• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil - Code: Veronica Why all the hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that this is my favorite game of all time. I do get why new people who didn't play it when it was new have a hard time liking it.

That being said I think this is the best in the series because of the story and characters. It is so creepy with the Ashford family. I love Steve and his tragic story with his family. The ending scene was fantastic with Chris and Wesker. It's classic Resident Evil at it's finest. Love it!

Bilbo

I definitely don't understand any hate towards this game, especially from people who love the first 3 games. Its a perfect classic RE adventure. I think the layout of the island and all of the key items is really clever. I personally enjoy taking note of all the locked doors etc. for when it comes time to back track. Perhaps there was a bit more back tracking in this game as opposed to others in the series, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. The soundtrack is great and seems like a continuation of the RE2 OST. The story is entertaining as well and the ashfords are psychos.

One thing I don't understand is people calling this game one of the harder ones in the series. Aside from early on when you have less ammo, the rest of the game seems quite generous with ammo and health items. Especially with the bow gun. SO MUCH ammo for that thing and while it is a weaker weapon, using it regularly can help you stock up on handgun bullets and such.

But yeah, GREAT game!

Agent Spike

Code Veronica X is one of the best Resident Evil games out there. It has a captivating story, soundtrack and a great group of characters (the return of Chris and Wesker!). That being said I do agree that it's very difficult... the first time around.

My first time: I kept dying at the Tyrant airplane fight, I barely had health items to heal myself during the Steve Monster chase, and I forgot to bring the empty fire extinguisher so I couldn't get the magnum. Hahah I almost quit, but guess what? I didn't and beat the game.

My second time around was way different. I had plenty of ammo/health and I had no problem with any of the bosses. I think it's all a matter of beating the game once, getting familiar with the enemies, and having a strategy. Mine is to use the knife and the M-100Ps from the beginning until I have around 160-180 handgun bullets. Then save all explosive arrows for Alexia's second form, and that's pretty much it lol. Like honestly, I don't get why people say the game is repetitive or hard. Oh well, everyone is different so there's no need to argue.

One thing I do agree is the lack of replay value. There's only Battle Game and unlocking the infinite rocket launcher. Wish it had multiple unlockable costumes.

I definitely don't understand any hate towards this game, especially from people who love the first 3 games. Its a perfect classic RE adventure. I think the layout of the island and all of the key items is really clever. I personally enjoy taking note of all the locked doors etc. for when it comes time to back track. Perhaps there was a bit more back tracking in this game as opposed to others in the series, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. The soundtrack is great and seems like a continuation of the RE2 OST. The story is entertaining as well and the ashfords are psychos.

One thing I don't understand is people calling this game one of the harder ones in the series. Aside from early on when you have less ammo, the rest of the game seems quite generous with ammo and health items. Especially with the bow gun. SO MUCH ammo for that thing and while it is a weaker weapon, using it regularly can help you stock up on handgun bullets and such.

But yeah, GREAT game!
For first timers you shoot alot of enemies and zombies respawn in some areas. This will cause people to waste bullets so they can't finish the Tyrant on the plane.

But now when i'm alot better at the game I dodge most of the enemies and usually have well over 200 bullets spared for my handgun.

Shocker

Bought this recently and I've played a little and will finish it but it sucks so far. Aiming is terrible and like very low ammo. Don't know it's just boring so far.

Bought this recently and I've played a little and will finish it but it sucks so far. Aiming is terrible and like very low ammo. Don't know it's just boring so far.
The aiming is the same as all classic Resident Evil games. Learn how to dodge some zombies and you'll be fine.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
hate? Code Veronica is actually one of the most popular games in the entire series. Its frequently named by most fans as their favorite RE along with RE 2. I have never seen any (longtime) RE fan who hates this game. Understandable since this game basically embodies everything people love about classic RE (and features fan favorite Claire). The Ashford-Story is also considered one of the best storylines in the entire series.

