• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Resident Evil 7 Expectations

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
I realise this is probably really premature, however there's nothing wrong with us fans discussing what possibilities could come our way in the shape of resident evil 7.
Use this thread to discuss ideas, wants and needs, potential cast line up, do's and don'ts etc.
i'll get the ball rolling by saying, i don't want the main character to have a partner that's there throughout the game, bring back the suspense of playing alone, desperate for ammo, in a terrifying environment, there's nothing worse than coming up against a towering enemy only to have it shot down in a matter of seconds by your partner. I want fear in the next resident evil, i wan't to be scared going around every corner, i want creepy music, dark settings, a cameo appearance from barry. yeah you heard me, barry.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
I don't have such a problem with a co-op partner, as long as they're smart.

What I want most of all is to see old characters back. Such as Claire, and Jill. In fact, it would be awesome if those two could be partners.

Also bring in some details about other characters, such as, Carlos, Steve, Rebbecca, and Barry.

aintnoscrub

Premium
I don't have such a problem with a co-op partner, as long as they're smart.

What I want most of all is to see old characters back. Such as Claire, and Jill. In fact, it would be awesome if those two could be partners.

Also bring in some details about other characters, such as, Carlos, Steve, Rebbecca, and Barry.

a partner has to he human Controlled othvwise it's unbearable LOL Claire and Jill would be a nice Mix as there histories are so entwined.

AgentZero

Exactly. They have so much in common, but have never been together in a game. Capcom just always keeps the same boring partners.

aintnoscrub

Premium
Exactly. They have so much in common, but have never been together in a game. Capcom just always keeps the same boring partners.
there may be some method behind their madness, but i doubt that. although saying that, two strong female leads may be a good venture moving forward, get rid of steriod chris and have jill and claire face certain doom.

AgentZero

Oh man, for some reason that just gave me a great fan fic idea.

"When Chris gives his sister and girlfriend Steroids!"

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Characters - Leon and Jill
Support Characters - Ada and Jake

Now, don't make it Co-Op. Do what they did in the Original RE games. Characters are working together, and know of each others existence, but do not partner up for almost any of the game on the same battlefield. Then, Jake can be the support character for Jill, that way we can get a little more insight into what he's doing now, considering how Ada's story ended in RE6, and have Ada herself as Leon's support character, for Obvious reasons. Throw in explainers about Barry and Rebecca, but explaining where they are, and no need to really bring them back per se.
Use Alex Wesker as the story plot, but not necessarily as the main villain. Give it SOME sort of major plot twist. Something the fans will never see coming. Hell, Kill off Jill even...I really do think RE needs to kill off more Main characters.

Bring back Green Herbs. That spray on stuff from 5 and 6 is a cool concept, but they should reserve it for First Aid Spray. Make it horror as well. I mean, learn a thing or two from Silent Hill: Homecoming. You can have action AND horror.

aintnoscrub

Premium
i agree with everything except for the amount of characters it only really needs to have one or 2 characters, with very little support characters. the more support you have, the more "light at the end of the tunnel" there is. keep it bleak, keep the player thinking there isn't all smiles round the corner. the one thing i didn't like about 6 was the amount of involment the characters had. remember resident evil 1, 1 playable character at a time, the support character made an appearance perhaps 5 times in the whole game. that's were horror really lies.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
You can take my word for it... they're NOT going to change the action shooter formula if anything they'll just try to staple it with some other new gimmicks like RE:Revelations.

If there is going to be a RE 7 its probably going to something like RE 6(or worse).

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
My thought still stands that they can make more money and sell more if they do the Re5 Beta as a separate game.

But instead of Chris they could use the new characters as the main cast.

Jake, Helena, Sherry hell bring back Sheva. I liked her a lot.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
My thought still stands that they can make more money and sell more if they do the Re5 Beta as a separate game.

But instead of Chris they could use the new characters as the main cast.

Jake, Helena, Sherry hell bring back Sheva. I liked her a lot.
Yeah Sheva was better than people gave her credit for. It was her AI that people paired her with to get a bad impression.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
As far as story goes I'm just hoping that we get to hear more on that organization Simons mentions in RE6 (The Family), maybe even have Alex Wesker as the new head of it and the main antagonist.

As far as gameplay I obviously would like to see a return to survival horror this time around, they can keep the over the shoulder gameplay since I am fond of that, but everything else needs to get back to the horror roots from the creepy settings to the confusing and weird puzzles, not to mention zombies and BOWs that don't use freaken weapons.

But alas, this is Capcom we are talking about here, my hopes will most likely be dashed in the end.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
i agree with everything except for the amount of characters it only really needs to have one or 2 characters, with very little support characters. the more support you have, the more "light at the end of the tunnel" there is. keep it bleak, keep the player thinking there isn't all smiles round the corner. the one thing i didn't like about 6 was the amount of involment the characters had. remember resident evil 1, 1 playable character at a time, the support character made an appearance perhaps 5 times in the whole game. that's were horror really lies.
Oh, when I said support characters that's what I meant. Keep them VERY sporadic and rare, but there to add to the story potential.
Yeah Sheva was better than people gave her credit for. It was her AI that people paired her with to get a bad impression.
I highly disagree here. I hate Sheva. I couldn't care less about AI, because I don't find gameplay as an important aspect in most cases. Sheva was a weak, forced character, that only managed to add nothing to the story, Take away from the horror aspect, and quell the racism screams. She even stole Jill's spot in destroying Arch Nemesis Wesker...How is that fair. Sheva was a waste, and honestly should never be brought back. Her AI was fine...
As far as story goes I'm just hoping that we get to hear more on that organization Simons mentions in RE6 (The Family), maybe even have Alex Wesker as the new head of it and the main antagonist.

