• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Terrible?

Rammlied

The main reason why Extinction wasn't that great to everyone (expect me, i extremely enjoyed it) Is because, it was suppose to be the last one. So they went out with a bang. Everything is covered in sand, no one else alive expect for a few people so on and so forth. However, when Capcom and Sony came out with Degeneration, well the movie was awesome to me, but to most not so much. It didn't sell all to well for one. In fact i think it made less money the movies itself. Not sure so don't quote me on that. Anyways, Sony then went back to Paul and asked for a 4th one.

The thing is, When the first script that Paul wrote for the first movie, was almost the same to the first game. Capcom didn't want that. Capcom wanted the movie series to be fresh but keep in the same storyline frame with Umbrella but just branch it off from there, which they did. So it's Resident evil in the sense to what they wanted to do with the story outcome but things had to change cause Capcom wanted it changed.

KennedyShot02

Overall the movies are ok. The 1st one is the only one that can be recognized as canon by game standards cause it kinda works as a nice prequel to the games. Overall it was one of my favorite live action RE movies. The others work well if you think of it as an alternate universe. But for Bad director they could have done Far worse then Paul W.S. Anderson. They could have given M. Night Shamylan a call......... On that note they also could have done way better.

Codes

maybe this statement will be different to you fans but i watched films first then played the games. i like them a lot so i dont really have issues with them... except that alice went all neo (matrix) like lol then removed her abillities again thus returning the survival back into the film. i think the guy who played wesker and the portrayal of him was great in my opinion. all round i think they are great films n eagerly await the next :)

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I know I've already made the details of my love for the films apparent in another thread, so suffice it to say, I quite enjoyed the films in spite of the fact that I've been playing the games since they came out, so I'm heavily versed in both universes. If I had to rank them in order from favorite to least favorite, they would be: Resident Evil, Resident Evil Afterlife, Resident Evil Extinction, Resident Evil Apocalypse.

Edit: Left out Degeneration; that would probably go between Extinction and Apocalypse.

Also, I just went back and read the thread which I knew probably wouldn't be the greatest idea (lol), but I have a few things I wanna mention about Afterlife and Alice.

I see a lot of the complaints about the movies are about Alice, and specifically Alice being superhuman and all that. I love how, even though this is by far the complaint I see the most about the movies, people hate Afterlife which removed all of Alice's powers and made her human again. And the thing about killing all the clones? It was to be expected, because when it comes to making a story, the villain has to be at least as powerful as the hero, Alice. If Alice is wandering around with hundreds of clones, then how could she possibly be defeated by any villain? She can't. So they killed the clones.

One thing I do agree with is that S.T.A.R.S. should have a larger role in the film, but that's hardly enough to make me hate them. I forget who posted, but someone in this thread pointed out that the films are based on the games and not the story of the games, which is brilliant. This just adds to my belief that the films shouldn't be so much like the games because we've all seen them before. Someone else brought up seeing live action mansion action. Yes, this would be cool, but it would be predictable and would inevitably turn out boring because we've all seen it before. I'm glad the movies are the way they are.

Some final thoughts: I like Paul Anderson, I love Milla Jovovich, the Resident Evil films remain amongst my favorites and I've been a fan for as long as it's been possible to be a fan, so it has nothing to do with being a 'real fan'.

But that's all I'll say about that. I know the number of people on the forum that like the films is apparenly vastly outnumbered by those who don't, and I don't hope or intend to change any minds or opinions.

KKAAIIG

Resident Evil 1 was good because it didn't have too much action and the zombies was new and people didnt know what to do. Resident Evil apocalypse had potential,
Jill should have been the main character and Alice's story should of ended. Extinction went too far with Alice
having superpowers...

G-Viruse Infectee

The Ashford Twins. We really are twins.
KKAAIIG i have to agree with you that why i prefeer the first movie and there were no video game charaters eather.I think Alice should have ended too and jill should have been the main charater in the second movie.

G-Viruse Infectee

maybe this statement will be different to you fans but i watched films first then played the games. i like them a lot so i dont really have issues with them... except that alice went all neo (matrix) like lol then removed her abillities again thus returning the survival back into the film. i think the guy who played wesker and the portrayal of him was great in my opinion. all round i think they are great films n eagerly await the next :)

i thought the guy who played wesker didnt look comfortable in the role.

G-Viruse Infectee

i think he played it well to be honest, from movement to his accent. may not be last time you see him in the films yet either.. as i too think he survives the explosion in the plane ;)[/quote

.....i didnt like wesker in the movies he was suppose to be intellegent but really oh i will eat you to gain your power......what the......i think i dislike the moves is because i am a gamer..but saying that i did like re1 movie and afterlife to the other movies.....i think also he will be back too....

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
Honestly, And I dont care if you all bash on me but I thought that besides the first movie the resident evil MOVIE series was terrible and here are my reasons.

1.It was directed by Paul W.S Anderson the worst friggen dirrector in the world

2.George Romero was supposed to make it and he even had a script made for it

3.Alice with Superpowers? Thanks alot...

tbf...

1. At least it wasn't Uwe Boll
2. The script was only OK, but yeah at least it was based more on the games
3. They're not much difference from Wesker's powers or Alexia's...

