• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Your thoughts about the RE 5 puzzles

sadistic_greyfox

That's not the right way to look at it, just compare the last game in the series, re4, to re5's puzzles and you realize how much of a let down the re5 ones were. Played them all and loved the puzzles in every RE game, for better or for worse, but in re5 it was like so mundane. It's as if they took a picture, ripped it into 4 pieces and said "here, go put them back together". If they're are like "why even try?" (which I hope they're not) then they should get out of the business, the gaming business is a very competitive one and if they are not giving the 110% why should anyone, even hardcore fans, have to settle with sub-par quality, especially after expecting a certain quality from what was given to us in previous games?

sliced-bread-no2

Disappointing. Just like Resident Evil 4, there was a distinct lack of puzzles and what puzzles there were were incredibly easy. Just makes me think that Capcom are indeed more concerned about action now.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Disappointing. Just like Resident Evil 4, there was a distinct lack of puzzles and what puzzles there were were incredibly easy. Just makes me think that Capcom are indeed more concerned about action now.

Not just like RE4. RE5's puzzles, or lack of, were dissapointing, RE4 had it's puzzles, and they were good. Let's not start putting RE4 in a negative box with RE5.

@Sadistic Grey Fox, yes if we do compare RE4's puzzles to RE5's, there is a difference. Some people say that RE4's puzzles were even a bit watered down, and that's somewhat true, and if RE5 is less than that, I won't blame anyone for being dissapointed.

I'm just saying, let's try to appreciate some of the good things about RE5, and the one good puzzle in the game.:) The one with the lights and mirrors.

Oh, and I agree, if they set a certain standard, they need to meet, and excede that, not fall short of it.

I also hope they get their act together, though I wouldn't count on ORC for that, and I'm not sure about RER yet, but that one looks promising.

RE6 is supposed to be a reboot from what I understand....so I almost don't think that will be the one either...

I guess RER is the light at the end of the tunnel. It's darkest before the dawn, and the down is coming. I hope this Dark Knight referrence is doing something for ya.

sliced-bread-no2

Not just like RE4. RE5's puzzles, or lack of, were dissapointing, RE4 had it's puzzles, and they were good. Let's not start putting RE4 in a negative box with RE5.

I can't agree with that. RE4 in my opinion was just as bad. I can't think of a single puzzle that requires me to really use my brain.

bruno

Chief Researcher
Oh right... those puzzles! I prefer those in which you have to find the right door for your key xD -- from 60 or so doors. And then combine the right emblems to open the door which is five floors below, but you have to climb one floor and then descend seven floors and then climb one floor to finally be able to reach the door.... Ahh, good old times!

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I can't agree with that. RE4 in my opinion was just as bad. I can't think of a single puzzle that requires me to really use my brain.

Use your brain? That's what they all did. If you mean, stump you really bad, maybe not so much. If that's what makes a game good, getting you stuck and really have to think in order to figure out a puzzle...well if it's something that really makes you think, okay, but if it's just really stupid, and obscure, and not logical, RE3 is probably the worst perpetrator.

Anyway, RE4, the one where you get the catseye, that one required you to think. The one with the lights was a visual thing, not too hard, not too easy.

The one with Ashley, where it's dark, foggy, and you can't defend yourself against the armour ganado things. You only have a flashlight. Anyway, there was that puzzle with the squares...it's an actual puzzle, not just an RE puzzle...can't recall the name though.

It also had the other kinds of 'puzzles'. You know, the collect a couple of items, combine, use in order to open a door.

The hedgemaze was great.

There are some more, if you require me to point them out. I'm just trying to point out, that there are some great things, being boxed together with RE5's overall horrible puzzles. That's not fair, certainly not agreeable.

I mean, it's not even an opinion thing, RE4 had puzzles. Some made you think. RE5....well it had a couple, and probably only one that was good, and made you think a bit. Nothing that would stump, but let's also forget that having a forced partner probably affected that too.

sliced-bread-no2

Again, I can't agree. I found the puzzles to be easy. And I don't exactly acknowledge myself to be a particularly intelligent person, which is what disappointed me about the puzzles in RE4.

Maybe something clicked in my brain when playing through it or whatever but I stand by my opinion.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
They all make you use your brain in some amount. Even if you use a walkthrough, there's still some amount of your brain that you have to use.

Right.

@Spanky(Sliced Bread, Spanky's just easier, assuming you get the referrence?), RE4's puzzles too easy? Compared to what?

I mean what puzzles in the RE series were really tough? I can name some, but there are some really annoying, tedious, crappy, boring, horribly construced ones.

Again, it's not a matter of opinion that RE4 had puzzles, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. You're issue is that they were too easy?

Usually people just generalize and say that "RE4 had no puzzles", among other stupid things, but you acknowledge they were there, just weren't good enough....I mean, again, why should they even try, when their attempts are going to be boxed in a "Too easy" or "There aren't any" type of category.

RE5's attempts with puzzles were lackluster, sure, but RE4's were fine. RE4 did a great job of utilizing puzzles with the rest of the game.

codename: HUNK

No you didn't read wrong! :p Apart from the Doom like puzzles(find key open door) RE 5 features also ANOTHER puzzle! Yes, I'm talking about the one where you have to turn the mirrors. What do you think about it?

Too easy. I never got stuck in the game even once. *sigh

aoshi

RE 5 puzzles were harder than RE 4. Also action in RE 5 is intense. One cannot stand in a comfortable cover location and fire bullets unlike RE 4. Puzzles in ancient ruins were harder and i could not remember such huge locations easily. I don't see how it is easy.

I am currently playing mercenaries and getting my a$$ handed to me. I don't think puzzles or locations in RE 5 is easier than RE 4.

codename: HUNK

THe puzzles may not have been much, and the horror aspect may have been lacking, but the gameplay was downright... SEXY :p

LordGolbez

The concept was easy...Keeping Sheva's stupid ass out of the intant kill beam of light wasnt though -_-...

I Never Had Trouble With That Puzzle. I Waited Till Sheva Was Up On The Platform Before I Moved It. If You Were Playing Online It Wasn't Sheva's Fault. It Just Means You Had A Stupid Partner.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I Never Had Trouble With That Puzzle. I Waited Till Sheva Was Up On The Platform Before I Moved It. If You Were Playing Online It Wasn't Sheva's Fault. It Just Means You Had A Stupid Partner.

In my game when you do the last string of them and need to run to the elevator thing in that narrow hallway th a.I. Kept hitting the beam in that hallway...

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
There were puzzles in RE:5 ? I don't recall those......maybe am just well seasoned in all things Survival Horror...

After all, am the guy who picked up a rusty drain pipe in Silent Hill and spent the game chasing monsters as appose to them chasing me.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
There were puzzles in RE:5 ? I don't recall those......maybe am just well seasoned in all things Survival Horror...

After all, am the guy who picked up a rusty drain pipe in Silent Hill and spent the game chasing monsters as appose to them chasing me.

There was at least one legitimate puzzle, in the ruins, involving lights and mirrors.

Top Bottom