• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unpopular Opinions

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
My unpopular opinions:
  • Chris > Leon
  • Wesker is gay for Chris :wink:
  • Over the shoulder > fixed cameras > first person
  • I love the action direction for RE4-RE6 (but the series’ story did suffer from a lot of poorly executed decisions/concepts)

This all checks out to me.

My own headcanon is that Wesker and Krauser had a fling too, and all that loyalty from Krauser in RE4 wasn't strictly business

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member

My own headcanon is that Wesker and Krauser had a fling too, and all that loyalty from Krauser in RE4 wasn't strictly business

Yasss, I thought the same thing about him and Krauser!

There's dialogue riddled throughout the series that made it seem as though he was frustrated that Chris wouldn't side with him (mostly in RE1 original/remake and RE5). Perhaps I'm hearing what I want to hear but the whole concept adds more depth to him as a character/villain.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Between Blue Umbrella and Jake, I think Jake is the more intriguing storyline of the two.

It’s true, Jake is an ass pull in an attempt to give fans some form of Albert Wesker, but I honestly liked him as a character. It’s hard for me to not love Troy Baker’s work and I can see where there is some compelling storytelling for his character. I’m a broken record but RE6 suffered the most from Capcom feeling the need to focus heavily on the Co-op for the main story. The arrangement of the characters ruined the flow of what could have been a story with a better setup.

I think the potential for Jake came and went with RE6. I don't think co-op was necessarily an issue with the story, my problem was the cast of characters and how they were utilized. Helena, Piers, and Jake all have no reason to exist, but if they were to tell a meaningful story about a new character, they could have done so with Jake.

I can't stress it enough, but Resident Evil 6 would have been a much stronger game with only 2 campaigns, with a secret Ada campaign pushing it but still being acceptable as an unlockable reward. Leon and Sherry and Chris and Jake would have been much more meaningful pairings. Two veterans looking after the offsprings of their former enemies.

Not only would we finally catch up on what's been going on with Sherry, but they could have filled some gaps by exploring Leon and Sherry's relationship through the years, with Leon even taking on more of a protective fatherly role.

Chris and Jake on the other hand would be interesting purely because of the 2 differing personalities and strictly business relationship. They would be 2 guys forced to rely on eachother for survival and the greater good, with tensions boiling until the cap explodes with the big Wesker reveal. But ultimately, you want to see them make amends like grown adults, for Jake's sake, as he remained unlikable with his bratty manchild behavior just to force a half assed rivalry.

There's so much more long term development and overall better storytelling potential this way. And the campaign crossover moments could have been so much better with these 4 characters than the mess we ended up getting. Not to mention, being able to play as both Leon and Chris against the Ustanak would have been amazing. We don't need pointless subplots like Chris having amnesia and Helena wanting revenge convoluting the story.

Yasss, I thought the same thing about him and Krauser!

There's dialogue riddled throughout the series that made it seem as though he was frustrated that Chris wouldn't side with him (mostly in RE1 original/remake and RE5). Perhaps I'm hearing what I want to hear but the whole concept adds more depth to him as a character/villain.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I think the potential for Jake came and went with RE6. I don't think co-op was necessarily an issue with the story, my problem was the cast of characters and how they were utilized. Helena, Piers, and Jake all have no reason to exist, but if they were to tell a meaningful story about a new character, they could have done so with Jake.

I can't stress it enough, but Resident Evil 6 would have been a much stronger game with only 2 campaigns, with a secret Ada campaign pushing it but still being acceptable as an unlockable reward. Leon and Sherry and Chris and Jake would have been much more meaningful pairings. Two veterans looking after the offsprings of their former enemies.

Not only would we finally catch up on what's been going on with Sherry, but they could have filled some gaps by exploring Leon and Sherry's relationship through the years, with Leon even taking on more of a protective fatherly role.

Chris and Jake on the other hand would be interesting purely because of the 2 differing personalities and strictly business relationship. They would be 2 guys forced to rely on eachother for survival and the greater good, with tensions boiling until the cap explodes with the big Wesker reveal. But ultimately, you want to see them make amends like grown adults, for Jake's sake, as he remained unlikable with his bratty manchild behavior just to force a half assed rivalry.

