• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Which characters do you ship together?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I think it comes from the fact that some people view characters a certain way and when they enter a fanbase and see characters they see as platonic being shipped as something other than friends so popularly it gets annoying seeing it everywhere. I remember with my first experiences how weird it was to see characters I never thought of as couples being shipped so hard. I think what Deathstroke means is that they value Jill and Chris's relationship as friends and if they became a couple they lose something that made them great friends without being romantic but hey I could totally just be pulling this out of my ass take what you will from this ┐(‘~`;)┌
I'm not really buying it, to be honest. There's a wealth of research that confirms friendship is the key to a successful relationship. If you've been friends with someone for years and if you truly value your friendship with them, you're going to work hard to make it work if that relationship does indeed roll into sexier territory. You've already been best friends, so why wouldn't you want to work at it? Too many people now just throw themselves at the first person who gratifies them sexually, and then when the tits drop we turn around and wonder why the divorce rate is pretty close 50 percent across the board, lol.

I think it's inherently cheaper to say 'I don't want to try this because it might ruin my relationship with you'. If you're willing to pass on someone who is very well a potential mate, who has bent over backwards for you and risked their own life for your welfare (and in fact was willing to risk a lot of people's lives for your welfare) just because you're scared it might not work out.. I think that's pretty sad, tbh.

This is my inherent problem with the suggestion that romance cheapens friendship and as an extension, the suggestion that Chris/Jill is somehow less valid than pairings where characters haven't even met/have no relationship or are in some cases even arch enemies. I can't think of another pairing who'd be more stable than Chris and Jill. And if a stable relationship is a cheap and degrading one then, well, fml.

meg5493

I'm not really buying it, to be honest. There's a wealth of research that confirms friendship is the key to a successful relationship. If you've been friends with someone for years and if you truly value your friendship with them, you're going to work hard to make it work if that relationship does indeed roll into sexier territory. You've already been best friends, so why wouldn't you want to work at it? Too many people now just throw themselves at the first person who gratifies them sexually, and then when the tits drop we turn around and wonder why the divorce rate is pretty close 50 percent across the board, lol.

I think it's inherently cheaper to say 'I don't want to try this because it might ruin my relationship with you'. If you're willing to pass on someone who is very well a potential mate, who has bent over backwards for you and risked their own life for your welfare - and intact was willing to risk a lot of people's lives for your welfare, just because you're scared it might not work out, then that's super weird.

This is my inherent problem with the suggestion that romance cheapens friendship and thus is degrading and as an extension, the suggestion that Chris/Jill is somehow less valid than pairings where characters haven't even met/have no relationship and are in some cases even arch enemies. I can't think of another pairing who'd be more stable than Chris and Jill. And if a stable relationship is a cheap one then, well, fml.

Yeah I get that, when I was writing the first reply I was thinking about romantic friendship is like a thing I know, but I think (and hey Deathstroke jump in anytime if I'm misreading you here) Deathstroke just prefers a more platonic friendship based on a preference that they ship Jill with a character that was only referenced in background canon which gives them more room for speculation on that person. Friendship that leads to romance can be great, friendship that you think leads to romance but doesn't can also be great.

When it comes to Chris/Jill I see a lot of people shipping Chris with other people a lot more then Jill based on preference. I don't even think Capcom could even handle a Chris/Jill relationship well enough to make people happy. Its rare for fans to ship more well-known characters with the more non existent characters eh its their opinion has jarring and strange as it maybe and **** us off.

Though Resident evil has never been one about romance we can all agree but if love can bloom on a battlefield it would be because of the fans
tumblr_inline_mz35ygwqo31r7fr4g.jpg

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Yeah I get that, when I was writing the first reply I was thinking about romantic friendship is like a thing I know, but I think (and hey Deathstroke jump in anytime if I'm misreading you here) Deathstroke just prefers a more platonic friendship based on a preference that they ship Jill with a character that was only referenced in background canon which gives them more room for speculation on that person. Friendship that leads to romance can be great, friendship that you think leads to romance but doesn't can also be great.

