• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Resident evil 5 remake!

Mr.R

The ‘race card’ was played and the game’s story took a bit of a dive because of it... kinda like the current state of affairs in the U.S.

Y'know...that might actually be the reason we won't be getting a RE5 Remake not anytime soon...maybe never. I can't see Resident Evil going back to Africa. Doesn't matter how many Shevas and Joshs you put as partners of the main character. In today's world, a white man killing Africans (even if they're infected and all the things we know) is not something I can see Capcom trying to do it again.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I agree. I've always thought of ways they could have made RE5 better, especially based on those early trailers that made it look like a single player experience and had tons of enemies on screen with mechanics and animations that were never in the final game. It seemed like a natural evolution and a more effective version of the horror by swarm idea introduced in RE4.

A hypothetical remake could potentially do this type of horror more effectively since modern consoles should be able to handle lots of enemies on screen at once. Not to mention, enemies could also be a lot more formidable if they completely revamp the enemy A.I. like they did with zombies in RE2, so that enemies don't just run up to you and stop so you can shoot them.

The thing with Resident Evil 5 as well is that I thought it actually had its moments in terms of horror. The Chainsaw Majini for example completely sh*ts on Salvador from RE4. He's a lot more stronger and can take a shotgun blast without falling to the ground to get knifed, and sometimes, he gets back up from death and becomes more erratic. There's even a section where you're forced to split up from your partner to open a door and one of them corners you. Then there's the instakill Reapers who give you limited time to attack and just keep forcing you back while also blinding you. I also thought Lickers were done really effectively here too.

I know Resident Evil 5 is an action game, but I don't think people give it nearly as much credit as it deserves for how it uses horror, especially when so many people still pretend RE4 was a survival horror game. But Capcom has once said that they did genuinely think they were making a horror game with RE5 because they were obviously high on RE4, but a remake could definitely rectify that by giving in to its more survival horror sensibilities.

I also think they could have made the on-rails sections more engaging, which is something RE6 actually did. For example, instead of both characters shooting at the Majini on motorcycles and vehicles, only one should be on the mounted gun and the other driving. The Ndesu fight could have been done on foot with both players needing to scramble so one could distract him while the other shoots his weak point. The lack of engagement in those sections just completely removes any ounce of tension that could have been there by simply giving control to the player and that's the exact potential I see in a remake.

You also mentioned having the game take place at night which I don't think is completely necessary because I think there's an interesting juxtaposition in having a survival horror game set in a hot and sunny setting like Africa with its beautiful vistas and wildlife. Which btw, the lack of wildlife and infected animals is something I've always wanted to see as well. But, I'm kicking myself because you actually reminded me of a shot in one of the trailers that I cannot for the life of me find right now. It had Chris walking in an outdoors setting at night that looked like it could have potentially been the location where you fight the Ndesu, but it struck me as interesting because you can't walk freely in that environment and somehow that shot made it into one of the trailers and is actually what always made me wish we could have fought the Ndesu on foot.
Agreed with all of your thoughts on the potential of an RE5 remake. I wouldn’t want the entire game to take place at night mind you, I actually enjoy the idea of parts taking place during the daytime in the African heat. Like Mad Max and The Hills Have Eyes.

The original trailers for RE5 looked impressive and the idea that the sun could blind you or that the heat would create mirages just sounded amazing for an RE installment.
But I think there is a way to rewrite some bits, like the Ndesu fight that you mentioned, where you’re not stationed to one spot, and have it take place at night so that you really get that sense of dread and horror in poorly lit areas as well. To have infected, both animal and human, coming after you in a setting like Africa in the middle of the dark would be a great addition.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

I agree. I've always thought of ways they could have made RE5 better, especially based on those early trailers that made it look like a single player experience and had tons of enemies on screen with mechanics and animations that were never in the final game. It seemed like a natural evolution and a more effective version of the horror by swarm idea introduced in RE4.

A hypothetical remake could potentially do this type of horror more effectively since modern consoles should be able to handle lots of enemies on screen at once. Not to mention, enemies could also be a lot more formidable if they completely revamp the enemy A.I. like they did with zombies in RE2, so that enemies don't just run up to you and stop so you can shoot them.