I am actually currently playing it again as part of my complete RE saga playthrough (playing all games in chronological order) and even though the game is already nearly 17 years old, in my opinion it is actually still the purest survival horror game of the entire series. Its much tougher then RE 1-3, much bigger, with survival and fear of dying almost present all the time. The only downside is that because of that I find Code Veronica much more demanding and mentally exhausting then any other game in the series because of the constant state of tension and fear. Its the only classic style RE that I cannot play from start to finish in one playing session because this game drains you.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I've been here for seven years and I can't recall anyone who has disliked Code Veronica. The most I've seen people complain about it is having to start the game over because they don't have enough health to get through one of the tyrant fights.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I was always under the impression that Code Veronica wasn't well liked. I've seen few say it's their favorite but overall, people didn't really care for it. I mean, it's not hated like people hate 5 and 6 but it's not exactly praised much either. It's just sort of there. A lot of people even tend to forget or ignore the game and go from 3-4. Which is Capcom's fault for treating it like a spin-off when 3 was in fact the spin-off. But yeah, in terms of old school Resident Evil, it's usually people's least favorite. At least in my experience.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I was always under the impression that Code Veronica wasn't well liked. I've seen few say it's their favorite but overall, people didn't really care for it. I mean, it's not hated like people hate 5 and 6 but it's not exactly praised much either. It's just sort of there. A lot of people even tend to forget or ignore the game and go from 3-4. Which is Capcom's fault for treating it like a spin-off when 3 was in fact the spin-off. But yeah, in terms of old school Resident Evil, it's usually people's least favorite. At least in my experience.

No not really. especially long time fans love Code Veronica. Seriously its one of the most beloved games in the series, I don´t know where you get this idea that its the least liked classic RE. the vast majority of fans (just take a look at gamefaqs for example) name Code Veronica and RE 2 as the best RE game. I have been part of the RE fandom online for over 10 years and all I have ever seen is praise for that game. I have no idea where you have been to say that its the least liked. Thats just crazy. It´s almost as crazy as saying that most people love RE 6 lol

I will also never regard either RE 3 or CV as spin off. Both are main installments in the series and are always listed as part of the main series. Outbreak, ORC, Umbrella Corps etc. are spin offs. Code veronica does not belong in that category. Neither does RE 3 (Re 2 and 3 are pretty much one game for me actually as they both form the Raccoon City incident). Both are full blown main installments of the series for me

I've been here for seven years and I can't recall anyone who has disliked Code Veronica. The most I've seen people complain about it is having to start the game over because they don't have enough health to get through one of the tyrant fights.

Thats what multiple save files are for ;)

Honestly with the right preperation the Tyrant fights are still some of the easiest boss battles IMO. Now Alexia on the other hand is a total pain in the ass. But the most frustrating part in the game for me is the last Claire segment. Not only because mutated Steve but that segment where you have to ****ter the crystal ball under that stone slab. I swear getting crushed by that damn slab is how I die the most in this game.

Code Veronicas two hardest challenges IMO are getting the Rocket Launcher and the Linear Launcher in Battle Game. Those are two of the hardest RE challenges EVER. I think to get the RL you have to beat the game in under 4 hours without any saving and no sprays (Although you can save when prompted after reaching Antarctic). That one was so so so hard for me. But I eventually did it and ever since then playing through the game with the Rocket Launcher is a lot more fun lol . Though once I get enough Grenade Launcher and Shotgun ammo or when I have the SMGs I tend to leave the RL in the box. I only break it out for the big bads.

And then there is Battle Game. I absolutely love this minigame and like it much more then Mercenaries or Versus in the latter games. just going through rooms full of enemies with the best weapons and unlimited ammo, trying to beat the record is just so much fun. And it becomes even more fun once you get the Linear Launcher , which is my favorite weapon in the game. Every single boss goes down in one hit lol. Unfortunately getting the LL is a major pain in the ass as you have to get A ranking with every character in Battle Game, which includes Wesker who has only a knife.

Code Veronica sure has some tough challenges. I just beat the game again an hour ago and then played a few rounds of Battle Game with Claire and Chris. Next up I am gonna watch the Code Veronica cutscenes from RE Darkside Chronicles (I did that with the other RE´s too where I would first play the original game and then watch the story scenes from that game from Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles which is really cool as its like watching a remake and seeing these scenes with such better graphics just after playing the original game is pretty cool) and then I will have concluded the Classic RE part of my RE Saga playthrough and afterwards I´ll move on to modern RE with RE 4, which chronologically is the next one.

Last edited:

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
not sure where this has come from...it may not be peoples favorite of all time, however no one really ever says they hate it.
i've been on quite a few resident evil based forums, and never have i seen people slating the game

Turo602

The King of Kings
No not really. especially long time fans love Code Veronica. Seriously its one of the most beloved games in the series, I don´t know where you get this idea that its the least liked classic RE. the vast majority of fans (just take a look at gamefaqs for example) name Code Veronica and RE 2 as the best RE game. I have been part of the RE fandom online for over 10 years and all I have ever seen is praise for that game. I have no idea where you have been to say that its the least liked. Thats just crazy. It´s almost as crazy as saying that most people love RE 6 lol

