• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village Thoughts and Theories on Resident Evil VILLAGE

D

Deleted member 21244

Can't wait for Resident Evil to turn into The Conjuring or some sh*t. Seems like they just keep taking inspiration from random movies now and just calling it Resident Evil so long it's horror.
Since the first re game the series is takeing inspiration from random movie like terminator, matrix, alien, the village, the Texas chainsaw massacre, Halloween, shining and the list goes on

So this isn't something new at all

Turo602

The King of Kings
Since the first re game the series is takeing inspiration from random movie like terminator, matrix, alien, the village, the Texas chainsaw massacre, Halloween, shining and the list goes on

So this isn't something new at all

I bet you're one of those people who think the first-person perspective "isn't anything new at all" just because you read somewhere that they originally had an idea to make the original game in first-person.

D

Deleted member 21244

I bet you're one of those people who think the first-person perspective "isn't anything new at all" just because you read somewhere that they originally had an idea to make the original game in first-person.
What does it have to do whit the things I posted? XD we were talking about movie inspiration from re series not of first person view XD

Resident evil have always take inspiration from movies
Tyrants like mr x and nemesis are terminator, wesker is neo from matrix, the chainsaw is the one from the Texas chainsaw massacre, the village in re 4 take ispiration from the village and the list goes on
Re 7 and 8 take inspiration from movies too, but i don't see the problem since the series is doing this since 1996 XD

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The movie references paid dividends in RE7. It really added that dose of horror missing in the RE4-RE6 time frame. Sure, some of it was ripped right from well known movies, but it was still scary as hell.

From creator analyses of what we've seen, here are the details we are missing: Chris and his team do break in to Ethan and Mia's home where Chris kills Mia and says he's sorry - then he kidnaps Ethan and drops him off in this village in Romania. Now, we've seen Mia get all sorts of mutilated and survive. Also, this could all be a hallucination from a virus/mold. But I love reading conjecture!

Turo602

The King of Kings
What does it have to do whit the things I posted? XD we were talking about movie inspiration from re series not of first person view XD

Resident evil have always take inspiration from movies
Tyrants like mr x and nemesis are terminator, wesker is neo from matrix, the chainsaw is the one from the Texas chainsaw massacre, the village in re 4 take ispiration from the village and the list goes on
Re 7 and 8 take inspiration from movies too, but i don't see the problem since the series is doing this since 1996 XD

Because it's a false equivalence. You're comparing them getting ideas from films that helped shape the series' identity initially vs them only now stealing the visual language of completely different movies that clash with what's been established. Saying it's no different now just shows a lack of understanding what the series used to be.

D

Deleted member 21244

Because it's a false equivalence. You're comparing them getting ideas from films that helped shape the series' identity initially vs them only now stealing the visual language of completely different movies that clash with what's been established. Saying it's no different now just shows a lack of understanding what the series used to be.
Re 4 already changed the visual language and identity , and he came out in 2004, so the series completely went out of what been established whit the first game from almost 20 years... If I'm going back in 2004 some people would also say that re 4 is nothing like resident evil and it's just stealing element from random movies, but since time have passed, now everyone see those game and it's sequel (re 5 and 6) has part of the franchise... Even revelations 1 and 2 have completely different visual and clash whit what was already established

By you're statement resident evil should only show zombie and raccon city and t virus, well the series it's been evolving since than and the lore is expanding, i don't really see the problem, after 25 years they re just expanding the re lore whit new location, new virus, mold, parasite ecc and whit new character

Last edited by a moderator:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Re 4 already changed the visual language and identity , and he came out in 2004, so the series completely went out of what been established whit the first game from almost 20 years... If I'm going back in 2004 some people would also say that re 4 is nothing like resident evil and it's just stealing element from random movies, but since time have passed, now everyone see those game and it's sequel (re 5 and 6) has part of the franchise... Even revelations 1 and 2 have completely different visual and clash whit wath was already established

By you're statement resident evil should only show zombie and raccon city and t virus, well the series it's been evolving since than and the lore is expanding, i don't really see the problem, after 25 years they re just expanding the re lore whit new location, new virus, mold, parasite ecc and whit new character
I think some people are still leaving in raccon city, can't accept new stuff

Many people had a problem with Resident Evil 4 so using that as an example isn't exactly the best idea because you're only highlighting my problem with the series. Besides, Resident Evil 4 wasn't pretending to be a return to form, so yeah, it was different. That was widely understood, but now people apparently use "horror" as a blanket for everything Resident Evil. But I guess give it enough time and even Resident Evil 4 is considered Resident Evil.

