• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Other Survival Horror Games

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
And right you are, it`s Sweeet! whenever you made-up your mind and got the bling-blings, go for it.
p.s- Turn your zen mode on, if/whenever you turn the game on :suggestive:
Well, I didn't end up getting the chance to play it, mostly because My wife and I went to a friends house and ended up playing All Zombies Must Die...Not survival horror at all, but some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game...

egregious zombiemasher

F.O.S solo KAT
Well, I didn't end up getting the chance to play it, mostly because My wife and I went to a friends house and ended up playing All Zombies Must Die...Not survival horror at all, but some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game...
Aw man that is so cool. I mean really, no matter if it be outlast or any other game, nothing beats that feeling of awesomeness when you are dragging your player with/against your pals and familia :D the last one i recall playing with my mate is UT and it`s been ages so, having said that i think you can afford that delay ;b

TJay

Premium
Resident Evil is of course my favorite in the genre. In fact it's my fave game series full stop (tied with Phantasy Star). So many happy memories of this series.

I played the Silent Hill games a lot when I was younger. They are absolutely fantastic. I particularly liked the original & number 3. The eerie atmosphere created by these games is (in my opinion) unparalleled. These games are a total head f**k. The recent re-imagining & couple of handheld editions have passed me by though but I'm sure they're just as good.

I played Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare a lot too, another fantastic game. I do have other AitD games but I haven't properly played them.

I've dabbled in the Dead Rising series. While I like it, it hasn't quite grabbed me as much as I'd have hoped. All they did was make me want to play RE. I also resent this series a little because it seemed like as Capcom were taking the "survival horror" elements out of the RE series, this came along. I'm sure that wasn't intentional.

I thoroughly enjoyed Evil Dead: Hail to the King for the Dreamcast but didn't play any other Evil Dead game, they passed me by and I'm not sure I'd enjoy them from the looks of it (they don't seem to be survival horror as such).

I played Nightmare Creatures which I remember giving me the wig but I don't remember much about it. In fact it might have even been just a demo.

I'm not sure if they'd be classed as survival horror as such but my brother & I used to play the Buffy games on his xbox (think there were 2 xbox ones?) which were very good. I was mostly watching these though.

There were a ton of other random ones too including a load of vampire based ones - most weren't up to much.

I'm very excited for The Evil Within - it looks beyond amazing. I was curious about Outlast & I see some favorable comments for that here, so I'll definitely check that out at some point.

What I'm really curious about though is the Saw games. Has anybody played those?

MissDomino

Premium
I kinda started playing Horror games a bit late, even though I've been collecting them for a while now.

I've finished all the main series Resident Evils of course and a few Silent Hills. Obviously loved those.
Fatal Frame is probably my favorite horror series, since its one of the only ones that that I actually find scary (broken neck lady, I'm looking at you :D ).
I liked the first Clock Tower on the SNES, although I haven't really played any of the others.
Loved Siren: Blood Curse but I still need to play the ps2 ones properly. I'm such a lazy bones.

Deadly Premonition, if it even counts, is great too. Mixing comedy and horror is something I would like to see more of :D (Resident Evil is half way there too haha!).

I've also tried a few not so well known ones like Hellnight for the PS1. It only had a Japanese and PAL release sadly. This one I enjoyed and I like the setting.

Deep Fear for the Saturn almost made me p**s myself, not from being scared, but because it's so cheesy and funny :D.

Picked up an Echo Night for the PS2, but it's not exactly something I would call scary. I'll try to give it another chance one day. I wouldn't recommend it as of yet.

There are a bunch of others I have but haven't got around to playing properly. Haunting Ground was nice, but I haven't played much of it yet. Got a couple of Condemned games but barely touched them. Same with Alan Wake (the disc disappearing doesn't help either). I forgot what else I have.

I wish I could play Rule of Rose one day. Don't know how that will ever happen. Should have just bought the Japanese version while I still had the chance (since it had English voice overs I think).

Waiting on The Evil Within and just ordered The Last of Us (and about time). If the new Fatal Frame gets released here, that too.

the venomous grand design

REmake enthusiast
of course, who could love RE and not silent hill? another masterpiece of a series from what i've played. i also loved condemned: criminal origins. i have played through that game more times than anything that doesn't have 'resident evil' in the title. as far as classics go, i really liked clock tower and parasite eve (currently playing through this gem again!). and who could forget DOOM?

since i see some people talking about it, although i really enjoyed dead rising, i don't think it falls into the survival horror genre just because there are zombies involved. the game is not horrific, given the atmosphere, the soundtrack, etc, it seems capcom had no intention of making the game particularly frightening.
and i personally thought last of us was trash.

