• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil VII confirmed.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I do have a few more positives to say about this trailer. I like the atmosphere they've created and I think the voice acting is great. Visually, it's impressive. I'm wondering what they're infected with that makes them able to hold proper conversations with each other and seem aware of what's going on.

I still maintain that it doesn't feel much like RE to me, but that's just my personal feeling.

I'm starting to believe that they are infected with some chemical that affects the brain. Leaving them in a state more akin to "The Crazies" but a little more sociable. It would explain a lot about The Bakers imo.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
So apparently they added quick turn in the updated demo. That could be pretty useful for the glitch seekers lol.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
WHAAAAAA, WHAAAA it doesn't feel like Resident EvilZ!

vlcsnap-2010-10-23-14h15m45s74.preview_zpscto2mi3o.png

:paranoid:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
^
giphy.gif

Anyway some more info
https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/52to6s/resident_evil_7_details_from_famitsu/
Credit to AestheticGamer

-The people at the dinner table include Jack and Marguerite Baker, Andre from the demo, but more so it reveals the name of the son in the dinner shot is in fact Lucas Baker, and the elderly woman is Camile Baker. The image mentions that this piece of art is made for Tokyo Game Show, and is not representative of the final game. Some of the characters won't be in the final game. (I'm guessing they mean Andre). However, they do mention Camile & Lucas will play roles in the game, and that Lucas is a major character.

-Mia is someone that Ethan is 'close with'.

-Video tapes and other methods are used to 'alter events' during the course of the game.

-There are no hordes of enemies in Resident Evil 7, the enemies are more personalized and stalkerish, but can be combated and defeated.

-The Lantern gameplay shown off recently is a taste of one of the aspects of RE7. You'll face the enemies in tougher scenarios in the memory sequences, and there will be a number of them through the game. The Lantern demo is only a taste of what's to come.

-It mentions there's returning Resident Evil characters (notably plural), can you guess who they are?

-The player awakens at one point in the game in a derelict house, where they meet Camile. It also mentions players will meet other survivors from a unsaid danger in the same situation as you. (note: It was originally translated as the game starts off in a zombie outbreak, but that's not correct, and this is not the opening but a scene later in the game).

-A weapon you obtain early in is a knife, you start off the whole first few hours of the game barely able to defend yourself but it is possible to take down your foes. (note: I originally said it was the first weapon, but it's not actually stated as such, you apparently get a weapon before this knife)

-There are items you can interact with in the environment. Some enemies cannot be killed with weapons, and you'll need to defend yourself with your wit and surroundings. Enemies can be killed by playing it smart with the environment.

-The interview in Famitsu is with the game's director and producer. They talk about themselves, their experience at Gamescom, and the reaction people have had to RE7, they like the feedback they've been getting, and talk a bit about weaponry in RE7 (we'll get to that). They talk about choosing what sort of footage to show, and they showed the Lantern gameplay as it rose questions, was low on action, focus on atmosphere, and didn't show too much. Talk about polishing VR and their three different modes for VR leading to the final release to make their January date.

-Asked if the game is still releasing in January since what's been shown so far is vague, and they laugh and say yes, they're actually almost done with the game they're just keeping a lot from public eyes right now. They say they don't want to spoil things, but please look forward to Tokyo Game Show this year.

-They show a picture of herbs and the finger, and tease what the coin is for (no answers), and that the finger may be expanded soon...

-They talk about the bayou, and mention about a ghost hunt that people are doing for a mysterious girl who is said to have been seen in the swamps.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I read some where today (but lost it) that one of the new characters have a major relation to the series as a whole. That leaves Ethan or Mia, the Bakers, or the girl as a major string. Anyone have any theories?

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member

gonnagetyouuuu_zpsny6e1bsv.gif

To expand upon my thoughts on the trailer, despite the fact that this game is completely straying off from the series, it looks like a good game in general. The graphics, atmosphere, and acting is fantastic. I personally enjoy seeing the inspiration Capcom has taken from other art forms (ahem P.T., Blair Witch, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and putting their own spin to it.

