• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3 Remake Spoiler talk (Spoilers inside, duh)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
THIS THREAD IS FULL OF SPOILERS FOR RESIDENT EVIL 3 REMAKE. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

I think many of us would like to have a thread where we can speak freely about the new changes to the game from the original without having to use the spoiler tag. So, here goes.

Which new additions and alterations to the story and gameplay did you like and dislike, respectively?

What surprised you? What made you disappointed? Share your thoughts below and discuss...

Personally, as some of you already now, my response to this game has been rather mixed for various reasons. I think they cut out too many parts, rushed what was left, and in the end failed to make a faithful adaptation of the original.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I LOVED the extended hospital bit, though I do feel like they made the Betas a bit over powered for Carlos' loadout. You really kinda have to stock on grenades to take them down with him or get really good at his counter move. (Which I'm not.)

Speaking of his counter move, I don't really love it. It's nice to show a distinction between playing as Jill and playing as Carlos, however I would have preferred it if Carlos had an evade type move as well. Doesn't have to be the same quick step Jill has but it REALLY threw me off the first time I tried using it. I was expecting to be able to evade and what actually happened really put me in a fix at the time.

I also really like the lab bit. I think they did a really good job of incorporating it into the story as well as making it distinct from the RE2R lab. This might not seem like a big deal to everyone but I appreciate the fact that, with a lab in almost every game, it's going to get harder and harder to make each one different.

The thing I was most disappointed about was probably the Marvin bit. I was hoping we would get to see some interaction with Jill and what we got really felt like a cameo. I've also already went over my Outbreak head canon in another thread so I won't rehash that here - not that I expected them to stick to Outbreak scenarios but still.

I wasn't really surprised by much, simply because I had seen the leaked footage a week before release but I guess one thing that raised my eyebrows a bit was Brad's death.

Contrary to other opinions, I don't dislike the fact that Nemesis doesn't kill him. In fact quite the opposite. I feel like Chickenheart Vickers was actually brave there at the end. He could have very easily taken Jill up on her plan to run together but he chose to stay behind and give her more time to escape.

Respect.

I hate that he was the one who killed Marvin - cause in the end that is why Marvin died. On the other side of that, though, I'm glad they showed him back at the police station where we find him at the beginning of the original RE2. (If you're on Nightmare or Inferno that won't be the last time you see him at the RPD but I was pleased he ended up back there.)

I was also a bit surprised at the extra transformations for Nemesis. It was a pleasant surprise though. I always thought that the final Nemesis boss battle was a little boring so I'm really glad they spiced that up a bit. And I actually found it extremely challenging on hardcore and subsequent difficulties without the use of coins, even with the launcher. I mean he can kill you in one hit and dodging his three hit smack down is rough.

I also liked the twist on the disposal battle. It frustrated me the first ten times but I really liked the changes.

I enjoyed all the character development. Jill's sassiness was on point in my opinion. I also like how she slowly warmed up to Carlos and, by proxy, Tyrell as well.

I feel like this was the best show of partnership between two characters in a Resident Evil game. I know that we normally go on about how Jill and Chris are partners but we never really SAW that until a small DLC in RE5. Barry helped Jill out in RE but I feel like, the way the cutscenes can go, either Jill is pretty self sufficient and you just run into Barry occasionally or Barry is saving you at every turn. RE2 we really don't need to even discuss, Claire and Leon never really see each other, original or remake.

In RE3R Carlos and Jill both take turns helping each other out and I'm glad that they made their partnership seem more balanced.

One thing I REALLY loved was Mikhail basically confronting Nicolai on the train just before Nemesis shows up. I'm glad that someone was like:

"Hey, I see you. You're not slick."

Gotta say I did not really care for the very beginning. I mean don't get me wrong, it was AMAZING on the first playthrough. Very nice intro for the game, however on subsequent playthroughs it's a bit of a trial.

It's not perfect but I'm so enamored of this game I've already platinumed it. I literally stayed up till 2am last night/this morning playing it.

Jonipoon

I also really like the lab bit. I think they did a really good job of incorporating it into the story as well as making it distinct from the RE2R lab. This might not seem like a big deal to everyone but I appreciate the fact that, with a lab in almost every game, it's going to get harder and harder to make each one different.
The length of the lab part surprised me. As I've said in the other thread I enjoy the second half with the hospital and lab more than the first half. I still wish they had stuck with the dead factory though, I liked how dirty and rough it was in the original but here its been replaced with the ultra-modern and sleek NEST2. However the same happened with RE2 remake so I guess they wanted to be consistent and have the remakes be similar in style.