Last edited:

TJay

Premium
of course, who could love RE and not silent hill? another masterpiece of a series from what i've played. i also loved condemned: criminal origins. i have played through that game more times than anything that doesn't have 'resident evil' in the title. as far as classics go, i really liked clock tower and parasite eve (currently playing through this gem again!). and who could forget DOOM?

since i see some people talking about it, although i really enjoyed dead rising, i don't think it falls into the survival horror genre just because there are zombies involved. the game is not horrific, given the atmosphere, the soundtrack, etc, it seems capcom had no intention of making the game particularly frightening.

According to everything online it is a "survival horror" game. What is horrific is of course completely subjective - but hoards of zombies running around would be classed as "horror" & having to "survive" does make it survival horror.

I think the term "horror" it's self could spark a whole debate about definition (something I see often on horror movie websites in fact).

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

I agree that Dead Rising isn't survival horror, per se, however, several of the Psycho Path (Boss) fights were VERY frightening, because they were just crazed people. That aspect actually did frighten me...
According to everything online it is a "survival horror" game. What is horrific is of course completely subjective - but hoards of zombies running around would be classed as "horror" & having to "survive" does make it survival horror.

I think the term "horror" it's self could spark a whole debate about definition (something I see often on horror movie websites in fact).
Having Zombies does NOT make it horror lol. Plants vs. Zombies is NOT horror, and that has plenty of zombies. Also, just because you have to survive doesn't make it a "Survival" game, seeing as in 99% of video games, the object is to survive. Mario, Sonic, and Call of Duty aren't "Survival Games" but you don't want to die...Your logic here doesn't really apply. Dead Rising fails to meet the majority of requirements to be a TRUE Survival Horror game, although it is a very good game as a whole. It's more Action Horror than anything.

TJay

Premium
I agree that Dead Rising isn't survival horror, per se, however, several of the Psycho Path (Boss) fights were VERY frightening, because they were just crazed people. That aspect actually did frighten me...

Having Zombies does NOT make it horror lol. Plants vs. Zombies is NOT horror, and that has plenty of zombies. Also, just because you have to survive doesn't make it a "Survival" game, seeing as in 99% of video games, the object is to survive. Mario, Sonic, and Call of Duty aren't "Survival Games" but you don't want to die...Your logic here doesn't really apply. Dead Rising fails to meet the majority of requirements to be a TRUE Survival Horror game, although it is a very good game as a whole. It's more Action Horror than anything.

I wasn't using logic, I was commenting more on the fact it's listed most places as survival horror & trying to work it out, out loud.

REmake enthusiast

true, this is just my opinion. and kennedykiller reminds me that the game did have its scary points..i recall being a tad unsettled the first time i got captured by the cult in yellow ponchos

egregious zombiemasher

F.O.S solo KAT
Having Zombies does NOT make it horror lol. Plants vs. Zombies is NOT horror, and that has plenty of zombies.
you mean something like...
tumblr_n91jb3ZywE1to4jpyo3_1280.png
Bs6gA4aIIAAOI4f.png:large

This. Meh!

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I've played Alan Wake and Amy.

Those were odd games but fun.

Amy spooked me though.

That is why I hate children.

REmake enthusiast
i see a lot of people mentioning alan wake..i know nothing about it. can you guys tell me, as a huuuge fan of RE0-3 but someone who hates the recent installments, should i give it a shot?

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
i see a lot of people mentioning alan wake..i know nothing about it. can you guys tell me, as a huuuge fan of RE0-3 but someone who hates the recent installments, should i give it a shot?
It's basically like if you took Twin Peaks, Silent Hill, and Max Payne and placed them in a blender. It's not like Resident Evil. It's setting is like Twin Peaks except with it's more like a mountain town, it's story and it's horror elements are like Silent Hill in a way, and besides being made by the original developers of Max Payne, it does have some Max Payne like moments (Like a TV will come on with a program and you can either stand there and watch it or just ignore it keep on going). Each level has a Day and Night section, in the Day sections you get to roam around an area and see random stuff happen, basically normal life. At Night is where the action starts as you'll be going up against people who have possessed by some evil darkness. You can't immediately kill your enemies with guns, instead you need to use light as part of your arsenal. You main tool is a flash light, you'll need to keep a steady aim with your flashlight to remove the darkness and once it's been removed then you can kill them, you can also Focus your flashlight which makes the amount of light it shines smaller but also gets rid of the darkness faster, or if possible then you can turn on a gigantic light or lure them into to a area with a lot of light that will instantly kill them. I think you can also use a Flare Gun, but I can't remember. The levels are somewhat large, but it's not an open world. If I also remember correctly, you can only carry 1 gun at a time, or one handgun, and one non-handgun. It's hard for me to explain because it has been many years since I've played it, I do recommend looking up a few vids on Youtube. However, I personally wouldn't call Alan Wake a survival horror game, I can see why people would say it is because it does have a lot of survival horror elements in it, however I'm going to call it what it calls itself, a Psychological Thriller.

Top Bottom