• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Story & character ideas for Resident Evil 8?

Who to cast for Resident Evil 8?

• Chris Redfield

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Jill Valentine

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Leon Kennedy

• Claire Redfield

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Sherry Birkin

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Jake Muller

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ada Wong

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Barry Burton

• Moira Burton

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Rebecca Chambers

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I remember myself and @Loki speaking about this a while ago and we both agreed that it doesn't count as a Resident Evil game because it takes place in a residence that was evil. :lol:

Funny how we both see that differently.
Lol wow. I wish I was here for that conversation. Would have been a fantastic argument. Oh well...My own fault for being away XD. Either way, even if you don't agree that's what makes the game, speaking solely about the title, it is more fitting than the vast majority of others lol.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Lol wow. I wish I was here for that conversation. Would have been a fantastic argument. Oh well...My own fault for being away XD. Either way, even if you don't agree that's what makes the game, speaking solely about the title, it is more fitting than the vast majority of others lol.
I think that's taking it too literally, though. If you take it that literally, any game is a Resident Evil game if it has residents that are/turn evil. In reality, the games are about way more than that.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I think that's taking it too literally, though. If you take it that literally, any game is a Resident Evil game if it has residents that are/turn evil. In reality, the games are about way more than that.
Initially they really weren't though. I mean, I'm taking it literally half joking. But I'm also half serious. The very first game is called Resident Evil pretty much for that reason. The series has just evolved to be more since then. Hell, they didn't even think they were getting a sequel, which is why it had so many different endings. So to say that wasn't the point of the games title initially, to be literal, I think is just wrong. And when they said RE7 will go back to the series roots, by god they at least weren't lying about that XD

Turo602

The King of Kings
They're not mutually exclusive...Considering the first one is literally about a biohazard that causes evil in a residence.

But to say the roots of the series is in its literal North American name is wrong, considering RE7 did nothing different than any other game in the franchise if that's what we're basing it on.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
But to say the roots of the series is in its literal North American name is wrong, considering RE7 did nothing different than any other game in the franchise if that's what we're basing it on.
Yes, but the "Back to the roots" part of my comment was (I thought) clearly in jest. I said in the beginning I'm only taking my own argument half seriously with this one.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I can make a movie where two stars are fighting each other, like, two actual stars. Would it qualify as a Star Wars film?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I can make a movie where two stars are fighting each other, like, two actual stars. Would it qualify as a Star Wars film?
Depends...Would it, on a technicality, fit the name? Yes. It could legitimately be described as a "Star Wars" film because it's about Warring Stars. Now, can it be described as a film in the "Star Wars Franchise?" No. Because it's not part of the canon, made by the production company that does Star Wars, or licensed by the licensing team. But if we are talking, "English language, could it be described as this" then yes. Yes it could. Because that's how words work.

That being said, that's a very dumb argument to make any, because in your scenario, you're an outside party making an outside product with a premise that matches in name only to an existing product. The reality of the Resident Evil situation, is they were the same party they've always been, making a licensed product.

Jonipoon

Actually, my intent was to say that if Lucasfilm makes a movie where two stars are fighting each other, they could call it Star Wars and say that this is a Star Wars film, but it would certainly not be considered as going back to the films' roots.

That was my point. It doesn't matter if its the same company who puts an official stamp on it, it doesn't mean its correct.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I thought RE7 was a great game! I rank it as like my fifth favorite in the series. It brought back REAL horror. It had creepy atmospheres, shocking scenes, great pacing, dope jump scares, etc. I will always be upset that there was only like 3-4 enemy designs in the whole game, but the game has some of the best bosses in the entire series. I didn't care too much for the first person aspect, but it didn't bother me either. I hope they continue with the RE2 3rd person style in upcoming games.

I get that it was removed from the typical RE narrative, but after RE6 - we needed a break from the narrative before they gave us some truly ridiculous concepts. I hope that RE8 can blend the story from RE7 with the formal RE narrative and give us better characterization of our already solid characters. Because while people complain that Chris looked different in RE7, his character in RE6 was an abomination. Drunk? Amnesia? They told us a generic video game background to an already designed character. It didn't fit and it just ended up being cliche.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Actually, my intent was to say that if Lucasfilm makes a movie where two stars are fighting each other, they could call it Star Wars and say that this is a Star Wars film, but it would certainly not be considered as going back to the films' roots.

That was my point. It doesn't matter if its the same company who puts an official stamp on it, it doesn't mean its correct.
Except for it did go back to the roots. Plain and simple. If you read above, I said, in a COUPLE of different posts, the "Name" aspect was mostly a joke. However, it's far closer to the original RE than, RE4 - 6 for example. Ammo Conservation, slow pacing, being alone, a terrifying home, a shadow organization in the background, puzzles have more prevalence. I don't think anyone can really disagree that RE7, regardless of whether you think it's watered down or not, RE7 is closer to the original styles, and the RE4 and onward era.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Except for it did go back to the roots. Plain and simple. If you read above, I said, in a COUPLE of different posts, the "Name" aspect was mostly a joke. However, it's far closer to the original RE than, RE4 - 6 for example. Ammo Conservation, slow pacing, being alone, a terrifying home, a shadow organization in the background, puzzles have more prevalence. I don't think anyone can really disagree that RE7, regardless of whether you think it's watered down or not, RE7 is closer to the original styles, and the RE4 and onward era.

I disagree. It's closer to Resident Evil's roots in ways RE4-RE6 wasn't, but it's also just as different in aspects where RE4-RE6 were more faithful.

Jonipoon

We were talking about the title. I wasn't talking about the gameplay aspects such as ammo conservation, puzzles, etc, I definitely agree on those aspects being a return to form.

