• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Capcom is losing the plot

We Are Ninja

Resident James;63184 said:
Weskers final fight looked neat, I tell ye what.

^ LOL. I loved it when Sheva went berserk on him with her knife. I was like HOLYCRAPOMGYOUGOGURL!!!!:lol:

I don't think Capcom is losing the plot, I think they're evolving it. LIke the OP said, there's only so much you can do with shuffling zombies. I think Dead Rising was proof of that. That game started out with zombies, but soon, they were the least of your worries. The original RE zombies were formidable opponents in the late 90's (when combined with the earlier game's abysmal control schemes...).

IMO, 28 Days Later stepped up the zombie game, and Left 4 Dead brought the "new" zombies to gaming. There's no way you could play L4D with your buddies, then go back to fight slow, stupid, shuffling RE2 zombies... They had to evolve their antogonists and gameplay to stay relevant.

Jason-Voorhees

沉睡的巨龍
i would like 3.5 reminds me of a mix of the Classic games and the aiming styles from RE4, also in Silent Hill 5, RE needs to be scary again, like the remake

v iBaxter

We Are Ninja;63195 said:
^ LOL. I loved it when Sheva went berserk on him with her knife. I was like HOLYCRAPOMGYOUGOGURL!!!!:lol:

I don't think Capcom is losing the plot, I think they're evolving it. LIke the OP said, there's only so much you can do with shuffling zombies. I think Dead Rising was proof of that. That game started out with zombies, but soon, they were the least of your worries. The original RE zombies were formidable opponents in the late 90's (when combined with the earlier game's abysmal control schemes...).

IMO, 28 Days Later stepped up the zombie game, and Left 4 Dead brought the "new" zombies to gaming. There's no way you could play L4D with your buddies, then go back to fight slow, stupid, shuffling RE2 zombies... They had to evolve their antogonists and gameplay to stay relevant.

resi 5 hardly evolved the series as they copied and pastied from resi 4 only new co-op and the enemies are even the same, if u played resident evil from the beggining then you will realise how awesome it was to see the game truly evolve.
also i dont think he was that oversized hes about the same as krauser.

We Are Ninja

^ I've got to disagree. RE5 was a careful evolution, not a revolution like RE4 was. We got a new protagonist, a new setting, co-op play, new weapons, amazing character models, a slightly revised control scheme, etc. We also got a game that brought RE out of the dark into broad daylight and were introduced to a new, more action-oriented brand of survival horror (with more emphasis on the survival as opposed to the horror...). IMO, RE5's impact was pretty substantial.

v iBaxter

new hes been in three games ! the setting of the shanty town was to short, not alot of weapon variety, i didnt like the new characters besides josh, sheva had a very annoying voice and trust me its not survival horror action its just action, running around a mansion seeing zombies burst through doors at the least expected moments hearing them enter and there footsteps running getting closr whilst u try to run before the leaping hunter chops ur head off to try and remember where the last herb u spotted was *deep breath* that is survival horror. not being whacked by a pipe in africa.

We Are Ninja

Weskers Shades;63222 said:
new hes been in three games !
I was referring to Sheva. :lol:

the setting of the shanty town was to short.
Agreed. They could've done a lot more with that setting.

not alot of weapon variety.
I though they did a decen job with the weaponry. There was some really good stuff made available as the game progressed. I wasn't expecting COD: Modern Warfare or anything.

i didnt like the new characters besides josh, sheva had a very annoying voice.
You speak craziness. I LOVE her voice. I ADORE her voice. I could listen to Sheva read the phone book for hours on end...

and trust me its not survival horror action its just action, running around a mansion seeing zombies burst through doors at the least expected moments hearing them enter and there footsteps running getting closr whilst u try to run before the leaping hunter chops ur head off to try and remember where the last herb u spotted was *deep breath* that is survival horror.
A majini jumped out from behind a pile of boxes at one point in the game...

not being whacked by a pipe in africa.
I actually LOL'd. :lol:

Nosophoros

Half of the weapons in re5 were just re4 weapons with new names.