When it comes to Chris/Jill I see a lot of people shipping Chris with other people a lot more then Jill based on preference. I don't even think Capcom could even handle a Chris/Jill relationship well enough to make people happy. Its rare for fans to ship more well-known characters with the more non existent characters eh its their opinion has jarring and strange as it maybe and **** us off.
Though Resident evil has never been one about romance we can all agree but if love can bloom on a battlefield it would be because of the fans
I get that. And like I said before, I don't see Capcom ever going in this direction because it makes little sense for their brand. They make horror/action games. And I'm not a fan of Chris or Jill so oddly enough I don't even have a horse in this race. I just don't like the suggestion that turning a platonic friendship into romance is cheap and degrading. It sends the wrong message in so many ways - relationships based on friendship above sexual gratification and passion/desire are far more likely to be successful and stable. Leon and Ada, who Deathstroke indicated as his favourite couple haven't likely spent more than 48 total hours together to be liberal with that estimation, know very little about each other, and seemingly feel deeply in love in a matter of a few hours. I mean, come on.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Also am I the ONLY person who see's Ava Paige as a far less ****ed up version of Alex?

No, you're not. ;) Perhaps you noticed that I used to have an Alex-themed profile (picture + signature) some time ago, and then I changed it to Ava Paige. That was not a coincidence.

Don't you remind me of this beautiful tragedy ever again.

What tragedy? There is no tragedy in my head canon... *innocent whistling*

As for Chris and Jill... I guess most regular users here already know my opinion on them as a pairing, but here are some quick thoughts: Those two are already fixated enough on each other as it is. Revelations 1, the first game to actually star them together, was a disaster in the characters department, with both Chris and Jill being dull as hell for not thinking about anything but each other, and them being in an official relationship would make things even worse. Is that what Valenfielders want? I don't think so, and I agree with whoever said (sorry, I lost track) that Capcom couldn't handle a relationship between them well enough for fans to like it. I mean, look what they've been doing with this Leon/Ada soap opera for the last fifteen years, no one is interested in that anymore either...

meg5493

I get that. And like I said before, I don't see Capcom ever going in this direction because it makes little sense for their brand. They make horror/action games. And I'm not a fan of Chris or Jill so oddly enough I don't even have a horse in this race. I just don't like the suggestion that turning a platonic friendship into romance is cheap and degrading. It sends the wrong message in so many ways - relationships based on friendship above sexual gratification and passion/desire are far more likely to be successful and stable.
Sorry if I'm just repeating what you say I'm a little dead right now, but yeah I get what your saying but different relationships for different people I guess.

meg5493

What tragedy? There is no tragedy in my head canon... *innocent whistling*

As for Chris and Jill... I guess most regular users here already know my opinion on them as a pairing, but here are some quick thoughts: Those two are already fixated enough on each other as it is. Revelations 1, the first game to actually star them together, was a disaster in the characters department, with both Chris and Jill being dull as hell for not thinking about anything but each other, and them being in an official relationship would make things even worse. Is that what Valenfielders want? I don't think so, and I agree with whoever said (sorry, I lost track) that Capcom couldn't handle a relationship between them well enough for fans to like it. I mean, look what they've been doing with this Leon/Ada soap opera for the last fifteen years, no one is interested in that anymore either...

No matter what anyone says this is still the cutest moment between Chris and Jill platonic or romantic and Capcom can never top it
The-ending-of-the-original-Resident-Evil-on-the-PSX-3.jpg

67-gameover25.jpg

I mean, look what they've been doing with this Leon/Ada soap opera for the last fifteen years, no one is interested in that anymore either...
tumblr_inline_nhmnm6LqU61t3lpra.gif

One-Winged Angel

Cecil "There is sorrow in those wintery eyes..."
I like Leon and Claire.Dunno I just found them cute together,they're close friends but the way they trust each other and the whole seeing them teamed up is just adorable.
Other couple would be Chris and Jill.They're old partners and have gotten through such horrific situations and I can't help but love the such care they show for one another.
Other ships:
Chris x Boulder(I think that's the only canon one ,oh no need to ask xD)
Ada x Wesker
Piers x Sherry
Rebecca x Chris
Chris x Wesker
I know some are weird but still...xD

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
I must admit... I don't really know why so many people suddenly oppose the Chris/Jill relationship now as I don't think that would cheapen their relationship. In fact Jill would really benefit from that, considering Capcom has been treating her like trash in recent years.

