• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What causes are important to you? :)

VP-70

The Confucius of ReNews...Cheers KK.
Good, because if Brazil looses that they really have nothing...And Brazil RULES!
Nearly forgot.. It is Brazil, probably the place i'll retire to in my old age, plus i'm a huge football fan, so your football doesn't get any better than Brazil, sunshine and babes lol.

The WWF is something i also help out, as they also do alot for Land development and preservation.

For me personally, Nature is the foundation of everything, without it we're goosed, so that is why it takes up the top 3 spots in my charity.

Brazil and Argentina then move up to Mexico were my top 3 places to visit when i was to travel the Southern America's.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Nearly forgot.. It is Brazil, probably the place i'll retire to in my old age, plus i'm a huge football fan, so your football doesn't get any better than Brazil, sunshine and babes lol.
Seeing a Brazil football game is one of my must do's before I die...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Occupational health and safety is also something that I've been developing a strong interest in since working in the Ministry of Labour a few years ago. In the United States, more people died in their workplaces in 2010 than died during the entire war War in Iraq and I don't feel that people really think about workplace health and safety hazards as a particularly important issue when it probably should be. Think of everything a family stands to lose when the individual making the living wage is killed on the job...

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Me? I'm of no use. Causes that are important to me are the right to carry arms, the right to use snowmobile and abolish tax on property and wealth. It becomes clear that I'm a terrible person when I compare this to the other posts here. :(
When I said that, I was thinking about a cause as something you keep doing or caring about on a regular basis or all the time. I am not doing anything on a regular basis that is worth mentioning, but I do of course care about cancer research, the Red Cross and countless of "good causes", but I don't mention them because it is a bit random which of them I support and when I do it. So I completely forgot that I have actually done something good that is worth mentioning!

I gave 1 year of my life in an effort to stop the war in former Yugoslavia, and like all other soldiers I was willing to risk my own life doing it. I enlisted the NATO forces because I wanted to do something good that really mattered, and because I wanted an extremely high-risk adventure. It was well paid but I did not care about that at all, I would have done it for free. You also learn a lot about people that no education can teach you.

So I am not a terrible person after all! :)

I also support the Salvation Army with money, it's not something I do often but maybe every Christmas is often enough to mention here. They use the money to give food to poor people. It is never a good time to not afford food, but Christmas is the worst time.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I have a question to put out there - one of my TAs had asked it a couple years ago in a philosophy tutorial and it garnered some pretty interesting/controversial responses. He had said that walking by a food donation bank and not donating any money was equivalent to walking by a drowning child and not bothering to help. A number of students cited the fact that a good portion of the money they donate goes to corrupt governments, and not the actual people who are hungry (for instance, the 'We are the World' thing Michael Jackson did was criticized for this). This was allegedly a deterant for donating. What do you guys think? Would you donate $5 to provide food aid to needy countries if the government of that country or some other organization takes $3 of it?

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
It can be a tricky one because on the one hand people generally speaking like to donate to charity, but then again what if the charity you are donating to does not actually get the stuff to the people but rather it has to be filtered via the government first?

It's unfair to say that all charities end up either taking the majority of the money or give it to corrupt governments because a good number of them don't do this. Yes, some are charities which seem to benefit greatly from donations (in which case I'd have to question their not-for-profit status) but there are many out there which, whilst they do accept financial donations, either cite what the donations are specifically for - including admin costs where applicable - or else the money goes towards initiatives like the one in Africa which helps farmers learn how to grow their crops more effectively even during drought and times of famine so that they can continue to feed their families by utilising a 3-step programme which is proven to work since 1984.

Personally I'd say do your homework before donating - don't feel pressured to give to everyone who comes begging. Find causes that you not only feel are worthy to support but that have an ethos which stands up to your particular benchmark when it comes to how they handle their business. If you aided every bleeding heart campaign out there, you'd be the one needing charity eventually.

If you are not sure that a charity is giving the money to the wrong people then it's almost a certainty that there are at least two or three other charities out there that serve the same area or need and don't misrepresent themselves or give the money to the government. One cancer charity has suspect management of funds? There's about a billion others out there - take your pick. Food donation banks in particular should, by definition, be asking the community primarily for food, not money. Yes these things cost money to set up but that's what grants and trusts are for. If donating money is a problem, I'd ask what practical needs other than fiscal I can help with. If it's baby clothes or food or nappies or electrical goods...whatever it is, a charity won't turn away a useful donation. By law, all charities MUST provide financial records which can be viewed by the public - if it really is that important to someone to know exactly where their donation is going, they can find out by using the registered charity number and looking up the records. If a charity does not have the required number (however it works in your particular country) then I'd personally not give them the time of day unless I knew people involved such as when people set up fundraising via somewhere like Just Giving or similar.

