• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Which Character/s shouldn't be in Re7?

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I have looked, can't find an English version anywhere. Interesting about Piers though.

I am glad Capcom chose to keep Chris alive, it makes his story all the more tragic that he's the sole survivor, and I think Capcom saw how cliched it would be for Chris to sacrifice himself.

They always plan for a protagonist to die (really, in all the games there's a scrapped ending where the protagonist dies) and never go through with it.

You should be able to find them in any book store like Chapters. I can find them pretty much every where here. You could try online? It'll certainly help you understand those characters better. To be honest I don't think Chris's death would have been cheapened. I think it would have been strong and emotional, and it may have even played out differently as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he does die at some point. A heroes death. I don't know why but.... I can see it happening over the course of the next couple games.

Wait a protagonist was going to die in every game? Whaaat? Can you give me some examples please :p I'd like to hear this. I was only aware of RE6, and that is only in theory. A theory that is pretty much backed by nothing else but the source material. Foreshadowed by the games and manga, despite the manga being released after. I only know of two RE games where a main playable Protagonists dies.

Unknown

Wait a protagonist was going to die in every game? Whaaat? Can you give me some examples please :p I'd like to hear this. I was only aware of RE6, and that is only in theory. A theory that is pretty much backed by nothing else but the source material. Foreshadowed by the games and manga, despite the manga being released after. I only know of two RE games where a main playable Protagonists dies.

Yes, excluding 1, each RE game had a beta storyline where the protagonist or one of the main characters would have died. In RECV for example, Leon was originally going to fill Steve's role, and die. In RE4, Leon was going to be infected and die at the end. There was a subplot in RE5 where Jill could die.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
It was a bit different in 6, as it wasn't the sight of his comrades dying that changed him, it was a combined effect of the guilt (because unlike his previous comrades, Chris took responsibility for this younger team) and the head injury he received.
Oh, I didn't know about that. That explains why that scene was shot so dramatically. Okay I guess that makes more sense now.

I definitely agree that Jill needs to be brought back stat, but honestly, maybe having Chris everywhere isn't such a bad thing. I mean, I like his character more with each new installment. It's no secret that RE has been historically pretty awful with having 3 dimensional characters. Maybe if they keep Chris around for long enough, they'll have enough opportunity to truly flesh out his character. I'd take one character with a personality over a bunch with none. Obviously I'm not suggesting that RE should just be one giant Chris-fest for the rest of time, but being able to focus on a character for longer does seem to be helping RE to finally get some personality into (at least one of) its characters.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Yes, excluding 1, each RE game had a beta storyline where the protagonist or one of the main characters would have died. In RECV for example, Leon was originally going to fill Steve's role, and die. In RE4, Leon was going to be infected and die at the end. There was a subplot in RE5 where Jill could die.

Where did you get your information? I never heard anything about Jill actually going to die in RE5 or Leon being in CVX (this could be true). As for Leon in one of the earlier RE4 builds. There is no way to tell. They just showed him in the castle all sick. The story was to reveal the secrets of the progenitor virus, at least according to the trailers. In the final release he suffers a similar fate and gets infected with the Plagas. He falls down in a similar manner when he passes out and he later get it removed. While you could be right. I haven't seen anything that suggests that it would have been much different. It was rumored that Leon was going to uncover the secret and possibly end the series.

meg5493

I definitely get what you're saying, and I remember finding this strange too as I played 6. I'm glad they finally gave Chris some genuine personality and character flaws, but it didn't really make sense to me. He had been through many situations in which his comrades had died in front of him prior to the events of 6, yet only seemed to be affected by Edonia.

I'm choosing to remain optimistic for the future though. And I really would actually like if they started to pass the torch more to newer, younger characters and wean us off the older ones. Chris turns 46 this year for crying out loud.
All I ask for is Chris not being angry and depressed for an entire and actually ****ing joking around and being charismatic with his partner; he's getting too old for this ****.

meg5493

I think RE7 will be awesome. That's just me and I thought I'd mention it :p

That being said. I loved Chris's change to become more human and less like a comic book hero. I guess that's how I viewed him. I never liked him until RE6 to be very honest with you. I LOVED RE5 but he could have, in my opinion, been more dynamic. Either way there is one thing I can say. The fact that you found it heartbreaking to see Chris in the situation that he endured in RE6 tells me one thing. You were deeply touched and Capcom succeeded. Say what you will about that :p

When it came to Chris's team dying I felt bad for that one recruit who was clearly the green cadet I just liked him even if i knew he was gonna die; Piers death didn't really faze idk why I was super sad for Steve's death and I hated Steve so maybe by 6 I was used to partners getting infected and trying to save you. I wouldn't mind Chris's evolution as a more human character if he had more than 3 emotions Code Veronica was nice and thats probably my favorite rendition of Chris just this cocky young older brother trying to save his lil' sister and take down an evil corporation. And for all my bitching about RE im gonna get super psyched when those first RE7 trailers hit the web even if i eventually get disappointed theres always RE2 REmake to look forward to

Unknown

Where did you get your information? I never heard anything about Jill actually going to die in RE5 or Leon being in CVX (this could be true). As for Leon in one of the earlier RE4 builds. There is no way to tell. They just showed him in the castle all sick. The story was to reveal the secrets of the progenitor virus, at least according to the trailers. In the final release he suffers a similar fate and gets infected with the Plagas. He falls down in a similar manner when he passes out and he later get it removed. While you could be right. I haven't seen anything that suggests that it would have been much different. It was rumored that Leon was going to uncover the secret and possibly end the series.