The thing I was most disappointed about was probably the Marvin bit. I was hoping we would get to see some interaction with Jill and what we got really felt like a cameo. I've also already went over my Outbreak head canon in another thread so I won't rehash that here - not that I expected them to stick to Outbreak scenarios but still.
Yeah it was pretty bad. What they showed of Marvin in the trailer was literally all we got in the actual game - talk about being fooled.

Contrary to other opinions, I don't dislike the fact that Nemesis doesn't kill him. In fact quite the opposite. I feel like Chickenheart Vickers was actually brave there at the end. He could have very easily taken Jill up on her plan to run together but he chose to stay behind and give her more time to escape.
True, but both could have been combined. Nemesis could've still had killed Brad, and zombie Brad could have attacked Marvin later. I also feel like it was a missed opportunity to not have Jill facing zombie Brad as well. It would have been a very emotional and heartbreaking moment for Jill having to shoot Brad in self-defense. The scene could have played out like this: Zombie Brad attacks Marvin, Jill rushes in to help and makes the tough choice to put Brad down.

I feel like this was the best show of partnership between two characters in a Resident Evil game. I know that we normally go on about how Jill and Chris are partners but we never really SAW that until a small DLC in RE5. Barry helped Jill out in RE but I feel like, the way the cutscenes can go, either Jill is pretty self sufficient and you just run into Barry occasionally or Barry is saving you at every turn. RE2 we really don't need to even discuss, Claire and Leon never really see each other, original or remake.
Yeah, if there's anything I can't complain about its the chemistry between Jill and Carlos. It's great, but like I've said before I think all the cutscenes are great, its the gameplay that bothers me.

Roku

- I LOVED the hints of Jill's PTSD at the beginning of the game, not only with game files (which really explained her paranoia in depth) but also with little details like the amount of pills spilled beside her bed.

- I also loved the little interactions between Jill and Brad, I liked that he went out of his way to buy her a pizza and leave her a nice note, and the part were he basically sacrificed himself to help Jill? It was perfect imo. I never disliked Brad (I liked him in the originals, and I felt his reactions were realistic given the circumstances), but I did wonder how he ended up being a part of STARS with the way he acted. This game gave me the answer: he's scared, and his first instinct was to run away of town, but he still helped Jill despite that (kinda like in 1, he ran away at the beginning but he did come back for his fellow friends/squad at the end).

- This though... Made me dislike how little he was featured, I expected him to stay around for longer.

- Although I missed the build-up of the original, I loved the entire intro and the way it played right into the one of 3 (1999), this said, I wish Jill wasn't involved in so many explosion all at once? I'm starting to thing that the exposure to the T-Virus in 1 really did have an affect on her and made her more resistant, because I can't see how she could recover from that as quickly as she did, although I guess having a terrifying monster on your heels would do wonders for your motivation.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
- I LOVED the hints of Jill's PTSD at the beginning of the game, not only with game files (which really explained her paranoia in depth) but also with little details like the amount of pills spilled beside her bed.
I forgot to mention this but OMG yes! I'm so glad we get into Jill's head in the beginning and see what life has been like for her since Arklay.

Dream sequence in the beginning and the bit with Carlos in the hospital? Perfection!!

I loved being able to see another aspect of Jill aside from the master of unlocking who just rolls with the punches whether it's escaped convicts, cannibal murderers or a viral outbreak. This vulnerable side to her was refreshing and it makes Carlos' kind, protective nature even more endearing.

I feel like he really helped her out with more than just with Nemesis. I feel like she needed someone she could depend on because literally everyone had left her and she's suffering PTSD and probably not sleeping and Carlos just steps in and fills the dependable teammate slot for her.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I forgot to mention this but OMG yes! I'm so glad we get into Jill's head in the beginning and see what life has been like for her since Arklay.

Dream sequence in the beginning and the bit with Carlos in the hospital? Perfection!!

I loved being able to see another aspect of Jill aside from the master of unlocking who just rolls with the punches whether it's escaped convicts, cannibal murderers or a viral outbreak. This vulnerable side to her was refreshing and it makes Carlos' kind, protective nature even more endearing.

