• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Where the hell was the horror elements in RE5??

Rebecca Chambers

After replaying Resident Evil 2 & 3 I was instantly drawn into it. :D

Resident Evil 3 offered horror elements which were vastly better than that of RE5. I would get ready to point my gun as soon as I opened another door. The music when your in the Police Station makes a bang which made me jump. The chracters surrounding were dark with dead bodies scattered throughout. The groans of zombies comming around the corner.

Now comparing this to Resident Evil 5 and every time I fail to find RE5 scary...AT ALL. I mean the music is an obvious give away that there are enemies and is not scary. The enemies shout which is just a giveaway that they are there. The game is set in daylight and the enviroments are never that dark. Now that I look at it im pretty disapointed by RE5. :sleep:

What are your opinions? Can ANYONE tell me whats scary about Resident Evil 5? :confused:

-(PSN) ItsNikki

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I think it was that the person who made the Resident Evil games left to go work on differnet games besides RE. I can't remeber his name and I can't remeber if that is what I read on wikipedia. But I am sure that is why it wasen't scary.

Rebecca Chambers

BIGHARD CHEATER;61276 said:
I think it was that the person who made the Resident Evil games left to go work on differnet games besides RE. I can't remeber his name and I can't remeber if that is what I read on wikipedia. But I am sure that is why it wasen't scary.

I know but it couldn't have been that hard to put in something scary or at least hire someone else who has made very successful horror games after all the whole Resident Evil series was built to be a survival/HORROR (Something which RE5 failed to take into consideration).

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
Well, another thing on why it possilbe wasen't scary was probably because it was to be scary to the main characters or for little children.

I think that the only scary thing in the game was probably that maniac voice of the chainsaw majini, the majini himself isn't scary, but listening to a s*xual predator's voice who is out to get me with a chainsaw is just a tad bit scary.

QUADRAXIS

RE5 scary?Not at all.That's the reason why i really don't like this game.Where is the athmosfere,where is all that moments when you start thinking what's might hiden behind the corner?.Action set only in daylight?Rubbish!RE is walking stright to the action,leaving sense of this game i a skip.This is the mark of times,ladys &gentelmens.Feel angry...

Rebecca Chambers

QUADRAXIS;61319 said:
RE5 scary?Not at all.That's the reason why i really don't like this game.Where is the athmosfere,where is all that moments when you start thinking what's might hiden behind the corner?.Action set only in daylight?Rubbish!RE is walking stright to the action,leaving sense of this game i a skip.This is the mark of times,ladys &gentelmens.Feel angry...

I totally agree. I felt the game was littered with more comedy such as when your on the moutain side when you knocked on the door of the portable toilet and then it bursts open. I was like lol, lol, lol, lol...you get my point haha

-ItsNikki (PSN)

Elochai

Tiger Army Never Dies!
Premium
Yeah, I agree with you all. Don't get me wrong, though! I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It just wasn't scary. Period. It was more stressful than anything. And that was only because you didn't know if Sheva was going to be smart enough to shoot at a distance or runaway. Gah, horrible AI.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
It has horror elements to it, it just wasn't scary like previous games (though neither was RE4). The fact that there are monstrous creatures and zombie-like people that you have to fight against is what makes it a survival-horror game.

There are definitely eerie areas in the game and I will argue that those bastard chainsaw guys will freak me out to no end (especially in Mercenaries)!

A lot of people complain that the series has become more action oriented but, IMO, it was a long time coming; especially after playing Resident Evil 3. I played that game after RE4 and RE5 and I completely understood how RE4 and RE5 were the way they were with the newer systems.

QUADRAXIS

STAR_738;61344 said:
It has horror elementsto it, it just wasn't scary like previous games (though neither was RE4). The fact that there are monstrous creatures and zombie-like people that you have to fight against is what makes it a survival-horror game.

There are definitely eerie areas in the game but definitely nothing like the first few games- I have to admit. Though I will argue that those bastard chainsaw guys will freak me out to no end!

A lot of people complain that the series has become more action oriented but, IMO, it was a long time coming; especially after playing Resident Evil 3. I played that game after RE4 and RE5 and I completely understood how RE4 and RE5 were the way they were with the newer systems.

Fine,you right.This game is going to be action game with horror elements.I used to played almost all "Resi"games except both Outbreaks,and after all RE5 simply boring me pal!I remember my first contact with RE4.That was quiet shocking.Action&action&action donky puzzles:huh:.But,in the same time RE4 still have that something...Few locations are really breathtalking(cementary after dark,that wee jail ina basement full of Novigators or lake after big fight with that...fish).RE5?Nothing...So sad.
Imagine,mix between RE4 and let say REmake that's what I'm dreaming about(probably not only myself).But no,what for!Just look at my muscle man!You see my partner she's...hey what's your name.Sheva ya punk!Yeah!Sheva man.She's got huuuge gun!and oh man what a bum...Man!And now honey, let's kill couple of monsters just like that for a change!So sad,cute but sad.Is any horror game left?Silent Hll!Killing joke!:lol:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Ummm... Que?
eusa_shifty.gif

We Are Ninja

I thought it was scary, but in an entirely different way than the previous games. IMO, this was more the 28 Days Later school of horror; the baddies don't just go bump in the dark; they're human-esque, stark-raving insane, and they chase you down in broad daylight.

