• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

who do you think is the most overated character?

Tron8

Fighting just to survive, but you taught me i can.
Seriously you think Barry is overrated? SMH

"Now i've done it.... WAIT!! i'll go and get another Rope!"

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
No, I totally agree with you, Black. Barry was in just one game (or two, if you count his optional appearance at the end of RE3) where he wasn't even playable, yet he's treated like a main character the game couldn't possibly exist without, and Hunk has no name, no face and no real purpose, yet he's worshipped like a god... Fans these days.

Wesker is overrated too. A generic megalomaniac villain created for the sole purpose of having a villain, there's nothing special about his personality or motives or anything at all, not even the shades are original. I would go as far as saying that almost every other bad guy (or girl) in the series is more interesting and memorable than Wesker, but for some reason he's the most popular.

I can think of one or two more, but I don't want to start a pointless war with the fanboys.

Turo602

The King of Kings
For me its barry and HUNK, got a feeling il be disagreed with haha :)

^This. Barry is the Chuck Norris of Resident Evil. In other words, he's a joke. The demand for his return is absurd. HUNK on the other hand is the Resident Evil equivalent of Boba Fett. He's popular for no other reason than he wears a cool mask. Honestly, what's so special about him?

black 93

^This. Barry is the Chuck Norris of Resident Evil. In other words, he's a joke. The demand for his return is absurd. HUNK on the other hand is the Resident Evil equivalent of Boba Fett. He's popular for no other reason than he wears a cool mask. Honestly, what's so special about him?
no idea, never understood all the love that hunk gets, i get that barrys popular cuz of his insanely cheesy dialouge, but as a character? meh. Btw love the avatar :)

black 93

No, I totally agree with you, Black. Barry was in just one game (or two, if you count his optional appearance at the end of RE3) where he wasn't even playable, yet he's treated like a main character the game couldn't possibly exist without, and Hunk has no name, no face and no real purpose, yet he's worshipped like a god... Fans these days.

Wesker is overrated too. A generic megalomaniac villain created for the sole purpose of having a villain, there's nothing special about his personality or motives or anything at all, not even the shades are original. I would go as far as saying that almost every other bad guy (or girl) in the series is more interesting and memorable than Wesker, but for some reason he's the most popular.

I can think of one or two more, but I don't want to start a pointless war with the fanboys.
i liked wesker till he started becoming all superhuman, the first time i fought him in RE5 and he started dodgin all my bullets i was like oh hell no, capcom you've ruined this guy

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Leon. He was a rookie who fell in love with the worst spy ever in the span of a couple hours during a horror filled night - said spy would betray him later in the series for her own gain. Resident Evil 4, Leon's spotlight game, was also the turning point of the series, a turning point that would split the franchise's fans right down the middle and create all this stupid in-fighting.

All the guy ever does is walk around in tight pants, spout out terrible one-liners, flirt with everyone and copy Bruce McGivern. Don't get the hype surrounding him at all.

Turo602

The King of Kings
All the guy ever does is walk around in tight pants, spout out terrible one-liners...

*cough* Spider-Man *cough*

Honestly, we can pick apart any character in this franchise and call them overrated because this is Resident Evil. Story telling and writing isn't exactly an achievement in this series. That doesn't exactly make the characters less likeable or appealing. Just look at how popular Evil Dead's Ash is...

Tron8

Fighting just to survive, but you taught me i can.
Barry is awesome because without him Jill would have been F'ed in RE1. And his cameo in RE3 was awesome dont hate! Cheesy dialogue is awesome.

Hunk i agree with, i could care less. No one better say Tofu!!!!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
This isn't about hating, Tron. Barry was a decent character and perfectly suited for his role in RE1, but that's it. What makes him overrated in my view is that he gets way too much credit for this one appearance. Also, if cheesiness is what makes a character awesome, then why is it that Rebecca, who was just as cheesy in the original RE1, was universally hated for it?

Someone said Leon, which was what I didn't dare to say in my first post, but now that it's out: Yeah. It's not only the fans who overrate him, but the creators also, noticeable in the fact that his RE6 campaign was featured the most in trailers and announcements, whereas it contributes the least to the overall story (and it seems to me that this is always the case when Leon is one, but not the only playable character in a game). FAIL! Then again, Leon is a recurring main character, so it's more understandable that fans overrate him rather than Barry, Hunk and other one-hit wonders. (That doesn't make it right, though.)

