• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Other Survival Horror Games

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
So if you're here, you're probably a huge Resident Evil fan, and it's no secret that the original Resident Evil is what started what was called the "Golden Age" of survival horror, and even gave the genre it's name. But there were survival horror games that came before, came after, and are still coming out. What other survival horror games have you played, liked, disliked, or really want to play?

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
My two favorites are RE and Silent Hill. I've played the first Dead Space, Dino Crisis, and most of Alan Wake. The one I really want to play is Last of Us. Unfortunately I don't have a PS3 but I plan on getting one...hopefully for my birthday this year.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Dead Space was great, it really proved that RE4 could have still been a scary game if done right. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, while a bit dated now, really offered a new brand of horror with the sanity meter and actually messing with the player's head. Seriously, if you haven't played this game, you really have to. There's also Alan Wake, which I don't think would really be considered survival horror, but it's very Stephen King inspired so it's worth a mention. Definitely one of the more obscure games of the last generation and a personal favorite. Though I have most of the games, I really want to try Silent Hill sometime and The Last of Us. I'm also looking forward to The Evil Within but my all time favorite survival horror game will always be Resident Evil REmake, pure masterpiece.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Alone In The Dark 1992
Jack In The Dark 1993
Cry Of Fear
Clive Barker's Undying
Parasite eve 2
State of Decay
The walking season 1 and 2
Lone survivor
Amy

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I really liked Parasite Eve 1, and Dementium: The Ward on DS was a nice surprise. I really like the System Shock games, too.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Deadly Premonition, I love that game to death.

Last edited:

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
Let's see, besides Resident Evil and Silent Hill, I have played Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut, more of a comedy horror, but it has horror in it's genre name so I'm counting it, love that game. Then there was Condemned 2: Bloodshot, really enjoyed it. Then there was the original Siren, have not beaten it yet because I'm stuck on the 3rd level (I'm terrible on that game.). I have played the re-imagining of Siren, aka Siren: Blood Curse, completed it and really enjoyed it and was the first survival horror game in a while that I had to talk to somebody in order to help me get through it (Oh V-Bear, thank you for being there to help calm me down so that I can get through it. Plus I enjoyed our talk. Talking to you is always enjoyful!). There is also Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly, and Fatal Frame 3: The Tormented. I absolutely love the Fatal Frame/Project Zero/Zero games, they are really close to taking the spot of my favorite survival horror series (That depends. F*** YOU NINTENDO FOR DASHING MY HOPES OF PLAYING FATAL FRAME IV AND POSSIBLY THE UPCOMING FATAL FRAME V!). Completed the first Fatal Frame, really liked it. Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly is possibly my favorite of the Fatal Frame games, was the first game in a while that I legitimately got scared (I got lost, ended up going in the wrong place trying to find out where to go, pulled the camera out to see in first person if there was anything in front of me and all of a sudden a ghost appeared in front of me and started to attack, I got scared to the point where I jumped and was gasping for air. I replicated it a second time because a certain SOMEBODY WHO HAS PLAYED THE GAME!!!!! wanted to see what I was talking about, and I still got scared and still gasped for air. V-Bear if you're reading this, I'm doing that thing you hate that made you feel uncomfortable because it reminded you of one of the enemies from the game the next time we meet, hehehehehehehehehehe.), and I still cry everytime I see the real ending to the game. Fatal Frame 3: The Tormented, have not completed it yet, but I need to. There was The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts, I did not like that game, had every element of a good survival horror game in it, but I did not like how repetitive it was, how they absolutely wasted pretty much every single cool feature in it (Namely traveling and survivors.), it was very short, it was obviously either on a limited budget or it was rushed, one gameplay element does not work as it was advertised (That being the survivor system.), I don't know what they were thinking or if it was by accident with the way that zombies grab you and try to bite your neck, and I really hate how they wasted the potential for it to be a co-op game and the developers (Or publishers. I don't know and I don't care) need to be sued for the false advertising that show on the back of the boxart (It shows stuff that is impossible to happen in the game). There was Slender: The Eight Pages, I'm counting it because I feel like it, I've played it like one time (But I did make multiple runs on it) and it was V-Bear, and I remember getting startled and gasping for air a few times while playing it, I forgot what her reaction was. There was Dead Space series, I've only completed the first game in the series and I did enjoy it, I have yet to complete Dead Space: Extraction and Dead Space 2, I've seen Dead Space 3 one time at my cousin's house and one time at a friends house, but never did play it and I'm probably not going to even bother with Dead Space: Ignition. I don't know if the Resistance series count, I am seeing some websites and people saying they are and some saying they are not and some saying that it is both a survival horror game and a first person military shooter, but if they are then I have played them except for the PSP and PSVita ones, I did not like the first Resistance game, I like Resistance 2, and I have played Resistance 3 but I have yet to complete it. I did play The Last of Us and I highly enjoyed it. I have also played Cry of Fear, but I have yet to complete it because the last few times I tried to played it the game crashed, I did update the game which some people have said that it does fix the crashing, but I have yet to play it after I did update it. I've also played the first SAW game, I did like it, although I still take issue with it's combat. I've seen some places call the Manhunt games survival horror, if they really are classified as survival horror, then I have played Manhunt 2, completed it, and thought it was okay (At least the Wii version. I think it probably would've been better if I played it on PS2 or PC where I didn't have to worry about motion controls, and plus the PC version is uncensored an I can see all the glory of those beautiful executions without the seizure inducing censoring effects.).

