• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SpyBots

Mr Sunshine

I was viewing the "who's online section" when I noticed that apart from the members and the guests there are some yahoo or msn spybots and spiders. Can anyone explain me what these things do?

Also, usually the forum has around 100 users at this time of the day. However today and yesterday they became around 150. Whenever this thing happens I see that there are a lot of guests viewing user profiles. Why would they do that? I mean why would I want to see a profile since I'm not a member of the forum? Does it have to do with the spybots?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
The search engines (Yahoo, Google, MSN and maybe others) are indexing the site. This is common, they do that on every forum unless they are blocked. It's in our interest to have them here, because otherwise how could folks find us?

I don't know who all the guests are, but I don't care if they look on my profile. You can block them from viewing your profile details if you like. Edit profile privacy.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Many of the 'guests' viewing profiles are bots. Not only are they 'viewing' many member profiles simultaneously, but they all share the same IP address.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
It's very funny when a search bot is "using private messenger" or testing out other links that normally only a human would. :lol:

tremor

4 itchy tasty
Premium
Romero;67235 said:
It's very funny when a search bot is "using private messenger" or testing out other links that normally only a human would. :lol:

LMAO! :lol:

It was seriously using the private messenger?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
tremor;67239 said:

I have not seen it happen here, but I've seen it several times at other boards. It's a random thing that happens since they will try all links.

tequila

Bottle Lover
I remember those little suckers. Ugh those were soooo annoying. *DELETE* :)

What sucks more were the IM bots. Those suckers scan your contacts list and adds people when you respond to them. I learned that the hard way :D

*BLOCK and DELETE*

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
tequila;67279 said:
I remember those little suckers. Ugh those were soooo annoying. *DELETE* :)

What sucks more were the IM bots. Those suckers scan your contacts list and adds people when you respond to them. I learned that the hard way :D

*BLOCK and DELETE*
The search bots can't access our private messaging system, they can only try the links. When they try a PM link they'll get the same result as you'll get if you try to send a PM without being logged in.
We benefit from having them here.

As for IM bots, that's another thing. But your contact list is not open for anyone to see?

tequila

Bottle Lover
Romero;67289 said:

The search bots can't access our private messaging system, they can only try the links. When they try a PM link they'll get the same result as you'll get if you try to send a PM without being logged in.
We benefit from having them here.

As for IM bots, that's another thing. But your contact list is not open for anyone to see?

Yes that's true. But then they're also the spammers, which log in and send massive PMs. Those are bots too.

The search bots are not that bad.

I don't leave my contacts out in the open, it's just a code
that runs through the program and retrieves information when you respond to it. It believes your online and will constantly messages you and buzzes you. Those dumb things gave me some worm of a trojan, but I got rid of that.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Romero;67252 said:
tremor;67239 said:
Romero;67235 said:

I have not seen it happen here, but I've seen it several times at other boards. It's a random thing that happens since they will try all links.

password.png

Now isn't this amusing. Do I hear some Search Bots' conspiracy theories? :lol:

Top Bottom