I also find it ironic that you say some people can't accept change for someone who always complains about RE6, which was just following what the series was doing at the time. Guess it hasn't been long enough for you yet.

D

Deleted member 21244

Many people had a problem with Resident Evil 4 so using that as an example isn't exactly the best idea because you're only highlighting my problem with the series. Besides, Resident Evil 4 wasn't pretending to be a return to form, so yeah, it was different. That was widely understood, but now people apparently use "horror" as a blanket for everything Resident Evil. But I guess give it enough time and even Resident Evil 4 is considered Resident Evil.

I also find it ironic that you say some people can't accept change for someone who always complains about RE6, which was just following what the series was doing at the time. Guess it hasn't been long enough for you yet.
Well i complain about re 6 because of its gameplay and poor story that had nothing to do whit resident evil but it was trying to poorly be call of duty in third person, but regarding aestetich, monster and enemy design, location, character design, the game stand, it's really great on those parts but it's hard to call it a re game when you just shoot and kick and there is not even a moment of tensione or fear lol
Despite this i accepted re 6 as part of the franchise as soon as it came out I'm not cutting my vine because of it XD but it's not really a re game and not even a good action game

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Another things I noticed about Chris is that he went to Ethan house alongside other men, this men are wearing balaclava to disguise they're identity, but strangely Chris is the only one whit his face not covered... Why?
I Mean the purpose of the balaclava when you are doing "bad things" is to not reveal your identity and do that things in secret, it s pretty stupid for Chris to show his identity while his man are covered...

It's like the STARS member went to kill someone into an apartment and all are covered except wesker, that's really stupid because the assaulted one will realize that stars are behind it all since wesker is they're captain ...
Or more simply, it's like some gang went to rob a bank, they all wear balaclava except they're leader, police will eventually find out that clan was behind it all

I think that someone is fooling Ethan to think Chris killed his family
It is very plausible. Between Blue Umbrella and Alex Wesker, I'd say Chris is going to have a bunch of people working against him in this game.

PUdxj23.png

You forgot Black Phillip's cameo!

While I agree that Resident Evil has always taken inspiration from other films/medias, I think the teaser for RE8 lacks things that feel familiar with things that feel more like Resident Evil. Visually, there are some interesting looking scenes, but it really doesn't depict anything that we've known from the series especially when things appear to be paranormal. The trailer, shamefully, oozes the atmosphere of vampire and werewolf flicks and if Chris weren't included in the trailer (as well as a quick glimpse of the Blue Umbrella logo) you'd of never known this were a trailer for a Resident Evil game.

I think the theme of werewolves is really pushing this game out of the Resident Evil verse for me. Initially, when I heard there would be werewolves, I figured it would be wolves infected with whatever bioweapon that is going to be utilized in this game. But we literally see a male figure grow hair and teeth like in a classic werewolf movie... to see it in full context could help but from the trailer alone, it puts me off.

But I am beginning to love the "witch" concept for an RE story. It does go along with the fairytale style that can be seen within CVX and Revelations 2. Plus with Alex Wesker's return, I think it is appropriate to play up on this a bit and what better setting than a small village for her to carry on with more of her experimental games. Something to also consider is that Alex literally transferred her mind over to a little girl's body, this is definitely something that falls under more supernatural themes, but Capcom managed to make it work for the game and many fans wanted to see the continuation of her story carried out to its fullest potential. Whether this game will do her story justice though, is another matter. There's a lot that will probably be skipped over with Natalia's storyline and that is something that is aggravating to think. There's a chance to get things right with her story, but Capcom has also taken interesting story concepts in the past and turned them to crap.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

It is very plausible. Between Blue Umbrella and Alex Wesker, I'd say Chris is going to have a bunch of people working against him in this game.

You forgot Black Phillip's cameo!

While I agree that Resident Evil has always taken inspiration from other films/medias, I think the teaser for RE8 lacks things that feel familiar with things that feel more like Resident Evil. Visually, there are some interesting looking scenes, but it really doesn't depict anything that we've known from the series especially when things appear to be paranormal. The trailer, shamefully, oozes the atmosphere of vampire and werewolf flicks and if Chris weren't included in the trailer (as well as a quick glimpse of the Blue Umbrella logo) you'd of never known this were a trailer for a Resident Evil game.