There's so much more long term development and overall better storytelling potential this way. And the campaign crossover moments could have been so much better with these 4 characters than the mess we ended up getting. Not to mention, being able to play as both Leon and Chris against the Ustanak would have been amazing. We don't need pointless subplots like Chris having amnesia and Helena wanting revenge convoluting the story.

I do love your thoughts on RE6. That would have been 1000xs better than the product we got.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

Totally agree
I think it's also a waste that there was not even a crossover moment between Chris and leon fighting togheter, there was only the chasing part, but the two never actually meet during that gameplay part

At first i think they were going to kept the moment for some future game but nope they wasted the moment in a bad cgi movie

Last edited by a moderator:

mert20004

The only thing ı didnt like about re6's story personally was the game not mentioning jill, not even in the files unlike claire where even though she doesnt appear in the game similar to jill; she's mentioned multiple times, her influence can be seen on sherry and she even plays an indirect role for snapping chris from his blind pursuit for carla along with leon and piers. ( Claire met chris and leon to each other after the events of degeneration according to re6 files and they have good amount of respect to each other. )

I'm not bothered that much that she doesnt appear in the game, she was most likely in rehab during the events of re6 since wesker experimented on her for like 3-4 years and re6 takes place in 2012-2013 so ı think that's why she doesnt appear during re6's events. But still a few mentions would have been cool ı think. She's only really mentioned in one of rerev2's files.

Though ı think she definitely could have appeared in heavenly island, vendetta or re7. For some reason; in heavenly island, parker from rerev appears but not jill who was partnered with him in that game not to mention that manga is a sequel to re5 and rerev games. For vendetta; ı think she and barry could appear and help leon, chris and rebecca's adventures not to mention leon feels forced to that movie even though ı liked him and felt bad for the guy. And for re7; ı'm quite not sure why the devs wanted chris again since he already appeared in re5 and re6, ı think ı would cared about the game more if jill appeared in the game and the game explored her.

But anyways; other than jill not getting mentioned in re6; ı dont think ı have any criticisms about the game's story. I think it's great / well-written and ı overall really liked it.

Oh and one last thing; it still bothers me that in re2 remake, the scenarios dont connect to each other at all unlike in re6 where 4 campaigns connect to each other very well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

The only thing ı didnt like about re6's story personally was the game not mentioning jill, not even in the files unlike claire where even though she doesnt appear in the game similar to jill; she's mentioned multiple times, her influence can be seen on sherry and she even plays an indirect role for snapping chris from his blind pursuit for carla along with leon and piers. ( Claire met chris and leon to each other after the events of degeneration according to re6 files and they have good amount of respect to each other. )

I'm not bothered that much that she doesnt appear in the game, she was most likely in rehab during the events of re6 since wesker experimented on her for like 3-4 years and re6 takes place in 2012-2013 so ı think that's why she doesnt appear during re6's events. But still a few mentions would have been cool ı think. She's only really mentioned in one of rerev2's files.

Though ı think she definitely could have appeared in heavenly island, vendetta or re7. For some reason; in heavenly island, parker from rerev appears but not jill who was partnered with him in that game not to mention that manga is a sequel to re5 and rerev games. For vendetta; ı think she and barry could appear and help leon, chris and rebecca's adventures not to mention leon feels forced to that movie even though ı liked him and felt bad for the guy. And for re7; ı'm quite not sure why the devs wanted chris again since he already appeared in re5 and re6, ı think ı would cared about the game more if jill appeared in the game and the game explored her.

But anyways; other than jill not getting mentioned in re6; ı dont think ı have any criticisms about the game's story. I think it's great / well-written and ı overall really liked it.

Oh and one last thing; it still bothers me that in re2 remake, the scenarios dont connect to each other at all unlike in re6 where 4 campaigns connect to each other very well.
Resident evil 6 and revelations 1 were developed at the same time, that probably why they didn't mentioned Jill in re 6 because they were in a sense denied it since she was having her own game...

I also remember right now that they were denied to talk about cloning and cloning process in re 6 despite the game having clones, since it was a fontamental theme in the resident evil film universe

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Top tier forum weapon.