I feel like he really helped her out with more than just with Nemesis. I feel like she needed someone she could depend on because literally everyone had left her and she's suffering PTSD and probably not sleeping and Carlos just steps in and fills the dependable teammate slot for her.
On that note, imma bout to scour the internet for Jill and Carlos fanfics. :biggrin:

I feel like I’ve repeated myself a lot in my spoiler quotes so I won’t really dive too deep into what worked and what didn’t. The entire start of the game was weak and needed to be toned back a bit. Though I did really love exploring Jill’s apartment and seeing all those hints about Jill’s interests and also seeing how much the mansion incident damaged her mentally.

I also enjoyed seeing a bit more interaction with Brad and Jill. You really get a sense of the comradery that the S.T.A.R.S. members had, as well as the respect the boys and girls in blue have for one another.

Did anyone else get the impression that Brad could perhaps still live at home with his elderly mom? :lol: I think he’s a sweetie with good intentions, he’s just not brave like his male counterparts but he’s there when it counts.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

The intro sequence in Jill's apartment was hauntingly good. I loved that we finally got to explore more about Jill's interests and hobbies. Apparently she's very interested in wartime photography and home decoration. :biggrin: It's just a shame the sequence ended the anti-climatic way it did with Nemesis smashing the wall...

I would've done it like this: Extend Brad's phone call with him saying "I gotta go!" and then cutting the call, and Jill says "Hello? Brad?!". And then, instead of Nemesis smashing through the wall the walls shake a bit indicating that Nemesis is nearby - but we don't see him. Then, a rocket launcher hits Jill's apartment window and she flies in the air, right back into her front door. The fire consumes her apartment and she realizes she has to run. We then escape the apartment building kind of the same way, and Nemesis might be heard walking around checking the building - but we won't see him. Then he uses the rocket launcher again and the rubble blocks the path the same way. Then, instead of meeting Brad the first thing we do (which is not realistic) we have to fight our way through some streets of zombies before running into Brad (similar to the original).

D

Deleted member 21244

One question thaf bugs me is how did Brad knew about nemesis? Nemesis just dropped on the city, you even find the cartridge near jill apartment
But brad already know that nemesis is around and after stars member

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
One question thaf bugs me is how did Brad knew about nemesis? Nemesis just dropped on the city, you even find the cartridge near jill apartment
But brad already know that nemesis is around and after stars member

Maybe when the option to “stay and fight the monster” came on the screen, he took off running?:wink:

Even though they should have scripted the beginning better, Brad seemed to be close to Jill’s apartment building so maybe he got a glimpse of Nemesis as he roamed around saying “STARS”.

D

Deleted member 21244

Maybe when the option to “stay and fight the monster” came on the screen, he took off running?:wink:

Even though they should have scripted the beginning better, he did look a little roughed up when Jill ran into him so maybe there was a moment of confrontation beforehand.
So nemesis was dropped near jill apartment but he went after Brad first and casually Brad was near jill apartment? And Brad as soon as he see nemesis he realize that he was after stars member? Possible but strange XD

Mr Sunshine

So nemesis was dropped near jill apartment but he went after Brad first and casually Brad was near jill apartment? And Brad as soon as he see nemesis he realize that he was after stars member? Possible but strange XD

Not casually. Nemesis isn't the only one stalking Jill apparently.. Remember those Iron's men watching Jill? Yep, that's Brad. In Inferno mode you can see that except from the letter he also slipped something else under the pizza..

nudes

Which gives the player a clearer idea of where her PSTD came from

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member

I changed my response after I wrote that because he wasn’t banged up enough to have a full run in with Nemmy. But maybe he actually saw the box drop and Nemesis start to emerge saying STARS. It’s still a grasp but just working with what we got and I suppose not terribly unlikely.

Not casually. Nemesis isn't the only one stalking Jill apparently.. Remember those Iron's men watching Jill? Yep, that's Brad. In Inferno mode you can see that except from the letter he also slipped something else under the pizza..

nudes

Which gives the player a clearer idea of where her PSTD came from

With Chris outta the picture, Brad’s been trying to swoop in with nudes and a $5 pizza.

Roku

Regarding Brad knowing about Nemy but not being killed by him, I think that he might have crossed paths with him, but might have (luckily) lost his attention.

I think that this time around, Nemesis isn't just after STARS, but Jill specifically. In the files she mentions the fact that there are men spying on her from the building across her, and says that Umbrella might send someone after her/to kill her, she even writes that if she gets killed person X (guess, it's Chris) should continue in her place. It's also implied that she's the only member of STARS/police being house arrested. Brad seems to not be considered as dangerous by Irons (and by extend, Umbrella) and has been given more freedom/he isn't being kept under close surveillance (not as much as Jill at least).

