• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Story & character ideas for Resident Evil 8?

Who to cast for Resident Evil 8?

• Chris Redfield

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Jill Valentine

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Leon Kennedy

• Claire Redfield

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Sherry Birkin

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Jake Muller

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ada Wong

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Barry Burton

• Moira Burton

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Rebecca Chambers

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I feel like the opinion on RE7 is going to be extremely divided among the fanbase forever. Comparingly, fans of RE6 will at least admit that the game has flaws, but RE7 will probably either be praised to the skies or utterly despised.

I feel like RE8 is still years away.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I read recently from a "insider" leak that RE8 will be on PS5 and other next gen consoles. This "insider" has been right before, but they have also been wrong - a lot.

Jonipoon

PS5 and the next Xbox will most likely be released around late 2020 / early 2021.

Unless Capcom wants RE8 to be one of the final titles to be released on the current 8th generation of consoles, my guess is that they're planning for it to be a next-gen title. This means the possibility of a RE3 remake coming next year's getting more and more likely.

This will also probably mean that The Last of Us Part II is one of the final titles for the PS4 when it hits stores this winter or early 2020.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
According to some - RE3 REmake (or 3Make as some people say) will be the next RE game we get. I was hoping to get 8 first to keep from getting the stale formula routine RE has been known to have in the past, but it makes more sense this way I suppose.

black 93

I swear i just wish Capcom would make like a 5 year plan for this series. For consistency if nothing else. Since 2012 we've had one numbered game and it wasn't what anyone wanted and even if you enjoyed the game you have to admit it wasn't what any of us expected. This series is so convoluted and messy now story wise. An RE3 Remake is all well and good, but iv yet to meet one person who is excited for RE8. Honestly it saddens me, RE used to be my thing, it even helped me come out of depression as a teenager. Im just not excited anymore. I blame the lack of consistency and focus.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
An RE3 Remake is all well and good, but iv yet to meet one person who is excited for RE8.
This. I think it says a lot that Remakes are more what fans are wanting than a brand new entry into the series. I've barely seen any hype for Resident Evil 8 - though maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. There's maybe been casual interest in it, but not true hype like there has been for previous main series entries.

Turo602

The King of Kings
According to some - RE3 REmake (or 3Make as some people say) will be the next RE game we get. I was hoping to get 8 first to keep from getting the stale formula routine RE has been known to have in the past, but it makes more sense this way I suppose.

That's exactly what I fear. I know Resident Evil 7 and 2 have been prasied to hell, but I feel like Capcom is gonna turn this series stale. I've heard rumors that RE8 is gonna take some sort of inspiration from RE 3.5 with the hookman, and it made me think, they're probably gonna want another enemy who follows you around and that just seems like a horrible idea.

When the original Resident Evil 2 did it, it was new and interesting. Then Resident Evil 3 took that further and evolved it by making the entire game revolve around a stalker character who is much more relentless and aggressive. Since then, we haven't had anything like that until Resident Evil 6 with the Ustanak and at least in that game, it was only present in one of four campaigns and it felt different enough from the previous games.

But now, we have Jack Baker in RE7 who would wander the house at certain times and follow you around everywhere. RE2 REmake does the same exact thing with Mr. X rather than keeping him completely scripted like he was in the original. And now we have rumblings of RE3 REmake which we know stars Nemesis (pun intended). The question is, how is he gonna work? Is it gonna be that same Jack Baker-esque roam around at will kind of stalking? How are they gonna change it to keep it fresh and are they gonna keep using that formula with RE8? It's gonna be overdone at this point and they seriously got to stop relying on it as a scare tactic because it's gonna get old very quickly.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
A lot of folks are jumping on the "I haven't seen hype for RE8 and that's a bad sign" train, and I think that's a pretty flawed line of thinking. If memory serves, we haven't even gotten confirmation we're GETTING a Resident Evil 8. Now, I could be totally wrong about that, but the point is, we know almost nothing about it. It's hard to get hyped for something you have no knowledge of. And it's even worse when you DO get hyped for it. Is Last Jedi Syndrome. Fansboys were all ****ed off because they hyped it up SO much without knowing what it was about, then when it didn't meet their fanfic standards, they threw a fit. For that reason alone I'm glad there's no hype for RE8. The hype will come when we have official information from Capcom. Besides, it seems like they've finally learned what we want after RE6, with 7 and REmake2 being fantastic games. Even if they aren't perfect, and even if there's aspects of them you don't like, we gotta acknowledge Capcom seems to at least be actively TRYING to listen to fans. That's good. I think there's hope for RE8.

