• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was your GOTY of 2013, and what games are you looking forward to?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The only new games I played this year were RE6, Revelations and Tomb Raider, but the former two were originally released in 2012 (just not on PC), so that basically leaves Tomb Raider as my only choice. But even if I had every game I played in the last five years to choose from, chances are my pick would still be Tomb Raider. No matter what the haters say, it's a great game in almost every way I can think of a game to be great, and even though I'm very much looking forward to RE7, I'm even more interested in the Tomb Raider successor that will definitely come.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
My Game of the Year was Shadow Warrior all the way. That game is the one reboot that got everything right.
Can't get tired of this trailer :)

My other favorite games were:
-Blood Dragon
-Metal Gear Rising
-Metro Last Light
-Rise of the Triad
-Outlast

Worst games were:
-Aliens Colonial Marines
-Tomb Raider
-DmC Devil May Cry
-Beyond Two Souls
-God of War Ascension
-Dead Space 3
Would have added GTA5 to the list, but it was more disappointing than bad.

The games I'm looking forward to most in 2014 are:
- Duke Nukem Ascender (not official name)
- Metal Gear Solid 5/Ground Zeros
- Bayonetta 2
- Mad Max
- The Evil Within
- Maybe Titanfall

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I thought it would be fun to post a top ten. So here it is! It's sort of in order. :lol:

1. Killzone Mercenary
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus
4. Deadpool
5. Tomb Raider
6. Soul Sacrifice
7. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
8. Saints Row IV
9. Injustice: Gods Among Us
10. Lego Marvel Super Heros. The Last of us.

Something like this anyway. :lol:
Hey, you made a mistake on the end. Don't worry, I fixed it!

AgentZero

I never finished The Last of Us because I didn't like it. :tongue:
:cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross:
LLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meg

So bin ich eben
:cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross:
LLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:
TTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

AgentZero

:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:
TTTTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
You are here by FIRED! from this forum. Please pack your sarcasm, and LEAVE!

Reactions: Meg

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I just started playing The Last of Us, and I like it a lot. And I really, really like Pokemon Y. (psst, It's my first pokemon game)

So my GOTY is a tie between the Last of Us and Pokemon Y.

I am looking forward to The Evil Within, Mad Max, Final Fantasy XV, Dying Light.
Edit: Also The Sims 4. Totally forgot about that.

Wake up Ne0

BSAA Mercenary
Probably Battlefield 4 on PC.

Im most looking forward to::::
The Division
Dark Souls II
Dying Light
Titanfall

out of those four, I am most excited to play Dark Souls II,. and on my gaming PC as well, it should run like a beast.

Already have Day Z standalone- came out end of last yr, i would say thats the game of the year by far but its very early access so I am looking forward to seeing it develop. Its the best zombie apocalypse game of all time in my opinion.

Refan128

The Last Of Us is my Game Of The Year. WWE 2K14, GTAV, Tomb Raider and Gears Of War Judgment were good contenders. I haven't really gotten into BioShock Infinite (not a bad game I just don't play it much). I am looking forward to Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes and The Last Of Us DLC.

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
My overall GoTY goes to the Last of Us. Critics often complain that many games lack a well rounded, carefully crafted narrative. TLOU is a masterpiece in terms of just the story. It keeps you on your guard for every second that you play. The scene with the giraffe was mesmerizing. While Ellie is certainly symbolic of some form of innocence (the fact that she is one of the last children to a certain extent) and using a plot device to elicit joy (like the joke book) is a well used trope, to use a symbol of evolution as an agent for joy was masterful.

The graphics push the PS3 to the absolute limits and pulls off so many feats: the lighting creates fear, the shadows promote alertness and the character models are just too damn convincing.

For multiplayer, I'd have to say that Battlefield 4 on the PS4 wins this hands down. I have so many memories from games already that I just can't be away from it for too long. the class system has definitely been improved and the maps are frightening. A dam collapsing? A skyscraper toppling? A city flooding? My word.

Meg

So bin ich eben
I forgot to say what games I'm looking forward to. :confused:

I have quite a few that I'm interested in, but the big ones are:

Dark Souls II
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Persona 5
South Park: The Stick of Truth

:grin:

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
GOTY is tough. There were many great ones.

Injustice - Gods among us was an awesome fighting game for a DC fan like me and had a very cinematic story mode. It felt like playing an animated DC feature film. And it had almost all my favorite DC characters (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Deathstroke, Doomsday, Joker, Batgirl etc.) and they were all incredibly faithfully adapted. I´ll never get tired of beating up Green Arrow in his Arrow outfit 8from the TV series) with Deathstroke or pummeling Doomsday or Zod with Superman wearing his outfit from Man of Steel. It was geek heaven really. A great game.

Batman Arkham Origins was also an AWESOME game. The story and presentation was probably the best superhero adaptation in gaming history and Troy Baker as the Joker was just the most awesome games character of 2013 by a long shot. the game was a bit inferior to Arkham City in terms of gameplay and felt a bit less fluid but it was still one of my absolute highlights of 2013.