EDIT: Organisations that provide food abroad and therefore require funds tend to be, on the whole, able to get the money directly to the people in question through established contacts within the country, hence bypassing the need to go through the government at all. Specifically in places like Kenya where the recent famine was so severe people were dropping like flies - our church is part of the Newfrontiers network and because we have connections with people out there we are able to donate regularly to help with the feeding effort. We got in touch with someone in our church network over there, they got in touch with neighbouring villages, word spread and the government didn't need to be involved.

tl;dr - if there were no other possible alternative then I probably would but as that's rarely ever the case, then no.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
If I donate to a local charity I don't need to worry if some corrupt government take a piece of it. And I do trust that the Salvation Army and the Red Cross don't spend an unfair amount of it to administration. They also get money from the state to cover at least some of their administration costs, but in other countries such organizations perhaps don't get any public funding.

Food donation banks in particular should, by definition, be asking the community primarily for food, not money
They may ask for, and receive both. In the case with the Salvation Army, I believe they do get free food and cheap food from local stores, and they use collected money to add to that because they do not get all they need for free.

AusyAndy

GLBT-related issues, RSPCA & animal welfare, and homelessness, are the most important causes to me, but I've never been in a position to be able to do much to help.

It can hard to find any decent (and well-known) charities to give to, actually knowing where and who the money is going to (or if at all), or what other things (churches, organisations) the charity is involved with (like if you do some research and find out they happen to be involved with a church or organisation that likes to campaign against GLBTs, or other issues, etc. I mean, you don't want to donate to a charity that do intentional damage in other areas). So I'll donate to small-time charities that I know and I can actually see how they're helping, or be involved more than just handing over some money, not so much the big faceless organisations.

ChrisRedfield1994

Potato Lobber
My mum and I are supporting this charity now, that aims to raise awareness of deep vein thrombosis/blood clots as well as aid those suffering through it, called Lifeblood. I was shown the website by someone on Twitter and it's remarkably true.

Every year in the UK, around 25,000 people a year die because of a DVT caused by surgery. Many of these people don't even know what a DVT is until it's too late. It is a very scary thing to have as there is not a single substantial symptom of the problem. For instance, I suffered from fevers of around 102-103 yet the doctors at a hospital I was rushed to said it was pneumonia. My foot, too, was scrutinised by my physiotherapist. He said it was blue, along with my entire right leg, because I wasn't moving around enough after a severe knee injury I suffered. Even the excruciating pain I felt in my chest as the clot entered my heart and traveled to the lung was blamed on my subsiding asthma.

To think that the governments of the UK and America are trying to get people active to combat obesity (which is EXTREMELY minor compared to a DVT) when there are hundreds of thousands of people that have a DVT and just don't know it. It's ridiculous that a 40stone person can get travel insurance when I, only 13 stone (I somehow lost over 3 stone in just under 3 weeks) and have a DVT and pulmonary embolism get rejected by many of the insurance companies!

Hell, half of the statistic in the second paragraph didn't know what a DVT is. Because my mum was in cardiology and suffers from the same problem (a clot traveled through her heart and into her brain, yet suffers with a solidified leg due to the clots) I was lucky. The surgeon who sorted my knee out has practically saved me. He sent me for a CT of my chest because he didn't like the fact I still had a severe pain in my lung. I wouldn't be here if he didn't send me for that scan.

Scarily enough, there are some of us (my mum, grandmother and I are in this group) that posses a gene that causes susceptibility to clotting known as Factor V Leiden. This prevents heart attacks when the clot moves through the heart, and even prevents major strokes when a clot travels to the brain, instead reducing it to a minor stroke. Yet we have to live with the fact that we will be on blood thinners for the rest of our lives. I can tell you now, after a week of being on warfarin, it is a horrible drug to be forced to take.

Hence why we are supporting them. I don't like how a morbidly obese slacker (sorry to any offended, but I say it as I see it) gets treatment to save their life yet an illness as severe as mine can go unnoticed because the doctors aren't bothered with symptoms that follow other illnesses or because they don't know anywhere enough about DVTs and PE. It's sickening and downright scary.