As for survival horror games that I want to play, it's a gigantic shopping list. There is DreadOut, I want to play that one so badly especially since they are going for a Fatal Frame type gameplay with it. I really want to play Outlast (I may need someone to help calm me down while I play that one *looks at V-Bear*). There is the upcoming H1Z1, I need to get a PS4 first. There is The Evil Within and Alien: Isolation. I really want to play ZombiU, but I really don't know since I don't have a WiiU nor do I plan on buying one soon and I have a feeling that I will not like ZombiU. I really want to get Condemned: Criminal Origins. I hope that Rule of Rose is released on PSN soon, I would buy it. There is also Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, hopefully Steam will have it and I can download it from there. Then there is Haunting Ground, which I hope will be on PSN soon (Come on Capcom or Sony, or whoever's job it is, release the game already on PSN!). There is the entire Alone in the Dark series, but I have a feeling that the only one that I'll be playing is Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on PS1 since there is almost no way that I can get anything earlier than it unless the Alone in the Dark 2 port is released on PSN and there is also Alone in the Dark: Inferno, but that's a gigantic maybe since I have not played the 2008 Alone in the Dark and I have not heard any opinions on how much the Inferno version improves on it. There's also the F.E.A.R. games, but I don't know how long it'll be until I can play those games (I mainly want to play the first one.). There's the ObsCure games which I hope that I will be able to play those one day, except for possibly the Wii one. There is also Slender: The Arrival, thankfully that's coming out on PSN so I won't have to get the PC version. Lastly are the Metro games which I will be playing the PS4 versions of them once I get a PS4 and I get the upcoming Metro Collection.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Man @Book Of McGlynn Memories , That's a fantastic list. A lot of those games kick ass...

Personally, I'm a huge fan of:

Resident Evil - Of course...

Silent Hill - I have a rather unpopular opinion that "Homecoming" is the best game in the series. Downpour was pretty good, and my least favorite, is Silent Hill 3. I think it's just terrible.

Obscure: The Aftermath - I haven't played any of the other games, but this one is Good. Hard. And frightening. It has al lthe makings of a great horror game.

Alone in The Dark: The New Nightmare - I've never beaten it because it's SO Hard. It's also the single scariest game I've ever played. I'm restarting from scratch tomorrow night with my pal Sean actually.

Darkwatch - A Capcom game taking place in the 1800's where you're an Outlaw Vampire. Which arguably isn't a SURVIVAL horror game...It's a First Person Shooter horror, but there was a lot to that game that would get inside your head...