As far as gameplay I obviously would like to see a return to survival horror this time around, they can keep the over the shoulder gameplay since I am fond of that, but everything else needs to get back to the horror roots from the creepy settings to the confusing and weird puzzles, not to mention zombies and BOWs that don't use freaken weapons.

But alas, this is Capcom we are talking about here, my hopes will most likely be dashed in the end.
You mentioned BOW's. I think we should get BOW's that are actually scary looking. These BOWs we have today are kind of just muscle on legs. They're strong, but they don't scare me. Hunters...Cerberus...G...Regenerators...THOSE are Scary BOWs...

aintnoscrub

Premium
Oh, when I said support characters that's what I meant. Keep them VERY sporadic and rare, but there to add to the story potential.

I highly disagree here. I hate Sheva. I couldn't care less about AI, because I don't find gameplay as an important aspect in most cases. Sheva was a weak, forced character, that only managed to add nothing to the story, Take away from the horror aspect, and quell the racism screams. She even stole Jill's spot in destroying Arch Nemesis Wesker...How is that fair. Sheva was a waste, and honestly should never be brought back. Her AI was fine...

You mentioned BOW's. I think we should get BOW's that are actually scary looking. These BOWs we have today are kind of just muscle on legs. They're strong, but they don't scare me. Hunters...Cerberus...G...Regenerators...THOSE are Scary BOWs...

ahh okay, then we're on the same page then :)

just as a quick note, i agree with you about sheva as well, a lot of people assume that when you say you hate sheva it's because of the AI, which don't get me wrong, was awful, but it goes deeper than that. She was a waste of character, didn't add anything and is very forgetful.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Fair enough
That wasn't my opinion, I just heard a lot about the subject before.

I didn't really think highly or low of her in either case. I thought she wasn't bad but there was no real part in re5's story for her to shine since she was pretty much overshadowed by the Jill/wesker/Chris story arc.
Her AI...
It wasn't too bad, though I questioned her herb using abilities, she was however almost completely unusable as AI in professional mode though.

Edit:
My apologies
I seemed to have gone off topic.
I've been thinking about a few things for story purposes that could be cool to introduce.
Such as the people who make the cures for these virus making them so people Zombified can be cured if cured within say 24hours of zombification. This could add an element of deciding weather to kill or be killed.
Main characters getting infected with a possible consequence of not being cured enough or in time (multiple endings)
And as other threads previously have said:
Closure for characters.

Last edited:

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Just to chime in on the Sheva thing, I agree pretty much with all of what KennedyKiller said, but out of all of what he said I would like to point out the fact that they let Sheva get the kill shot on Wesker.

To the people who did like Sheva or did not care either way this was not that big of a deal, but for someone like me who has been following the series for so long and has seen the history Wesker has with the STARS team I think it would have been only fitting to have him die at the hands of Chris and Jill, 2 of the remaining members of STARS who have been raging a war against him and bioterrorism for so freaken long only to have some random new character get part of the kill on him in the end.

Felt like it was a complete waste in the end to have him die like that, this coming from a HUGE Wesker fan.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.

It was dashed out after Re2.

Let's face it the series was never scary. I found it scary because I was a kid. Growing up it's mediocre at best for scares unless it's jump scares.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
It was dashed out after Re2.

Let's face it the series was never scary. I found it scary because I was a kid. Growing up it's mediocre at best for scares unless it's jump scares.

Who mentioned anything about "scary"?

And all of what you said is subjective really, there are plenty of people who where in fact scared by Resident Evil that where not kids at the time, I had many teenage friends 16 and up that would still get jump scares out of Resident Evil Code Veronica for instance, so sorry but I'm not buying into the notion that "It was dashed after RE2", especially since Resident Evil Code Veronica to this day remains my favorite Resident Evil game.

And its not all about being scary either, its about survival as well as the horror.

Once again let me bring up Code Veronica, that was a game that created a lot of tense moments due to the need to conserve ammo and survive, something the newer games completely lack.

I remember my first time playing through the game and not using my ammo wisely, I ended up fighting the Tyrant on the plane with nothing but a handgun with 20 bullets and a bowgun with 4 explosive arrows, Needless to say it was a tense situation that made me value my ammo the next playthrough.

Popo

Honestly, no video game scares you if you have that "not gonna get scared" attitude when you are gonna play it. You have to embrace the game, the story, the characters, the enviroment, make it a part of you, a survival horror game has to be "personal"(not sure if using the correct word here) you have to feel like you ARE the character in the game. Having a co op partner in the game absolutely ruins that for me.

As for expectations, more of the same, action co op game with mutants shooting at you, I don't think Capcom would risk any big changes assuming they are still close to bankrupt. And I don't think the story allows it to be any different.

Top Bottom