• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Most Disliked Character

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I did not said that Leon does not have a personality. Just said that script-writers of RE should let him rest for some years, this guys done a really big job ;). Besides, don't you think that this guy acting different in every game/film? Rookie in RE2, fearless macho in RE4, silent professional agent in Degeneration... For me, they changed him too much. RE2- ok, he was young and scared, but I don't think that intensive training could change his personality so much (not physical skills, that's obvious).
And, I'm not agree with you about Chris. Ada, maybe, but she never played as a main heroine, so she's not bothered me. But Redfield... Well, after mansion incident, this guy swore to destroy Umbrella. After Raccoon and Rockford, where he almost lost his sister, he still keep fighting. Joined BSAA, because she had a something which one is worth of fighting for. Important is also his old rivalry with Wesker. And, in RE6, we can see him not only as a hero, but also normal man, with normal problems- heavily drinking somewhere in Eastern Europe, what could be easily explained by his past (an Edonia mission). So I think that Redfield is far more natural than Leon :)
RE6 was the First time Chris showed ANY character development. He's seriously had minimal lines in the series, and the lines he does have are that of a soldier with no mind of his own just following orders...Even when talking about his Personal Stake in RE5 (Jill) he had next to no emotion in the story he told about her disappearance...Just because he swore to keep fighting Umbrella and Wesker, doesn't mean his character developed in any way. It's much more Unrealistic to have a character stay the exact same for 16+ years (Up until RE6) than to have him change. In RE2, and RE4 he has mostly the same personality, just by RE4 he has lost his naivety. Degeneration, his personality change is COMPLETELY understandable because he has lives to protect that aren't his own. By Damnation he's back to his normal self...And by RE6, he's definitely more by the book, but shooting your Boss/Friend and having a suspected criminal tag along on your adventure will do that to you...

Maestro

Sniper Wolf
Premium
LEON-vs-CHRIS-RE6-resident-evil.jpg

;) Well, it's your point of view. I think that Chris changed as well through this 16 years. In Spencer Mansion he was 'young' as well, not rookie, but for sure he weren't expected that kind of mission then. And what's wrong about following the orders? He was a soldier, first in USAF, after that he had a "little break" in STARS, and joined BSAA, so it was normal life for him. The same like Leon, he was responsible for some people (they died during mission with him, but it's other matter ;) ). And did Leon really lost his naivety? Still 'trusting' Ada, in RE4, and, after she stole Las Plagas, he still helped her in RE6 (even when Chris charged her for killing his people in Edonia). Or Helena, she was strongly involved in death of President, and he just let her go with him to cathedral etc. (she could escape or kill him etc. ). So, summarize, now I think that those guy were more or less equal. But Chris is just less annoying for me ;)

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
LEON-vs-CHRIS-RE6-resident-evil.jpg

;) Well, it's your point of view. I think that Chris changed as well through this 16 years. In Spencer Mansion he was 'young' as well, not rookie, but for sure he weren't expected that kind of mission then. And what's wrong about following the orders? He was a soldier, first in USAF, after that he had a "little break" in STARS, and joined BSAA, so it was normal life for him. The same like Leon, he was responsible for some people (they died during mission with him, but it's other matter ;) ). And did Leon really lost his naivety? Still 'trusting' Ada, in RE4, and, after she stole Las Plagas, he still helped her in RE6 (even when Chris charged her for killing his people in Edonia). Or Helena, she was strongly involved in death of President, and he just let her go with him to cathedral etc. (she could escape or kill him etc. ). So, summarize, now I think that those guy were more or less equal. But Chris is just less annoying for me ;)
The thing with Chris is, soldier aren't allowed to have personalities. Does it make SENSE that his character it this way. Definitely. Does it mean he's developed? Not at all. And as far as I recall, that trust in others is what has always saved Leon's life...There are plenty of times he would have been dead if not for his trust in Luis, Ada, or Helena...Trusting someone doesn't mean you're naive. It means you're taking a risk , but doesn't mean you're naive. And in situations like this, trust is your only way to survive. He also trusted Krauser until Krauser went all apesh*t. But at that point Leon didn't hesitate to kill him...