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
Chris is overrated (Big guy, Body Builder, Strong guy) just check Chris Evolution 1996-2012 He always makes appearance in almost all RE installments, I'm tired of him. Does he really have to be in every resident evil game.
Chris appearing;
* Resident Evil 1996
* Resident Evil 1998
* RE Code: Veronica X 2000
* Resident Evil Remake 2002
* Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles 2007
* Resident Evil 5 2009
* Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles 2009
* Resident Evil Revelations 2012
* Resident Evil 6 2012

Turo602

The King of Kings
Chris is overrated (Big guy, Body Builder, Strong guy) just check Chris Evolution 1996-2012 He always makes appearance in almost all RE installments, I'm tired of him. Does he really have to be in every resident evil game.
Chris appearing;
* Resident Evil 1996
* Resident Evil 1998
* RE Code: Veronica X 2000
* Resident Evil Remake 2002
* Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles 2007
* Resident Evil 5 2009
* Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles 2009
* Resident Evil Revelations 2012
* Resident Evil 6 2012

Um... Appearing a lot isn't what makes someone overrated... It has to do more with unjustified positive feedback.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
The main character that I think is most overrated is Leon. Ever since RE4 he seems to be everyone's favourite and although I don't dislike him, his popularity has become so great since RE4 that he has turned into a bit of a 'meh' character, usually just following Ada around and having really cheesy one liners. He hasn't really had much development.

Hunk is also overrated. I just plainly don't understand the love for this guy. To me he's just a mercenary that survived Raccoon City, canonically he's even only in one game... in a very minor role.

Biohazard_chris

Golden egg
The main character that I think is most overrated is Leon. Ever since RE4 he seems to be everyone's favourite and although I don't dislike him, his popularity has become so great since RE4 that he has turned into a bit of a 'meh' character, usually just following Ada around and having really cheesy one liners. He hasn't really had much development.

Hunk is also overrated. I just plainly don't understand the love for this guy. To me he's just a mercenary that survived Raccoon City, canonically he's even only in one game... in a very minor role.
Hunk was going to be given a main game, BH3 was going to star hunk on ship transporting the sample he got. It was scraped after a year of development. Some stuff was reused for dead aim, BH1 was suggested a boat setting as well.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I don't quite get the hate on Chris and Leon...They really aren't "Over Rated" per se. They're just main characters, so people who AREN'T fans still love them because they aren't FAMILIAR with other characters. I mean, you really don't see DEMAND for Chris and Leon in other games. People are pretty nonchalant in that they'd LIKE them there, but you really don't have fanboys/girls screaming "If Chris isn't in Resident Evil 140: Outbreak in Space I'll boycott the series!" No...I don't think they're over rated...They just get ATTENTION. That would be like calling Captain America over-rated because he's that star of his own movie, even though he's been a world famous comic character for +70 years...

As far as who I think is over-rated, I have to say Claire...Don't get me wrong, her character is awesome, but her story is DONE. Keep it that way. I see SO many people just dying to have her back, and that's just tomfoolery. He story had the right closure with the cannon movie Degeneration, so there is no NEED to bring her back. Canonically at least.

Maestro

Sniper Wolf
Premium
Well, I think that most overrated is, uhm, Wesker. He wasn't playable character (at least not in main scenarios), but people still talkin' about him, only because he was main bad guy (too many times, by the way ;) ) and want to see him as a bad guy in RE7 (yeah, I read some Forums and that's what some peoples expecting, for God sake, Capcom, let him rust in peace! ;) )

Secondary- HUNK. Yeah, he had a little role to play in story, but this guy is like Boba Fett phenomenon from Star Wars- appeared only for 3 minutes, and everyone loves him ;)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well, I think that most overrated is, uhm, Wesker. He wasn't playable character (at least not in main scenarios), but people still talkin' about him, only because he was main bad guy (too many times, by the way ;) ) and want to see him as a bad guy in RE7 (yeah, I read some Forums and that's what some peoples expecting, for God sake, Capcom, let him rust in peace! ;) )

Secondary- HUNK. Yeah, he had a little role to play in story, but this guy is like Boba Fett phenomenon from Star Wars- appeared only for 3 minutes, and everyone loves him ;)
HUNK is not worthy to be compared to Boba Fett!

Top Bottom