I want to Play:

Parasite Eve - I've played it for about 20 minutes, but was so tired I really didn't get a chance to REALLY get into it. I'll need to borrow it from my friend, Snow, and play it all the way through.

F.E.A.R. - I'm actually going to have a survival horror marathon with my buddy Sean tomorrow, and F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 3 are both on the list. They look awesome.

The Evil Within - There is too much to say about how amazing this game looks.

ZombiU - Game looks great, and I've heard from a few friends that it really is...

Didn't Like:

Condemned 2: Bloodshot - I'm sorry, but I thought this sucked, and wasn't scary...

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I love Resident Evil and Silent Hill. I also REALLY like The Suffering. I want to play the sequel to that game, but haven't gotten around to that yet. I want to play Rule of Rose and the siren series.
Dislikes . . . I haven't really played any that I haven't liked except maybe Fatal Frame.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
The game i listed\am listing in this thread are horror survival games that i played beside RE, SH, and DC

Dark Messiah (known as Hellnight or Hell Night in PAL regions)
Forbiden Siren 2
Dracula The Resurrection
I am Alive
Dead Rising

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
The game i listed\am listing in this thread are horror survival games that i played beside RE, SH, and DC

Dark Messiah (known as Hellnight or Hell Night in PAL regions)
Forbiden Siren 2
Dracula The Resurrection
I am Alive
Dead Rising
You don't know how jealous I am at you right now that you have played Forbidden Siren 2. I wanted to play that game so badly, but I can't because my PS2 is MIA and I can't afford to have it imported (And there is if it will even play on my PS2 if I could find it and import the game.).

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Some pretty unorthodox opinions there, Killer of Kennedys.
Condemned 2 not scary? Silent Hill 5 the best and 3 the worst?

You also mentioned Obsure: The Aftermath on Wii AND PlayStation 2. :O I'll be sure to look for either version. It's from our good friends at Ignition Entertainment, who published the cult classic 'Deadly Premonition'.

One I didn't mention before was Fear Effect 1, just because it isn't usually classified as a survival horror game but if RE6 gets the pleasure, fack it. PLAY FEAR EFFECT! Only play 2 for spank material.
You know what, let's just focus on the Horror in Survival Horror and let me say I like the classic Castlevania games. 1, 2, 3, Super Castlevania, Bloodlines and Dracula X.

Popo

Didn't Like:

Condemned 2: Bloodshot - I'm sorry, but I thought this sucked, and wasn't scary...

Did you play the first one? It's really good in case you didn't. And btw since you are playing F.E.A.R. I would advise you F.E.A.R. Extraction Point, it's the one I found scarier(there is this bit in the end which almost made me soil my pants).

I also took a look at the Slender The Arrival and The Evil Within gameplay, andI am also really looking foward to buy and play them, this is if I can and have money of course xD

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Some pretty unorthodox opinions there, Killer of Kennedys.
Condemned 2 not scary? Silent Hill 5 the best and 3 the worst?

You also mentioned Obsure: The Aftermath on Wii AND PlayStation 2. :O I'll be sure to look for either version. It's from our good friends at Ignition Entertainment, who published the cult classic 'Deadly Premonition'.

One I didn't mention before was Fear Effect 1, just because it isn't usually classified as a survival horror game but if RE6 gets the pleasure, fack it. PLAY FEAR EFFECT! Only play 2 for spank material.
You know what, let's just focus on the Horror in Survival Horror and let me say I like the classic Castlevania games. 1, 2, 3, Super Castlevania, Bloodlines and Dracula X.
Yeah, they aren't exactly normal...I just don't find your character in SH 3 likable at ALL, and the build up to the game is terrible. I won't lie, the most fun I had with it for the whole first two hours was that 10 minute opening scene where she's dreaming...(If I remember correctly it's a dream."

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
I'm collecting the main Resi series. I also want to buy and play Last Of Us some day. I'm also a bit curious on the two (or three) earliest Silent Hill games.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'm collecting the main Resi series. I also want to buy and play Last Of Us some day. I'm also a bit curious on the two (or three) earliest Silent Hill games.
The first two Silent Hill games are REALLY good. I'd play those, then go from there.