I have to agree with Wesker Shades on the horror part.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
We Are Ninja;63219 said:
^ I've got to disagree. RE5 was a careful evolution, not a revolution like RE4 was. We got a new protagonist, a new setting, co-op play, new weapons, amazing character models, a slightly revised control scheme, etc. We also got a game that brought RE out of the dark into broad daylight and were introduced to a new, more action-oriented brand of survival horror (with more emphasis on the survival as opposed to the horror...). IMO, RE5's impact was pretty substantial.

RE5 didn't improve too much from RE4, but then again RE2 didn't improve too much from RE1 in terms of gameplay.

RE4 was a nice revolution, but Capcom didn't just pull that out of their ass, they implemented many elements from previous games into that.

Over the shoulder and being able to aim, seen in the Survivor Series, as well as CVX introducing the FPS sniper view...

Manual reload was in Outbreak, and File#2 showed us being able to move while aiming, which I hope doesn't show up in a future RE game, but it was there.

Dodge system mechanics were basically improved from the primitive dodge system in RE3, etc, and theres more where that came from.:)

RE5 had horror, having a partner around certainly took out alot of it, especially since we were forced to drag Sheva around for the entire game, but it is fair to say that the earlier visions of RE5 looked pretty scary.:)

We Are Ninja

Weskers Shades;63228 said:
A majini jumped out from behind a pile of boxes at one point in the game...

u cannot be scared at that...?

I was kidding. :lol:

For me, the fear came from not knowing what the game was going to throw at me next. The action and bosses were all over the place.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Wesker Shades, nice to see you point that one out, because when I was playing professional mode, in which you can die from a single hit, that part with the freight containers, when they would just pop out and hit you with a steel wrench in about a second, definately worthy of a scare.:)

Maca(Damian)

When I become a future creative director or any other job within Capcom (Hopefully) I plan to reboot the series in anyway possible.

v iBaxter

Spike991;63923 said:
Wesker Shades, nice to see you point that one out, because when I was playing professional mode, in which you can die from a single hit, that part with the freight containers, when they would just pop out and hit you with a steel wrench in about a second, definately worthy of a scare.:)

the only bit i struggled on was pro on getting the implant off jill, that is pure comedy when playin with a mate. :)

faggot

We Are Ninja;64158 said:
I realize I'm in the minority, but I really, really like the way the series is going.

maybe your in the minority of the "dedicated resident evil fans"
but from gaming message boards etc. i have seen people who generally agree 4 and 5 were a step forward for the better of the series

they pretty much say the series has turned away from attempts at jump scares and into a faster paced action game

i just dont see how 4 and 5 are less scary than their predecessors ( who were good for their time i guess but their mechanics are considered archaic)

idk im tired so im prolly not presenting my view thoroughly

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Weskers Shades;64130 said:
the only bit i struggled on was pro on getting the implant off jill, that is pure comedy when playin with a mate. :)

Unfortunately I had to do that with my trusty AI Sheva...

That and the fight before it were a pain in the ass. I could handle Wesker on Pro, and I could do that while avoiding Jill's Scorpion fire, but I could not do that and save Sheva from her stupidity, without dying over a hundred times.:(

I think I am in the minority as well, although I don't like everything that has happened recently, I do think that overall it is working pretty well.

The ones that dislike it probably haven't spent enough time with it.

Capcom didn't just pull RE4 out of their ass, they really implemented many elements from all throughout the series, probably more than one might think.:)

~Excella~

Premium
faggot;64268 said:
maybe your in the minority of the "dedicated resident evil fans"
but from gaming message boards etc. i have seen people who generally agree 4 and 5 were a step forward for the better of the series

they pretty much say the series has turned away from attempts at jump scares and into a faster paced action game

i just dont see how 4 and 5 are less scary than their predecessors ( who were good for their time i guess but their mechanics are considered archaic)

idk im tired so im prolly not presenting my view thoroughly

The series has changed, yes, but I definately think it's for the better. The other RE games were so similar, it was nice to break away from it and bring it in another direction.

Do I miss the original survival horror aspect? Of course I do, but, I also like what they did to the game because it's refreshing.

T-Virus Injected

I like the steps RE 4 and 5 have taken i just wish they didnt have the "chapters". I just think it breaks up the game. Esp. with 5 where you can fast forward to any chapter you want after 1 playthrough of the game.

Top Bottom