Krauser has been a wonderful source of amusement among my high school friends and I with his dialogue being more than a little... suggestive? He must have it for Leon, too.
"Which means you're on a tight leash."

How does no one else see it? :lol:

I’m just gonna throw Irving’s name into the mix. Wesker was smooching everyone.

mert20004

Resident evil 6 and revelations 1 were developed at the same time, that probably why they didn't mentioned Jill in re 6 because they were in a sense denied it since she was having her own game...

I also remember right now that they were denied to talk about cloning and cloning process in re 6 despite the game having clones, since it was a fontamental theme in the resident evil film universe
Yeah but rerev is a prequel to re5; ı still think it would have been cool to mention jill in re6 at least.

I think ı know what you're talking about when it comes to " Ada clones " . From what ı've seen somewhere; capcom was apparently planning re2 ada, re4 ada and re6 ada to be completely different characters. One of them was real ada while the other 2 were fake.

Thankfully capcom didnt go with that route and we only have one ada doppelganger which is explained fine in the files instead of multiple " clones " .

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think it is a pretty popular opinion that the two halves don't line up in RE2 Remake. Man, what a frustration to have remade a game so damn well with game play and atmosphere and not have it live up to the story and pacing designed 20 years ago! I will never get over it, but I will move on. haha.

And for the record:

Leon > Chris

Awebb

• Resident Evil 7 is not only a bad RE game, but not a good game overall. There are too many Benny Hill Show moments and being grabbed and talked at in first person. I'd rather see a cut scene than having my immersion broken first person immobilization. I don't find that scary, just annoying. I also absolutely dislike that blank protagonist Ethan. I want my RE characters to be simple heroes with quirks and a personality, not a projection space for myself.
  • Speaking of hide-and-seek, I find the Mr.X mechanics in the RE2 remake really annoying. I'm not sure who thought that a pseudo-permanent stalker that cannot be brought down was somehow "in the DNA of RE".
  • RE6, on the other hand, was not really a bad game, it just had some problems that overshadow all the good parts in hindsight. I remember having a blast playing the game three times with friends in couch-coop and once solo.
  • The live action movies were quite entertaining, only the last one was bad, because it mostly ignored any buildup of the other movies and hastily brought everything to an unceremonious end.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Unpopular Opinion: I really like RE7. I can forgive its flaws because it made the series scary again when RE6 "jumped the shark" as they say. I am on board with the criticisms too, but I just don't care when the game is a marvel of fear.

And I guess another unpopular opinion is that RE games are hard. I do not have the spine to beat these games on hard or without healing items. lol

1995umk3

I only play the RE series because it's another childhood memory of mine from the 90s. And because the RE community is still active.

AutoAim messes me up big time in the first 3 R.E games.

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
I suppose if I had any kind of Unpopular Opinion™ , it would be that Resident Evil isn't really that scary on the whole and the series' transition into action was present as early as the first game and was a gradual process.

Resident Evil 1 - The game predates Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, but it dispelled with the paranormal and psychological elements during development that characterize those other series. Instead it uses a more "grounded" set of enemies, bio-organic weapons. It also ends with blowing up a big boss monster with an RPG and the mansion exploding via a timer.
Resident Evil 2 - The abundance of ammo, which encourages you to unload into zombies and makes it easier to kill most things that cross your path.
Resident Evil 3 - Fluidity of movement improves, you have a dodge function and the ability to quickturn. Auto-aim is also available from the start, no re-release.
CODE Veronica - The word for this game's plot, characters, and action is "anime", a certain kind of over-the-top. Lots of John Woo/Matrix style slow motion, this is where you start getting a lot of B action movie setpieces, and suspension of disbelief is challenged when a resurrected Wesker fights a jolly green Alexia Ashford with fire powers after 15 years of hibernation.

On the opposite end of things, Resident Evil 4 isn't as big a betrayal as some Classic RE fans make it out to be, retains plenty of connections to the previous games as demonstrated here.
Bonus fact: RE4's plot actually shares a similarity to the novel Caliban Cove, which deals with a virus that makes the residents of an isolated village mindless slaves to one man's world-conquering ambition.

Top Bottom