• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

who do you think is the most overated character?

The Darkening Sea

No, I totally agree with you, Black. Barry was in just one game (or two, if you count his optional appearance at the end of RE3) where he wasn't even playable, yet he's treated like a main character the game couldn't possibly exist without, and Hunk has no name, no face and no real purpose, yet he's worshipped like a god... Fans these days.

Wesker is overrated too. A generic megalomaniac villain created for the sole purpose of having a villain, there's nothing special about his personality or motives or anything at all, not even the shades are original. I would go as far as saying that almost every other bad guy (or girl) in the series is more interesting and memorable than Wesker, but for some reason he's the most popular.

I can think of one or two more, but I don't want to start a pointless war with the fanboys.

No, you don't understand as its not about how 'deep' a character is that makes the fans love them. Not at all. I think Albert W is beloved more in the heart of fan girls than fan boys, actually. He just has to look cool, sound sexy, and be Chis's enemy, and even though he's in his 40s nobody really cares. He looks amazing, right? There is some very rotten fan fiction because of this lol

Ada isn't very deep - in fact we know very little about her - yet many like her because she isn't some moaning, whinging, screaming character who can't be liked. No, no, she's a strong female character that which even female fans can like.

Barry is the dad you never had. He's Chris's old partner, Y'know. Being at where it all began makes him fundamental as a surviving S.T.A.R.S. member. Barry can not be overrated! If he's loved by the fans - he's loved by the fans. And wonderfully bad dialogue delivered by a cheesy voice actor is what largely helped!

I don't get the deal with Hunk though??

The Darkening Sea

But are you telling me if you HAD the power to rule the world, you wouldn't ;) I'll be honest, I would. I have no delusions about the type of person I am. If I had that power, I would. And knowing I would do that, It makes it less hard to believe others would...

C'mon man...you don't simply want to take over the world for the sake of taking over the world. Its like an empty shell of a villain.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
C'mon man...you don't simply want to take over the world for the sake of taking over the world. Its like an empty shell of a villain.
I would take over the world JUST for the sake of taking it over though. It does nothing other than prove I'm the best. That I'm better than everyone. And that's the type of person I am. If I Took over the world, that would be my way of showing the everyone is beneath me...Not that it would ever actually happen, but I can dream...

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I would take over the world JUST for the sake of taking it over though. It does nothing other than prove I'm the best. That I'm better than everyone. And that's the type of person I am. If I Took over the world, that would be my way of showing the everyone is beneath me...Not that it would ever actually happen, but I can dream...
It seems we need to keep a close eye on you, mate... :p

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Why would Capcom hate him? He's like their golden child. One of them, at least.

I don't know but from what i saw in the games it feels like they do.

In resident Evil 2 he got shot.
In Resident Evil Gaiden something happened to him
In Resident Evil 4 he got infected.
In opration racoon city they kill him.

One-Winged Angel

Cecil "There is sorrow in those wintery eyes..."
Re6 in particular though, every vehicle ever made he survives a situation in
Though he's not the only one who survives at certain situations ,i mean take Chris's campaign for example how many times both Chris and Piers got shot by RPG like two or three times and after that they're like totally fine,also the falling debris at a perfect timing not to mention being shot by a huge missile that should totally kill Chris and Piers right? XD

Last edited:

Krusiv

Also, if cheesiness is what makes a character awesome, then why is it that Rebecca, who was just as cheesy in the original RE1, was universally hated for it?
There is this double standard amongst Resident Evil fans it seems. It's okay for some of our old favorites to be cheesy but god forbid Moira has any silly lines in Revelations 2.

I laugh when I see complaints of cheesy dialogue in the newer games! As if Resident Evil ever had top-notch writing in the first place? Ha.

Krusiv

So I'm not the only one who thinks HUNK is overrated? Good. Honestly, if he had an actual story to go along with I wouldn't mind the guy... but geez. Who knew being a faceless and nameless character would win over so many fans.
Faceless, nameless, stereotypically "badass." HUNK is popular based on the Rule of Cool alone. There are a lot of characters like this in fiction so I'm not too surprised on HUNK's popularity (even if I personally don't care for him much).

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
Faceless, nameless, stereotypically "badass." HUNK is popular based on the Rule of Cool alone. There are a lot of characters like this in fiction so I'm not too surprised on HUNK's popularity (even if I personally don't care for him much).
Not to mention he always has the best set up in mercs. Totally unfair... kinda like AGENT in RE6. Where are his fangirls? :p

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Then in re6 he survives everything a normal person shouldn't
To be fair, he's only a "Normal Person" in RE2. Do you have any idea the intense training he must be put through. I mean, he's the bodyguard for the single most important person in the entire country of the United States. The dude has to be trained RIGOROUSLY I'm willing to bet...

umbra aeterna

No, I totally agree with you, Black. Barry was in just one game (or two, if you count his optional appearance at the end of RE3) where he wasn't even playable, yet he's treated like a main character the game couldn't possibly exist without, and Hunk has no name, no face and no real purpose, yet he's worshipped like a god... Fans these days.

Wesker is overrated too. A generic megalomaniac villain created for the sole purpose of having a villain, there's nothing special about his personality or motives or anything at all, not even the shades are original. I would go as far as saying that almost every other bad guy (or girl) in the series is more interesting and memorable than Wesker, but for some reason he's the most popular.

I can think of one or two more, but I don't want to start a pointless war with the fanboys.

HUNK is popular due to projection.We don't know him.We just know he has shades of badassery and he's dangerous.Awesome but overrated.That abd plus it's all in good fun.HUNK or 'mr.death ' bribgs out the imagination by him being a clean slate.Yes HUNK is awesome, byt he ain't all that.I do see the appeal.

Barry is ...well, I don't even know. I can't explain beyond the memes or possibly that playing as jill on re1 he stopped you from being a 'jill sandwhich'.Barry was likeable, maybe for the family man thing.Really idk.I give points for him finally turning on Wesker's dumbass.

Wesker is just hot and a total badass.That's it. Guys wanna be him, girls want him...some guys question their sexuality after being exposed to him.However, despite my desire to have a shirtless wesker with a collar mod people forget he was essentially a child abuse victim who came to umbrella and was tricked into working on monsters,fearibg for his life for twenty years...essentially what dreams he may have had were ****tered with lisa trevor, etc Also, Spencer's personal play thing.He loses points, big time.

Top Bottom