XORgate

I love the Silent Hill games. The only one I haven't played is ****tered Memories, and if you ask me, all of the Silent Hills are good games. The first will always be my favorite, but I too enjoy Homecoming. It's the first Silent Hill game I played, so it will always have a special place on my list. People just hate on Origins, Homecoming and Downpour because they weren't made by Team Silent.

Silent Hill 4 (the Room) is the weakest entry in the series, largely due to lame monsters (the only good ones are the twin victims, the dogs and Richard's ghost) and Henry Townshend, who is a serious contender for the most boring protagonist of all time. However, it's still worth a play.

Dead Space is another excellent series, and I really liked Condemned: Bloodshot. I'd love to play the first Condemned game, but unfortunately it never came out for the PS3.

The first two Bioshock games, while not really horror, are also good. They've got their creepy moments though.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Man @Book Of McGlynn Memories , That's a fantastic list. A lot of those games kick ass...

Personally, I'm a huge fan of:

Resident Evil - Of course...

Silent Hill - I have a rather unpopular opinion that "Homecoming" is the best game in the series. Downpour was pretty good, and my least favorite, is Silent Hill 3. I think it's just terrible.

Obscure: The Aftermath - I haven't played any of the other games, but this one is Good. Hard. And frightening. It has al lthe makings of a great horror game.

Alone in The Dark: The New Nightmare - I've never beaten it because it's SO Hard. It's also the single scariest game I've ever played. I'm restarting from scratch tomorrow night with my pal Sean actually.

Darkwatch - A Capcom game taking place in the 1800's where you're an Outlaw Vampire. Which arguably isn't a SURVIVAL horror game...It's a First Person Shooter horror, but there was a lot to that game that would get inside your head...

I want to Play:

Parasite Eve - I've played it for about 20 minutes, but was so tired I really didn't get a chance to REALLY get into it. I'll need to borrow it from my friend, Snow, and play it all the way through.

F.E.A.R. - I'm actually going to have a survival horror marathon with my buddy Sean tomorrow, and F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 3 are both on the list. They look awesome.

The Evil Within - There is too much to say about how amazing this game looks.

ZombiU - Game looks great, and I've heard from a few friends that it really is...

Didn't Like:

I haven't beaten homecoming yet, but so far, the one thing I hate about is the game mechanics. That and the fact that nurses are near impossible for me to kill.
ZombiU is one game that I would get a WiiU for. I've seen like half a playthrough for it, and it looks amazing.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
So I'm in the process of playing F.E.A.R. 3, and this game isn't exactly SURVIVAL horror. DEFINITELY action horror, but they do a good job of the horror part. If they were so set on making Resident Evil more like a CoD game, then they should at LEAST have done it like this one, except make it third person...

egregious zombiemasher

F.O.S solo KAT
In all truthness RE got me into the "survival-horror" dimension, i did`nt even tried to play any games related to this genre prior to that and even after i rarely got piked about any. As of right now i am focused on getting all the classy RE games(before the plaga saga started). But i did play Outlast and it got surviving the horror feel to it, quite much indeed. Played Cold Fear too, now it isn`t bad but lacks that spooky feel to be a survival-horror cherry. And Looking forward to: Evil within, The Last of us and also some already-out-in-the-market ones namely: Alan wake, Silent Hill and Alone in the dark.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
In all truthness RE got me into the "survival-horror" dimension, i did`nt even tried to play any games related to this genre prior to that and even after i rarely got piked about any. As of right now i am focused on getting all the classy RE games(before the plaga saga started). But i did play Outlast and it got surviving the horror feel to it, quite much indeed. Played Cold Fear too, now it isn`t bad but lacks that spooky feel to be a survival-horror cherry. And Looking forward to: Evil within, The Last of us and also some already-out-in-the-market ones namely: Alan wake, Silent Hill and Alone in the dark.
I'm thinking about getting Outlast tonight...Do you think it's worth it?

Top Bottom