I will also never regard either RE 3 or CV as spin off. Both are main installments in the series and are always listed as part of the main series. Outbreak, ORC, Umbrella Corps etc. are spin offs. Code veronica does not belong in that category. Neither does RE 3 (Re 2 and 3 are pretty much one game for me actually as they both form the Raccoon City incident). Both are full blown main installments of the series for me

I guess I'm making it up then... Not like I haven't seen people trash it. Also, a lot of people do like Resident Evil 6. Honestly, I see just as much hate as I see love for it. It's a very polarizing game. If anything, the most beloved games in the franchise are REmake, RE4, RE2, and even RE3. CVX and RE0 are just there while 5 and 6 get most of the hate. But even I've seen 0, CVX, and 4 get hate from time to time. But like I said, that's just my experience.

And Resident Evil 3 is a spin-off. Code Veronica was actually meant to be part 3 but Capcom had a deal with Sony and they just basically ended up taking the number away from CVX and slapping it on to Nemesis. It's part of the official main canon but it's still considered a spin-off. Just like the Revelations series. They don't really advance the plot but they're still important to the overall story.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I guess I'm making it up then... Not like I haven't seen people trash it. Also, a lot of people do like Resident Evil 6. Honestly, I see just as much hate as I see love for it. It's a very polarizing game. If anything, the most beloved games in the franchise are REmake, RE4, RE2, and even RE3. CVX and RE0 are just there while 5 and 6 get most of the hate. But even I've seen 0, CVX, and 4 get hate from time to time. But like I said, that's just my experience.

And Resident Evil 3 is a spin-off. Code Veronica was actually meant to be part 3 but Capcom had a deal with Sony and they just basically ended up taking the number away from CVX and slapping it on to Nemesis. It's part of the official main canon but it's still considered a spin-off. Just like the Revelations series. They don't really advance the plot but they're still important to the overall story.

just read what nearly everyone else is saying here too. Code Veronica is not a hated RE game. Its one of the most beloved ones among LONGTIME RE FANS.

And I know that CV was supposed to be RE 3 but then they had to change it make Last escape the official RE 3. That doesn´t change anything I said. RE 3 and 2 are basically one big game that tells the story of the Raccoon City incident. One half of RE 3 takes place before RE 2, the other right after. but Last Escape IS the official RE 3 and thus a main installment. There is not even a debate there.

And I HIGHLY disagree. Code Veronica as well as RE 0 and the Revelations games are ALL main installments of the series - not spin offs. They are all installments of the MAIN series, featuring main characters in the protagonist roles. The spin offs are the games that take place at the side (or not even in the continuity of the main series) and don´t feature the characters of the main series as the primary player characters. The Revelations games are every bit a main installment to me as any of the numbered games. There is the main series and there is the spin offs.

I mean take a look at these forums - there is a section for spin offs and Code Veronica and Revelations are not listed there but are instead listed under Main series. Because they are installments of the main series and not spin offs. But I have the feeling we could debate this forever.....

To me there is only main series and spin offs. And I play only the main series - which includes Code Veronica or Revelations. If its a full blown RE single player game with a storyline that features one or several of the main characters as player characters then its not a spin off but a fully fledged installment of the main series. Call it an interlude if you will.

By your rationale RE 4 would be a spin off to because its main canon and is important to the overall story but does not really advance the main plot either. Which is of course nonsense. the Main series has 10 installments - none of them are spin offs (Main series installments and spin offs are very different type of games).

Team Shooters, mercenaries, mobile games - those are spin offs. You can´t throw full blown RE games that feature the gameplay, characters and content of a main installment like Revelations into that category.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
just read what nearly everyone else is saying here too. Code Veronica is not a hated RE game. Its one of the most beloved ones among LONGTIME RE FANS.

And I know that CV was supposed to be RE 3 but then they had to change it make Last escape the official RE 3. That doesn´t change anything I said. RE 3 and 2 are basically one big game that tells the story of the Raccoon City incident. One half of RE 3 takes place before RE 2, the other right after. but Last Escape IS the official RE 3 and thus a main installment. There is not even a debate there.

And I HIGHLY disagree. Code Veronica as well as RE 0 and the Revelations games are ALL main installments of the series - not spin offs. They are all installments of the MAIN series, featuring main characters in the protagonist roles. The spin offs are the games that take place at the side (or not even in the continuity of the main series) and don´t feature the characters of the main series as the primary player characters. The Revelations games are every bit a main installment to me as any of the numbered games. There is the main series and there is the spin offs.

I mean take a look at these forums - there is a section for spin offs and Code Veronica and Revelations are not listed there but are instead listed under Main series. Because they are installments of the main series and not spin offs. But I have the feeling we could debate this forever.....

