• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Movies: Why I Love The Series So Much.

Rammlied

Alright I'm not here to argue with members so don't worry :p. I'm here to explain my Reasons why i love the movies so much.

Storyline

What is the main component behind the Resident Evil games? Umbrella is, if it wasn't for that Corp being around, the series would not exist. So is Umbrella in both the games and movies? Yes of course they are. In the game series what do they focus on? Wesker and Umbrella. The Two important factors behind the game. The characters just fit with the storyline. Now in the movie what do they Focus on the most? Alice and Umbrella. What everyone is so used to is the fact that the games jump from Characters to Characters through out the series. While in the movies they have only one character they focus on all the time while keeping Camos from other Game Characters small. You need to look at Alice as a whole, she is somewhat like Wesker, now before you freak out let me explain. They both work for Umbrella right? Right, they both bond with the T-Virus right? Right, they both get Super Human Strength right? Right. So you can see where I'm going with this. So instead of in the movie of having another Villain tagging along side with Umbrella, they just made the choice of adding a Hero instead, sure you argue the fact that the Hero's in the games can count towards this. While i do agree with you, but i like the fact of having a Main Character be in the whole series, kinda like if you look at God Of War for example with having one character in all 3 chapters. Now of course until now of course with the 4th installment coming out Sept 10th 2010. This is why i love the storyline in the movies so much, there are a few Similarity's that Paul wanted to add in well at least i think he wanted to.

Alice

Now i wanna talk about Alice for a min here. There are fans who enjoy the movie, and really is fond of Milla Jovovich playing Alice. I think Alice is a great character to have in the movies and I'm glad they stuck with her and didn't kill her off in the series Completely. Now i know what your thinking, they should of stuck with the Main characters from the series and not just put them in as extra, while i agree with this but you need to look at it from the movies Perspective. If they would of took that route with multiple characters. What if the actor couldn't return to the next film, let's say Chris for example. They bring him into the first film with Jill, and then say in the forth film which is going off RE5, they couldn't get the actor that Played Chris again, fans would be ****ed and even none fans who enjoy the movies would be upset to see that actor not returning for that roll. Anyways i hope you understand what i mean by that :p. I mean look at the films, Alice is played by the same actress all the way through. Carlos, Clare, L.J, K-mart all played by the same actress in Apocalypse and Extinction. K-mart is returning in Afterlife and played by the same Actress. WOW sorry got side tracked. Alice is a great character to have into the films just for the Sheer fact that it really shows just how bad Umbrella is, they made her into the Perfect Weapon. While in the games they tried with the Tyrant and Failed, they tried with Nemesis and failed, but in the movies they managed to make Alice the perfect weapon. It fits with what Umbrella is trying to do with there Research, well i mean at least in the movies that is. When fans bitch about her having Super Human powers, why is that such a big deal? I mean **** look at Wesker, why not bitch about him too?. Oh that's right you can't cause he is the Main Villain in the games. So he doesn't count. You need to open your mind and look at what the storyline is trying to do. There making it there own RE series, but keeping True to the matter at hand.

Final Thoughts

Now i know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm just sharing my reasons why i love the movies so much, they are not that bad if you really pay attentions to what the movies are trying to achieve. While it's like i said, the movies are Different to the games but the main problem at hand is still in the picture. People are seeming to forget that. There to use to the games and i understand that, and i agree but i look at the movies as if the game series Never Existed. Sure people will say well then resident evil would be crap and no one would play the games if they were like the movies. Nah not for me, Umbrella and the characters behind both the games and movies are just amazing to me. I love the story that crosses between the characters in the game, and i love the story that connects to the characters in the movies.

Thank you for reading my rant, and i hope you can understand my reasons why i love the movies so much and please don't flame me too hard.

T-Virus Injected

Alice reminds me of a Protagonist Female version of Wesker. I just wish they used Nemesis better along with some of the other RE licenses entities.

I do enjoy the movies though don't get me wrong. But you have to go in as a RE fan knowing that this wont be exactly the RE video games. Just splashes here and there.

Rammlied

T-Virus Injected;71525 said:
Alice reminds me of a Protagonist Female version of Wesker. I just wish they used Nemesis better along with some of the other RE licenses entities.