As for the REmakes talk. It's understandable we'd be getting a bunch of REmakes right now. Everyone and their grandmother has been trying to bring the 90's back, for *several* years now, and nostalgia sells. I mean, Between Spryo Reignited, the Crash N Sane, REmake2, Shadow of the Colossus (Which I know wasn't 90's but you still get my point about nostalgia), Sonic Mania (To an extent?), and hell, even Nintendo jumped on that remake bandwagon with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Leg's Go Eevee, which is just a modern remake of Yellow. People are eating these games up. If there's a demand, why not Capcom meet it with Remakes of classic games like RE3. Nostalgia alone keeps that hype train up for people. And it's way easier to get hyped about something familiar that you can visualize, than it is a blank slate that you have no mental pictures for.

Turo602

The King of Kings
A lot of folks are jumping on the "I haven't seen hype for RE8 and that's a bad sign" train, and I think that's a pretty flawed line of thinking. If memory serves, we haven't even gotten confirmation we're GETTING a Resident Evil 8. Now, I could be totally wrong about that, but the point is, we know almost nothing about it. It's hard to get hyped for something you have no knowledge of. And it's even worse when you DO get hyped for it. Is Last Jedi Syndrome. Fansboys were all ****ed off because they hyped it up SO much without knowing what it was about, then when it didn't meet their fanfic standards, they threw a fit. For that reason alone I'm glad there's no hype for RE8. The hype will come when we have official information from Capcom. Besides, it seems like they've finally learned what we want after RE6, with 7 and REmake2 being fantastic games. Even if they aren't perfect, and even if there's aspects of them you don't like, we gotta acknowledge Capcom seems to at least be actively TRYING to listen to fans. That's good. I think there's hope for RE8.

As for the REmakes talk. It's understandable we'd be getting a bunch of REmakes right now. Everyone and their grandmother has been trying to bring the 90's back, for *several* years now, and nostalgia sells. I mean, Between Spryo Reignited, the Crash N Sane, REmake2, Shadow of the Colossus (Which I know wasn't 90's but you still get my point about nostalgia), Sonic Mania (To an extent?), and hell, even Nintendo jumped on that remake bandwagon with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Leg's Go Eevee, which is just a modern remake of Yellow. People are eating these games up. If there's a demand, why not Capcom meet it with Remakes of classic games like RE3. Nostalgia alone keeps that hype train up for people. And it's way easier to get hyped about something familiar that you can visualize, than it is a blank slate that you have no mental pictures for.

That's not the point. It's the fact that this franchise has plummeted so hard that all hype and discussions surrounding the games have just died. Resident Evil 7 didn't have to be revealed for fans to be genuinely excited about the series and speculate about the game non-stop. You don't see that with 8, at least not on this forum like we did with 7. Every E3, there was hope that we would see RE7. Rumors and speculation everywhere. Resident Evil 6 left us with things to think about going into 7.

So what happened? Resident Evil 7 did. It completely killed all excitement for this series. From its first-person camera, generic horror tone, lack of main protagonists and overall connection to the series, it just came and went leaving fans divided, confused, and unsure what to expect from the future now that they've completely ditched everything RE6 set up. The very game Capcom called the start of a brand new chapter for the series, with an ominous illuminati organization looming in the background called The Family. Then the tagline for RE7 is Welcome to the Family, only to literally mean family, as in the Bakers. How f*cking disappointing. Even the fans that were hyped at its reveal didn't have much to say post release.