Many aren't Jill fans, but for someone who has put a lot of emotional investment into her character I can definitely tell ever since Capcom (Pretty much every game after RE5) since they started to oppose Valenfield, Jill has become dull and boring and I don't even know what's the whole purpose of her character for the entire series anymore and I'm certain we won't be seeing her anymore.

I think a relationship between Chris and Jill could work, but you have to be a goddamn-good writer and you'd have to deepen their relationship like Idk let us see Chris and Jill how they interact outside the mission, cuz it is possible both might interact differently then during mission. I'd take to rename Capcom to Bioware to pull off such a stunt. Then again this will never happen, but let's face it Capcom doesn't have the best story writers in the world in the first place. Though I'd like to see them having a romance, cuz we hardly ever see an "equal" couple like them, meaning that it's not your stereotypical and overused badass guy/cute girl pairing (like Chris/Rebecca would be), but a pairing where the woman is on par with the guy in terms of badassery and so on. For me sudden removal of Jill in RE6 or not even mentioning her felt more unnatural then anything else, considering the story of RE5, but Capcom doesn't give a flying f*ck about consistency anyways.

I'm not a fan of (overused) cliches and stereotypes, but since RE is a japanese game, and the japanese audience has to be the most stagnant audience in the world as they seemingly never get bored of their own overused tropes and cliches, I'm pretty sure Chris/Jill will never, simply because Jill isn't considered to be a "waifu" type of woman.

Just my two cents

PS. CHRISKER FOR LIFE xD

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
Deathstroke just prefers a more platonic friendship

Thats pretty much it. It´s just my preference. Maybe I am also tired of the Hollywood cliche that the main male and female characters fall in love in the end. Sure Chris and Jill COULD fall in love and based on their many years of friendship it could be a very strong relationship. Knowing Capcom we´ll never know lol. But it´s just not something I personally want to see. I value them exactly the way they are and just like them much better as friends that love each other platonically. Kind of like if you´re going to a movie with your friends wife or something. Just a good friendship without any thoughts of romance behind it. I like to imagine Chris getting a girlfriend and maybe Jill finding someone too (I´d prefer her old lover to return but it can also be someone new) and the four of them going out for drinks and having fun. I see Chris and Jill more as family and love to think that both Chris and Claire see her as a sister (On that note I just want to see Claire and Jill finally together on screen already!)

As for Ada and Leon - that´s a whole different beast. As I said thats Batman and Catwoman. and if you know Batman and Catwoman (who have even sex with their masks on) and their relationship you know exactly what I mean. Thats that kind of relationship where you meet someone and although you don´t know them well and you can´t even really trust them the sparks are flying like crazy. There is pure electricity between those two in every scene. as a couple - yeah they are my favorite. Will they ever have a deep and lasting relationship ? probably not. I don´t see marriage or kids there down the road. But what I see is endless fire. I don´t know, I get intensely excited everytime they are on screen together. I can just really taste those sparks between them. And people like me are living proof that Ada and Leon still strike a cord and that some still care very much about them. And if someday I am the last one to feel that way, then that´s fine with me too. I don´t see a "married and granchildren" kind of future for them (Ada is just too much of a firecracker for that, but maybe she´ll calm down and settle down one day who knows?^^) but I don´t see that between Batman and Catwoman either. and their fiery relationship is still awesome. But really, next time Ada and Leon meet they should just get a hotel room and release all that they have bottled up over the years already. then we´ll see how it goes from there but seriously thats just long overdue. Longest foreplay ever lol

meg5493

Thats pretty much it. It´s just my preference. Maybe I am also tired of the Hollywood cliche that the main male and female characters fall in love in the end. Sure Chris and Jill COULD fall in love and based on their many years of friendship it could be a very strong relationship. Knowing Capcom we´ll never know lol. But it´s just not something I personally want to see. I value them exactly the way they are and just like them much better as friends that love each other platonically. Kind of like if you´re going to a movie with your friends wife or something. Just a good friendship without any thoughts of romance behind it. I like to imagine Chris getting a girlfriend and maybe Jill finding someone too (I´d prefer her old lover to return but it can also be someone new) and the four of them going out for drinks and having fun. I see Chris and Jill more as family and love to think that both Chris and Claire see her as a sister (On that note I just want to see Claire and Jill finally together on screen already!)
I could totally see them as the kind of friends that go on double dates and having a blast. Man though Claire has gotten the short end of the stick in the series, I'm surprised they even mentioned her in 6 like at all. A game with Claire and Jill could be really cool though!!