I do enjoy the movies though don't get me wrong. But you have to go in as a RE fan knowing that this wont be exactly the RE video games. Just splashes here and there.

Yappers. Just as long as they stuck to the Whole umbrella factor which is there in the movies. That is all that matters man.

T-Virus Injected

Same here. as long as long as the didn't change the company to "Parachute Corp" or something I'm happy. Alice's badassness (sp?) reminds me of Claire though. so I always thought that's who she was portraying her after. Maybe Ada now after the put Claire in the movie in Extinction.

Rammlied

T-Virus Injected;71531 said:
Same here. as long as long as the didn't change the company to "Parachute Corp" or something I'm happy. Alice's badassness (sp?) reminds me of Claire though. so I always thought that's who she was portraying her after. Maybe Ada now after the put Claire in the movie in Extinction.

Personality change, interesting i like that. Adds a twist to it, if you know what i mean.

Marksman

I saw the movies before playing any of the games, so I try to think I got a movie perspective on them. I think they are good films (then again I like all films with zombies in =P) and the characters are good, I have played RE 5 now and since hearing Wesker will be in Afterlife I think they can only get better! Although the executioner is abit strange and will the plagas fight with the zombies? (that would be soooo cool!) Maybe a hybrid zombie plagas thing o.0 hurrah! Maybe caphalo and duvalia (worm head thing) will be in it which will make it sick. Taking monsters from the games and putting them in can only make them better to gamer perspective really... Without playing RE5 you can't compare I suppose...

Just my cookie's worth!

Rammlied

Marksman;71564 said:
I saw the movies before playing any of the games, so I try to think I got a movie perspective on them. I think they are good films (then again I like all films with zombies in =P) and the characters are good, I have played RE 5 now and since hearing Wesker will be in Afterlife I think they can only get better! Although the executioner is abit strange and will the plagas fight with the zombies? (that would be soooo cool!) Maybe a hybrid zombie plagas thing o.0 hurrah! Maybe caphalo and duvalia (worm head thing) will be in it which will make it sick. Taking monsters from the games and putting them in can only make them better to gamer perspective really... Without playing RE5 you can't compare I suppose...

Just my cookie's worth!

Well since the actor who play's Wesker, Confirmed Uroboros being in the movie, i think the Zombies also get infected with the Uroboros virus, making it a Hybrid. Plus i believe there is going to be a huge twist to the story in the movies. Cause we don't really know where Alice really is from. She was just there with no background story of her at all. So what if, Wesker made her. I mean it's something to Consider right?.

Awaii-Lynne

momma cosplayer
Rammlied;71581 said:
Plus i believe there is going to be a huge twist to the story in the movies. Cause we don't really know where Alice really is from. She was just there with no background story of her at all. So what if, Wesker made her. I mean it's something to Consider right?.

you know...I never thought of that.

Okay, so here's my beef with the movie, I didnt like the first one (obviously) but to me, it got a little better in the 2nd one, because they actually put parts from the game in the movie, and the actress who played Jill actually did a pretty good job, so I was actually looking forward to RE3 until I saw who was playing Claire and that Jill was not returning. Ali (Larter) was a horrible Claire, she didnt act like her at all, and she just...made Claire look so...whiney and bitchy to me.

As for Alice, I dont hate her, and I dont love her. I'm not saying I hate Mila (cant spell her last name, so not even going to attempt :p), because I honestly LOVE her movies! (I own most movies she's in). I just kinda wish they would have made her an actual game character, but I do agree, I like the fact that they kept her during all the movies, and didnt kill her off simply because they could or whatever. I dont hate her, because she is like a female version of Wesker...

I'm going to watch RE4 I'm just not going to go out and spend $10 to see it in the theater (I didnt seen RE2 or 3 in the theater, so why this one?), I'll wait to watch it on Netflix.

Rammlied

Awaii-Lynne;71656 said:
you know...I never thought of that.

Okay, so here's my beef with the movie, I didnt like the first one (obviously) but to me, it got a little better in the 2nd one, because they actually put parts from the game in the movie, and the actress who played Jill actually did a pretty good job, so I was actually looking forward to RE3 until I saw who was playing Claire and that Jill was not returning. Ali (Larter) was a horrible Claire, she didnt act like her at all, and she just...made Claire look so...whiney and bitchy to me.