Resident Evil 2 REmake is a lot more in line with what a lot of us want to see from this series, but it's still just a remake. It says nothing about RE8, and even in comparison to the original RE2, it was still a pretty weak remake, so no, I don't trust that Capcom is listening to the fans or at least know what they're doing with this franchise yet. It says a lot that people are more excited for a REmake of 3 than continuing the franchise after 7. This franchise just isn't as exciting as it used to be and it's because Capcom is literally fumbling around with this series and they have been since RE4 and more and more people are starting to realize it.

Also, the problem with The Last Jedi wasn't that it was overhyped. It was just f*cking awful. Completely threw away 40 years of story telling down the drain because numb nuts Rian Johnson is a f*cking tool.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
That's not the point. It's the fact that this franchise has plummeted so hard that all hype and discussions surrounding the games have just died. Resident Evil 7 didn't have to be revealed for fans to be genuinely excited about the series and speculate about the game non-stop. You don't see that with 8, at least not on this forum like we did with 7. Every E3, there was hope that we would see RE7. Rumors and speculation everywhere. Resident Evil 6 left us with things to think about going into 7.

So what happened? Resident Evil 7 did. It completely killed all excitement for this series. From its first-person camera, generic horror tone, lack of main protagonists and overall connection to the series, it just came and went leaving fans divided, confused, and unsure what to expect from the future now that they've completely ditched everything RE6 set up. The very game Capcom called the start of a brand new chapter for the series, with an ominous illuminati organization looming in the background called The Family. Then the tagline for RE7 is Welcome to the Family, only to literally mean family, as in the Bakers. How f*cking disappointing. Even the fans that were hyped at its reveal didn't have much to say post release.

Resident Evil 2 REmake is a lot more in line with what a lot of us want to see from this series, but it's still just a remake. It says nothing about RE8, and even in comparison to the original RE2, it was still a pretty weak remake, so no, I don't trust that Capcom is listening to the fans or at least know what they're doing with this franchise yet. It says a lot that people are more excited for a REmake of 3 than continuing the franchise after 7. This franchise just isn't as exciting as it used to be and it's because Capcom is literally fumbling around with this series and they have been since RE4 and more and more people are starting to realize it.

Also, the problem with The Last Jedi wasn't that it was overhyped. It was just f*cking awful. Completely threw away 40 years of story telling down the drain because numb nuts Rian Johnson is a f*cking tool.
I don't think we can objectively say the franchise has plummeted. We can definitely say it left us divided. I'll totally agree to that. But plummeted? I don't think so. I mean, at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste, and this is the happiest I've been with the franchise since Resident Evil hit the Wii with RE4, RE:DC, and RE:UC. Like, It's my all time favorite series, but I haven't had near as much love for anything RE related (RElated), since that era...Until RE7 and now RE2.

Now, I get what you mean when you say RE7 was uninspiring to some. It felt like a cop-out of a horror game. Just tropes with the Resident Evil name slapped on it. And while I think you can make an argument for that, I think you can make an argument for 7 truly being what RE has needed in a Post RE5 world, where that story wrapped up in a nice, neat, little bow. You say RE7 killed excitement for the series, but I just don't think that's true. Yeah, people are talking more about remakes than sequels...but, especially here, we were ALWAYS clamoring for an RE2 REmake. I remember when RE6 was announced...And we theorized and talked about what we wanted...But we still probably equally talked about how much we wanted an RE2 remake. And now remakes are hotter than ever. Rather than blaming lack of excitement for a sequel on RE7, it's more likely people are just focusing on current trends since that's common for people to do..

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't think we can objectively say the franchise has plummeted. We can definitely say it left us divided. I'll totally agree to that. But plummeted? I don't think so. I mean, at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste, and this is the happiest I've been with the franchise since Resident Evil hit the Wii with RE4, RE:DC, and RE:UC. Like, It's my all time favorite series, but I haven't had near as much love for anything RE related (RElated), since that era...Until RE7 and now RE2.