The thing with Resident Evil 5 as well is that I thought it actually had its moments in terms of horror. The Chainsaw Majini for example completely sh*ts on Salvador from RE4. He's a lot more stronger and can take a shotgun blast without falling to the ground to get knifed, and sometimes, he gets back up from death and becomes more erratic. There's even a section where you're forced to split up from your partner to open a door and one of them corners you. Then there's the instakill Reapers who give you limited time to attack and just keep forcing you back while also blinding you. I also thought Lickers were done really effectively here too.

I know Resident Evil 5 is an action game, but I don't think people give it nearly as much credit as it deserves for how it uses horror, especially when so many people still pretend RE4 was a survival horror game. But Capcom has once said that they did genuinely think they were making a horror game with RE5 because they were obviously high on RE4, but a remake could definitely rectify that by giving in to its more survival horror sensibilities.

I also think they could have made the on-rails sections more engaging, which is something RE6 actually did. For example, instead of both characters shooting at the Majini on motorcycles and vehicles, only one should be on the mounted gun and the other driving. The Ndesu fight could have been done on foot with both players needing to scramble so one could distract him while the other shoots his weak point. The lack of engagement in those sections just completely removes any ounce of tension that could have been there by simply giving control to the player and that's the exact potential I see in a remake.

You also mentioned having the game take place at night which I don't think is completely necessary because I think there's an interesting juxtaposition in having a survival horror game set in a hot and sunny setting like Africa with its beautiful vistas and wildlife. Which btw, the lack of wildlife and infected animals is something I've always wanted to see as well. But, I'm kicking myself because you actually reminded me of a shot in one of the trailers that I cannot for the life of me find right now. It had Chris walking in an outdoors setting at night that looked like it could have potentially been the location where you fight the Ndesu, but it struck me as interesting because you can't walk freely in that environment and somehow that shot made it into one of the trailers and is actually what always made me wish we could have fought the Ndesu on foot.
Yeah i Remember that trailer whit Chris walking in to the night, i also remembere that there was a trailer showing Chris and Sheva fighting in the area where kirk helicopter crashed

Also i was just rewatching this trailer, so much interesting things didn't end up in final game like animation, enemy AI, Chris closing door and hiding and having dozen of enemy on the screen simultaneously trying to kill him
This was actually better than the final product, it had a completely different feeling

Last edited by a moderator:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Y'know...that might actually be the reason we won't be getting a RE5 Remake not anytime soon...maybe never. I can't see Resident Evil going back to Africa. Doesn't matter how many Shevas and Joshs you put as partners of the main character. In today's world, a white man killing Africans (even if they're infected and all the things we know) is not something I can see Capcom trying to do it again.
This is sadly very true.

Yeah i Remember that trailer whit Chris walking in to the night, i also remembere that there was a trailer showing Chris and Sheva fighting in the area where kirk helicopter crashed

Also i was just rewatching this trailer, so much interesting things didn't end up in final game like animation, enemy AI, Chris closing door and hidind and having dozen of enemy on the screen simultaneously trying to kill him
This was actually better than the final product, it had a completely different feeling

I always loved that trailer. Damn it still looks good today.
I was bummed to see that the mob of infected couldn’t slam you to the ground like in the trailer, that Chris couldn’t run, jump, kick, or close doors to hide and catch a breath.

Wasn’t Barry also supposed to be in it at one point? I know I heard that but never read anything that confirmed this.

D

Deleted member 21244

This is sadly very true.

I always loved that trailer. Damn it still looks good today.
I was bummed to see that the mob of infected couldn’t slam you to the ground like in the trailer, that Chris couldn’t run, jump, kick, or close doors to hide and catch a breath.

Wasn’t Barry also supposed to be in it at one point? I know I heard that but never read anything that confirmed this.
Yeah in some early concept Barry should have been in the game at some point as chris partner, and Jill was Also present leading another bsaa group if i remember right

I think most of this is written in the artbook but i never manage to buy one because it cost to much and i cant find all the artbook page scan on internet and even if i find one they are in Japanese

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Found this compilation of older trailers for RE5. The last two featured have some clips I’ve never seen before (or maybe just completely forgot about) and the very last trailer has a shot of Chris in a nighttime setting with infected surrounding him (at 7:47). I think that's the clip you guys mentioned. Looks like it would have been a very tense part of the game!

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I have always held the belief that RE5 was not a good enough game for an iconic badass like Wesker to make his final appearance in.

