• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Extinction Reviews: Caution, spoilers

5.0 Pony

Hey guys Im new, but i wanted to see what other RE Fans thought about the movie, here are my major thoughts...

Heres a nerds review on the movie, aka mine.

Im a big RE Fan so I was dissapointed for a lot of reasons.

1.)Claire redfield has no business being in this movie as a heroin of all the poor people, she was just placed in there for nostalgia, and it was irritating. No mention on the STARS or Chris Redfield or anything was annoying. Ali Larter is hot tho.

2.) Wesker being in the film was pretty sweet but he didnt have that big of a roll, they needed to do more background on him before making him a big name character, he is a bad ass but he was also the STARS captain originally, no mention of that or anything, not enough story behind him.

3.) El Jay got bit and was fine for like 4 days...people were changing within minutes of getting bitten originally.

4.) Why does carlos need to tip the truck over and blow it up, why not drive around and plow all the zombies? And him blowing the truck up doesnt allow for the zombies to get into the huge gate that they ran down? And how the hell did they fit 30 people in a tiny little helicopter?

5.) Enough with the freaky little girls that are the computers. Jesus.

6.) I like the whole antidote thing with Alice, but whats with the clones? She is going to take an army of people to the Umbrelala Corporation instead of making a cure?

Basically, while entertaining the whole series kind of bums me out and its neat they try and throw people from the game in there, but its irritating that it is not executed correctly.

I dont know how many people have read the books by SD Perry , but part of the movie reminded me of Caliban Cove. The doctor experimenting with enhancing the virus isvery similar to this concept, turning them into an army, even putting them in a crate like tey did in the movie happens in the book. Im wondering what the author thinks of that.

Overall it was fun to watch, its just a little dissapointing to anyone who knows the whole story.

JP

Yeah I gotta admit, I wish it was was kinda like the games more. I find the game story more interesting than the movie storyline.

theendoftheroad

[quote author=5.0 Pony link=topic=66.msg426#msg426 date=1190829357]
3.) El Jay got bit and was fine for like 4 days...people were changing within minutes of getting bitten originally.
[/quote]

Thats the same as in the games though. Jill was fine for 2 days after she was infected and the rest of the city were changing in minutes.

5.0 Pony

True, Carlos was changing really fast in the movie too, he was all white and stuff before the truck blew up.

Overall the movie has a decent story line, it just bothers me when they try to mix the two. I can see why they do it, they could just do a better job of it.

JP

Huh, mayb it just depends on the perrson,for how long it takes 4 the virus to kill them.

Sephiroxas

I was ganna say that. Maybe it depends on the persons State of mind, and will power before they change.

Carlos (Was that his name?) Knew he was dead so maybe that's why he changed so fast.
While that other guy didn't want it to be true and tried to hide the fact.

I liked the movies.
I think that they're fine the way they are. Though people think they should be based off the video games more, that's their opinion.
Like I've said before, the director asked for the resident evil idea nad made it into a movie. A sort of Fan Fiction, if you will.

Wesker was Weskery.
The main bad guy reminded me of U3 from Resi 4. Except without the four legs.
I liked the movie, seemed a bit short though.

The end made me happy. :D Millions of Alice's. <3 I'd love to see that.

5.0 Pony

I agree, I like the movies, those are just the list of things that irked me. Still an awesome movie and i will be buying it ASAP. :) I think the will power thing makes a lot of sense you know. Kind of like when youre sick and you want to get better.

Overall great movies and stuff. Wesker was definitely weskery i just wish theyd mention Stars more. 8)

well i haven't seen the movie yet but to me it seems there are a few surprises in the movie...but still i think they should remake the whole entire series because i'd prefer it to come out on the same story line as the game... :p

PunkMaister

Well the current movie continuity will never satisffy the purists and truth be told the RE storyline deserves to be told perhaps in an epic miniseries. Having said that I have to say that of all the RE movies this one is the best one. It does deliver far more in the game atmosphere and elements than any of it's predecesors! I loved the scene with the crows. And the superzombies and the tyrant were terrific and it had gore galore! ;D Loved the exploding heads as the zombies were shot!! Now thst was very REesque as well.

I wish Wesker would have had a larger role but it is obvious that they are saving him for a 4th film him being the only equal to Alice in the whole planet.

A solid 7 out of 10! :)

Nicholai

Well, i loved RE Apocalypse, some chara from the game, story good.
But i dislike the 1.
Extinction bad, the good thing is that Wesker appears, otherwise, the story is ****, i wished that Extinction take place in Spencer Mansion, the end of Apocalypse made me think that.

verguit

Part 1 was good, but it took a while for me to like it after that it went down hill, from the beginning it looked to me like a failure, taking bits from the games and making there own ideas was bad, Capcom didn't like George A Rememo's script but i recon his idea may have been what was needed. Getting a director who never did a zombie film in his life to make the most antcipated film of all time wasen't a bad idea but more thought would have been good. The worst mistake was not having S.T.A.R.S members as the main characters, (Alice) would have been better as an experiment from the beginning rather then the main character. To those not seen Extinction yet, if you don't think of it as RE then you will like it better.