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I did not said that Leon does not have a personality. Just said that script-writers of RE should let him rest for some years, this guys done a really big job ;). Besides, don't you think that this guy acting different in every game/film? Rookie in RE2, fearless macho in RE4, silent professional agent in Degeneration... For me, they changed him too much. RE2- ok, he was young and scared, but I don't think that intensive training could change his personality so much (not physical skills, that's obvious).
And, I'm not agree with you about Chris. Ada, maybe, but she never played as a main heroine, so she's not bothered me. But Redfield... Well, after mansion incident, this guy swore to destroy Umbrella. After Raccoon and Rockford, where he almost lost his sister, he still keep fighting. Joined BSAA, because she had a something which one is worth of fighting for. Important is also his old rivalry with Wesker. And, in RE6, we can see him not only as a hero, but also normal man, with normal problems- heavily drinking somewhere in Eastern Europe, what could be easily explained by his past (an Edonia mission). So I think that Redfield is far more natural than Leon :)

I couldn't agree more. Leon is different every time we see him, that's what I always say too, so it's really hard to say I like or dislike this character, simply because I'm not sure which character to like or dislike (my favourite is the RE2 version). Changing someone's personality off-screen and turning them into someone new before the next time they appear is not proper character development, it's just lazy writing, or rather, no writing at all. I've never seen Leon go through any major changes in the course of one game, by the end he just goes out as the same person he was at the beginning, and then returns for his next appearance as someone else. Granted, this is a game and doesn't need to abide by the same rules as a movie or novel, and contrary to my scriptwriting professor, I don't think character development is always necessary, but if you do it, then please do it right!

Not that I think Capcom actually care. They know that Leon is popular, possibly the most popular male RE character along with Wesker, and that's why they keep bringing him back. He was supposed to die, remember? Twice actually, but then Steve took his place in Code Veronica and RE4 was rewritten - that should be proof enough. They can't just kill Leon without severely pi$$ing off the fans, and they don't really rack their brains thinking about his personality because they know fans won't do it either. Fans just want to see Leon do some exaggerated badass things, and if that's what they get, they'll be happy. Doesn't matter that his RE6 campaign has just as many, if not more explosions and QTEs and action sequences than all the others, it's still the best because Leon is in it...

While Chris does have some on-screen character development, what annoys me about that is that it's like a broken record lately. We start out with grumpy Chris who has lost someone and doesn't really believe in his cause anymore, then some things happen, some good, some bad... and suddenly he believes again. But wait, am I talking about RE5 or RE6 now? You decide. I just hope the next game featuring him will move away from the whole personal tragedy thing and do something new. It was nice once... twice... but please not again. I think there's more to say about this character than that he's a soldier who appreciates his men.

babaGAReeb

i dont really dislike any game character all dat much but i really that horrible bitch alice, makes any resident evil film shes in unwatchable

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I honestly don't get the Quint and Keith hate. Even if someone did think they were annoying, you don't see them much in the campaign and no one's forcing you to pick either of them in Raid Mode.
And yet Quint and Keith still find themselves getting sh*t flung at them, and are Game Informer's pick for the worst characters in the history of Resident Evil? Come the f*ck on. The series that gave us Steve Burnside, Jake Muller, Carla and Alice, and Quint and Keith get **** on?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Well, that's personal taste for you. I like Jake for being a different kind of hero than the others we've had in this series so far, Carla and Steve might be a little melodramatic, but they were still needed for the stories of their respective games to work, and I don't consider Alice a part of the Resident Evil (game) universe, so I don't think a lot about her.

But Quint and Keith... what's their purpose anyway? They provide unnecessary action sequences in a game that is otherwise praised as a somewhat successful return to the series' survival horror roots, they crack unfunny jokes all the time (Keith at least), there's nothing original about them, and the only useful thing they ever do is find out about O'Brian's scheme, something that should and would have been accomplished by the main characters themselves if the writers had put more effort into the story.