The previous games induced fear, RE5 sought to instill tension. And with plentiful, fast moving enemies and "just enough" bullets, it succeeded, IMO.

teal27

I liked it. :huh:

I think Capcom was just trying to mix it up a little, because, let's face it, gamers are picky.

If they had kept all their games exactly the same each time, with exactly the same amount of horror, crap-your-pants-moments, lack of ammo, blah blah blah, sooner or later gamers would start complaining that THAT was getting old too.

So I just assume they went pro-active with RE5 and tried to change things a little, making it more of a scary action game instead of pure horror.

Personally, I really like this, because I'm not into horror. I can see how this would bug more die-hard fans of RE's usual formula, but as for me RE5 is one of the best PS3 games I own and anyone who has me as a friend on PSN knows it's just about the only thing I play regularly. :)

DedValve

Err, IMHO RE5 sucked.

It was nothing more than a recycled, lazy, watered down version of RE4 and the reason that there was no "horror" in this game was because in this day and age, the games that really sell are the ones with action in them.

Besides a horror game would require work and time. Both of these qualities are severely lacking in the RE5 development team.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I agree with We are Ninja about RE5 giving off a lot of tension to the player. Nicely said.

DedValve;61417 said:
Besides a horror game would require work and time. Both of these qualities are severely lacking in the RE5 development team.

Work and time lacking? Really? Sure the game wasn't as scary as the REmake but damn. To say that hard work and time wasn't put into the development of RE5 is just... wrong.

teal27

^ I agree. I can't even begin to imagine the work and time it took just to craft character models, let alone animate them. And that's just one teensy aspect of a game that requires loads of other components in order to be playable, all things that I found RE5 not only contained but excelled at.

Now if everything played as if you were on roller skates and you were only allowed three different weapons and Chris was reduced to Lego detail, (*insert chagrined "MEEP!" here*) perhaps then I'd share that notion. :p

Chris-BSAA

i was getting bored of all those semi-scary dark enviroments. I think the levels in full daylight gave the REserie an Great twist!

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Not to mention that RE5 wasn't the first game to take place in the daylight, with RE4, RE3 and well I am unsure about Code Veronica, but the snowy area sure looked pretty light.:)

We Are Ninja made a good point, it is a different kind of scary, but then again were previous games that scary, I felt the same kind of fear in RE5 as previous games, the tension of knowing you are going to die, avoiding a creature(Reaper) that is about to come over and 'one hit kill' you was similar to running down a street trying to avoid Nemesis.

In any case, one thing that was lacking in RE5, was having something pop out for a quick scare, but if that is what makes it horror, then maybe we should rethink horror films like Psycho and Silence Of The Lambs...

As for the gameplay, while some complain it is too much like an action shooter, I disagree. The gameplay in RE5(or at least the classic scheme, where you aim with R) is really enjoyable, and I think nearly perfected.

You could even look at the gameplay as a reflection of the character's experience. Just think of all that someone like Chris has learned in 10 years of fighting Bio-weapons...

Look at how he would fight an enemy in RE1 compared to RE5. In RE1 he would use maybe a dozen bullets(especially in the REmake, as those zombies were damn tough to kill) and possibly lose some health, and it wasn't even worth fighting msot of the time, so you would probably just run around it.

In RE5 Chris will be able to shoot them in head or leg, then go up and punch them, kick them on the ground, etc.

That is just one positive way of looking at the gameplay in RE5. Although it isn't all great, not when you are pitted up againts several majini with AK-74's...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I agree with those who said that RE 5 has a different element of fear. It's not scary in the traditional way the Resident Evil series has been frightening. I don't think I'd classify it as 'survival horror'. I do agree that RE 5 in particular is more of an action game, but I still found it enjoyable.

Anyway - I just think RE 5 lacks the tension that all the previous games had to varying degrees. I think RE has made a trademark out of it's dark environments, fixed cameras, and especially (IMO) the quiet atmosphere. Almost all the RE's are very quiet, and your character is alone for the majority of the game. For me, it's that sense of isolation and solemnity that contributes a great deal to the horror of the first games. There's no one to save you from anything, whereas you're only alone in RE 5 for a couple minutes max.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
The only real horror element it was lacking was having something pop out for that 'cheap scare', which would have been nice if they had it, but I feel that the same tension fear exists. Like having a chainsaw Majini swining his chainsaw right in your face, and having to maneuver just right to avoid it. Or having the same thing happen when being clustered among a bunch of enemies...

The one thing I can't deny is how having someone with you the entire time, really deterred from the overall experience. The co-op worked well, in Mercs maybe, but being forced to play the entire story with Sheva was unnecessary.:(

I think having it in the daylight was a point that Capcom was trying to make, and not to mention that it isn't the only game to take place during the day, the beginnings of RE3 & RE4, as well as the Antartic part of Code Veroncia.

Top Bottom