I'm liking the infection that is going on in this game as the infected seem to live out "normal" lives. If you think about it, RE4-RE6 all featured infected individuals who were still able to function and interact with one another. This game is going to really emphasize this capability though.

I still want 3rd person and past characters- dammit! - sorry, those feelings will never go away.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
So they intentionally chose the Lantern trailer because they knew it would raise questions about gameplay and whatnot? You do you Capcom.

@bSTAR_182 What on earth is that from?

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I still maintain that it doesn't feel much like RE to me, but that's just my personal feeling.

I feel the same way man, they could have easily slapped a Texas Chainsaw Massacre moniker at the end of that trailer and I would have completely thought that was what it was which isn't exactly a good thing in my book as a longtime Resident Evil fan.

The entire vibe of that trailer gave off a TCM feeling, the only thing missing was a chainsaw lol.

But I still give it points for at least being survival horror oriented like the classics, but that is all it has going for it in my book.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Evil Dead (2013)
Ah thanks. Ironically, despite a love of horror video games, books, and graphic novels, I hate horror movies.

Yeah I have to agree with a lot of people here that it doesn't really feel all that much like RE. I'm just glad that whatever it is they are doing, they appear to be going all out. Personally I think it's gonna be an awesome game, and honestly if there's like a 3 second Chris Redfield cameo or something similar, good enough for me. But then again I'm easy to please.

Still hoping they can find a way to sneak mercenaries in there...

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Apparently someone data mined this soud file from the demo. I don't think anyone has come acrossed it yet in the game yet. At least not as far as I know.

https://clyp.it/yqbhtpxe

"Oh my god........?" I can't get the other part. Not 100% on the second part but I think it's "Dash her, dash her" in reference to the note you find about dashing them/you against the stones.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
gonnagetyouuuu_zpsny6e1bsv.gif

To expand upon my thoughts on the trailer, despite the fact that this game is completely straying off from the series, it looks like a good game in general. The graphics, atmosphere, and acting is fantastic. I personally enjoy seeing the inspiration Capcom has taken from other art forms (ahem P.T., Blair Witch, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and putting their own spin to it.

I'm liking the infection that is going on in this game as the infected seem to live out "normal" lives. If you think about it, RE4-RE6 all featured infected individuals who were still able to function and interact with one another. This game is going to really emphasize this capability though.

I still want 3rd person and past characters- dammit! - sorry, those feelings will never go away.
Well concluding this game that it doesn't remain or stick to its roots solely because of the camera change is superficial. And the franchise has also often had multiple leading characters whether they're new or veteran and will probably always do.

Apparently someone data mined this soud file from the demo. I don't think anyone has come acrossed it yet in the game yet. At least not as far as I know.

https://clyp.it/yqbhtpxe

"Oh my god........?" I can't get the other part. Not 100% on the second part but I think it's "Dash her, dash her" in reference to the note you find about dashing them/you against the stones.
Wait someone was able to data mine a ps4 game? but yes 3 gb patch just for an extra room and a couple of items is just too much tbh. TGS is still ongoing so we might see more stuff.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
As if the camera perspective was the only problem... Oh well. I have nothing else to say about this travesty of an RE game that hasn't already been said. If others can enjoy it, I'm happy for them. But I will only care about Vendetta and Remake 2 from now on.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Well concluding this game that it doesn't remain or stick to its roots solely because of the camera change is superficial. And the franchise has also often had multiple leading characters whether they're new or veteran and will probably always do.

Dude, we are 7 major games deep into the main series and have brand new characters all around. It is completely different from them using new characters in RE2. The first person perspective doesn't help it any.

So far it looks like a good survival horror videogame, from what has been shown, but that doesn't mean it looks like an RE game. There are reasons why so many fans are saying exactly the same things that I have been saying- it's not just superficial.