So while I think that Nemesis was given the order to kill STARS, I also think that his n.1 priority was to kill Jill, which is also why he got shipped close to her house.

So basically, I think that Brad saw Nemesis while going to Jill's house (she didn't know how bad the situation was, so he probably went to her appartament to warn her about the imminent outbreak and to convince her to run away with him), Nemesis probably saw him, said his line (STAAAARS), but was then distracted by Jill (his main objective) nearby presence, and went after her instead because she was more important. He was keeping Brad for later.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Starting through my second play through again and I’ve reached the part where you’re Carlos in the RPD. It really is a shame that we didn’t get an earlier visit in the game where Jill gets there just before all the carnage. To actually see the police station before things get boarded off in certain areas and for Jill to interact with Marvin.

It kind of annoys me as there is literally a graveyard set up right out front of the RPD but at what point did they have time to burry their comrades?

I just wish they would have expanded on this a bit more. Maybe things started out as a more controlled outbreak days before the events of RE3...? The hospital was experiencing higher volumes of the “sick”, so I suppose the police station also had their crime scene victims to add to that. But even then, I would imagine panic would already ensue with the general public if they had that many fallen police officers and citizens and Jill likely would have been on top of assisting her friends there at the RPD.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@bSTAR_182 I do wish we had seen more of that. I don't think they'll ever revisit Raccoon City in that capacity, though. I would honestly LOVE to visit the city before full outbreak mode.

I keep hoping for a Marvin, narrative based DLC to show us some of that but I'm perpetually disappointed. (Not a horde, raid, mercenaries or ghost mode but an actual mini campaign like LiN or DE.) Experience more of what Marvin went thru in the days leading up to what we eventually see for ourselves.

As for Jill at the RPD during suspension: while her heart would definitely go out to her comrades, I think the files in the remake pretty much sum up what she's been going thru. Between PTSD, her investigation, being left behind by her teammates and being watched by Umbrella, I feel like she has her hands full and did not expect her to be all in with relief efforts.

And if we think back to what Marvin said in the original RE2 way back when, STARS tried to warn everyone and no one believed them. I honestly wouldn't show back up and offer to help after being discredited, suspended and probably talked **** about either. Even without all the other stuff she had going on that's a lot to ask of anyone.

I would have liked to have seen some interaction with Jill and Marvin bit I'm not altogether disappointed that Jill didn't go to the RPD in this game. Honestly, if I was suspended and thinking about leaving town after the rest of my team dipped out on me I would've packed up my desk and taken it home with me, including my lockpick.

And that goes for everyone to be honest. Barry is settling his wife and kids in Canada, Chris is going on vacation for two months, Rebecca isn't even mentioned and Jill is making plans to leave town. In the remake it's even stated that, not only did Irons suspend the whistle blowers but he completely disbanded STARS altogether so why is the room still full of everyone's personal items?

Obviously she didn't pack her desk since it still has the picture of her dog and everything, however I've always found the lockpick a pretty lame reason to revisit the RPD in 3. We spent over half of our time in the station in 2 and I never felt this need to go back.

I did feel like it was more fitting for Carlos and Tyrell to visit there than Jill, though. I feel like it was a more appropriate inclusion then: "Oh ****, need my lockpick."

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
@bSTAR_182 I do wish we had seen more of that. I don't think they'll ever revisit Raccoon City in that capacity, though. I would honestly LOVE to visit the city before full outbreak mode.

I keep hoping for a Marvin, narrative based DLC to show us some of that but I'm perpetually disappointed. (Not a horde, raid, mercenaries or ghost mode but an actual mini campaign like LiN or DE.) Experience more of what Marvin went thru in the days leading up to what we eventually see for ourselves.

As for Jill at the RPD during suspension: while her heart would definitely go out to her comrades, I think the files in the remake pretty much sum up what she's been going thru. Between PTSD, her investigation, being left behind by her teammates and being watched by Umbrella, I feel like she has her hands full and did not expect her to be all in with relief efforts.

And if we think back to what Marvin said in the original RE2 way back when, STARS tried to warn everyone and no one believed them. I honestly wouldn't show back up and offer to help after being discredited, suspended and probably talked **** about either. Even without all the other stuff she had going on that's a lot to ask of anyone.

I would have liked to have seen some interaction with Jill and Marvin bit I'm not altogether disappointed that Jill didn't go to the RPD in this game. Honestly, if I was suspended and thinking about leaving town after the rest of my team dipped out on me I would've packed up my desk and taken it home with me, including my lockpick.