To me there is only main series and spin offs. And I play only the main series - which includes Code Veronica or Revelations. If its a full blown RE single player game with a storyline that features one or several of the main characters as player characters then its not a spin off but a fully fledged installment of the main series. Call it an interlude if you will.

By your rationale RE 4 would be a spin off to because its main canon and is important to the overall story but does not really advance the main plot either. Which is of course nonsense. the Main series has 10 installments - none of them are spin offs (Main series installments and spin offs are very different type of games).

Team Shooters, mercenaries, mobile games - those are spin offs. You can´t throw full blown RE games that feature the gameplay, characters and content of a main installment like Revelations into that category.

If you look through the whole thread you'd see that not everyone here loves it. This forum doesn't make up the entirety of the Resident Evil community. I've seen plenty of other opinions against the game. Accept it already. I'm not saying nobody likes it, I'm sure plenty of people do but I've seen plenty of hate too and yes, from LONGTIME RESIDENT EVIL FANS.

Also, whatever you may feel is irrelevant. The Revelations series is considered a spin-off. Resident Evil 3 may not "officially" be considered a spin-off but by definition it is. These forums don't decide what is or isn't a spin-off. It's made to be simple and easy to navigate.

Resident Evil 4 is a special case. It was originally meant to end the series due to dwindling sales but as the game took a new direction they decided it wouldn't be the end and therefore the story suffered. Even then, RE4 was establishing new ground and without it, RE5 couldn't happen. So yes, it does still move things forward.

Anyway, think what you want. But the facts are, Resident Evil 3 (realistically), Code Veronica (officially), Revelations, Revelations 2, The Umbrella Chronicles, and The Darkside Chronicles are all canon spin-offs. You can look it up.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Forgive me if I'm wrong because I haven't touched RE 3 in more than a decade, but isn't Raccoon City obliterated at the end of the game? Seems like far too substantial a plot point for a game that's allegedly not part of the main series. I did look it up because I was curious, and I couldn't find a single source that cites RE 3 as a spin-off. Can you link to some?

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
If you look through the whole thread you'd see that not everyone here loves it. This forum doesn't make up the entirety of the Resident Evil community. I've seen plenty of other opinions against the game. Accept it already. I'm not saying nobody likes it, I'm sure plenty of people do but I've seen plenty of hate too and yes, from LONGTIME RESIDENT EVIL FANS.

Also, whatever you may feel is irrelevant. The Revelations series is considered a spin-off. Resident Evil 3 may not "officially" be considered a spin-off but by definition it is. These forums don't decide what is or isn't a spin-off. It's made to be simple and easy to navigate.

Resident Evil 4 is a special case. It was originally meant to end the series due to dwindling sales but as the game took a new direction they decided it wouldn't be the end and therefore the story suffered. Even then, RE4 was establishing new ground and without it, RE5 couldn't happen. So yes, it does still move things forward.

Anyway, think what you want. But the facts are, Resident Evil 3 (realistically), Code Veronica (officially), Revelations, Revelations 2, The Umbrella Chronicles, and The Darkside Chronicles are all canon spin-offs. You can look it up.

As I said we can debate this forever. RE 3 is NOT a spin off, period. Neither is Code Veronica or the Revelations games. I won´t list all the reasons for this again. Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are indeed spin offs. They do have certain canon elements (Russia and Operation Javier) but everything else is not canon (They heavily change some elements from the original games). But most importantly these games are not fully fledged Resident Evil main games because they don´t have the gameplay of a main game or tell an entire story of their own. They are rail shooters. So yeah those are definitely spin offs. Thats what spin off means (as in not part of the main series)

The same does not apply for Code Veronica, Revelations and any numbered title (who are not spin offs by default) who are fully developed single player RE games with main characters , gameplay of a main game title and a storyline. The only difference between these games and the numbered ones is literally the number in the title.

So right back at ya - believe what you want but the main series is the main series and the spin offs are the spin offs. And RE 3, CV and Rev are officially considered part of the main series not spinoffs.

And about Code Veronica, even wikipedia says that it is considered as one of the greatest RE games of all time. of course there will always be some people who don´t like it but the vast majority of the RE fandom has always considered it one of the best games. maybe its you who needs to accept that.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Forgive me if I'm wrong because I haven't touched RE 3 in more than a decade, but isn't Raccoon City obliterated at the end of the game? Seems like far too substantial a plot point for a game that's allegedly not part of the main series. I did look it up because I was curious, and I couldn't find a single source that cites RE 3 as a spin-off. Can you link to some?

