• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Zombies finally return but why?

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
Check this article. Turns out they actually did bring them back because of the fans. Aww... Capcom you still love us, or dont you? xD Read the article to see their explanation for them using weapons.

tharsheblows

Addicted to RE Mercenaries
I have no problem with zombies wielding weapons (stick, pipe etc.) because it makes them more of a threat. Zombies have no coordination only primitive basic functions such as standing,walking,grabbing,biting . Running, Jumping, Rolling, Shooting, or all things Acrobatic requires coordination and concentration and zombies are near brain dead and have very basic motor skills, they’re not super strong or any other super ability. Resident Evil series have definitely evolved past them and to bring them back in the series at this point is purely fanservice. It only makes sense that enemies becomes more smarter and stronger as the plot moves on so I’m glad the j’avos made it in although it has been been confirmed that the zombies can leap and charge now so that’s good.

M4Gord

Oh yeah, I'm so glad that zombies have been largely replaced by enemies that shoot at you ok

Popo

The whole idea of a zombie IS being brain dead, and dumb, and with their minds fully set on one goal: To feed themselves.
I agree with the whole being faster and more dangerous, but I still dislike the idea of them using weapons.

M4Gord

Capcom are forcing the gameplay around their chosen mechanics, instead of enemies. The current mechanics are more suited for fast action and aiming quickly, and as a result the enemies need to be more quicker and more threatening.

If you want a game with current Resident Evil mechanics with classic-ish zombies and yet still need to be a challenge, then it is necessary to :

• Limit the amount of ammunition available
  • Increase the damage zombies do
  • encourage the player to save ammunition
  • don't make enemies drop ammo
  • mix claustrophobic environments with wider areas
  • make it harder to see or aim (I like the idea of having NO aiming reticle personally)
  • ditch the forced co-op partner
  • throw larger numbers of zombies at the player

Popo

Capcom are forcing the gameplay around their chosen mechanics, instead of enemies. The current mechanics are more suited for fast action and aiming quickly, and as a result the enemies need to be more quicker and more threatening.

If you want a game with current Resident Evil mechanics with classic-ish zombies and yet still need to be a challenge, then it is necessary to :

• Limit the amount of ammunition available
  • Increase the damage zombies do
  • encourage the player to save ammunition
  • don't make enemies drop ammo
  • mix claustrophobic environments with wider areas
  • make it harder to see or aim (I like the idea of having NO aiming reticle personally)
  • ditch the forced co-op partner
  • throw larger numbers of zombies at the player

So, turning the game into survival horror, the whole idea of the first 3 games was surviving, looking for other survivors and escaping the madness.

And I would add another point to that:
  • having puzzles
  • removing the option to buy weapons.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
The whole idea of a zombie IS being brain dead, and dumb, and with their minds fully set on one goal: To feed themselves.
I agree with the whole being faster and more dangerous, but I still dislike the idea of them using weapons.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly^^^

Zombies don't need to have weapons to be "more dangerous".

Just giving them a boost in speed and aggression makes theme plenty of dangerous and really does bring up the question of "why" even bother to do this?

As someone else pointed out, throwing a whole herd of aggressive zombies (without weapons) at the players make them plenty of threatening.

I just feel that Capcom gave them weapons for the same reason they gave Ganados and Majini weapons, and that is the idea of them being "more dangerous" with weapons.

No matter how they try to reason it, I still will never see it as right to have zombies using weapons.

All that being said, I am still very pleased to have zombies back in the picture.

Just to bad Capcom had to once again put a unneeded "spin" on things...

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
posted this 2 days ago
My bad, really didnt notice.

Anyway the reason they gave them weapons i believe is actually cuz they needed to have some kind of ranged attack at least. Also it leads to more interaction with them, u know when u can block their attack or use their weapon against them.

All in all I think its not bad as long as a zombie with a weapon is like each 10th, which is how it seems to be, not that most of them have weapons and neither do they pull out a new weapon once they throw the one they had like the ganados/majini did.

TyrannoSpank

Im glad RE6 will have "zombies" now. But I dislike how they are new zombies, and a new virus. I think it should of come back to the t outbreak after all the plagas stuff. RE original zombies were great. They might not have been much of a threat, but they were a great filler enemy, using your ammo and getting in the way and stuff. Don't think they should be jumping and throwing weapons. "smarter" isn't something a zombie needs to be.

I could imagine if someone had a weapon trying to fend off a zombie, and died with it in their hands, like say an axe or something. But after they turned, even if they never let go it and just dragged it around, he certainly wouldn't throw it. Swinging might work, but iuno.