I must admit... I don't really know why so many people suddenly oppose the Chris/Jill relationship now as I don't think that would cheapen their relationship. In fact Jill would really benefit from that, considering Capcom has been treating her like trash in recent years.

Many aren't Jill fans, but for someone who has put a lot of emotional investment into her character I can definitely tell ever since Capcom (Pretty much every game after RE5) since they started to oppose Valenfield, Jill has become dull and boring and I don't even know what's the whole purpose of her character for the entire series anymore and I'm certain we won't be seeing her anymore.

I think a relationship between Chris and Jill could work, but you have to be a goddamn-good writer and you'd have to deepen their relationship like Idk let us see Chris and Jill how they interact outside the mission, cuz it is possible both might interact differently then during mission. I'd take to rename Capcom to Bioware to pull off such a stunt. Then again this will never happen, but let's face it Capcom doesn't have the best story writers in the world in the first place. Though I'd like to see them having a romance, cuz we hardly ever see an "equal" couple like them, meaning that it's not your stereotypical and overused badass guy/cute girl pairing (like Chris/Rebecca would be), but a pairing where the woman is on par with the guy in terms of badassery and so on. For me sudden removal of Jill in RE6 or not even mentioning her felt more unnatural then anything else, considering the story of RE5, but Capcom doesn't give a flying f*ck about consistency anyways.

I'm not a fan of (overused) cliches and stereotypes, but since RE is a japanese game, and the japanese audience has to be the most stagnant audience in the world as they seemingly never get bored of their own overused tropes and cliches, I'm pretty sure Chris/Jill will never, simply because Jill isn't considered to be a "waifu" type of woman.

Just my two cents

PS. CHRISKER FOR LIFE xD
God 6s story for Chris was so confusing because of how we spent all that time in 5 going after Jill and Chris rediscovering his will to live. Like in Revelations Chris goes missing for like 5 minutes and Jill throws together the swat team but in 6 Chris has been missing for like what 6 months? and Jill just suddenly doesn't or Claire for that matter who broke into umbrella hq to find out where her missing brother went?!! But yeah I don't think Capcom will do romance for any of their characters mainly because they wouldn't be able to do it justice for the fans and most of the writing in the series is ehhhh

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
And once again @bSTAR_182 understands the TRUE love story of the Resident Evil universe.

Just doing my civic duty; converting one forum member at a time.

6830735e-f8ef-413a-9574-ff2406c6f362_zpsswtewisq.jpg

EDIT:

My whole stray from the Jill/Chris pairing is that it is more of a cliché to pair those two up. Superman and Superwoman...? Yawn. I like the whole "opposites attract" concept.

Is it possible? Sure it is; it's as plausible as the possible rape concept between Wesker and Chris. But I just don't find it that entertaining and also there has yet to be anything significant that takes place between Chris and Jill for me to say that it is absolute (i.e. like Leon/Ada and Jake/Sherry). Right now one can argue that they have a sibling bond and that is all; in that line of work you need to be close with your partners/teammates. And in some cases that field of work calls for risking/giving your life for theirs (as we have witnessed in EVERY SINGLE GAME of this series).

Frankly though Chris was in worse shape after he lost his team in RE6 than how we saw him in the beginning of RE5 (when Jill was presumed dead).

.... but carry on for those who want to support it- I'm just stating why I'm not on board of the Jill/Chris ship.

I do like the idea of the Piers/Claire though- Nivanfield!

Jake and Sherry is probably my second favorite couple in the series though.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
No, you're not. ;) Perhaps you noticed that I used to have an Alex-themed profile (picture + signature) some time ago, and then I changed it to Ava Paige. That was not a coincidence.

I remember that, yes. I definitely thought you seen the connection but I had to be sure that I wasn't the only one :p
I couldn't even find a similar opinion on Google or any other RE fanbase I go to. So you're the first *hi-5*

Just doing my civic duty; converting one forum member at a time.