And that goes for everyone to be honest. Barry is settling his wife and kids in Canada, Chris is going on vacation for two months, Rebecca isn't even mentioned and Jill is making plans to leave town. In the remake it's even stated that, not only did Irons suspend the whistle blowers but he completely disbanded STARS altogether so why is the room still full of everyone's personal items?

Obviously she didn't pack her desk since it still has the picture of her dog and everything, however I've always found the lockpick a pretty lame reason to revisit the RPD in 3. We spent over half of our time in the station in 2 and I never felt this need to go back.

I did feel like it was more fitting for Carlos and Tyrell to visit there than Jill, though. I feel like it was a more appropriate inclusion then: "Oh ****, need my lockpick."
Good points actually!

And that would be awesome if the did a DLC like that with Marvin.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I was honestly hoping this picture would have led to something like that and was pretty disappointed when it didn't. Marvin wasn't even a GS character! Not that I liked GS that much but still.:sad:

maxresdefault.jpg

Mr.R

I still didn't finished the game (just had the control back to Jill after Carlos saved her with the vaccine), but I never minded spoilers, so I read the thread xD

What I'm liking more about this game are the characters. I think we've came a long way from the original trilogy in that design. RE3R Jill for me is the best Jill to ever grace a RE game. Better then ogRE3, better than Remake, better than 5 and totally better than the wood planket she is in Revelations. Her sassiness is on point and she's so freaking badass! I mean, she's been beat up all night from explosions and a big monster and she can still snark on "b**ch can't even swim..." (I laughed at that one).

I also liked Carlos a lot. He's very grounded, but retained a bit of his silly side from the RE3, where all the "foxeee ladies loved his accent." His accent is gone though, just like was gone in the original, in the second half of the game xD.

Tyrell also suprised me! I didn't expected to see so much of him and I like his partnership with Carlos (the fact that he calls him "T" might imply they're friends outside the UBCS) and I'm just wondering the horrible way he's gonna die...

I didn't saw Nicholai so much until the part I was in, but his bit on the train was very Nicholai-y to me. He's a cool villain, although I still not totally used to his face...don't know why. It's the only face in this game I'm not used yet. I suppose I'll be seeing more of him by the end.

I do think we could've had a more longer exchange between Jill and Kendo, maybe Jill mentioning his little girl or his wife, something like that. And he could've given Jill a Samurai Edge...just saying. I don't mind Jill not going to the RPD though. This doesn't bother me.

Brad...never thought I would say that, but I think we could've had more of Brad! And although his original death was Nemesis's way to show the player his strenght, by killing a known character, I suppose that wasn't necessary in the RE3R...since he showed his strenght right away. I don't mind the way he died, actually. It was pretty heroic, for a chicken heart. It was also very well thought that he was the one to bite Marvin, which ties well to RE2R.

Mikhail didn't had a very big role in the original and that doesn't change, but I like the few scenes he's in and the fact that he's more aware of what's happening around him (maybe because he wasn't as hurt in the Remake than he was in the original).

Dario...I really don't care.

Anyway, one last thing for now....Carlos's sections surprised me too! I thought it was just some gung-ho guns'a blazing section, but it was not. Carlos is really underpowered compared with Jill and I had to come up with strategies to beat some of his sections (Damn Hunters are dangerous and I like it xD). Lastly...it was cool to face lickers in this game. This was something I didn't knew, even with all the spoilers I saw before playing. xD

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah - these are are really great points. I think the game is overall great. But as a fan of the original game, I obviously am peeved at a few minor inconsistancies.

This game probably has the best RE intro of all time. The Jill apartment is really depressing and gives us an idea of who she has been up until this point and explains why exactly she took so long to escape the city. Then the Nemesis chase in the beginning is so brutal and shocking. If you don't know what is coming, there is a literal surprise at every turn. I mean, it is a little ridiculous at the car scene - but there is so much cool flowing out of the writing that it didn't bother me that much. Jill is a survivor.

This game probably also has my favorite final boss death of all time too. Think about the deaths or the original Nemesis or William Birkin - they are suave and cool and give you a sense of completion. But I'll be damned if killing Nemesis by stuffing that giant lightning laser in his throat and saying, "Next time - Take the hint!" before absolutley destroying the monster and THEN walking through the remains of his bloated, charred corpse. There is so much greatness in this.

Also, there is my new favorite RE line - "Bitch can't even swim."

So much more to say, but I will save some for further discussions!

Top Bottom