I'm going to definitely try this game out and hope to see the tie-ins to the series. But like many others, I'm more excited for things like REmake 2 and the damn CGI movie.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome

Wait someone was able to data mine a ps4 game? but yes 3 gb patch just for an extra room and a couple of items is just too much tbh. TGS is still ongoing so we might see more stuff.
I'm really excited for this game and I'm going to enjoy it come hell or high water. That being said, there are undeniable differences between this and past RE games. There are some consistencies, such as herbs, puzzles, some virus thing probably, inventory (I think?), weapons, and plenty of other things I'm sure. But the overall feel of the game isn't the same as other ones. A lot of people point toward the first person perspective because that change sort of embodies the greater change that has taken place. There's a new, different sense of vulnerability. It's darker, more grounded, and seemingly of a smaller scope. Granted if you look you can tell it's a RE game. Imo they've done a good job of maintaining some series staples to remind people that it is still RE, but it's different. I'm excited and glad it's different, and I believe it can be one of the best of all time if they do it right. I'm embracing the changes they've made and looking forward to what the game has to offer. Some people aren't as excited and that's cool too. Because like I said, it really is different.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
I'm not only referring to RE 2. And no, RE 7's new character establishment is/will be no different than RE 2's because both are canon sequels. Just like RE 7's camera change is no different than RE 4's. A sequel is a sequel no matter how deep or far it is.

And like many more others as well, I don't find common ground with the vocal minority that have been saying that RE 7 isn't RE because it has some other movie or game similarities. It's been done numerous times in past RE games and the complaints were nearly non-existent.

And right, if this game was third-person the purists would probably still be dissatisfied.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I'm not only referring to RE 2. And no, RE 7's new character establishment is/will be no different than RE 2's because both are canon sequels. Just like RE 7's camera change is no different than RE 4's. A sequel is a sequel no matter how deep or far it is.

And like many more others as well, I don't find common ground with the vocal minority that have been saying that RE 7 isn't RE because it has some other movie or game similarities. It's been done numerous times in past RE games and the complaints were nearly non-existent.

And right, if this game was third-person the purists would probably still be dissatisfied.

I'm sorry is there a major title, other than RE2, that has all brand new characters that I missed? I'm not saying that neither one is canon, I'm just saying that this is a huge change and part of the reason why RE7 feels off as a major title to the already well established series.

Where are your stats that people complaining about these changes are part of a minority? Frankly, I only see a handful of you on here who are completely excited and on board with all changes made so far- and that is completely fine. Glad you like what you see, but don't get butt-hurt when others throw their dislikes out there and cry "purists".
As far as first person goes- maybe you didn't realize it before, because every single major title has always been third-person, but there are people out there who intentionally stay away from first-person games. Whether it's for medical reasons or simply personal preference. It does make a huge difference, despite what you may think.

As for taking inspiration from other art forms- I'm completely fine with that. I enjoy seeing things like that in these games and am aware that Capcom has done this with every. Single. Game. I honestly like to point it out because some are in denial about it not being as original as they like to think.

I give credit where credit is due and there are some intriguing aspects shown so far. I wouldn't say that it screams Resident Evil though. Even some members on here, who are in full swing for this title, can admit that it really doesn't feel like part of the series.

Last edited:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Resident Evil was already an established and pretty mainstream series before RE 4 release, that's why at that time the first RE trilogy already sold millions, the term "Survival Horror" was coined, they remade RE 1 and Paul Anderson made the movies (I know this is irrelevant but at least he contributed to the franchise's popularity). Then RE 4 came out and it succesfully evolved the franchise. RE 7 could very well repeat what RE 4 did. And I'm not entirely sure that RE 7 will feature literally all new characters because according to a leak which is partially true confirmed by Famitsu there will be returning veteran characters (yes plural). Also other than RE 2, RE 0 had new protagonists as well, maybe except Rebecca but she was fairly new a decade ago.

RE 7 was said in an interview that it is inspired by RE 1, RE 1 was inspired by Sweet Home game, and that Sweet Home game was based on a classic Japanese movie of the same name. I'm not saying that RE 7 is pure original but it stays true RE. And I understand the people who have motion sickness while playing first-person.