6830735e-f8ef-413a-9574-ff2406c6f362_zpsswtewisq.jpg

Oh ****! Shots fired! This got me good!

Reactions: Hel

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
God 6s story for Chris was so confusing because of how we spent all that time in 5 going after Jill and Chris rediscovering his will to live. Like in Revelations Chris goes missing for like 5 minutes and Jill throws together the swat team but in 6 Chris has been missing for like what 6 months? and Jill just suddenly doesn't or Claire for that matter who broke into umbrella hq to find out where her missing brother went?!! But yeah I don't think Capcom will do romance for any of their characters mainly because they wouldn't be able to do it justice for the fans and most of the writing in the series is ehhhh

I too felt that it was incredibly odd (and have actually pointed this out many times to my friends) that neither Jill nor Claire were looking for Chris when he went AWOL after Edonia. Or that Jills entire existence is completely ignored in the game. Why didn´t she go with Chris to China? Her mail to Barry in Revelations 2 implies that she fully plans to return to field work after her rehabilitation is complete. And by the time RE 6 takes place (about 4 years after RE 5) she should have been fully recovered and back in the field again. So why was she not in Edonia or China?

I came up with a few reasonable explanations. She and Claire probably WERE looking for Chris, they just were not the ones who found him. and maybe Chris (although amnesiac at the time) met with both of them afterwards and before he headed to China. I also like to imagine that it was Jill in the helicopter who saved Chris after he resurfaced from the ocean. Claire does talk with Piers over phone at the end of Revelations 2, asking how Chris is and asking Piers to look after him on an upcoming mission (which was probably right before China).

Which leaves the question why Jill was not in China. I think it´s because she was needed elsewhere. Much like Chris was elevated to the rank of captain after RE 5 its more then likely that Jill was too and therefore had her own squad as well (and thus could no longer be Chris ´partner). So maybe she was leading her own squad in another mission while Chris headed to China and thus could not be at his side. of course it would have been much easier if that would have been stated in the game somehow instead of just ignoring Jill completely.

However I am not one of the fans who dislikes Capcoms writing of the series. I love the story and especially love how the characters matured over the years and moved on to new things and phases in their lives. I love the whole backstory about Spencer and the Wesker project they did and how they evolved it into a global war on Bioterror. And I am not in the slightest disappointed by the characterizations. The characters and story is one of the main things (if not the main thing) that I love RE so much and unlike many other fans who believe that RE has gone off the rails with story and characters in recent games, I love what they have done with it. Particular the Revelations games were amazing and had some really ambitious and wonderfully complex writing in my opinion and I loved their storylines and I loved the RE 5 story and the reveal of the past and Spencers true plans and how Weskers and Jills story tied back all the way to the classic games and how it changed the viewpoint of the RE story. It was bold and made everything feel connected and I loved that.

I also liked the intricate story of RE 6 (where you really had to dig into the files and background to fully get the scope of it) with the Family and Carla (who reminded me a great deal of Alexia ashford) and how each of the characters fit into that. I thought Chris had a fantastic story in RE 6, better then in any of the other games he was in as he wasn´t just the shiny hero this time but he really had a great arc where he was really broken down by the game and how he almost lost himself to revenge and became so dark and had to deal with the survivors guilt and all of that. It was incredibly rich for an RE game, something we never saw with Chris before where it dealt with him also on a psychological level. I really loved that and have been loving the entire saga and story so far even though of course there are things that some of the games did not get right. But I love RE, I love the Saga and I love how it has been expanded and evolved over the years and how the characters changed over the years. Its one of my fav things about RE.

Even though I know I am in the minority with that and many other fans dislike the writing and story in the latter games. I do not. I can´t wait to see what happens next and love that they went from simplistic b-horror to epic horror blockbuster. I love change and evolution like that and that RE is not only one thing or one style, repeating itself over and over. I like the versatility.

meg5493

I too felt that it was incredibly odd (and have actually pointed this out many times to my friends) that neither Jill nor Claire were looking for Chris when he went AWOL after Edonia. Or that Jills entire existence is completely ignored in the game. Why didn´t she go with Chris to China? Her mail to Barry in Revelations 2 implies that she fully plans to return to field work after her rehabilitation is complete. And by the time RE 6 takes place (about 4 years after RE 5) she should have been fully recovered and back in the field again. So why was she not in Edonia or China?

