• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Story & character ideas for Resident Evil 8?

Who to cast for Resident Evil 8?

• Chris Redfield

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Jill Valentine

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Leon Kennedy

• Claire Redfield

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Sherry Birkin

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Jake Muller

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ada Wong

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Barry Burton

• Moira Burton

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Rebecca Chambers

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Adult Sherry haven't gotten to reunite with Claire yet, so I voted for those two. Jill is my second favorite RE character, so I'm down with seeing her a new RE game also.
I actually kind of like this idea. It'd be really cool to maybe see Leon, Claire and Sherry in the same game together again.

Ayen

Resident Critic
I'm surprised Claire wasn't included in RE6 since they already had Leon and Ada in that game.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I'm surprised Claire wasn't included in RE6 since they already had Leon and Ada in that game.
I guess it's because they already had a lot of characters already, and they wanted Chris and Leon in the same game together as well. Maybe it would have been too much to add Claire in when they had all the other characters. However, I could definitely see ways to rework the game and story so that Claire could have been in there as part of her job with TerraSave.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
They could easily have included Claire if they didn't include the SUPER forgettable Helen Harper. But then again, why would she have been in Tall Oaks? I suppose she could've just been there to see the President's (speech was it?)

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Finding a reason for Claire to be in Tall Oaks wouldn't even be that hard (for all we know it might be where she lives, or maybe she was going to meet Leon there), but how would the story have worked? Leon is just a side character in his own campaign, it's really all about Helena and her beef with Simmons, so with Claire in her place, Simmons would have to use Chris as leverage, which in turn makes you wonder how exactly Chris's own campaign would have worked out, not to mention that Claire would be useless in Simmons's ploy to assassinate the president unless TerraSave agents somehow have the required security clearance.

So... while I'm usually all for reusing old characters instead of introducing new ones never to be seen again after their one and only appearance, in this case, if they really wanted to tell this story, it was justified for once. I guess Jill quitting the BSAA after the nasty business with Wesker and becoming part of the president's security detail would be somewhat believable by RE standards, so she could have been in Helena's place, but then fans would have rioted over having her and Chris in the same game, but not as partners. That way at least, the scene from the fake Revelations trailer where they're pointing their guns at each other could have become a reality, with their teams fighting over Ada / Carla.

I have to say, though, it would be awesome if RE6's four teams consisted of Leon and Claire, Chris and Jill, Sherry and Wesker's son, and Ada. All the main characters (or in one case, their offspring) reunited in the same game... One can dream, right?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Astute Hel. As usual.

I am not against a big team up again in the future if it was handled with more horror than action. When I was a kid, I wrote my idea for RE4 which was Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire all teaming up to take down the main Umbrella HQ which for some reason was in Russia in my 12 year old brain.

Ayen

Resident Critic
I'm afraid they'll use new characters for the future mainline titles because for some reason they think the older characters are too OP now to have a meaningful survivor horror experience in the games. Which I think is BS because it worked in the older games.

Reactions: Jen

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I'm afraid they'll use new characters for the future mainline titles because for some reason they think the older characters are too OP now to have a meaningful survivor horror experience in the games. Which I think is BS because it worked in the older games

I must keep telling myself that this is JUST a rumor, but I have heard rumblings that RE8 will feature characters from the history of the title. A well documented leaker (who has been right many times apparently) gave us little hints about RE8.

Here is an article about the leaker (Evil VR) although it doesn't contain the rumors I have heard. Remember that he has been wrong BEFORE and early development cycles of games can change in an instant. Look at the history of RE4 development.

