• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

who do you think is the most overated character?

ToCool74

Veteran Member
HUNK definitely.

For so freaken long I have been seeing so much HUNK love and I honestly do not get where it comes from.

We basically know NOTHING of him and he has 0 personality for the most part and his character has not even be developed a bit since Code Veronica (which contained a file on him transporting a tyrant) and even then it was a very minimal development.

I honestly can not see whats so great about him.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I think HUNK is one of those characters that just looks cool so people fanboy/girl squeal over him. I never understood it either.

I can understand why people would say Leon - but at the same time, Leon tends to inspire both extreme love and extreme hate as well. There's no happy medium between fan responses, it seems.

For me, it's actually Wesker. I always found him - especially in RE 5 to be such an over the top villain and I never really understood his motives apart from wanting to take over the world. It's kind of like Sauron. If he didn't sort of look cool I don't think he'd have the same following he does.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I think HUNK is one of those characters that just looks cool so people fanboy/girl squeal over him. I never understood it either.

I can understand why people would say Leon - but at the same time, Leon tends to inspire both extreme love and extreme hate as well. There's no happy medium between fan responses, it seems.

For me, it's actually Wesker. I always found him - especially in RE 5 to be such an over the top villain and I never really understood his motives apart from wanting to take over the world. It's kind of like Sauron. If he didn't sort of look cool I don't think he'd have the same following he does.
Sauron has a following?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
For two-dimensional villains, yes.
But are you telling me if you HAD the power to rule the world, you wouldn't ;) I'll be honest, I would. I have no delusions about the type of person I am. If I had that power, I would. And knowing I would do that, It makes it less hard to believe others would...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Of course I would. But I have no interest in - to quote GOT - being 'queen of the ashes'. Perhaps it wasn't Capcom's intention, but I got the sense that Wesker wants to rule over either a) lots of dead bodies or b) reanimated dead/ semi dead bodies that can't think for themselves. I don't see the point - seems like such a lonely existence.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Of course I would. But I have no interest in - to quote GOT - being 'queen of the ashes'. Perhaps it wasn't Capcom's intention, but I got the sense that Wesker wants to rule over either a) lots of dead bodies or b) reanimated dead/ semi dead bodies that can't think for themselves. I don't see the point - seems like such a lonely existence.
Lol. Not really though. He was going to build his own superhuman race far beyond humans, and rule over THEM.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Well, okay… I still don't see how it makes him any more well-rounded.

I understand the fascination with him - I get the design is cool, he's got the super human powers, he swears sunglasses etc etc. But for me- I don't know, I just find him to be a cookie cutter villain.

I like complexity in villains. Wesker I don't find to be remotely complex and that's why I feel he's overrated.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well, okay… I still don't see how it makes him any more well-rounded.

I understand the fascination with him - I get the design is cool, he's got the super human powers, he swears sunglasses etc etc. But for me- I don't know, I just find him to be a cookie cutter villain.

I like complexity in villains. Wesker I don't find to be remotely complex and that's why I feel he's overrated.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending him. I mean, he's an icon, but icon's aren't always what makes a series. I just hear a lot of people criticizing his motives, and to me they make perfect sense. You're right. He's DEFINITELY simple. But a takes a keen eye to find beauty in simplicity ;)

Turo602

The King of Kings
What made Wesker interesting was his behind the scenes role. He had a plan, the accent, the calm demeanor, the shades, and later the red eyes and the moves. It was all great and unique for a video game villain, then Resident Evil 5 happened. He became cocky, his plan was finally coming to fruition with very little build up after a long hiatus, and then he mutates himself and becomes just another monster.

It was clear Capcom was trying to throw Wesker out the window and end what Mikami started and start anew. I liked Wesker in Resident Evil 5, I really did. He was still Wesker, just now more devilish, but the bigger picture was completely ruined with how rushed Resident Evil 5 was to end a chapter in the series. So much time had passed between Code Veronica and RE5 and all that happened in between at the time was RE4 and whatever RE5 tried feeding us. It didn't really feel like these were the same characters or story from before. Everything in RE5 was so new. Wesker used to be a villain shrouded in mystery and in the span of one game, became so blatant.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending him. I mean, he's an icon, but icon's aren't always what makes a series. I just hear a lot of people criticizing his motives, and to me they make perfect sense. You're right. He's DEFINITELY simple. But a takes a keen eye to find beauty in simplicity ;)
I'm happy you enjoy his simplicity. Wouldn't want to take that away from you. ;)

And Turo I agree with you. I didn't dislike Wesker before RE 5. They showed too much. I think by giving him too much play it ruined sort of ruined any suspense or mystery that previously surrounded him.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
What made Wesker interesting was his behind the scenes role. He had a plan, the accent, the calm demeanor, the shades, and later the red eyes and the moves. It was all great and unique for a video game villain, then Resident Evil 5 happened. He became cocky, his plan was finally coming to fruition with very little build up after a long hiatus, and then he mutates himself and becomes just another monster.

It was clear Capcom was trying to throw Wesker out the window and end what Mikami started and start anew. I liked Wesker in Resident Evil 5, I really did. He was still Wesker, just now more devilish, but the bigger picture was completely ruined with how rushed Resident Evil 5 was to end a chapter in the series. So much time had passed between Code Veronica and RE5 and all that happened in between at the time was RE4 and whatever RE5 tried feeding us. It didn't really feel like these were the same characters or story from before. Everything in RE5 was so new. Wesker used to be a villain shrouded in mystery and in the span of one game, became so blatant.
I won't lie...I think the Wesker I know and love best is the one from the Umbrella Chronicles narratives and levels. I think they slowly, but climatically showed us what kind of character he TRULY was...

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
For me its barry and HUNK, got a feeling il be disagreed with haha :)

HUNK, yes. But not Barry. He's under appreciated, he was in Resident Evil, RE: Gaiden (even though he was unceremoniously replaced by Leon on the box), and RE5's Mercenaries reunion.

HUNK had so little character to begin with, he just became everyone's favourite because was a blank canvas for everyone to draw on and create their own interpretation. Barry is actually an interesting character and is entertaining as HELL in RE1, but Capcom isn't doing ANYTHING with him!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
How do you define "overrated" then? Barry might be a decent character and underused by the developers, but fans still freak out about him for no reason and make him greater than he is, that's what makes him overrated in my view.

On a related note, it surprises me how many people here actually agree that Hunk is overrated. Seems like at least here on the forum, most of us see him for what he actually is: A nobody.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Leon
I'm sorry I just don't get the fascination with him.
He was alright but I prefer Chris Jill Parker Barry ect

Top Bottom