• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Other Survival Horror Games

ToriJ

Resident Critic
Asides from Resident Evil I played,

Dino Crisis: I liked it okay, but it felt like too much of a RE clone for my liking. Not just in game mechanics, but with how the story unraveled. The whole opening cut-scene and the first dinosaur encounter was just a rehash of how things went in Resident Evil. If you played RE then you knew what to expect. The second game was much better, but isn't classified as a survival horror like the first.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem: This game was really good and really clever with its horror. You never knew when something was real or an illusion until it was too late. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through.

F.E.A.R.: Not technically classified as a survival horror game, but I saw it mentioned already so thought I would too. I love this game. The first one was the scariest game I played until I discovered Amnesia. Alma Wade is a great character and I dread/love all of her encounters. The second one is just as fun and terrifying for a whole different list of reasons. I still haven't played the third one yet. I plan to in September.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent: The scariest game I have ever played in my life, bar none. I couldn't get very far into it at all.

The Last of Us: A video game in movie format. This thing pushed the envelope in what we could accomplish in gaming. Something I haven't seen since playing Metal Gear Solid. It's not as scary as the others, but it has its moments.

ChaoticMeltdown

Oh man there's a few that come to mind.

Deep Fear on the Sega Saturn - Sadly this game was never released in North America so the only way to play it was getting an Action Replay 4M and picking up the PAL copy, which is super expensive nowadays. This game is pretty awesome and if you ever need another game with monstrous voice acting this should be your first pick.

Another one that comes to mind is OverBlood on the PS1. This game is just......some work of art. I'm a big fan of playing bad games, bad in the sense of a B-Movie style game and OverBlood scratches that itch perfectly.

Last edited:

potato

I would consider Resident Evil more like RPGs instead of Survival Horror.

I played alot of scary games both console & pc, the only series i didn't play was Fatal Frame.

The ones that's real scary: Snes Clock Tower, Silent Hill 4, Siren: New Translation, RE1, Haunting Ground, Dead Space 1, Alien Isolation.

But Siren is the scariest, because it took me a good 2 years to finish a what suppose to be 5 hours game.

Also not sure if anyone remembers "D" series.

potato

In all truthness RE got me into the "survival-horror" dimension, i did`nt even tried to play any games related to this genre prior to that and even after i rarely got piked about any. As of right now i am focused on getting all the classy RE games(before the plaga saga started). But i did play Outlast and it got surviving the horror feel to it, quite much indeed. Played Cold Fear too, now it isn`t bad but lacks that spooky feel to be a survival-horror cherry. And Looking forward to: Evil within, The Last of us and also some already-out-in-the-market ones namely: Alan wake, Silent Hill and Alone in the dark.

the scariest games are usually games that doesn't allow you to fend for yourselves, at most they toss you a few buttons to struggle & pray you get away.

i hated slender the arrival for this reason, what i can't stand is an invincible stalker stalking you while you have to run around the map and find tiny items to pass the level. f**k u Slender! You're not scary but annoying.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
Well I'm currently playing through the REmake remaster on ps3 as Chris, already beat Jill's scenario. This reminds me of why the original RE games were the best and what got me interested in survival horrors in the first place. Other survival horror I like are Dino Crisis, Silent Hill, Dead Space, Alan Wake, The Last of Us, Alien Isolation, Slender, The Walking Dead Season 1 and there was this old ps2 game very similar to RE called Extermination. It even has terrible voice acting lol.

Not sure what games I like to try. Maybe some of the newer Silent Hill games, Walking Dead Season 2 and a bud mentioned Outlast was pretty scary. Might check that out sometime.

LEON.S.KENNEDY

GAMER MERIT
In all truthness RE got me into the "survival-horror" dimension, i did`nt even tried to play any games related to this genre prior to that and even after i rarely got piked about any. As of right now i am focused on getting all the classy RE games(before the plaga saga started). But i did play Outlast and it got surviving the horror feel to it, quite much indeed. Played Cold Fear too, now it isn`t bad but lacks that spooky feel to be a survival-horror cherry. And Looking forward to: Evil within, The Last of us and also some already-out-in-the-market ones namely: Alan wake, Silent Hill and Alone in the dark.
9555.jpg

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
He's probably has the NTSC-J version which has the english subs/text/voices in it. It came out sometime last year and because the PS3 is region free he's digging in right now.

I heard something about that, that's why I kind of freaked out like "WHY THE F*CK ISN'T IT OUT IN NORTH AMERICA YET?"
Seriously. REmake had 100% English Dialogue and English text already exists on GC and Wii. If anything, the Japanese version should have taken longer because they gave the characters Japanese dialogue. (Japanese Barry sounds like Lord Toranaga, it's great)

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I'm super upset that North America won't get a disc release. Damn it Capcom!
Roughly how I felt when RE4 HD didn't get a disc outside of Japan.
I greatly prefer physical media because it's actually tangible. No one can I say I don't own a game I bought if my internet goes out. (XBLA...)

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
He's probably has the NTSC-J version which has the english subs/text/voices in it. It came out sometime last year and because the PS3 is region free he's digging in right now.

Yea I ordered from play-asia and got it about 2 weeks ago. It cost €34 including delivery, which I know is more than the digital version costs but I much prefer having a physical copy.

potato

Roughly how I felt when RE4 HD didn't get a disc outside of Japan.
I greatly prefer physical media because it's actually tangible. No one can I say I don't own a game I bought if my internet goes out. (XBLA...)

Rumor has it if you bought the download copy on PS3 you can get the PS4 version for free when you have a PS4.

MissDomino

Premium
Remake. When you preorder the game you get it for the PS3 and 4. To my knowledge, this is only available on the U.S. store and only for preorders.

Top Bottom