• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil 7 Expectations

Spyder

La Vita Nuova
I think that people forget sometimes that RE started out as more of an art project. They could do whatever they wanted, and didn't even expect there to be enough momentum for a number 2. But for as many people that praised it, there were people that complained about tank controls, weird angles, etc (which I think most people agree is what made the series so unique). To get the budget to make newer, bigger, better games, they need investors. And for these investors to want to put their money into the game, they have to be assured that they will make money back, and that people will buy the game. So they can't necessarily do whatever they want and hope just for the cult following anymore. There is a TON of pressure to sell to as many people as possible, and make a game that a larger (fps these days) audience will take a second look at. So while I agree that the series was best in it's earliest days, and this is probably the direction they will go (considering now everyone is ****ed off and threatening to stop buying), I think we have to give Capcom a lot more credit for doing the difficult job that they ARE doing, under pressure of the shareholders and the video game industry these days. It's tough, and the game has been evolving for 18 YEARS!! That's pretty awesome. Things change a lot in 18 years.

InfiniteRocketLauncher

Itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food.
I would love emphasis on survival horror again. They don't have to abandon the action (oh but how I would love it if they did ). Lost in Nightmares was so nostalgic. Even the way the doors opened gave me a uneasy feeling and when you lose your weapons, using the traps......NOW THAT'S SURVIVAL HORROR! If Capcom can take what they did with LIN and put it into a possible 7 , I think that may satisfy me. Oh and no guns for the enemies. I hated that the most about 4 and 5. I don't want to take cover and get into a firefight. Give em axes, chainsaws, pitchforks, machetes, anchors, what have you. NO GUNS!

weskerondope

spyder has a good point
i think the people who complaign about the fixed cameras and tank controlls are not worthy of playing these great old games
who are they to to bash our favorite series when they are not even fans (they probably just downloaded the games for free anyway)
even worse is that crapcom now rewards them instead of us, if it wasnt for people like us then there would have never been a resident evil 2, crapcom owes us, resident evil does not only belong to them, it belongs to us just as much, maybe even more
yet they are so interested in satisfying these cod players with resident evil revelations and 6
i dont see the point, resident evil 3.5 looks awesome, why not finish it and change the storyline and change whatever stuff to make it work?
maybe im saying the same things over and over again, sorry for that, but thats just how i am

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
I've been playing 'Survival Horror" games recently and apparently a key factor that makes the game 'Scary' is the speed it takes it in. The games are VERY VERY slow. Like Re was in the past. While I myself find these games mediocre at best since a majority of the scares are just jump scares 1HK enemies (Which I despise with a passion)
Takes away from it. Re3 while not my favorite had something I enjoyed. Nemesis was NOT a One hit Kill all the time or ever unless you screwed up bad. I hate those is Horror games (Mainly Dead Space) Since a lot of them recently are just jump scares with a MAJOR player advantage since they spawn in your face and you have literally a millisecond of reaction time.

This is on personal opinion... but what if they had options like in the WD series?
Like the most common is saving a person's life.
What direction you must take.

And they should take a cue from MGS with speed as well. It's players choice. Learn the ropes. take the game nice and slow. After mastering the controls and tricks speed run it. Basically like the old RE formula it seems.

That's just my take on what they should do though. Feel free to agree or disagree.
If you disagree, don't even speak to me about it the thread's right here.

weskerondope

i think you have a good point shinigame
slow pacing works great for horror games (and most of all horror films)
another thing i allways liked about the old resident evil games was the enviroments
like in resident evil 2 and 3, those enviroments where on one hand unrealistic and over the top in some ways
but on the other hand there was something familiar about them, something i could relate too
and it feels like every single room in the police station/spencer mansion was unique
in resident evil 5 and revelations it just feels like running through the same room over and over again
which is ironic cause that was what you did in the old games, yet it worked there for some reason
playing resident evil 5 and revelations feels like one of those old flinstones cartoons where the backgrounds just repeats over and over again whenever fred is running away from something
mostly i just think the enviroments in the new games are ugly and cant be related too
in the older games the environments looked comfortable and luxurious yet creepy at the same time

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
As for the slow-paced thing: They tried that with Leon's campaign in RE6, but did everything wrong that can possibly be done wrong, unfortunately. So if "slow-paced" in the future means being forced to walk for no reason when theoretically you could also run, having to sit idly in a car that runs over zombies for five minutes without the possibility to skip the sequence, being presented with a story that doesn't really get started until halfway through the game, and fighting an endless boss fight just to make the game longer, I'd rather go without that next time.

Top Bottom