Now, I get what you mean when you say RE7 was uninspiring to some. It felt like a cop-out of a horror game. Just tropes with the Resident Evil name slapped on it. And while I think you can make an argument for that, I think you can make an argument for 7 truly being what RE has needed in a Post RE5 world, where that story wrapped up in a nice, neat, little bow. You say RE7 killed excitement for the series, but I just don't think that's true. Yeah, people are talking more about remakes than sequels...but, especially here, we were ALWAYS clamoring for an RE2 REmake. I remember when RE6 was announced...And we theorized and talked about what we wanted...But we still probably equally talked about how much we wanted an RE2 remake. And now remakes are hotter than ever. Rather than blaming lack of excitement for a sequel on RE7, it's more likely people are just focusing on current trends since that's common for people to do..

I'll admit, Resident Evil 2 REmake is the happiest I've ever been with this franchise in years, but for all the wrong reasons. The game is amazing in its own right, but I'm getting sick of saying that about this franchise. Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Revelations, and so on. They're good games in their own right, but they're not good Resident Evil games. And while REmake 2 is definitely a great Resident Evil game, it's a poor remake. But at the end of the day, no matter how much I think Resident Evil should have been like the RE2 REmake since RE4 and should continue on that way in the future, the future is still up in the air. Is RE8 gonna be another watered down VR horror game or is it gonna follow the footsteps of REmake 2? Who knows? I no longer know what to expect anymore, and quite honestly, I no longer care. Because this franchise just doesn't have a soul anymore and it's been that way for a long time.

Chris Redfield was always a favorite character of mine, and I thought Capcom actually cared about the character considering how often they used him and how consistent he remained compared to other protagonists. But now we have "Redfield" as he calls himself in RE7 and that just isn't Chris in any f*cking sense of the character. One of my favorite video game characters from one of my favorite video game franchises, and I'm honestly no longer looking forward to seeing him ever again. That's how I feel after RE7. As bad as RE6 was, the characters and lore were in tact. It's the reason I kept coming back to this franchise, because I wanted to see what happens with these characters I've spent so much time with and practically grew up with. RE6 may have flown off into the deep end with its stupid stories and over the top action, unpolished gameplay, and plethora of bad ideas, but it was all salvageable. Just change the direction of the gameplay, focus on survival horror again, and everything would be fine again. But Capcom completely ditched the series' identity with RE7 and that was pretty much the final blow.

And don't get me wrong, I know people love Resident Evil 7 and REmake 2. Of course they do, they sold extremely well. But so did RE5 and RE6. When I talk about fans, I mean the more traditional fans, not the wider audience who is more or less content with whatever they get because they have no real standards for this franchise. Just the amount of idiots you see defending the games from people who actually have something to say online is unfathomable, and since they don't have any real voice like those who care enough to critique what they love, I choose not to include them because they have no voice. So while those idiots can just keep praising Capcom no matter what, fans like me, @black 93, @Jen, and many others all over the internet have expressed our disinterest in this franchise between releases because it's just no longer exciting.

So no, I don't believe trends are to blame for this. This isn't a dead franchise like Crash or Spyro was that got to see a resurgence of popularity from remakes. This is Resident Evil, a franchise so big that even at its worse it sells like hot cakes. Not to mention, it just came off of a hot new buzz worthy sequel with RE7 that "brought back" survival horror. So where's the hype for the next game? Instead, we all moved onto REmake 2, which has gotten much more universal praise than RE7 did. But of course, no one can talk about RE2 without talking about its spin-off\sequel. The 2 games already share a lot of the same assets, so it's only logical to want it next. This is no different than when we first wanted to see RE2 remade after REmake and Zero released, yet RE4 was still getting tons of buzz. And like you said, we were all buzzing about RE2 REmake all while we were still excited for RE6 and even RE7.

Jonipoon

Quite the opposite, I think RE2 remake has made me more excited for RE8 than I was before, simply because I have faith in Capcom now.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think that when we do get an RE8 reveal, people will go nuts. I just think it'll be later than we expect. At this point in my life, I worry that the long development times for games could push the series so I don't see as many titles in my lifetime as I would like to. That's probably not a real worry, but it is a worry of mine. lol.