Nicholai

Yay well, the best thing would have been that Geoge A Romero make RE's movie.
All of his movie was great especially Zombie.
With Apocalypse, Anderson did a good movie, story in Raccoon, J.Valentine, UBCS, and of course Nemesis.
But Exctinction don't respect the universe of Resident Evil, only Tyrant and Wesker. Claire in the movie is not like in the game.

JP

Yes!!! Thank you to all the people who agree with me! I have read George A Romero's script for his idea of RE and, quite frankly, I would have been more satisfied with that. Exactly, why get someone who hasn't done a zombie movie in their life instead of someone who is the king of zombie movies. It would have been 10 times better because Romero actually kept in line with the RE universe (except for the fact that Chris isn't a Native American). Not saying that this movie was a bad zombie movie, it just wasn't what it should've been, RE. And now the sequel is gonna take it even more out of line. Ugh ::)

alonecrow

Yes, why don't they make George A. Romero as the director??
I think the movie will be better.
The last one is rather disappointing for me...
Only Wesker character who satisfied me...
Claire just looks like a side person in the movie with not much significant role...
Wonder how the next movie will be... Disappointing or surpass the previous ones?
By the way, Dr. Isacc remind me of William Birkin..

Ferdinand

I have never played any Resident Evil games so I don't know how the movies compare to the games. I love all of the Resident Evil movies seriously Alice and the actress who plays her (Milla Jovovich) are both my heroines! I wish people would stop comparing movies to video games even if the movies are based on games for three reasons 1. I like movies more than video games 2. Movies are NOT watched for the sake of games 3. It is harder to make a movie than a video game. Since I love R.E. movies so deeply and because movies are better than games I will probably never play an R.E. game!

alonecrow

well, well..
we have a really movie lover here..
[quote author=Ferdinand link=topic=66.msg824#msg824 date=1194600272]
I have never played any Resident Evil games so I don't know how the movies compare to the games. I love all of the Resident Evil movies seriously Alice and the actress who plays her (Milla Jovovich) are both my heroines! I wish people would stop comparing movies to video games even if the movies are based on games for three reasons 1. I like movies more than video games 2. Movies are NOT watched for the sake of games 3. It is harder to make a movie than a video game. Since I love R.E. movies so deeply and because movies are better than games I will probably never play an R.E. game!
[/quote]

okay, first thing first..
the movie is based on the games, whether you like it or not, so it's natural if we compared to the game, cause the movie story is originally based on the game.
your reasons...:
1. well, that's you. but there's people who enjoy video games more than movies..for me, i like them both.
2. maybe you should know that Paul W.S. Anderson is the fan of the game, and he make the movies as an honour to the game. and i watched the movie because i wanted to know how the complex and complicated story of the game can be translated well to the screen.
3. that's not quiet true. some games are harder to make than movies. Resident Evil is only one of them. Between the movies and the games, i think they're both equal.

you never know what it feels like watching a movie based on the game, until you play the game by yourself.
beside, we compare the movie, because we love resident evil and want it to be the best.
still, it's your opinion.

Sephiroxas

[quote author=Ferdinand link=topic=66.msg824#msg824 date=1194600272]
[/quote]

I agree with you on the comparing Video games to movie things. Like I've said SO many times before. It's the IDEA of resident evil that the movies are based after. No one ever said "resident evil movies! They're ganna be JUST like the games" But people still do it anyway "eh, I didn't like it cause it wasn't like the game".."eh..It's supposed to be like that, it's it's own thing, with it's own story line, and cameo's of Game characters to make us game players happy." But I wouldn't say the movies are better than the games. Resident evil 4 will always hold a special place in my heart. 8)

Nicholai

[quote author=Sephiroxas link=topic=66.msg826#msg826 date=1194626815]Resident evil 4 will always hold a special place in my heart. 8)
[/quote]
Hmmm, yeah, the UFO of resident evil..

[quote author=Ferdinand link=topic=66.msg824#msg824 date=1194600272]I will probably never play an R.E. game![/quote]
You should play one of the game, i'm sure you'll really enjoy it.
Try.

WhatGreatFun

I remember reading on a website/forum somewhere that a movie was made from Resident Evil game cutscenes (including ones that didn't make it into the game). This was probably an unauthorized film and it seemed that it was playable on a PlayStation. Does this ring any bells with anyone? I'd like to take a look at it.

alonecrow

i don't know about that movie..
maybe the others know about it.
but it's probably unauthorized or fan made..

Top Bottom