• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

the ghost of internet past

Kurenai

I was just going about my daily business of IM'ing, forum-going and whatnot, when I started thinking about how I used to surf the web in the past, I can't even remember when I started IM'ing or forum going, nor do I remember much about what I did back then, sorta strange I know, but I thought I'd bring it up here because I'm sure you lot have some interesting internet-past stories :p

wpstudart

I remember when I made my first e-mail. I never get any e-mails, but I didn't send any either. Today I think I receive enough e-mails. I never used Youtube, dunno why. I used to save every cool pic I fond. The thing I did the most in the internet when I was younger was look for new things for The Sims. I remember that I knew my ICQ account(number), every single number. Today I just remember that was something '21...........'

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
I used to spend hours on msn, looking at completely random **** on the net, now i only really come on for things like this.

I remember when I first started IMing, I would do it with my real life friends but I stopped because they kept sending me stupid smylies and annoying me. Not too long after I started adding people with my interest from forums. I think Inuyasha fans were the first people I started adding.

Jumping into the IM world was like moving to another country of which I didn't know the language. I had to learn all the abbreviations and what all the stupid smylies meant, and worst of all, I had to understand stupid s**t like this: hdienwihfew naowe keui b3k.

Example, ttl means talk to you later, brb= Be right back, g2g=got to go. Yeah, im fluent in my internet and text language now. XD

I don't remember how I learned it, I guess I just got used to it and started getting the hang of it.

ResidentZelda

I used internet since I was born. lol jk but the first time that I used internet I pretty much spent all day in CN site XD, but you guys remember when the INternet was connected to the phone? haha My mom had to pay 1000 bucks for the phone bill (I spent 2 hours in internet) XD

Hoady

I've probably spent weeks on the damn thing but i don't even remember what i do.When i first used the internet i would listen to music and then talk on msn for hours, then i'd download stuff and use up all the fast internet lol.Nowadays its pretty much going to this site or finding out completely useless crap that i think of like"are crocodiles dinosaurs" and "why is the sky blue?".No matter what info is thrown at me though i don't believe this whole baby nonsense, i came from a pelican!
resampled_Pelican%20brief.jpg

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
I remember the first time I used the internet - probably when I was eleven or something like that at a friend's house... MSN used to have public chatrooms that people could create and have others join. They worked kind of like mini-forums in that the creator had a golden banhammer and could kick people out and give other people banhammers, haha. I don't think MSN still has them though. Does anyone else remember that?

^Im not sure I recall those. When I first started surfing the net, I was too busy on DBZ sites.

ResidentZelda;48818 said:
remember when the INternet was connected to the phone? haha My mom had to pay 1000 bucks for the phone bill (I spent 2 hours in internet) XD

Oh my gawd! Dial up was created by Satan. Although we had AOL so we didn't have to pay for the time spent on the comp, just one monthly fee. It still sucked though, having to get off a cool site cause someone had to use the phone. Or when the happy line decided to just cut off whenever it felt like it. That awful noise of torment you had to go through when you were connecting.

Hehe, good times. :lol:

ResidentZelda

i came from a pelican!
Well I came from a crow that plays soccer lol.
1176151461_crow-soccer.jpg

Oh my gawd! Dial up was created by Satan. Although we had AOL so we didn't have to pay for the time spent on the comp, just one monthly fee. It still sucked though, having to get off a cool site cause someone had to use the phone. Or when the happy line decided to just cut off whenever it felt like it. That awful noise of torment you had to go through when you were connecting.

Hehe, good times.
*cries* I feel nostalgic right now lol XD, yeah that beep boop beep boop has me traumatized *sight* good times.

Kurenai

wow, I missed this topic for a while.. sounds like everyone's internet history was pretty eventful, I started on forums first, then evolved to IMs to personally chat with buddies

Kurenai

that sounds sorta disturbing, and definately early on =x

I used to surf the webs solely for forums and to watch anime and other shows at first, and then I got into IMs, but got sucked into some dumb forum drama and lost a bunch of IM contacts, so there was a period of time where I lost forums and IM buddies until I only went to a few. now I've got 3 I go to including this one. I even ran my own forum and had a good staff for a while, and it hit like 250 members, most of which were active so it was a nice retreat with lots of chats going, until some unseen thing caused everyone to gradually stop coming, me and my staff buddies stayed the longest until it was just us, and we were ok with that until we started drifting apart over the years.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
When you think back, was it just me or did everyone elsejust surf the net for hours, andnow get bored on it easily

Top Bottom