If you really want numbers and stats, then YouTube like-dislike ratio is a good start. As for being butthurt I'm just gonna ignore that. Yes all RE games before RE 7 are third person nobody denies that, however the same situation about changes also occurred 10-11 years ago when they were hyping RE 4. And speaking about RE 4 you can see the reactions when people were first introduced RE 4 by Capcom. I take IGN forum as an example you can check it here and here, even a moderator there said:

"I think RE4 will be a good game. Maybe even great. A lot of you probably don't realize that, but most of the complainers will play it and think they'll like it (at least I do). I'm taking the same stance as Mario--the game will be cool, but it won't necessarily be Resident Evil."

The kind of reactions RE 4 had is very similar to RE 7 and we all know how RE 4 turned out to be. Both RE 2 and RE 4 brought changes to the series while staying true Resident Evil, I believe RE 7 could accomplish just exactly that.

Last edited:

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
As if the camera perspective was the only problem... Oh well. I have nothing else to say about this travesty of an RE game that hasn't already been said. If others can enjoy it, I'm happy for them. But I will only care about Vendetta and Remake 2 from now on.
My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately...

Reactions: Hel

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Resident Evil was already an established and pretty mainstream series before RE 4 release, that's why at that time the first RE trilogy already sold millions, the term "Survival Horror" was coined, they remade RE 1 and Paul Anderson made the movies (I know this is irrelevant but at least he contributed to the franchise's popularity). Then RE 4 came out and it succesfully evolved the franchise. RE 7 could very well repeat what RE 4 did. And I'm not entirely sure that RE 7 will feature literally all new characters because according to a leak which is partially true confirmed by Famitsu there will be returning veteran characters (yes plural). Also other than RE 2, RE 0 had new protagonists as well, maybe except Rebecca but she was fairly new a decade ago.

RE 7 was said in an interview that it is inspired by RE 1, RE 1 was inspired by Sweet Home game, and that Sweet Home game was based on a classic Japanese movie of the same name. I'm not saying that RE 7 is pure original but it stays true RE. And I understand the people who have motion sickness while playing first-person.

If you really want numbers and stats, then YouTube like-dislike ratio is a good start. As for being butthurt I'm just gonna ignore that. Yes all RE games before RE 7 are third person nobody denies that, however the same situation about changes also occurred 10-11 years ago when they were hyping RE 4. And speaking about RE 4 you can see the reactions when people were first introduced RE 4 by Capcom. I take IGN forum as an example you can check it here and here, even a moderator there said:

"I think RE4 will be a good game. Maybe even great. A lot of you probably don't realize that, but most of the complainers will play it and think they'll like it (at least I do). I'm taking the same stance as Mario--the game will be cool, but it won't necessarily be Resident Evil."

The kind of reactions RE 4 had is very similar to RE 7 and we all know how RE 4 turned out to be. Both RE 2 and RE 4 brought changes to the series while staying true Resident Evil, I believe RE 7 could accomplish just exactly that.

I know RE4 had its skeptics and critics as it had its own fairly big makeover. It was still in third-person though, and it dabbled further into the action side- which is really no surprise because past games had many weapon selections and some even having side games for killing lots of enemies after beating the main game. Something else RE4 had was returning characters, making it easier for past fans to get into the change and even keeping some flow for the series' storyline. It was a huge success for Capcom and the franchise and a smart move.

We have seen drastic change with RE7 so far- arguably more than RE4 because of reasons explained above. It looks nice but it also looks drastically different from the rest of the series because we are lacking a lot of backstory and are viewing completely new characters in first-person perspective. I honestly don't see why they didn't stay close to the Revelations 2 route. That game showed that you can still have plenty of weapon-power, third-person and still be scary. Oh and puzzles... That's a whole other conversation though.

You say that RE7 could possibly be as successful as RE4 was and I agree with you on that. We all may end up really liking the new characters and, just maybe, one of the iconic characters will make some sort of appearance... One thing I can confidently say though is to get rid of first-person for any future instalments or make it optional.

All that being said, I personally have yet to see anything that really makes me pumped for this game over the REmake 2 or even Vendetta. RE7 is just that different and I have no sentimental attachments to it other than the fact that it has an RE title.

Edit: Also the butt-hurt comment was fueled from your purist comment. Sowwy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom