• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Which Weapons Do You Use For Boss Fights?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1428
  • Start date

tequila

Bottle Lover
I'm always using the fully custom RED 9 for the first half of the game and whip out the good ol fully loaded upgraded striker. Inf. rocket launcher is left for boss fights.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Dos;68675 said:
So I just realised something...

The Mine Thrower, when exclusively upgraded, is meant to shoot heat-seeking mines that home in on an enemy- they will usually hit and latch on to them somewhere in the stomach/chest area.

But has anyone ever tried using the Mine Thrower on Verdugo? I was mucking around just before, attempting to do this- I shot no less than five mines at Verdugo when he was directly ahead. In other words, I couldn't possibly miss from there, with the the homing capability of the mines and all.

But guess what? Miss I did. The mines didn't seek him out at all...they just harmlessly floated past him and embedded in the wall well behind him.
So the darts went straight through him? :huh:

So what is this about? Is it perhaps that exoskeleton he has, does it block out all heat emissions from his body as well as making him virtually bullet-proof? And just exactly what on earth is Verdugo? A former mutated human? A former mutated insect? A pure plaga? Something else?
I have also wondered what the verdugos are. I have not found any evidence that plaga is involved. It's like Capcom borrowed them from Half-Life....

Dos

Well Verdugo must have a Plaga somewhere because apparently the PRL kills it instantly...

And no, the darts didn't go right through him, but they missed him. I didn't aim directly at him (just in his general direction) because, with the homing capabilities of the exclusively upgraded Mine Thrower, you don't need to- the mines will redirect straight to the enemy's midriff or chest even if you don't aim directly at them. But these ones didn't deviate back on course and hit, they just harmlessly continued on their way and hit the wall well behind him. I've never seen that happen with any other enemy.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
What happens if you hit him? Try that. I don't know the power of the darts, some have suggested it's about the same as a frag grenade (whatever that is).

You probably know this, but the "power" upgrades for the Mine Thrower is not about power - it is blast radius.

Dos

If you hit him I would imagine it would do him a little damage...but even 15 mine darts with a blast radius of 6.0 (the fully upgraded radius is 6.0) wouldn't even come close to killing Verdugo (unless you did it to him while frozen, then it might)...even on easy he has around 600 health points, and has 900 on normal and I believe around 1200 on pro!

Returning to my original question though, considering that the heat seeking mines apparently don't seem to pick up any 'heat' from Verdugo, it seems likely that his exoskeleton blocks all heat output. It's the most obvious explanation I think. He is one badass and tough boss, that's for sure.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Dos;68749 said:
considering that the heat seeking mines apparently don't seem to pick up any 'heat' from Verdugo, it seems likely that his exoskeleton blocks all heat output. It's the most obvious explanation I think.
He could be poikilotherm (cold-blooded). I don't think he can block heat output without wearing a space suit.

And are we sure that the homing darts actually are heat-seeking?

Dos

Well my understanding is that they are meant to be heat seeking, hence why they home in on the midriff/chest area- that's generally the warmest part of a body!

Hoady

Depends on the boss really i would fully upgrade a weapon and if i didn't like it anymore for any reason i'd just swap it for something else so i've always got a variety for bosses.Always got that bolt action rifle though,best thing ever.

I hate that bodyguard dude though hes way gay, i usually thrash him with tmp and riot shotgun.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Hoady;70360 said:
Depends on the boss really i would fully upgrade a weapon and if i didn't like it anymore for any reason i'd just swap it for something else so i've always got a variety for bosses.Always got that bolt action rifle though,best thing ever.

I hate that bodyguard dude though hes way gay, i usually thrash him with tmp and riot shotgun.
It's not often to hear that someone likes the bolt action! :) It's the coolest gun in the game, but I use the semi-auto because coolest is not always best.