Now to call them the worst characters in the history of Resident Evil is a little harsh, but being one of the fans who aren't terribly fond of Quint and Keith, I can understand where the criticism is coming from. When I think about it, Quint isn't really that bad, he's just... unnecessary.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well, that's personal taste for you. I like Jake for being a different kind of hero than the others we've had in this series so far, Carla and Steve might be a little melodramatic, but they were still needed for the stories of their respective games to work, and I don't consider Alice a part of the Resident Evil (game) universe, so I don't think a lot about her.

But Quint and Keith... what's their purpose anyway? They provide unnecessary action sequences in a game that is otherwise praised as a somewhat successful return to the series' survival horror roots, they crack unfunny jokes all the time (Keith at least), there's nothing original about them, and the only useful thing they ever do is find out about O'Brian's scheme, something that should and would have been accomplished by the main characters themselves if the writers had put more effort into the story.

Now to call them the worst characters in the history of Resident Evil is a little harsh, but being one of the fans who aren't terribly fond of Quint and Keith, I can understand where the criticism is coming from. When I think about it, Quint isn't really that bad, he's just... unnecessary.
I think Quint and Keith are a lot more necessary than Jake...I mean, it shows the BSAA has depth. They were comical and buddy buddy...They are the first BSAA agents we've seen that really aren't emotionless soldiers, or at least soldiers driven by anger and rage (Like Pierce and Chris at certain points in their stories). That said, Jake isn't a BAD Character per se, but he wasn't exactly NECESSARY. Nothing really is. Either way, I'll take Keith and Quint over Jake as characters that I can relate to and have a more personal connection to any day of the week.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
It depends on how you define a "necessary" character. Try telling the story of Revelations without Quint and Keith, and you may only have to give their findings and some of their lines to Jill and Chris. Try telling the story of RE6 without Jake... well. The entire game (except for Helena's quest for revenge) is more or less about him, being the cure and all, so that should prove rather difficult.

But it's not hard to understand people who dislike him and/or think of him as an ass pull, because frankly, that's what he is. So now Wesker has a child all of a sudden... one that has inherited his special blood despite being born before Wesker's blood became special in the first place... yeah. Headscratcher. And it's also obvious that Capcom were only trying to make up for killing Wesker by presenting us with his offspring.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
And when the f*ck did Wesker f*ck anyway? And with whom?
He didn't seem very interested in the prospect of sex in any of his appearances. He doesn't even seem to have a sexuality. Was one time all he needed?

Turo602

The King of Kings
It depends on how you define a "necessary" character. Try telling the story of Revelations without Quint and Keith, and you may only have to give their findings and some of their lines to Jill and Chris. Try telling the story of RE6 without Jake... well. The entire game (except for Helena's quest for revenge) is more or less about him, being the cure and all, so that should prove rather difficult.

Yeah but the stories can easily change. You don't have to tell the same exact story if you're trimming the fat. Jake could have easily become a cure instead of a living, talking, character. Personally, I would just remove Jake and Helena and team Leon with Sherry and you'll be one campaign short but in return have more development time and better character interactions. Simmons and Carla can still be the villains and the overall story could be mostly the same.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

But it's not hard to understand people who dislike him and/or think of him as an ass pull, because frankly, that's what he is. So now Wesker has a child all of a sudden... one that has inherited his special blood despite being born before Wesker's blood became special in the first place... yeah. Headscratcher. And it's also obvious that Capcom were only trying to make up for killing Wesker by presenting us with his offspring.
To be fair, Wesker ALREADY had special blood...The Virus he injected himself with amped it up...

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Really? I completely missed that. Is it ever made clear in one of the numbered titles?

Personally, I would just remove Jake and Helena and team Leon with Sherry and you'll be one campaign short but in return have more development time and better character interactions.