I was simply questioning your idea that the title "Resident Evil" is a return to the roots simply because it takes place in an evil residence.... How about the fact that the latter part takes place on a boat?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think we can all MOSTLY agree that the last 3rd of RE7 isn't as good as the early parts of the game. The Residence parts are actually the best parts and that makes sense overall.

Once the story goes in to Ludicrous mode and we end up on the ship, the game starts fraying at the ends. The ship is PLENTY horrifying, but it's like the 5th ship in an RE game and it kind of feels out of place with the actual horror earlier in the game. And the ending of the game is a little bit rushed.

But I think that RE7 is overall a great game. If you combine RE7 with RE2 REMake to create RE8, I think that is a winning formula.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
We were talking about the title. I wasn't talking about the gameplay aspects such as ammo conservation, puzzles, etc, I definitely agree on those aspects being a return to form.

I was simply questioning your idea that the title "Resident Evil" is a return to the roots simply because it takes place in an evil residence.... How about the fact that the latter part takes place on a boat?
But again...If you'd have read everything I'd posted, you would have seen me say, on more than one occasion, that particular argument was a joke, and me arguing for the sake of arguing. Hence the reason for the "XD" emote immediately after I made the statement in the first place. You took seriously what Jen knew was a joke.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I think we can all MOSTLY agree that the last 3rd of RE7 isn't as good as the early parts of the game. The Residence parts are actually the best parts and that makes sense overall.

Once the story goes in to Ludicrous mode and we end up on the ship, the game starts fraying at the ends. The ship is PLENTY horrifying, but it's like the 5th ship in an RE game and it kind of feels out of place with the actual horror earlier in the game. And the ending of the game is a little bit rushed.

But I think that RE7 is overall a great game. If you combine RE7 with RE2 REMake to create RE8, I think that is a winning formula.

Eh, I'd say the second half of the game. As soon as you get to the "fun house" the game becomes linear and even more generic. And even then, it's not like the Baker house is even all that spectacular. Very small and very obvious where to go next. RE8 needs to be more RE2 less RE7.

But again...If you'd have read everything I'd posted, you would have seen me say, on more than one occasion, that particular argument was a joke, and me arguing for the sake of arguing. Hence the reason for the "XD" emote immediately after I made the statement in the first place. You took seriously what Jen knew was a joke.

To be fair, you said you were half joking, which means you were half serious. You even flat out said Jen was wrong. No need to be defensive over someone pointing out that was wrong.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Eh, I'd say the second half of the game. As soon as you get to the "fun house" the game becomes linear and even more generic. And even then, it's not like the Baker house is even all that spectacular. Very small and very obvious where to go next. RE8 needs to be more RE2 less RE7.

To be fair, you said you were half joking, which means you were half serious. You even flat out said Jen was wrong. No need to be defensive over someone pointing out that was wrong.
Well yeah I was half serious. I feel if you're going to make an argument, you should always have some form of seriousness that way it's still "adequate" points being made. Basically, I looked at this as a joke and sticking to a character. Jen knew (I assumed at least) not to take it seriously. I only decided to break character when Joonipoon started taking it seriously. Jen and I had built enough rapport I assumed she was in on the joke. I guess I could be wrong about that aspect of it as it was just an assumption.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Well yeah I was half serious. I feel if you're going to make an argument, you should always have some form of seriousness that way it's still "adequate" points being made. Basically, I looked at this as a joke and sticking to a character. Jen knew (I assumed at least) not to take it seriously. I only decided to break character when Joonipoon started taking it seriously. Jen and I had built enough rapport I assumed she was in on the joke. I guess I could be wrong about that aspect of it as it was just an assumption.

And that's exactly what I and Jonipoon were responding to. Your argument. Joke or not, we're just stating the the fallacy in your argument which again, you admitted was half serious because you were trying to make an adequate point. So why do you keep hiding behind it not being serious and that you were just joking?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
And that's exactly what I and Jonipoon were responding to. Your argument. Joke or not, we're just stating the the fallacy in your argument which again, you admitted was half serious because you were trying to make an adequate point. So why do you keep hiding behind it not being serious and that you were just joking?
Again...Because taking the joke seriously is part of the craft...Will Ferrell doesn't laugh at his own jokes when he's filming even though he knows it's a joke. He plays it straight and sticks to character. The argument itself, was a joke, and there's plenty of times that's either A. Admitted. Or B. Alluded to. But being half serious is the part where, even though I know it's a joke, I stick to it, because that's the fun part. Playing the joke seriously. Responding to the Argument is fun for me. Like, why would I do it if not for a response. The part where I'm confused why Joonipoon is still taking it seriously is when I've already said:

"So to say that wasn't the point of the games title initially, to be literal, I think is just wrong. And when they said RE7 will go back to the series roots, by god they at least weren't lying about that XD "

"Yes, but the "Back to the roots" part of my comment was (I thought) clearly in jest. I said in the beginning I'm only taking my own argument half seriously with this one. "

Before Joonipoon every responded I thought I'd made it clear it was a joke. And then when he DID respond, after I'd already bantered with You and Jen, he came up with the Star Wars analysis. I thought my over the top, annoyingly literal, and incredibly semantic heavy rebuttal would be enough to show I was going over the top for a joke. And Joonipoon still didn't catch on. At that point I was pretty much at a loss. Either keep going with the joke, which is less fun when you find out the party won't catch on that it's a joke, or stop all together. Then you jumped in, and I'm grateful for that because now I can (I assume) adequately explain why certain comments were laid out the way they were.

Top Bottom