots instantly killing most anything, then there is a point where the game is to easy and you soon have a abundance of ammo. So then it gets easier cause you can pray and spray.

Now you can either up the amount of enemies or drop the ammo count.

Now I vote for drop the amount of ammo, also add in with running the ability to shove and move enemies, as well as maybe a hand full of melee weapons. Now all this done with the basic old RE setup of lots of rooms and puzzles and handfuls of zombies. You would have all the new aspects with the old setup.

Now like many have said 'Going back to the roots' Can be anything, could be rebooting from the get go, all the way to just making a bunch of games to fill in the holes so we get more of the original series, even down to going back to tank controls.

Now how bad ass would it be to have a RE1 game from Weskers point of view? I like the idea... Hell that could be there 'Going back to the roots'
That was sort of done in Umbrella Chronicles. The Wesker idea I mean. I think it was executed perfectly in that. You learned a lot about Wesker, and it didn't interfere with the Chris/Jill story.

JillsPimp

The Armorer
I didnt play any of the chronicle series sadly, so I have nothing there, I just figure it would be a neat console game that isn't rail shooter... Hmm have tog et it and play it on the wifes Wii

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I didnt play any of the chronicle series sadly, so I have nothing there, I just figure it would be a neat console game that isn't rail shooter... Hmm have tog et it and play it on the wifes Wii
You should play the Chronicles games. They're canon, and among the BEST games in the series. Also, the fact that it's on rails doesn't hurt the game at ALL. It actually leaves more open for learning about the character, because even though it's on rails and you can't see yourself, you'r always with another character. So you'll here dialogue between, for example, Jill and Carlos that teaches you a little bit more about each of them. Dialogue that wasn't in RE3. Plus they Umbrella Chronicles is narrated by Wesker, so you have an inside look at EVERYTHING from his perspective. Darkside Chronicles is narrated by both Leon and Wesker, depending on what point of the game your in. REALLY worth playing. In all honesty, they blow RE5 and RE6 out of the water...

Top Bottom