As for Alice, I dont hate her, and I dont love her. I'm not saying I hate Mila (cant spell her last name, so not even going to attempt :p), because I honestly LOVE her movies! (I own most movies she's in). I just kinda wish they would have made her an actual game character, but I do agree, I like the fact that they kept her during all the movies, and didnt kill her off simply because they could or whatever. I dont hate her, because she is like a female version of Wesker...

I'm going to watch RE4 I'm just not going to go out and spend $10 to see it in the theater (I didnt seen RE2 or 3 in the theater, so why this one?), I'll wait to watch it on Netflix.

Very well said :D. Maybe the Full trailer will change your mind.

Rammlied

Awaii-Lynne;71658 said:
I've seen the trailer that was posted on here, is there another one out?

The one you watched is a Teaser Trailer not a Full Length trailer.

Awaii-Lynne

momma cosplayer
ah. that makes sense as to why I havent seen it. lol. Well then, I shall look out for it!

P.S. LOVE YOUR ICON! lol

Mr Sunshine

Actually, I start to like this movie!

A fight between Alice and Wesker really excites me and Chris looks good too! :D

It can't be worse than Extinction after all! ;)

Jlackleon

Martian Ambassador
Rammlied;71521 said:
Alright I'm not here to argue with members so don't worry :p. I'm here to explain my Reasons why i love the movies so much.

Storyline

What is the main component behind the Resident Evil games? Umbrella is, if it wasn't for that Corp being around, the series would not exist. So is Umbrella in both the games and movies? Yes of course they are. In the game series what do they focus on? Wesker and Umbrella. The Two important factors behind the game. The characters just fit with the storyline. Now in the movie what do they Focus on the most? Alice and Umbrella. What everyone is so used to is the fact that the games jump from Characters to Characters through out the series. While in the movies they have only one character they focus on all the time while keeping Camos from other Game Characters small. You need to look at Alice as a whole, she is somewhat like Wesker, now before you freak out let me explain. They both work for Umbrella right? Right, they both bond with the T-Virus right? Right, they both get Super Human Strength right? Right. So you can see where I'm going with this. So instead of in the movie of having another Villain tagging along side with Umbrella, they just made the choice of adding a Hero instead, sure you argue the fact that the Hero's in the games can count towards this. While i do agree with you, but i like the fact of having a Main Character be in the whole series, kinda like if you look at God Of War for example with having one character in all 3 chapters. Now of course until now of course with the 4th installment coming out Sept 10th 2010. This is why i love the storyline in the movies so much, there are a few Similarity's that Paul wanted to add in well at least i think he wanted to.

Alice

Now i wanna talk about Alice for a min here. There are fans who enjoy the movie, and really is fond of Milla Jovovich playing Alice. I think Alice is a great character to have in the movies and I'm glad they stuck with her and didn't kill her off in the series Completely. Now i know what your thinking, they should of stuck with the Main characters from the series and not just put them in as extra, while i agree with this but you need to look at it from the movies Perspective. If they would of took that route with multiple characters. What if the actor couldn't return to the next film, let's say Chris for example. They bring him into the first film with Jill, and then say in the forth film which is going off RE5, they couldn't get the actor that Played Chris again, fans would be ****ed and even none fans who enjoy the movies would be upset to see that actor not returning for that roll. Anyways i hope you understand what i mean by that :p. I mean look at the films, Alice is played by the same actress all the way through. Carlos, Clare, L.J, K-mart all played by the same actress in Apocalypse and Extinction. K-mart is returning in Afterlife and played by the same Actress. WOW sorry got side tracked. Alice is a great character to have into the films just for the Sheer fact that it really shows just how bad Umbrella is, they made her into the Perfect Weapon. While in the games they tried with the Tyrant and Failed, they tried with Nemesis and failed, but in the movies they managed to make Alice the perfect weapon. It fits with what Umbrella is trying to do with there Research, well i mean at least in the movies that is. When fans bitch about her having Super Human powers, why is that such a big deal? I mean **** look at Wesker, why not bitch about him too?. Oh that's right you can't cause he is the Main Villain in the games. So he doesn't count. You need to open your mind and look at what the storyline is trying to do. There making it there own RE series, but keeping True to the matter at hand.