“It’s not that they are purposely using weapons, it’s in the back of their mind because they used to use weapons before they became zombies.”

As a zombie sees you, and only thought is to kill and try to eat you(do they still even want to eat you?) It doesn't purposely find a weapon and pick it up to gain an advantage in killing you.

Meh, just think it sucks that they so casually change something or add something in the RE world to fit any need they want, and turn it into more of an action game. If they want enemies faster and smarter(why they want the zombies that way anyway), create a new virus to explain it. They could of added more bows/mutations, or anything staying true to RE.

C virus is supposed to let you keep enough intelligence to use weapons and stuff when infected. But not smart enough to not want to kill and stuff. Its just tailored to fit. It should of been the other way around. You take the story, and find a way to add faster/smarter things. Not just make it. Whats gonna happen if there's RE7 and ect. C virus wont be good enough anymore, they'll make another one, and keep doin it as long as the finished product has a lot of fun action. Story means nothing.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Anyway the reason they gave them weapons i believe is actually cuz they needed to have some kind of ranged attack at least. .

Actually this is simply not true.

The zombies have had a "ranged" attack for a while now.

Its called the "puke" attack which allows them to attack a player from afar.

So the reason of "they needed a ranged attack" simply can not hold up in this situation given the zombies have already had a ranged attack for a while now.

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
Actually this is simply not true.

The zombies have had a "ranged" attack for a while now.

Its called the "puke" attack which allows them to attack a player from afar.

So the reason of "they needed a ranged attack" simply can not hold up in this situation given the zombies have already had a ranged attack for a while now.
I thought about that but honestly that puke attack doesnt have a bigger range than a swipe lolz

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I thought about that but honestly that puke attack doesnt have a bigger range than a swipe lolz

uhhh, hows that?

Have you played Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles?

The range is obviously bigger than a "swipe" so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

The zombies are like 10 feet away from you in some instances and they still can use their puke attack to injure you.

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
uhhh, hows that?

Have you played Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles?

The range is obviously bigger than a "swipe" so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

The zombies are like 10 feet away from you in some instances and they still can use their puke attack to injure you.
Emm yh thats kinda a bit exaggerated, dont u think? I remember in the older titles it had the range of a swipe as it should be.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Emm yh thats kinda a bit exaggerated, dont u think? I remember in the older titles it had the range of a swipe as it should be.

Its no exaggeration.

As i said earlier, have you PLAYED Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles?

Answer me that question before asking me if it is a "exaggeration".

Also, notice how those 2 aren't "older titles".

Albert

Tʜᴇ Gᴏᴅ
Premium
Its no exaggeration.

As i said earlier, have you PLAYED Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles?

Answer me that question before asking me if it is a "exaggeration".

Also, notice how those 2 aren't "older titles".

Yep, played them and I know that the range was really exaggerated in those, thats what im saying. In the older titles it was nowhere near that big.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Yep, played them and I know that the range was really exaggerated in those, thats what im saying. In the older titles it was nowhere near that big.

Sooooooo.....whats your point?

These are Capcom's newest titles.

Its pretty obvious Capcom could give less of a damn about their older ones.

People always use the "series evolving with the times" defense when trying to defend these new changes to the Resident Evil formula.

That is why its more "acceptable" by that logic for Capcom to go off of how the zombies behaved in their recent titles rather than their older titles, hence the reason why the "vomit range" being bigger in Umbrella and Darkside could be carried over to RE6 without the need of weapons.

It makes more sense really considering Umbrella and Darkside are the latest 2 Resident Evil game we have that had zombies in it.

So my point still stands that the defense for the weapon usage of the zombies needing a 'ranged attack" is void in this instance since the latest 2 entries that have zombies in it prove otherwise.

Lonesurvivor2127

Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly^^^

Zombies don't need to have weapons to be "more dangerous".

Just giving them a boost in speed and aggression makes theme plenty of dangerous and really does bring up the question of "why" even bother to do this?

As someone else pointed out, throwing a whole herd of aggressive zombies (without weapons) at the players make them plenty of threatening.

I just feel that Capcom gave them weapons for the same reason they gave Ganados and Majini weapons, and that is the idea of them being "more dangerous" with weapons.

No matter how they try to reason it, I still will never see it as right to have zombies using weapons.

All that being said, I am still very pleased to have zombies back in the picture.

Just to bad Capcom had to once again put a unneeded "spin" on things...

Zombie's are lower brain functioning beings that run off of basic instinct ,which is to eat however even chimps use tools.

As shown in the George A.Romero movies (which really are the base for almost all zombie mediums) they can use

objects. So using weapons really doesn't bug me very much. Now if they start to use guns then i'll be ****ed. lol

Top Bottom