I actually am beginning to love the "witch" concept for an RE story. It goes along with the fairytale style that can be seen within CVX and Revelations 2. And with Alex Wesker's return, I think it is appropriate to play up on this a bit and what better setting than a small village for her to carry on with more of her experimental games. Something to also consider is that Alex literally transferred her mind over to a little girl's body, this is definitely something that falls under more supernatural themes, but Capcom managed to make it work for the game and many fans wanted to see the continuation of her story carried out to its fullest potential. Weather this game will do her story justice though, is another matter. There's a lot that will probably be skipped over with Natalia's storyline and that is something that is aggravating to think. While there's a chance to get things right, Capcom has also taken interesting story concepts in the past and turned them to crap.

Also, I think the theme of werewolves is really pushing this game out of the Resident Evil verse for me. Initially, when I heard there would be werewolves, I figured it would be wolves infected with whatever bioweapon that is going to be utilized in this game. But we literally see a male figure grow hair and teeth like in a classic werewolf movie... to see it in full context could help but from the trailer alone, it puts me off.
Well just imagine that those werewolf transformation is a sort of mutation from a virus, maybe that guy injectied himself whit it before that scene and transformed just like Irving did in re 5 or like Sergei did in re umbrella chronicles or like Steve in code veronica ecc ecc... I personally don't see that much out of universe

You're post had a double script, i think you would like to edit that

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Well just imagine that those werewolf transformation is a sort of mutation from a virus, maybe that guy injectied himself whit it before that scene and transformed just like Irving did in re 5 or like Sergei did in re umbrella chronicles or like Steve in code veronica ecc ecc... I personally don't see that much out of universe

You're post had a double script, i think you would like to edit that

Which is why I said that it could work in full context to the bioweapons being used.

Make no mistake though, there is still the looming issue of first-person gameplay that significantly takes away from these new games feeling like proper Resident Evil installments for many fans and then you add these new themes... its nothing to take lightly or belittle those who aren't sold on this new direction Capcom is going towards.
But the fact that Capcom seems to be focusing the core of RE8's story around some past characters of RE, unlike RE7, makes the game a bit more intriguing for me. Maybe that is the "wrong reason" to follow along with the developments of this game but I truly don't care about the characters from RE7 or any new face they attempt to throw into RE8 for the sake of trying to establish all new heroes. I'm only invested in Chris and the handling of Alex Wesker/Natalia at this time.

D

Deleted member 21244

Which is why I said that it could work in full context to the bioweapons being used.

Make no mistake though, there is still the looming issue of first-person gameplay that significantly takes away from these new games feeling like proper Resident Evil installments for many fans and then you add these new themes... its nothing to take lightly or belittle those who aren't sold on this new direction Capcom is going towards.
But the fact that Capcom seems to be focusing the core of RE8's story around some past characters of RE, unlike RE7, makes the game a bit more intriguing for me. Maybe that is the "wrong reason" to follow along with the developments of this game but I truly don't care about the characters from RE7 or any new face they attempt to throw into RE8 for the sake of trying to establish all new heroes. I'm only invested in Chris and the handling of Alex Wesker/Natalia at this time.
I'm not wanting to belittle, but just trying to let understand how something that re 7 and 8 are bringing on the table are nothing new to the series, even the first person perspective
Survivor game and the chronicles series have first person, even revelation have first person, yet people loved them, but they hate re 7 because first person

Also for me new hero al welcomed, i don't get why we should spend another 20 or more years, maybe reaching resident evil 25 and still having Chris leon ecc it will not only be boring but also nonsensical

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm not wanting to belittle, but just trying to let understand how something that re 7 and 8 are bringing on the table are nothing new to the series, even the first person perspective
Survivor game and the chronicles series have first person, even revelation have first person, yet people loved them, but they hate re 7 because first person

Also for me new hero al welcomed, i don't get why we should spend another 20 or more years, maybe reaching resident evil 25 and still having Chris leon ecc it will not only be boring but also nonsensical

This is exactly why I made that comment earlier... As I've stated before, your argument is a false equivalence, therefore you cannot compare those things to justify RE7 and RE8's direction. You literally named spin-offs, an on-rails game, and made a giant reach with Revelations. Know the difference between the circumstances of those games before comparing it to a mainline series game suddenly going first-person.

Also, the reason people still want to see Chris, Leon, and the rest of the original cast is because Capcom keeps doing sh*t like Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 8. They keep jumping ahead in time and creating new villains and organizations and putting the characters in one off scenarios that have nothing to do with their previous appearance. Had Capcom actually come up with a solid story that would ultimately wrap up the characters of the series in a satisfying or natural way, there wouldn't be a need to keep requesting them back. They had a chance to conclude the series with RE4 and RE5 and they botched it. Capcom is the only one to blame for how people are reacting to their sh*tty decisions that favor appeasing their corporation rather than their fanbase.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Well @Turo602 beat me to some of the points I wanted to make about the first-person POV and returning past characters.