Bodyguard? Do you mean the "right hand" (Verdugo)? He's not gay as far as I know... he's just dead. ;)

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
Well, most of the time I use the TMP or the riot shotgun...but I do use the rifle sometimes. It just depends on which boss it is.

greaterbadass

The Strategic One
Dr Salvador: Shotgun
Mendez: Incenidary Grenades, TMP
El Gigante: Shotgun (TMP in chapter 4)
Garrador: Grenades, Riot Gun
Verdugo: Rocket Launcher or Broken Butterfly
Salazar: Semi-Auto Rifle, Mine Thrower
U3: Striker, Killer 7, Mine Thrower
Saddler: Mine Thrower, Semi-Auto Rifle, Red 9, Sp Rocket Launcher.

I LOVE RIFLES XD

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I found my new best weapons to use on bosses.

Blacktail - I don't know why, but for some reason shooting an el gigante a few times with a fully powered Blacktail brings it down on its knees faster than any other weapon besides the special weapons.

TMP - It is dosen't have that much power, but it does really well against some bosses.

Striker - My shotgun in the game. No pummping, faster reloading, bigger clip, good amount of power, and it is the most powerful shotgun in the game. That is good enough for me to use it against bosses.

Semi Auto Rifle - It can kill a garrodor in one hit in Mercenaries so I think it is good enough for story even though I don't think it will kill a garrodor in one hit in story.

Crossbow - Only good for Garrodors and Saddler in the mini game "The Another Order"

Broken Butterfly - I only use it against U3 since all the other weapons suck a** on that boss battle besides TMP and Blacktail.

Dos

The Major;70842 said:
Striker - My shotgun in the game. No pummping, faster reloading, bigger clip, good amount of power, but not as much as the Shotgun or Riot Gun, but it is still good against bosses. That is good enough for me to use it against bosses.
Not as much power as a Shotgun or Riot Gun? The Striker has a maxed out power of 12.0; the Riot Gun has a maxed out power of 10.0, and the Shotgun of just 8.0...so the Striker is the most powerful. The only area where it lacks in power is over longer distances- the Shotgun and Riot Gun are better over medium and long range. But then, in my view, you generally shouldn't be using the Riot Gun and Shotgun for medium or long distance anyway, so it's kind of irrelevant.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
Dos;70860 said:
Not as much power as a Shotgun or Riot Gun? The Striker has a maxed out power of 12.0; the Riot Gun has a maxed out power of 10.0, and the Shotgun of just 8.0...so the Striker is the most powerful. The only area where it lacks in power is over longer distances- the Shotgun and Riot Gun are better over medium and long range. But then, in my view, you generally shouldn't be using the Riot Gun and Shotgun for medium or long distance anyway, so it's kind of irrelevant.

I better change my post then. I thought that the Striker was the weakest of the shotguns. I thought of this because I didn't pay attention to the power of the shotgun and didn't purchase the riot gun on my last playthrough. Thanks for telling me this.

Dos

The Major;70864 said:
I better change my post then. I thought that the Striker was the weakest of the shotguns. I thought of this because I didn't pay attention to the power of the shotgun and didn't purchase the riot gun on my last playthrough. Thanks for telling me this.
I'll admit that sometimes, if you're trying to use the Striker over medium or long range, it can at least FEEL like the weakest of the three shotguns- but then that's because the Striker has a much wider shot and so its power does tend to 'disperse' and weaken much more than the Shotgun and Riot Gun in long range and medium range combat. Used as shotguns are really intended to be used- for 'crowd control' from close range- the Striker is by far the best choice, not only because of the greater power, but also the wider shot and much faster firing rate.

And particularly compared to Shotgun (power of 12.0 compared to 8.0), the increased power of the Striker really does make a difference. I have a professional file on my game that I use mainly for experimenting- I once started Chapter 4-2 with each of the different shotguns and tested how long it took me to finish off the Dr Salvador down in the mines. This particular Salvador is the second strongest in the game, he has around 95 health points on professional. Only the one in the upper level of the two story building in Chapter 4-3 has more (he takes nine shots from the fully upgraded semi-auto rifle to the head to kill on pro, so it's fair to assume he has over 120 HP). Anyway, with the Striker, I killed the 4-2 Salvador in only eight shots to head- shooting from the same range with the Riot Gun, it took me ten shots, and with the Shotgun, twelve shots.

Top Bottom