Resident Evil Revelations was amazing too. Since I vividly dislike handhelds, I never got a chance to play the game in 2012. back in 2009 when I played Lost in Nightmares for the first time I really loved how this blended the modern gameplay with old school horror (plus Jill!!) and I said to a friend "Wouldnt it be awesome if Capcom would make a whole game like this?" Then they did but only released it on 3DS and I was beyond ****ed. But last year I finally got to experience it and while it didnt feel as fluid and precise as RE 6 or Lost in Nightmares (thanks to its handheld origins) in terms of gameplay or graphics, the game was still an absolute blast and it positively scared me and creeped me out in ways that RE hadnt done since the REmake. It also was a lot tougher than RE 5 or 6, especially some of the bossfights drove me nuts. And that new Infernal mode is officially the first difficulty mode on a RE that I just cant beat. believe me I tried with all the best and most upgraded weapons etc. but the enemies are so insanely tough and the whole thing is just literally the most extreme case of survival horror I have ever experienced. capcom went insane on this one. The only thing I really have to complain about besides the not so fluid gameplay is the lack of infinite ammo. I always loved it that you could go through the game again for fun and could earn infinite ammo for some (RE 4) or all (RE 5 and 6) weapons. And that would certainly help in Infernal mode. Still Revelations was a great game and pretty much like I had imagined a whole game in that style of modern gameplay and old school horror. If they can now take that concept, improve and refine the gameplay a bit more like it was on LIN then that would definitely be the perfect RE for the new generation.

My surprise of the year however was Tomb Raider. I must admit I avoided the game for months because I am a longtime Fan of the classic Lara Croft, who loves the classic TR Trilogy by Crystal Dynamics (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) and after seeing Laras new design and character as well as hearing that the gameplay was more 3rd person shooter ala Gears of War now, I was utterly disappointed and refused to give this even a try. However after the game was praised as being the best TR since the Original and when it was on sale for 20 euro on PSN, I decided to give it a try - and I have to admit that I was dead wrong. Because the game is absolutely amazing (Cant believe I am saying this lol). Yes its a different Lara and it definitely took some time to get used to her but now she feels just really natural. And the game just nails it. The open world of that island and using a bow actually made me feel like I was playing a game adaptation of the TV series Arrow haha. The gameplay is truly extraordinary and feels like a blend of classic TR and RE 5. Its very fluid and nearly flawlessly executed and the graphics and presentation are really the best the entire series ever had. I became addicted to this game and didnt stop until I completed absolutely everything there is on single player mode. Too bad they had to add that stupid and boring multiplayer mode too - that prevented me from getting platinum trophy for this game. Still I have to admit that game really is THE surprise of 2013 for me.

So which one of those is my GOTY? Its really really hard to pick one. But from the gameplay fun and amount of consecutive playing I would say the title goes the one game, that I never thought I would even like - Tomb Raider.

However I´d like to add that I still havent played the immensely praised Last of Us yet (waiting for a price drop), who according to many many many players is one of the greatest games ever made. So once I get around to play it , it might as well take Tomb Raiders place as my GOTY. For now however Lara sits on the throne of 2013.

As for this year - while I am eagerly awaiting Mikamis new game Evil Within, my most anticpated games this year (and thats an easy pick for me) are Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. As I stated on my introduction post, Final Fantasy is my most favorite gaming franchise of all time and always will be. Its the most cinematic, epic and emotional I have ever experienced. Therefore I am really looking forward to the conclusion of the FF XIII-saga (I know many hate on XIII but while I do have some issues with the games as well and criticise them in some aspects I definitely enjoyed them too).

But my most anticipated game this year, or well of the last decade really is FF X/X-2 HD. I experienced FF X in 2002 for the first time and no game has ever moved, affected and blown me away as much as this one. Its been my most favorite game of all time ever since and I also really enjoyed the sequel for what it was and as a great expansion of X´s mythology.

And now there will be a HD version with completely remastered graphics (including new textures, new character models, new lighting etc.), new music arrangements, completely revamped interface, all the content of the international versions (much of this was japan-exclusive until now and therefore I never got to play it) and a bonus 30 minute audio drama with the original voice actors which reportedly sets up another FF X sequel - HOLY ****

On top of that I will finally get to experience the games for the first time without Pal-bars, slow down and with english screen texts. Since I only own a PS3, I havent played FF X and X-2 in years.

So this HD remaster is something that I have waited for for the last 12 years - an absolute dream come true for me. The reviews of the japanese version so far are absolutely stellar (I expected no less) and I am counting the days until I will finally get to play it myself and can finally re-enter my most beloved gaming world of all time - looking more splendid then ever.

So yeah that is DEFINITELY and without the slightest doubt my Gaming Highlight 2014. Thats also why I couldnt care less about PS4 right now. In fact I wont get a PS4 until at least 2015. Because thats when Final Fantasy XV (and probably also the next RE) will hit ;)

Hoady

It would be Mortal Kombat as it was released here in Australia in 2013. The only official 2013 game i played was GTA V for like 10 minutes so can't give it to that.

This year i'm really looking forward to Nintendo mascots:
1.Super Smash Bros
2.Mario Kart
3.The Evil Within(xbox 360)

Will see how other Nintendo games develop.

Last edited:

dark_zero

I'm looking forward to kingdom hearts 2.5 remix I bought 1.5 remix on october and just love the kingdom heart franchise, I already beat bbs but looking forward to replaying it on the big screen.

Top Bottom