Article: https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-8-news-leak-re4/

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Well, we've already been introduced to a couple of junior heroes in the latest games (Sheva, Helena, Piers, Jake, Sherry, Moira) that could easily take over if the original heroes are getting too old and/or too experienced. I realise that Helena "My favourite word is Cathedral" Harper is almost universally hated, Sheva "Sentenced to death for not being Jill" Alomar possibly even more so, and Piers "Left behind because fans aren't ready for gay soldiers" Nivans may not even be alive, but still, each of them would make for a better main character than RE7's Ethan "Bland is the new Relatable" Winters.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're ever going to see any of them again, at least not in games that aren't remakes of previous ones. And even if we do, as long as they keep going into the direction of Texas Chainsaw Massacre meets The Ring, I will keep pretending that RE6 is the latest entry in the chronology of the series. Everything after that just never happened for me.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I really love the term Junior Heroes in that post.

I would love to see Piers again honestly. He could make for a very unique protagonist if he somehow managed to survive the events of RE6. He would make an even BETTER antagonist. Although, I do not know how he could be related to the events of RE7/RE8. There are always unique ways to add characters in though.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
While I love the older characters, I have to say that there is something unique about playing as younger, inexperienced characters whom are facing zombies and monsters for the first time in their lives. But of course, it only works as long as the story is good.

That being said, ideally I think a game with 1 veteran and 1 newbie each having their own unique intertwined storylines would be the best.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'm afraid they'll use new characters for the future mainline titles because for some reason they think the older characters are too OP now to have a meaningful survivor horror experience in the games. Which I think is BS because it worked in the older games.

I've heard people say that on various forums as well, "you can't make a scary game with the vets, anymore, they're too OP". I never understood this logic. If the game's atmosphere is legitimately creepy, I don't think playing as a strong character will make much of a difference as long as the ammo is scarce (case in point: both Revelations games did a good job in the scares department despite playing as seasoned vets), and the point of a survival horror game is not to scare the character, it's to scare the player. Sure having a frightened newbie protagonist helps with the tension, but would playing as a Chris clone (or Heather Mason, the lone vet of the SH series) really have made this any less scary (provided Lisa was smart enough to take his weapons away after kidnapping him, which I can only surmise she would have)? I doubt it:

Reactions: Jen

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I've heard people say that on various forums as well, "you can't make a scary game with the vets, anymore, they're too OP". I never understood this logic. If the game's atmosphere is legitimately creepy, I don't think playing as a strong character will make much of a difference as long as the ammo is scarce (case in point: both Revelations games did a good job in the scares department despite playing as seasoned vets), and the point of a survival horror game is not to scare the character, it's to scare the player. Sure having a frightened newbie protagonist helps with the tension, but would playing as a Chris clone (or Heather Mason, the lone vet of the SH series) really have made this any less scary (provided Lisa was smart enough to take his weapons away after kidnapping him, which I can only surmise she would have)? I doubt it:

Plus, think about how Ethan was blasting through everything by the end of RE7... He was included because the vets were too experienced and they wanted a blank canvas, but he was an action hero by the end.

They definitely could make a scary game with the existing characters. They wouldn't even have to think too hard to do it.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Plus, think about how Ethan was blasting through everything by the end of RE7... He was included because the vets were too experienced and they wanted a blank canvas, but he was an action hero by the end.

They definitely could make a scary game with the existing characters. They wouldn't even have to think too hard to do it.

They already made scary games with existing characters, both Revelations games were fairly tense as was RE5 Lost in Nightmares despite playing as seasoned vets. I never bought the argument "you can't make a scary game with the OGs, they're too OP". Again, would playing as a "strong character" have made the P.T. jumpscare any less scary? I seriously doubt it. Anyone who says they'd be less freaked out by it is lying to you.

Wesker90

A Leon/Claire reunion would be great so I'd definitely be interested in a two scenario plot involving those two again.

Highly unlikely obviously.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Hey, they brought Chris and Jill back together... so why not Leon and Claire?

I mean, Claire is trying to get out of the bioterrorism defense game - but there is no reason she can't be brought in to the action like she was in Revelations 2.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Technically we already got a Leon/Claire reunion in the RE2 remake, so that's obviously not on Capcom's radar. What I really want the most at the moment though is a Jill/Claire team-up, which strangely enough hasn't been done yet.

Top Bottom