I know they kinda suck hard, but that's a different thing with movies - you can't cram 5-10 hours of story from several games into one film. They've tried to have different elements from the games (If there's something that's in more than one movie, I'll just put them in the film they were introduced in):

Resident Evil: Spencer Mansion, T-Virus zombies, Umbrella Corp introduced, Raccoon City setting, "Nemesis program", Birkin cameo, Cerberus, train ending a la RE2, Lickers... eventually the movies inspired the games as the 'laser corridor' was put into RE4

Resident Evil: Apocalypse: Raccoon City outbreak, Jill Valentine, Carlos, Nicolai, S.T.A.R.S., Nemesis, Ashford family, CODE: Veronica helicopter chase sequence (copied from the opening of the game)

Resident Evil: Extinction: Crows, more intelligent zombies (perhaps inspired by RE4 Ganados?), Tyrant, Wesker, Claire Redfield

Resident Evil: Afterlife: Majinis, Executioner, RE5 controlling devices, Battle Suit mind controlled Jill, Adjule (seemingly killed with an Africa shaped piece of glass??)

So yeah, they've tried to include a fair amount from the games. Plus account for the fact that although we love the RE story, it's a little silly. But we love it for the puzzles/zombie killing-ness/lateral thinking. Sadly, when converted to film, we lose the control and all that's left is a condensed silly story that's been altered a bit to make it different for those who've played the games already (otherwise you may as well watch cutscenes from the games which would make a movie copy redundant).

I know they're not perfect but think about how difficult it is...

Still, I'm glad there's movies like Degeneration that ADD to the canon rather than try to create its own... but those are different, as Degeneration and Damnation can only really be enjoyed by those who know the RE story already.

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
I really enjoyed the movies, I'm a big fan. Milla is the one that really makes the movies though, her character I just LOVE.. she kicks so much ass. Storyline is ok, ofcourse the REAL storyline is the best but any director is gonna want to make their OWN version of the story.

wolfgirl

Almost a Jibble Sammich
I really enjoyed the movies, I'm a big fan. Milla is the one that really makes the movies though, her character I just LOVE.. she kicks so much ass. Storyline is ok, ofcourse the REAL storyline is the best but any director is gonna want to make their OWN version of the story.

Loads of people get irritated with Milla but need to remember that films have to have a certain consistency. E.g. Saw will ALWAYS include Jigsaw as a consistant character, Nightmare on Elm Street has Krueger, Star Wars has Anakin/Vader etc. Games can get away with having different characters throughout the series interchange (e.g. some RE games have Jill and Chris while others include Leon or Claire, Assassin's Creed has Altair and Ezio, DMC has Dante and Nero) but in a film the audience will want to know what's happened to all the characters so a character like Alice has to be used in a film version.

Mr.Burton

REN's #1 Barry fan
Loads of people get irritated with Milla but need to remember that films have to have a certain consistency. E.g. Saw will ALWAYS include Jigsaw as a consistant character, Nightmare on Elm Street has Krueger, Star Wars has Anakin/Vader etc. Games can get away with having different characters throughout the series interchange (e.g. some RE games have Jill and Chris while others include Leon or Claire, Assassin's Creed has Altair and Ezio, DMC has Dante and Nero) but in a film the audience will want to know what's happened to all the characters so a character like Alice has to be used in a film version.
Some ppl don't follow though. Like ppl that go to the movies because they are bored and know nothing about the past movies lol. I remember when I went to see the 3rd RE movie and a bunch of guys was laughing and saying WTF at all the Alice clones... I just was like *facepalm*... ppl can be stupid, lol

kalim

I'm no f**king buddhist but this is enlightment
I liked the movies in fact the movies were how I first found out what RE was.Now I'm a big fan of the games.But, I've got to say Im not a big fan of the third or fourth movies.I can't wait until Retribution! It sounds so good & if Ada Wong is in it then I'm definitely gonna get my dad to sneak me into the cinema to go see it since I'm only 10 & can't legally watch or play the games

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I liked the movies in fact the movies were how I first found out what RE was.

I saw this and thought: :confused:

It sounds so good & if Ada Wong is in it then I'm definitely gonna get my dad to sneak me into the cinema to go see it since I'm only 10 & can't legally watch or play the games

Then I saw this and lol'd. It made me feel so old.

It seemed like I'd been playing Resident Evil for ages before the movie was even conceived. I like that I played the games first, as I was very aware of the universe I was entering. At the same time though, I'm generally not as judgemental toward video game adaptions (Resident Evil, Doom, Hitman, etc) as I am toward, say, remakes or sequels.

How ever it happens, it's always nice to see more Resident Evil fans, seeing as how I personally don't know any lol.

kalim

I'm no f**king buddhist but this is enlightment
thank you! I'm saying thank you because you didn't say something stupid like 'aaaaw how cute!' like everyone does.I hate people treating me like a kid & I know I am one but im pretty mature for my age (hence the fact I like resident evil because every 10 year old knows what RE is!)

DarkAngelEyes24

I think everyone finds them terrible because every movie is only about Alice. RE characters from the games are just there to call the movies Resident Evil. Jill barely got any screen time in Retribution. Nemesis was a joke. Claire's part was completely useless and I dont even know why they added Leon or Ada to the mix.

Top Bottom