That desire to see the characters we love get better treatment and closure is something many of us still want. Also, the fact that we have Alex/Natalia returning in RE8 should automatically involve more of the past characters with her.

Also wanted to point out that Capcom has borrowed certain themes from films in the past and made it their own. But it's when they start ripping scenes from movies that cheapens the experience of the games a bit. Unfortunately this started with Code Veronica and has been done throughout the series since.
I think it is arguable that RE7 still sort of made it their own though (except for the stick figures that were clearly a rip from The Blaire Witch Project). But the entire RE7 game felt off because of the lack of tie-ins to other numbered titles. RE7 easily could have been a Revelations game and no one would have batted an eye. Capcom could have done a better job at including info on Alex and maybe even included Chris' section with Blue Umbrella towards the end of the game instead of as a DLC that came out months after the initial game.

Last edited:

Mr.R

Well i complain about re 6 because of its gameplay and poor story that had nothing to do whit resident evil but it was trying to poorly be call of duty in third person, but regarding aestetich, monster and enemy design, location, character design, the game stand, it's really great on those parts but it's hard to call it a re game when you just shoot and kick and there is not even a moment of tensione or fear lol
Despite this i accepted re 6 as part of the franchise as soon as it came out I'm not cutting my vine because of it XD but it's not really a re game and not even a good action game

Saying RE6's story is poor is an opinion. Sure. But it has nothing to do with Resident Evil? A game where the heroes need to stop the escalating of...(wait for it..) biohazards got nothing to do with Resident Evil, but 7 does? More than 6?

6's story got nothing to do with RE. Sure...

Last edited:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I've been thinking about the reveal over the last few days, and I think that I could have been much more hyped for this if it wasn't first person and if RE8 wasn't continuing the story of Ethan.

It's strange. I'm usually one to be hyped about the continuation of the story of the heroes in the vast majority of the media that I play, watch and read (and also wondering what happens with any continuing villains). Yet with this game, I'm more intrigued by the women/witches and how Alex (if it is indeed Alex) factors in, but couldn't care less about the main protagonist.

In some ways, I couple together Ethan and the first person perspective as one problem, as Ethan was deliberately created to be bland so that the player could 'experience the horror for themselves' from a first person perspective. I usually dismiss this purely on the basis that I don't want to pretend that it's me experiencing the horror for myself, but I actually thought about it and realised there's another problem with this way of playing, and it lies with a lack of cutscenes.

In terms of story, with the first-person camera you only get the details of what's right in front of your face in RE7. This leaves little room for story development outside of that. You don't see anything that Ethan doesn't see, which makes for more lacklustre, less detailed storytelling. This also created the need for multiple DLCs in RE7 to flesh the story out (which was probably intended). It might have worked better to have seen some of the things in the DLC from a different perspective, for example, the majority of the Daughters DLC could have been covered in a cutscene somewhere in the main game to make a more well-rounded tale. Instead, first person perspective here means to me that I'm being sold an experience, rather than being told an intriguing, multifaceted story to go along with my gameplay experience.

I'm aware this post is getting quite lengthy so I'm going to close by saying that I hope if it is Alex that she's given the detailed story she deserves, and isn't just a scary villain to be experienced and then her background motives explained after the fact in DLC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

Saying RE6's story is poor is an opinion. Sure. But it has nothing to do with Resident Evil? A game where the heroes need to stop the escalating of...(wait for it..) biohazards got nothing to do with Resident Evil, but 7 does? More than 6?

6's story got nothing to do with RE. Sure...
Well it's even hard to call re 6 story good, because it's pretty poor, whit huge plot hole... and wesker son, ada and simmons love story, sure good story lol everyone can see how bad re 6 story is, it's not actually an opinion,
Not that re 7 story is good either, but it's definitely better written, and more entertaining
Resident evil was never about stopping a biohazard disaster but surviving and escaping it, survive abomination, not going Rambo against them, just take w look at re 1 2 3 0 code veronica, 4, even 5 and revelations 2... Re 7 setting it's really close to original game in term of setting and story

Also I'm not against re 6 story of global escalation biohazard and Chris and Leon trying to stop it but the fact it's that is poorly written and soo poorly narrated that I can't understand how someone can call it good
I'm not even against doing something new regarding story, Write the story you want capcom, put even wesker son and Chris son lol but at least write the game good

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again, had Capcom scaled back the stupid amount of action and revised the story, especially in terms of how they teamed characters up, RE6 would have been better received. It would have been more compelling and less convoluted had they teamed Sherry up with Leon and had the BSAA escort Jake for most of the the game before they all crossed paths.

