• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Silent Hill revival announcement

Ikawaru

A remake of the most popular game in the series is also a great way to reinvigorate interest in the franchise after a long hiatus. Why shouldn't they play it safe before delving into new territory?

I will have to disagree with one point here. The most popular game in the franchise was in fact the original 'Silent Hill', which sold 2 million copies as opposed to 'Silent Hill 2' which sold 1 million copies. 'Silent Hill 2' is the most beloved by the fans so it speaks volumes that they are remaking a fan favorite rather than trying necro a corpse that outsold it. My theory is that 'Silent Hill 2' was ahead of it's time in some ways and could reach out to a broader audience in 2024 especially with modernized gameplay features. All factors considered 'Silent Hill 2' remake could be one of the most significant titles in gaming, possibly even bigger than RE2R if everything goes well.

'Silent Hill' the 1st was a fantastic game but requires a high level of intelligence to fully grasp because the plot is very abstract (abstract thinking is the best marker for intelligence). The only reason it did so well was because it had gameplay like 'Resident Evil' but was much scarier and little to do with the plot ( father losing daughter is a great grabber to keep the player motivated at the beginning of the game but after that the average player became confused as to what is going on).

Also, reading these pages demonstrates volumes about Teen Tyrant: he certainly lives up to his name! He acts like a teen and tries to be a tyrant! (A weak tyrant but you can certainly smell the effort there, haha).

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I will have to disagree with one point here. The most popular game in the franchise was in fact the original 'Silent Hill', which sold 2 million copies as opposed to 'Silent Hill 2' which sold 1 million copies. 'Silent Hill 2' is the most beloved by the fans so it speaks volumes that they are remaking a fan favorite rather than trying necro a corpse that outsold it.
Yes and no. The first Silent Hill sold really well in Japan, but the second one did not. The second one however did really well overseas, and this trend continued for every game. In Japan, the series has never been that popular (besides the first game which was a huge hit), so for that reason it makes sense that they remade SH2 first because the Western market is simply their biggest market when it comes to Silent Hill. Of course there is a small but loyal fan base in Japan, but it's nowhere near as big as in North America and Europe.

Resident Evil however is really popular in Japan (as Biohazard).

Ikawaru

Yeah Silent Hill 2 definitely seems, from what I heard, to have more Western (intuitive) themes, and as popular as it was, never really exploded in popularity like Resident Evil on both sides of the pond. More popular in the West =/= very popular in general. I really hope this game goes well and they expand on the series' potential. Who knows what could happen going forward. *Fingers crossed*.

Last edited:
Top Bottom