Hoady

I support The Zeitgeist Movement and Venus Project which has become an extremely fast growing grass roots movement. Simply defined we recognize that all people live on one single planet, with finite resources. The current system we are using is depleting everything at the fastest possible rate with no concern to environmental or social devestation. Eventually we are going to come to a halt as the primary necessities of life and materials will disappear. The problems of the world aren't economical, political or genetic, they are technical.

The method, technology and intellectual know how is all totally possible. For example we can feed, clothe and give everybody a high standard of living. It is technically ridiculously easy. The problem is we have many artificial barriers from achieving that method.

Well besides feminism lol, the American Cancer Society. I have lost so many loved ones due to cancer that I feel it would be wrong of me NOT to support them. I don't ever participate in relays but I always try my best to make it to the Relay for Life every year.

My grandad caught cancer of the throat recently, although he is fine now i hope he does not resort to chemo or drugs. I'm sorry to hear that. If you haven't heard of it i think it would be very worth looking up The Gerson Miracle on youtube..very enlightening.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Pretty much everything people mention
Though i don't show my emotion for any cause whatsoever i do care and help people
I've lost way to many loved ones to these things
This may be a bit late and all but seeing this triggered my thoughts about the whole ''helping hands'' people are doing

letmelive311

Nature Conservancy, WWF, Red Cross, and Invisible Children are the main organizations I support and actually volunteer with when I can.

But everyday we make a vote on what we support. Since this environment is important to me be keeping it clean and its animals safe, I vote with my shopping choices. I went green four years back. Whenever I can I buy recycled material products, carry around an eco bottle, eating organic etc. by choosing these things your telling these organizations/ companies you support them and what the BIG picture is, and for all those other companies that just are burning our ozone layer, and dirtying the oceans, killing our animals by ignorant means, will force them to change if they become un popular.

Anyone else starting to go green?

L

Lurker
Didn't I make an entire thread, and say several (million) times that feminism is about equality between all the sexes? It's about gaining equality for men, women, and people who are both/neither. Try actually reading and remembering my posts more often and you'll start to get what it is with me and feminism. :p Although, I stated it in this thread as a joke.

And I got a kiss from Mr. Romero! :oops:
Subtracting 100 from your posts for it being a while ago, 3,685,721 divided by 763 is you mentioning feminism at least 4831 times per post. And that's being nice on the several million times. It's likely a bigger number.

Meg

So bin ich eben
Subtracting 100 from your posts for it being a while ago, 3,685,721 divided by 763 is you mentioning feminism at least 4831 times per post. And that's being nice on the several million times. It's likely a bigger number.
What was the point of you replying to something that was posted months ago? Especially considering all you had to say was some horrible come back that I guess was supposed to be witty or make you sound cool? Or at least make me sound like an idiot? Because all you managed to do with this post is make yourself look like a jackass.

But then again, I must look at an even bigger ass for bothering to respond to such a poorly put together post. I mean, what are you even trying to say here? That I talk about feminism a lot? When was the last time I mentioned it? Oh wait, I think it was in May. Wow. That's horrible. Especially considering the number of times I mention it as a joke: that you seemed to miss. (Like this thread for instance.) Oh well. You've successfully made us both look like idiots.

Congrats?

L

Lurker
What was the point of you replying to something that was posted months ago? Especially considering all you had to say was some horrible come back that I guess was supposed to be witty or make you sound cool? Or at least make me sound like an idiot? Because all you managed to do with this post is make yourself look like a jackass.

But then again, I must look at an even bigger ass for bothering to respond to such a poorly put together post. I mean, what are you even trying to say here? That I talk about feminism a lot? When was the last time I mentioned it? Oh wait, I think it was in May. Wow. That's horrible. Especially considering the number of times I mention it as a joke: that you seemed to miss. (Like this thread for instance.) Oh well. You've successfully made us both look like idiots.

Congrats?
I was thinking about how to respond to that post for several months. I apologize if it was overdue.

VP-70

And so the cattiness of REN continues..

I'm not surprised to hear and see of old regulars dropping this forum like a bad habit.

Place has turned into a trolls tavern.

L

Lurker
And so the cattiness of REN continues..

I'm not surprised to hear and see of old regulars dropping this forum like a bad habit.

Place has turned into a trolls tavern.
Well, the most active board here is off topic. Mainly a social group that has one thing in common.

VP-70

Well, the most active board here is off topic. Mainly a social group that has one thing in common.
lol...

I'm not saying a word.

The floor... as they say in show business...

Is alllll yours.

Top Bottom