People love to give credit to RE7 for having similar environments to the very first game, but RE6 also has a lot of similar environmental callbacks to its predecessors. It’s just the bloated, over-the-top story taking place within RE6 that gets in the way of its success.

I've been thinking about the reveal over the last few days, and I think that I could have been much more hyped for this if it wasn't first person and if RE8 wasn't continuing the story of Ethan.

It's strange. I'm usually one to be hyped about the continuation of the story of the heroes in the vast majority of the media that I play, watch and read (and also wondering what happens with any continuing villains). Yet with this game, I'm more intrigued by the women/witches and how Alex factors in, but couldn't care less about the main protagonist.

In some ways, I couple together Ethan and the first person perspective as one problem, as Ethan was deliberately created to be bland so that the player could 'experience the horror for themselves' from a first person perspective. I usually dismiss this purely on the basis that I don't want to pretend that it's me experiencing the horror for myself, but I actually thought about it and realised there's another problem with this way of playing, and it lies with a lack of cutscenes.

In terms of story, with the first-person camera you only get the details of what's right in front of your face in RE7. This leaves little room for story development outside of that. You don't see anything that Ethan doesn't see, which makes for more lacklustre, less detailed storytelling. This also created the need for multiple DLCs in RE7 to flesh the story out (which was probably intended). It might have worked better to have seen some of the things in the DLC from a different perspective, for example, the majority of the Daughters DLC could have been covered in a cutscene somewhere in the main game to make a more well-rounded tale. Instead, first person perspective here means to me that I'm being sold an experience, rather than being told an intriguing, multifaceted story to go along with my gameplay experience.

I'm aware this post is getting quite lengthwise so I'm going to close by saying that I hope Alex is given the detailed story she deserves, and isn't just a scary villain to be experienced and then her background motives explained after the fact in DLC.

That’s actually a really great point in regards to the lack of in-depth storytelling in first-person games. RE has alway utilized cutscenes to progress the story along within the games. I know I always look forward to them to better flesh out the characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again, had Capcom scaled back the stupid amount of action and revised the story, especially in terms of how they teamed characters up, RE6 would have been better received. It would have been more compelling and less convoluted had they teamed Sherry up with Leon and had the BSAA escort Jake for most of the the game before they all crossed paths.

People love to give credit to RE7 for having similar environments to the very first game, but RE6 also has a lot of similar environmental callbacks to its predecessors. It’s just the bloated, over-the-top story taking place within RE6 that gets in the way of its success.

That’s actually a really great point in regards to the lack of in-depth storytelling in first-person games. RE has alway utilized cutscenes to progress the story along within the games. I know I always look forward to them to better flesh out the characters.
I think that Chris and piers story is good despite some flaws, there are some part that feel like re, Chris and piers relationship is good, but it's still poorly written and destroyed by nonsensical action moment, Jake and Sherry relationship is also good for me but still destroyed by other over the top impossible Action moment

They should have taken the action and writing to the level of re 3 remake and maybe it would have been better

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I think that Chris and piers story is good despite some flaws, there are some part that feel like re, Chris and piers relationship is good, but it's still poorly written and destroyed by nonsensical action moment, Jake and Sherry relationship is also good for me but still destroyed by other over the top impossible Action moment

They should have taken the action and writing to the level of re 3 remake and maybe it would have been better
Agreed that the action could have been toned down to the level of RE3R. Ironically, as I’m playing through RE6, despite Chris’ campaign having a military focus, his campaign has more grounded action than any of the others. :lol:
Leon randomly learns how to fly planes and helicopters all while scraping against trains and crashing through buildings, and running through collapsing buildings and explosions. I think the Uncharted series had a hand in Capcom’s decisions on this game’s gameplay.

But I do love the Chris and Piers team up, I don’t mean that they should have rid of it but I think there would have been a compelling mission for Chris and Piers to escort Jake after Sherry and Leon pass him on or lose him against Ustanak. There was a chance for some fun dialogue amongst those three as they bicker with one another... but that’s not how it went.

Kind of going back to the topic of this thread, it’s interesting that Capcom would even show Mia’s death in the trailer. So it does make me think that that scene is misleading. At the same time though I’ve never really found Mia to be a redeemable character with her hand in the experimentation of a child. She was very deceiving and only felt bad when it got out of hand. She could be feeding Blue Umbrella with intel for their own gains.

Top Bottom