I still think to myself at night ---- IF Resident Evil is still going by the time I die at the age of 91, they will only be on Resident Evil 15 at this rate. And don't get me started with how long a new Final Fantasy will get here! By the time I die, FF 16 will just be released! And I am only 32 at this moment.

Edge Stylez

Advanced 3d Artist
Since RE2 remake, Capcom should go for the remakes of the classic franquise, if they do RE8 is like.....Damn fast and furious 9 again.
Is my honest opinion, there is no trama anymore.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I'll admit, Resident Evil 2 REmake is the happiest I've ever been with this franchise in years, but for all the wrong reasons. The game is amazing in its own right, but I'm getting sick of saying that about this franchise. Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Revelations, and so on. They're good games in their own right, but they're not good Resident Evil games. And while REmake 2 is definitely a great Resident Evil game, it's a poor remake. But at the end of the day, no matter how much I think Resident Evil should have been like the RE2 REmake since RE4 and should continue on that way in the future, the future is still up in the air. Is RE8 gonna be another watered down VR horror game or is it gonna follow the footsteps of REmake 2? Who knows? I no longer know what to expect anymore, and quite honestly, I no longer care. Because this franchise just doesn't have a soul anymore and it's been that way for a long time.

Chris Redfield was always a favorite character of mine, and I thought Capcom actually cared about the character considering how often they used him and how consistent he remained compared to other protagonists. But now we have "Redfield" as he calls himself in RE7 and that just isn't Chris in any f*cking sense of the character. One of my favorite video game characters from one of my favorite video game franchises, and I'm honestly no longer looking forward to seeing him ever again. That's how I feel after RE7. As bad as RE6 was, the characters and lore were in tact. It's the reason I kept coming back to this franchise, because I wanted to see what happens with these characters I've spent so much time with and practically grew up with. RE6 may have flown off into the deep end with its stupid stories and over the top action, unpolished gameplay, and plethora of bad ideas, but it was all salvageable. Just change the direction of the gameplay, focus on survival horror again, and everything would be fine again. But Capcom completely ditched the series' identity with RE7 and that was pretty much the final blow.

And don't get me wrong, I know people love Resident Evil 7 and REmake 2. Of course they do, they sold extremely well. But so did RE5 and RE6. When I talk about fans, I mean the more traditional fans, not the wider audience who is more or less content with whatever they get because they have no real standards for this franchise. Just the amount of idiots you see defending the games from people who actually have something to say online is unfathomable, and since they don't have any real voice like those who care enough to critique what they love, I choose not to include them because they have no voice. So while those idiots can just keep praising Capcom no matter what, fans like me, @black 93, @Jen, and many others all over the internet have expressed our disinterest in this franchise between releases because it's just no longer exciting.

So no, I don't believe trends are to blame for this. This isn't a dead franchise like Crash or Spyro was that got to see a resurgence of popularity from remakes. This is Resident Evil, a franchise so big that even at its worse it sells like hot cakes. Not to mention, it just came off of a hot new buzz worthy sequel with RE7 that "brought back" survival horror. So where's the hype for the next game? Instead, we all moved onto REmake 2, which has gotten much more universal praise than RE7 did. But of course, no one can talk about RE2 without talking about its spin-off\sequel. The 2 games already share a lot of the same assets, so it's only logical to want it next. This is no different than when we first wanted to see RE2 remade after REmake and Zero released, yet RE4 was still getting tons of buzz. And like you said, we were all buzzing about RE2 REmake all while we were still excited for RE6 and even RE7.
Well, let's see what happens at E3 this year, and I very well may eat my words ;)

Edit: @Turo602 , This particular internet user seems pretty jazzed for the future of RE lol
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ard-spiral-from-which-its-only-just-recovered

Last edited:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I have to agree with Turo. RE7 was so far out of left field, it was stupid. Even though the plot wasn't tight before, there was at least some continuity with the story. Instead, with 7 we got a very dull, bland story with practically no link to anything that had happened before in the series. The only thing that it got right was a shift in the right direction in terms of tone and it was tense at some moments. It had practically no replay value once you got all the trophies.