I came up with a few reasonable explanations. She and Claire probably WERE looking for Chris, they just were not the ones who found him. and maybe Chris (although amnesiac at the time) met with both of them afterwards and before he headed to China. I also like to imagine that it was Jill in the helicopter who saved Chris after he resurfaced from the ocean. Claire does talk with Piers over phone at the end of Revelations 2, asking how Chris is and asking Piers to look after him on an upcoming mission (which was probably right before China).

Which leaves the question why Jill was not in China. I think it´s because she was needed elsewhere. Much like Chris was elevated to the rank of captain after RE 5 its more then likely that Jill was too and therefore had her own squad as well (and thus could no longer be Chris ´partner). So maybe she was leading her own squad in another mission while Chris headed to China and thus could not be at his side. of course it would have been much easier if that would have been stated in the game somehow instead of just ignoring Jill completely.

However I am not one of the fans who dislikes Capcoms writing of the series. I love the story and especially love how the characters matured over the years and moved on to new things and phases in their lives. I love the whole backstory about Spencer and the Wesker project they did and how they evolved it into a global war on Bioterror. And I am not in the slightest disappointed by the characterizations. The characters and story is one of the main things (if not the main thing) that I love RE so much and unlike many other fans who believe that RE has gone off the rails with story and characters in recent games, I love what they have done with it. Particular the Revelations games were amazing and had some really ambitious and wonderfully complex writing in my opinion and I loved their storylines and I loved the RE 5 story and the reveal of the past and Spencers true plans and how Weskers and Jills story tied back all the way to the classic games and how it changed the viewpoint of the RE story. It was bold and made everything feel connected and I loved that.

I also liked the intricate story of RE 6 (where you really had to dig into the files and background to fully get the scope of it) with the Family and Carla (who reminded me a great deal of Alexia ashford) and how each of the characters fit into that. I thought Chris had a fantastic story in RE 6, better then in any of the other games he was in as he wasn´t just the shiny hero this time but he really had a great arc where he was really broken down by the game and how he almost lost himself to revenge and became so dark and had to deal with the survivors guilt and all of that. It was incredibly rich for an RE game, something we never saw with Chris before where it dealt with him also on a psychological level. I really loved that and have been loving the entire saga and story so far even though of course there are things that some of the games did not get right. But I love RE, I love the Saga and I love how it has been expanded and evolved over the years and how the characters changed over the years. Its one of my fav things about RE.

Even though I know I am in the minority with that and many other fans dislike the writing and story in the latter games. I do not. I can´t wait to see what happens next and love that they went from simplistic b-horror to epic horror blockbuster. I love change and evolution like that and that RE is not only one thing or one style, repeating itself over and over. I like the versatility.
Yeah the phone call with Claire takes place shortly after the whole thing in Leons campaign. When it comes to REs writing its weird because its no where near as good as the old silent hill games. But I guess you could say its improved though I prefer the simplistic RE plots

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
Yeah the phone call with Claire takes place shortly after the whole thing in Leons campaign. When it comes to REs writing its weird because its no where near as good as the old silent hill games. But I guess you could say its improved though I prefer the simplistic RE plots

Why would that make it "weird" ? personally I cannot stand Silent Hill. The characters from those games don´t nearly appeal to me even remotely like the RE characters do. as for RE, I am the opposite. as an old school horror and Romero fan I loved the old b-horror scenarios but I am definitely more drawn towards the more epic and complex bioterror war stories of the latter games.

meg5493

Why would that make it "weird" ? personally I cannot stand Silent Hill. The characters from those games don´t nearly appeal to me even remotely like the RE characters do. as for RE, I am the opposite. as an old school horror and Romero fan I loved the old b-horror scenarios but I am definitely more drawn towards the more epic and complex bioterror war stories of the latter games.
Lol I'm the opposite where most of my favorite games have deep or moving symbolic plots I just like how one track minded the older games I mostly just have problems with 6s canon and its weird how much has changed with RE's overall canon comparing something like 2 to 6 or Revelations 2.

Top Bottom