The subplot with Jill dying was when RE5 was a single player game, I have the official artbook in which the director of the game confirms this. Leon being in CVX and dying in RE4 was something I learned through developer interviews I read a while ago (it may have been by Project Umbrella but I can't be sure) CVX was orignally called RE3 as well. Chris and Claire were also going to be in RE4 towards the end and you're right, it was going to end the series.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
When it came to Chris's team dying I felt bad for that one recruit who was clearly the green cadet I just liked him even if i knew he was gonna die; Piers death didn't really faze idk why I was super sad for Steve's death and I hated Steve so maybe by 6 I was used to partners getting infected and trying to save you. I wouldn't mind Chris's evolution as a more human character if he had more than 3 emotions Code Veronica was nice and thats probably my favorite rendition of Chris just this cocky young older brother trying to save his lil' sister and take down an evil corporation. And for all my bitching about RE im gonna get super psyched when those first RE7 trailers hit the web even if i eventually get disappointed theres always RE2 REmake to look forward to

I can understand what you're saying. You should read The Marhawa Desire. It adds a lot to both Chris's character and to a great extent Pier's character. It backs up what I was saying and shows you who Pier's was and why he was the way he was in RE6. It really made RE6 a better game and damnit Chris's story was the best! I don't care what people say or what the gameplay was like. His story was great and very human. It's the game that made me like Chris as a character. He was always my least favorite because he was to static for my liking.

I also have faith for RE7. I don't know why. But I have this feeling that it's going to be one of the best in the series. I get the feeling it's going to be the next RE4.

The subplot with Jill dying was when RE5 was a single player game, I have the official artbook in which the director of the game confirms this. Leon being in CVX and dying in RE4 was something I learned through developer interviews I read a while ago (it may have been by Project Umbrella but I can't be sure) CVX was orignally called RE3 as well. Chris and Claire were also going to be in RE4 towards the end and you're right, it was going to end the series.

Interesting. I heard, and from the art I've seen (I haven't seen that art book) that Jill was going to be the leader of the BSAA (Chris is a lone wolf) and play a big role. It didn't sound like she was going to die and Sheva almost did. Then again that's what, one build of how many? Also Barry was apparently going to be in the game and be Chris's partner at parts.

I can see Leon dying at the end of RE4 as he figured the secret out and saved the world. Apparently the game was supposed to end the series. What a bang if he died in the end.

I can't find anything regarding Leon originally being in CVX. I tried looking it up. He was the one that e-mailed Chris though. Could you find me a source? I knew it was originally supposed to be RE3 and RE3 was supposed on it's own. Almost an expansion to RE2 in a way. It was called RE3 to be consistent with Playstation.
As for Chris and Claire in RE4. I've followed the builds and couldn't find anything on that. I know that Tony Redmane and his twin brother Paul were the son's of Lord Spencer. This later became Devil May Cry. http://www.the-horror.com/forums/showthread.php?1172-Resident-Evil-3-5/page7

devilmaycry_conceptart_XkA6g.jpg

meg5493

I can understand what you're saying. You should read The Marhawa Desire. It adds a lot to both Chris's character and to a great extent Pier's character. It backs up what I was saying and shows you who Pier's was and why he was the way he was in RE6. It really made RE6 a better game and damnit Chris's story was the best! I don't care what people say or what the gameplay was like. His story was great and very human. It's the game that made me like Chris as a character. He was always my least favorite because he was to static for my liking.

I also have faith for RE7. I don't know why. But I have this feeling that it's going to be one of the best in the series. I get the feeling it's going to be the next RE4.

I've been meaning to read the manga but I've been on the fence and mostly hoping and waiting they translate the Claire manga so I can jump in to see how good RE translates to manga/comic form. I guess to really get down to it, is that Piers is just (atleast to me ) a more modern day young Chris so I understand the whole passing the torch to a younger generation vibe going on in Chris's story, he's to old for this **** but the fan in me wants Chris to keep doing this until Capcom finally wants to stab me in the heart with Chris's painful and heartbreaking death.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
I love Chris but he needs a break and go on a vocation with his sister Claire because he's been through ton of S***.

Leon needs a break too (was cool in RE2 but I find him bland in RE4 and RE6)

I want to see Jill and Rebecca team up and maybe Carlos and Billy.