Oh, but that would require many changes, don't you think? Not that I don't agree it could have been handled like that, but with RE6's story as it is now, it would be harder to do than just writing Quint and Keith out of Revelations.

Basically I agree with you, though. If I could redo the entire Resident Evil series, I would change quite a few things, especially by narrowing down the cast of characters. Instead of countless people that only appear in one game and are never seen again, I would take the material that's already there and expand it, so that every character can have more screen time and a more detailed back-story. Here are a few examples of what I would do:

- Combine the characters of Jill and Piers. Since they have similar relationships to Chris, it shouldn't be an issue, and it would avoid the drama of Jill suddenly disappearing and Piers coming out of nowhere between RE5 and 6.
- Combine the characters of Jessica, Excella and Carla. Revelations is set before 5, so Jexcarla could still be a supposedly "good" character then, turn on Chris and become Wesker's ally for 5, get away at the end after seeing Wesker's true colours, and throw herself at the next powerful man just to end up as a clone of the woman he lusts after. So instead of three one-off characters, we would have one major recurring villain.
- Replace Sheva with Rebecca and Parker with Barry. Rebecca could also take on the role of Quint and/or Keith in Revelations if they're really needed, and if nothing else is planned for her and Barry in the future, they could be part of Chris's team that dies in Edonia, replacing two of the faceless soldiers.
- Get rid of Ashley and have Leon rescue Sherry instead. She's not the president's daughter, but still important to the government or else they wouldn't keep her there, and I'm sure they would be interested enough in getting her back to send an agent after her.
- Replace Helena and Deborah with Claire and Chris. Claire is a member of an organisation that fights bioterrorism, and the speech the president had prepared was about bioterrorism, so it should be easy to come up with some excuse for her to be there. Chris was missing for six months, but instead of becoming a drunk, he might has well have been kidnapped by Jexcarla after being knocked unconscious in Edonia, experimented on, and used as a leverage to make Claire do as Simmons says. With the first three chapters of Leon's campaign being set at least two days before the start of Chris's own campaign, there would still be enough time for the amnesiac captain (who, unlike Deborah, didn't mutate of course) to leave the hospital for a drink at the bar, be found by Jiers and brought to China.
- As for Jake, I would either keep him, but make it so that he's actually Steve who was "adopted" and brainwashed by Wesker after his apparent death in CV, or rewrite the whole story so that Sherry is somehow the cure.

There you go, at least ten unnecessary characters are gone, yet the story still remains roughly the same. Half of this just came to my mind right now, soI haven't really thought it all through, and there's no point in doing so because it will never happen anyway, but I'm sure it could work.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Really? I completely missed that. Is it ever made clear in one of the numbered titles?
RE5 states that in the LIN DLC, and I believe that Umbrella Chronicles actually makes mention of it as well, but I could be wrong about that one...

The Darkening Sea

I hate Excella… such a slutty bitch. Dodgy accent, ugly pout, crappy hairstyle, heels clicking, large breasts practically hanging out…

No wonder Wesker pushed her face away in disgust. He wasn’t going to sleep with that thing. It was the moment when he realised how disposable she was to him.

She was a comic book villain’s accomplice.

I was hoping for someone prettier, nicer, and overall more pleasant. Someone reserved who he wouldn’t have mind touching.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I hate Excella… such a slutty bitch. Dodgy accent, ugly pout, crappy hairstyle, heels clicking, large breasts practically hanging out…

No wonder Wesker pushed her face away in disgust. He wasn’t going to sleep with that thing. It was the moment when he realised how disposable she was to him.

She was a comic book villain’s accomplice.

I was hoping for someone prettier, nicer, and overall more pleasant. Someone reserved who he wouldn’t have mind touching.

That was the moment when I knew The Darkening Sea was a woman.

WeskerWanter

Hard Dog
I also hate Excella and had moments of wanting to strangle Ashley (although this wasn't so much because of her personality but simply because she was so helpless), but I'd have to go with Jessica.

Top Bottom