I'm not gonna go on too much about 7 because I feel like people on the forum are sick of me moaning about it. But I just really hope that they don't continue what they did with 7 into 8. I would be so disappointed if they did.

As others have said above, Remake 2 actually reignited some hope for the series with me. The feeling I got from Remake 2 was the feeling I wished I had got for RE7.

However, unlike some people mentioned above, this doesn't make me hopeful for RE8. This is purely based on Capcom's history with this series - this happened before, and not so long ago, and I've not forgotten it. You see, generally Revelations 2 got really favourable reviews and everyone was hopeful that that might get the series back on track, myself included. I was so excited for the potential direction that RE7 could take... and look what we got. Revelations 2 was a step in the right direction; Capcom backtracked that step, turned around, and walked ten steps in the opposite direction. What makes everyone think that just because Remake 2 was awesome that they're actually going to act on that? They didn't last time.

Maybe I'm just jaded with Capcom's approach to this series, but I now always think that I won't get excited about main series entries of Resident Evil until they give me something to be excited and hyped about.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I have to agree with Turo. RE7 was so far out of left field, it was stupid. Even though the plot wasn't tight before, there was at least some continuity with the story. Instead, with 7 we got a very dull, bland story with practically no link to anything that had happened before in the series. The only thing that it got right was a shift in the right direction in terms of tone and it was tense at some moments. It had practically no replay value once you got all the trophies.

I'm not gonna go on too much about 7 because I feel like people on the forum are sick of me moaning about it. But I just really hope that they don't continue what they did with 7 into 8. I would be so disappointed if they did.

As others have said above, Remake 2 actually reignited some hope for the series with me. The feeling I got from Remake 2 was the feeling I wished I had got for RE7.

However, unlike some people mentioned above, this doesn't make me hopeful for RE8. This is purely based on Capcom's history with this series - this happened before, and not so long ago, and I've not forgotten it. You see, generally Revelations 2 got really favourable reviews and everyone was hopeful that that might get the series back on track, myself included. I was so excited for the potential direction that RE7 could take... and look what we got. Revelations 2 was a step in the right direction; Capcom backtracked that step, turned around, and walked ten steps in the opposite direction. What makes everyone think that just because Remake 2 was awesome that they're actually going to act on that? They didn't last time.

Maybe I'm just jaded with Capcom's approach to this series, but I now always think that I won't get excited about main series entries of Resident Evil until they give me something to be excited and hyped about.
Am I the only one that liked RE7 XD

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Ummmmm.... I guess not the only one, but..... Around here lots were disappointed. :lol::lol:
Lol, I absolutely loved it. To me it felt like the title of the game finally had meaning again. Like...the First RE was titled as such because it took place IN a residence. It was a house. A house of evil. Then we never had that again. RE3 you could make the argument that Resident (Living here) can be applied to the whole city, so rather a house where Evil lives, a whole City where evil lives. But point is, I've actually always thought the title of the series (Despite how much I love the series itself) was stupid because the games weren't about where something lived. Then RE7 gave us a reason for it to be called "Resident Evil" again. It was a residence where evil existed. I loved it.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Lol, I absolutely loved it. To me it felt like the title of the game finally had meaning again. Like...the First RE was titled as such because it took place IN a residence. It was a house. A house of evil. Then we never had that again. RE3 you could make the argument that Resident (Living here) can be applied to the whole city, so rather a house where Evil lives, a whole City where evil lives. But point is, I've actually always thought the title of the series (Despite how much I love the series itself) was stupid because the games weren't about where something lived. Then RE7 gave us a reason for it to be called "Resident Evil" again. It was a residence where evil existed. I loved it.
I remember myself and @Loki speaking about this a while ago and we both agreed that it doesn't count as a Resident Evil game because it takes place in a residence that was evil. :lol:

Funny how we both see that differently.

Top Bottom