Final Thoughts

Now i know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'm just sharing my reasons why i love the movies so much, they are not that bad if you really pay attentions to what the movies are trying to achieve. While it's like i said, the movies are Different to the games but the main problem at hand is still in the picture. People are seeming to forget that. There to use to the games and i understand that, and i agree but i look at the movies as if the game series Never Existed. Sure people will say well then resident evil would be crap and no one would play the games if they were like the movies. Nah not for me, Umbrella and the characters behind both the games and movies are just amazing to me. I love the story that crosses between the characters in the game, and i love the story that connects to the characters in the movies.

Thank you for reading my rant, and i hope you can understand my reasons why i love the movies so much and please don't flame me too hard.

My thoughts EXACTLY. Good to see someone else on this forum that loves the movies too. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to write this.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Rammlied;71521 said:
Alice

Well, going by the games - Wesker is a canon character. Until they throw Alice into a game, she is not and that's why people complain about Alice and not about Wesker.

My problem with Alice is the fact that she's the perfect example of a Mary-Sue, which is a very badly written fanfiction character. I didn't mind Alice in the first movie - I actually liked her, but it was when she got her super powers that I couldn't take her seriously as a character anymore. A Mary Sue is the 'perfect' girl; a drop-dead gorgeous young woman who has had something incredibly horrible happen to her, but she ends becoming the self-sacrificing hero of the story and she's better in everyway (prettier, fights better, etc) than the actual canon characters themselves. Oh ya - not only does she have super powers too, but she also falls in love with one of the leading canon men. Alice fits this description almost word-for-word. This is my problem with her - she's not a very meaty character; she's got no substance, like I said she's a classic example of a Mary Sue and those are just boring, horribly written characters, at least from a literary perspective. If Alice had some kind of flaw I'd like her more, but she's flawless and that's what shows that Paul Anderson is inept at writing well-rounded characters. All well-written characters have layer upon layer to unravel. The only thing layered about Alice is her hair.

Personally, I don't think her character is as important for the storyline (to exhibit the corruption of Umbrella), as she is for the marketability of the movies themselves. I think it comes down to the fact that Milla Jovovich or any pretty young thing kicking ass will sell well at the box-office. Which is to be expected for a movie based on the RE games, but I think they took it too far by giving her those powers.

Rammlied

La Femme Fatale;71814 said:
Well, going by the games - Wesker is a canon character. Until they throw Alice into a game, she is not and that's why people complain about Alice and not about Wesker.

My problem with Alice is the fact that she's the perfect example of a Mary-Sue, which is a very badly written fanfiction character. I didn't mind Alice in the first movie - I actually liked her, but it was when she got her super powers that I couldn't take her seriously as a character anymore. A Mary Sue is the 'perfect' girl; a drop-dead gorgeous young woman who has had something incredibly horrible happen to her, but she ends becoming the self-sacrificing hero of the story and she's better in everyway (prettier, fights better, etc) than the actual canon characters themselves. Oh ya - not only does she have super powers too, but she also falls in love with one of the leading canon men. Alice fits this description almost word-for-word. This is my problem with her - she's not a very meaty character; she's got no substance, like I said she's a classic example of a Mary Sue and those are just boring, horribly written characters, at least from a literary perspective. If Alice had some kind of flaw I'd like her more, but she's flawless and that's what shows that Paul Anderson is inept at writing well-rounded characters. All well-written characters have layer upon layer to unravel. The only thing layered about Alice is her hair.

Personally, I don't think her character is as important for the storyline (to exhibit the corruption of Umbrella), as she is for the marketability of the movies themselves. I think it comes down to the fact that Milla Jovovich or any pretty young thing kicking ass will sell well at the box-office. Which is to be expected for a movie based on the RE games, but I think they took it too far by giving her those powers.

Oh you won't have to worry about that in Afterlife. I look at her in a complete different way but don't get me wrong i for sure see where your coming from and i agree but just in my eye's i don't see her that way. I see her as a Female clone of Wesker. Just sitting on the Main role for the movie.

Iced Digger

La Femme Fatale;71814 said:

Yeah, the whole Alice superpower thing is pretty lame... I mean, if she like destroys Wesker in this movie I won't be happy that's for sure. i mean i understand what there trying to do, the whole "not copy the game" but come on... it's a joke.

Top Bottom