And maybe in a future game make Leon and Kevin work together.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I've been meaning to read the manga but I've been on the fence and mostly hoping and waiting they translate the Claire manga so I can jump in to see how good RE translates to manga/comic form. I guess to really get down to it, is that Piers is just (atleast to me ) a more modern day young Chris so I understand the whole passing the torch to a younger generation vibe going on in Chris's story, he's to old for this **** but the fan in me wants Chris to keep doing this until Capcom finally wants to stab me in the heart with Chris's painful and heartbreaking death.

There is a manga that stars Claire. It's called "Heavenly Island". Unfortunately it's not in English. I had it on pre-order and then they called to say they couldn't get it and it's only in French.... and I still haven't gotten that (I can't read French but I can translate it xD) I'm ****ed because it takes place on the Island off the coast of Brazil that is mentioned in RE5.

meg5493

There is a manga that stars Claire. It's called "Heavenly Island". Unfortunately it's not in English. I had it on pre-order and then they called to say they couldn't get it and it's only in French.... and I still haven't gotten that (I can't read French but I can translate it xD) I'm ****ed because it takes place on the Island off the coast of Brazil that is mentioned in RE5.
D: I really want Claires manga she looks so bad ass in it and I love anything RE has with Claire in it!!

Airaku

Stray Jedi
D: I really want Claires manga she looks so bad ass in it and I love anything RE has with Claire in it!!

Claire was pretty bad ass in RE2. The manga sounds really stupid, but I think it'll be good to be honest. It's about a tv reality idol show that takes place on an old WWII island that obviously Spencer owned. Then a zombie escapes Alex's old facility and people get bitten. From what I heard, Alex isn't mentioned be we know it's for sure her island that was mentioned in RE5.

meg5493

Claire was pretty bad ass in RE2. The manga sounds really stupid, but I think it'll be good to be honest. It's about a tv reality idol show that takes place on an old WWII island that obviously Spencer owned. Then a zombie escapes Alex's old facility and people get bitten. From what I heard, Alex isn't mentioned be we know it's for sure her island that was mentioned in RE5.
Resident evils always been stupid but as long as there's zombies and horrible mutated creatures about I'll be there with my wallet in hand

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Resident evils always been stupid but as long as there's zombies and horrible mutated creatures about I'll be there with my wallet in hand

Screw the zombies. They are boing, generic, and offer no challenge really. I love the other B.O.W's though. I think the series is great and the story is getting really deep. Both RE6 and Revelations 2 were steps in the right direction in that matter. RE5 was good as well.

RE6 with all it's flaws. Was a good story, despite how stupid the Carla thing was.

meg5493

Screw the zombies. They are boing, generic, and offer no challenge really. I love the other B.O.W's though. I think the series is great and the story is getting really deep. Both RE6 and Revelations 2 were steps in the right direction in that matter. RE5 was good as well.

RE6 with all it's flaws. Was a good story, despite how stupid the Carla thing was.
I've never really cared for the story much as it usually was only skin deep for like most of the series I enjoy the monsters and situations that are thrown at you and if its actually scary then that's a plus! 6 was kiiiiiinda stupid and the whole Carla thing was one of them but B.O.W's are fantastic always love them

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I've never really cared for the story much as it usually was only skin deep for like most of the series I enjoy the monsters and situations that are thrown at you and if its actually scary then that's a plus! 6 was kiiiiiinda stupid and the whole Carla thing was one of them but B.O.W's are fantastic always love them

I guess. I think Resident Evil has one of the deepest and best plots in gaming. The problem is it's told in multiple ways. Cutscenes, documents, and visual. It's a lot for most to take in because most games will only do 1 or 2 of those as a form of story telling.

meg5493

I guess. I think Resident Evil has one of the deepest and best plots in gaming. The problem is it's told in multiple ways. Cutscenes, documents, and visual. It's a lot for most to take in because most games will only do 1 or 2 of those as a form of story telling.
Man a few years back after 5 came out I know the plot all the way down to the original S.T.A.R.S members names by heart. The series has gotten a little more convoluted as it continues like I could've lived with out Wesker spazzing out in 5 but RE's ridiculous story will always have a place in my heart.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Man a few years back after 5 came out I know the plot all the way down to the original S.T.A.R.S members names by heart. The series has gotten a little more convoluted as it continues like I could've lived with out Wesker spazzing out in 5 but RE's ridiculous story will always have a place in my heart.

Yeah RE5 had him out of character a little. Oh well. I really like the more complex storylines. I find them interesting and I really don't have a problem following them as some do. I quite prefer them.

meg5493

Yeah RE5 had him out of character a little. Oh well. I really like the more complex storylines. I find them interesting and I really don't have a problem following them as some do. I quite prefer them.
I think its just weird for me to get used to a more dynamic storytelling in RE , I'm used to the more isolated stories with 1-4 and it surprised me just how much people on this forum really like the approach capcom is going with the story for more current RE titles

Top Bottom