Like I said, officially, it's not. It was given the 3 in the title due to some agreement Capcom had with Sony. So it's not going to be listed as a spin-off. Code Veronica, the game that was originally part 3 was now considered the spin-off.

Skip to about 3:45.

It doesn't matter how big or small the event was, it's still a spin-off game. It was always meant to be a spin-off of RE2 which is why it's so closely related to it. Just because it's labeled a spin-off (which it technically isn't lol) doesn't mean it's not part of the main story. If it's not the next big Resident Evil title like Resident Evil 7 for example, then it's not considered a main installment. Revelations 2 is a spin-off because it's not the next major leap for the franchise. It's part of its own series that focuses on past events that connects with the main installments while doing its own thing.

As I said we can debate this forever. RE 3 is NOT a spin off, period. Neither is Code Veronica or the Revelations games. I won´t list all the reasons for this again. Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles are indeed spin offs. They do have certain canon elements (Russia and Operation Javier) but everything else is not canon (They heavily change some elements from the original games). But most importantly these games are not fully fledged Resident Evil main games because they don´t have the gameplay of a main game or tell an entire story of their own. They are rail shooters. So yeah those are definitely spin offs. Thats what spin off means (as in not part of the main series)

The same does not apply for Code Veronica, Revelations and any numbered title (who are not spin offs by default) who are fully developed single player RE games with main characters , gameplay of a main game title and a storyline. The only difference between these games and the numbered ones is literally the number in the title.

So right back at ya - believe what you want but the main series is the main series and the spin offs are the spin offs. And RE 3, CV and Rev are officially considered part of the main series not spinoffs.

And about Code Veronica, even wikipedia says that it is considered as one of the greatest RE games of all time. of course there will always be some people who don´t like it but the vast majority of the RE fandom has always considered it one of the best games. maybe its you who needs to accept that.

Ugh, I'm done with you dude. Your opinions are irrelevant to facts. I don't make the rules nor am I speaking based on my own personal opinion. If you don't know what a spin-off is, then you can't be helped.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
Why don't you guys stop comparing dick sizes and who can better argue what a spin off is. Long story short, RE3 is a main installment and part of the cannon story line so no matter how you look at it, it's an integral part of the series

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
Like I said, officially, it's not. It was given the 3 in the title due to some agreement Capcom had with Sony. So it's not going to be listed as a spin-off. Code Veronica, the game that was originally part 3 was now considered the spin-off.

Skip to about 3:45.

It doesn't matter how big or small the event was, it's still a spin-off game. It was always meant to be a spin-off of RE2 which is why it's so closely related to it. Just because it's labeled a spin-off (which it technically isn't lol) doesn't mean it's not part of the main story. If it's not the next big Resident Evil title like Resident Evil 7 for example, then it's not considered a main installment. Revelations 2 is a spin-off because it's not the next major leap for the franchise. It's part of its own series that focuses on past events that connects with the main installments while doing its own thing.

Ugh, I'm done with you dude. Your opinions are irrelevant to facts. I don't make the rules nor am I speaking based on my own personal opinion. If you don't know what a spin-off is, then you can't be helped.

lol maybe you need to learn what "spin off" actually means. Spin offs and main series are two entirely different catageories - thats why they are listed as such in this very forum.

But don´t worry, "dude", I really dislike you too. Always did actually ever since I read some posts of you a while back. This little "conversation" only reaffirmed my initial impression of you. You´re not much fun to be around and highly uncongenial to boot. Good night to you sir.

ToCool74

Veteran Member

Agreed, I've also been around the Resident Evil scene online for a while now and have never seen anything to suggest or backup the notion that fans tend to hate this game, its always to the contrary really with a lot of fans having favorable opinions of it.

I staff the most popular modding site for Resident Evil which of course has a lot of longtime Resident Evil fans and I have seen none of our members have anything negative to say about the game the entire 7 years I have been over there, all of them always have good things to say about.

Its the same here (somewhat), I actually did not see people stating their dislike for the game until this topic was created, in all the discussions I have been a part of over the years on this forum I have never seen much hate towards this game, the ONLY notable negative thing that gets thrown around is as La Femme said there is frustration amongst fans with the aspect of it where you run low on Heath at the Tyrant boss battle on the plane and have to start the entire game over since you can't get any more health at that point.

When it comes to games that get a lot of flake with the Resident Evil fanbase its more of the recent ones that get much hate such as RE5,RE6,or REORC, but even then those games such as RE5 and RE6 gets some love over on the other forums I frequent with some members naming it as their favorite, but I tend to see a majority having negative things to say about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom