• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The difference between RE and RE Director's Cut

Mobe

Hey guys, in what ways is RE different from the Director's Cut version?
I think I played the DC version.. Not sure of it though..

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
I have both, but I think RE Wiki will explain this quicker than me:

* New Costumes - The default outfits for Chris and Jill (as well as Rebecca) are different in Arranged Mode. The player can also change to their character's original outfit by going to the dressing room within the mansion's first floor.

* New Camera Angles - Several areas and a few cutscenes are now viewed from different angles.

* Different Item and Enemy Placement - Many of the key items in the game were relocated and placed in different areas. Many of the enemies were also relocated, with some areas featuring more enemies than they did in the original.

* New Handgun - The original Beretta 92F is replaced with a Beretta 92F Inox with wood grips and is referred to as the Custom Beretta. The Inox has a faster firing rate and the ability to randomly kill certain enemies with one shot.

* New Enemies - A zombie version of Forest Speyer appears as an enemy in the mansion's terrace instead of the usual pack of crows. In addition, there are also "Hyper Zombies".

A Beginner Mode is also included within the game in which the player's life and weapons' firepower are increased and the quantities of ammunition and ink ribbons are doubled. The auto-aiming feature that was missing in the English-language version of the original was also restored, allowing the player to lock onto targets with the press of a button. The game was packaged with a Resident Evil 2 demo (which also contained non-playable demos of Breath of Fire III and RockMan DASH in the Japanese version).

The North American and European releases were marketed as featuring the original, uncensored footage as seen in the Japanese releases. However, the FMV sequences were unchanged from the previous western releases and were still censored. Capcom claimed the omission was the result of a localization mistake made by the developers and offered the uncensored intro as a free download from their website as an appeasement. Despite this, Capcom made no attempt to "correct the mistake" when the Dual Shock version of the game was produced, which featured a new soundtrack in addition to the Dual Shock support. French and German PAL versions of the Director's Cut feature the uncensored FMVs, in coloured versions.

DUALSHOCK EDITION:

The Director's Cut of Resident Evil was re-released in Japan and USA for the PlayStation in 1998 in order to include a new soundtrack and compatibility with Sony's newly-released (at the time) DualShock controller.

* Dual Shock support - The vibration function and analog controls of the Dual Shock controller were incorporated into the game's controls.

* New Soundtrack - A new, atmospheric horror soundtrack composed by Mamoru Samuragouchi was made specifically for this version, replacing the original rock-style soundtrack by Masami Ueda.

The Japanese release also came packaged with a bonus disc known as the Biohazard Complete Disc, replacing the previous version's Biohazard 2 demo. This disc allows the user to download save data for all versions of Biohazard and Biohazard 2 into their memory card and view footage from the prototype version of Biohazard 2 (Resident Evil 1.5). The North American version was released as part of Sony's Greatest Hits line, but did not feature the bonus disc. The FMV sequences were still censored for the North American release, but the game's ad copy on the back of the package was edited to reflect this. There was no European release of the Dual Shock version.

Mobe

hey thanks a lot wolfy :D
wow, thats a huge list.. lol, now im sure i played the original version..

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Hehe, that's okay :D

DC is a great game, I got mine for about £10 from Amazon (about $20, just under?)

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
So they made three versions of this game. Resident Evil, Resident Evil DC, Resident Evil Remake.

nemesis_lover

@Romero, they actually made more then the three versions that you've stated, such as Resident Evil DS. This version added many new features to the same game, such as the new game mode "rebirth", which let you use the DS's controls and touch screen to get past new puzzles etc.
Also they included gameplay features such as Jill's 180 degree turn from RE3 and Leon/Chris's Knife automatic knife attact from RE4 and RE5. One of the best features of this version is the ability to skip door cutscenes. Also you're able to hook up with other players via a Lan setup, which no other version of this game has.
I wouln't class the Wii, PC versions as anything extra but i'd like to say the saturn is it's own version in its own right because it has the mini game "battle mode", where you fight your way through the mansions rooms to get to the end. Also this included the gold Tyrant, I have no idea on why they changed him from grey to gold but this has made a few people buy the game for this reason.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Romero;56618 said:
So they made three versions of this game. Resident Evil, Resident Evil DC, Resident Evil Remake.

AND Deadly Silence!! That's 4 versions, lol

Maybe you could count Umbrella Chronicles as well...

hunterseeker

Resident Evil Directors Cut also has three modes of difficulty.

Easy, normal and advanced. Advanced has different camera angles, more enemies, less ammo, less health, tougher enemies and you die easier.

However I've beaten advanced mode several times. And I don't find it that hard, compared to something like Resident Evil Code Veronica X.

nemesis_lover

wolfgirl;59382 said:
AND Deadly Silence!! That's 4 versions, lol

Copycat, I beat you to it "@Romero, they actually made more then the three versions that you've stated, such as Resident Evil DS." ;)

Mr Sunshine

There was also a version for game boy colour(!) which was thankfully abandoned. Just check youtube and you will understand what i mean..

Popo

my favourite is the remake, but between director's cut and original i prefer the original, and i love the soundtrack of the original

leapyear29

director's Cut has arranged/advanced mode, tt has more and tougher monsters, the items have been re-arranged, and some of the camera views and lighting have been changed..

zombinater007

i heard of the music changes. Some people say that the original OST was better. Never heard the original songs but the ones in DC seem a bit annoying

Mr Sunshine

So, I started the other day another game (director's cut - advanced mode) with Jill and noticed that you can't trigger the "Here's a weapon. It's really powerful - especially against living things" scene in advanced mode!

The walkthrough says that in order to trigger it you have to grap the chemicals and return to the main hall without having seen the Barry in the balcony scene(where Forest is). But in advanced you can't do that since you have to get the key next to Forest if you want to take the chemicals.

Or maybe if I wait sometime I won't meet Barry at the balcony?

Can anyone clarify all this?

Carriers of Dust

S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team
FalleN;98009 said:
So, I started the other day another game (director's cut - advanced mode) with Jill and noticed that you can't trigger the "Here's a weapon. It's really powerful - especially against living things" scene in advanced mode!

The walkthrough says that in order to trigger it you have to grap the chemicals and return to the main hall without having seen the Barry in the balcony scene(where Forest is). But in advanced you can't do that since you have to get the key next to Forest if you want to take the chemicals.

Or maybe if I wait sometime I won't meet Barry at the balcony?

Can anyone clarify all this?

Advanced mode, probably just makes it harder for you so you don't get any free ammo.

Mr Sunshine

Carriers of Dust;98017 said:
Advanced mode, probably just makes it harder for you so you don't get any free ammo.

That doesn't have to do with my problem.

Anyway, to clarify this advanced mode is the same as arranged mode. I watched a video in youtube and it seems that the scence I'm talking about is doable in this mode after all.

It all comes to down whether I'll face zombie Forest or meet Barry instead. Anyone knows how I won't meet meet Barry on the Balcony?

Edited: Anyway it seems that I've found the answer to my question. You have to go to the balcony in under 10 mintues of gameplay. Otherwise Barry will be there, Forest won't become a zombie and you won't be able to trigger the scence I'm talking about at the main hall.

Top Bottom