Yeah, it was so rushed and completely mishandled. With Mikami gone, Capcom was just trying to wrap everything up so they can do whatever they want. I remember loving RE5 at the time, but it started becoming more and more obvious how little Capcom cared for this franchise since Resident Evil 5. They definitely milked the series before Resident Evil 5, but it's just soulless now. They're concerned more about following trends these days.

Considering how Resident Evil 6 turned out, I would have loved it if they centered the game around Wesker and assembled the original cast to take him down. It would have played in nicely with the over the top action and made Wesker's demise feel like a big deal.

Awebb

The RE universe is perfect for action games. You have "bio organic weapons" that are meant to be sold to the military and deployed on the battlefield. Unless you're going to tell a survivor story right after an outbreak, the majority of contacts with BOW's would be with military personal. Reducing RE to survivors will only iterate through all the combinations of the haunted house with puzzle doors and the indestructible stalker trope (aka Evil Benny Hill Show Intro). I'm also not a fan of the modern dark and gritty tone of RE. Everything is brown and green on black, the rooms are dark and the "evil lurks in the shadows trope" has always been a careful seasoning in RE instead of one big splash from the ketchup bottle.

I think you're reducing "horror" to "scary". The Uroboros, the Cephalo and the Majini's split faces are definitely horrors. The scare factor of many horror games and movies isn't (anymore) the disfigurement of the creatures, but plain and simple the effect of "there is something in the shadows/corner of the eye/behind you" paired with waiting for the jump scare.

The problems of RE5 are not a lack of horror and an abundance of action.
  1. The intro is "bla bla bla Africa, bla bla bla BSAA, bla bla bla Jill is missing". The compact "tell, not show" intro made it clear, that story was going to take a back seat. The story was told in cut scene blobs and most of the time I was wondering why I am where I am and what I'm actually doing. There was no sense of progression beyond getting from checkpoint to checkpoint.
  2. The co-op mechanics fell apart in single player. The AI was constantly in the way and you had to babysit it during fights. Co-op puzzle sequences weren't very interesting in solo, because the AI either did well or you had to micromanage it.
  3. The way QTE works in this game is annoying. Failing a QTE will not change the events of the game, you'll simply get a game over most of the time, because you've dared to enjoy the massive cut scene instead of being on the edge of your seat. Cut scenes are meant to let you shove some snacks into your face and have a drink while you enjoy the story bits. Having to sit through a cut scene over and over again, because you didn't press a button that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.
  4. Wesker with all his super powers and Chris fixation was a bit too comical. He was getting his butt kicked by Alexia in Code Veronica and fled. The iconic scene where he whips out the super powers and unleashes his snark at Chris was later added in the X version and were the foundation to this weird madman we saw in RE5. This, by the way, always happens when someone at Capcom puts a finger on a non-protagonist character from the old RE, they end up like a caricature (RE4 Ada Wong vs. original Ada Wong) or even a parody of a caricature (RE2R Ada Wong).
  5. The mind-control Jill was supposed to close one of the plot arcs of the game, but Jill was simply given back to Chris, just to be taken away from the player. I know, there were two addons dealing with Jill's story, but the main game is what most people played.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
The RE universe is perfect for action games. You have "bio organic weapons" that are meant to be sold to the military and deployed on the battlefield. Unless you're going to tell a survivor story right after an outbreak, the majority of contacts with BOW's would be with military personal. Reducing RE to survivors will only iterate through all the combinations of the haunted house with puzzle doors and the indestructible stalker trope (aka Evil Benny Hill Show Intro). I'm also not a fan of the modern dark and gritty tone of RE. Everything is brown and green on black, the rooms are dark and the "evil lurks in the shadows trope" has always been a careful seasoning in RE instead of one big splash from the ketchup bottle.

I think you're reducing "horror" to "scary". The Uroboros, the Cephalo and the Majini's split faces are definitely horrors. The scare factor of many horror games and movies isn't (anymore) the disfigurement of the creatures, but plain and simple the effect of "there is something in the shadows/corner of the eye/behind you" paired with waiting for the jump scare.

The problems of RE5 are not a lack of horror and an abundance of action.
  1. The intro is "bla bla bla Africa, bla bla bla BSAA, bla bla bla Jill is missing". The compact "tell, not show" intro made it clear, that story was going to take a back seat. The story was told in cut scene blobs and most of the time I was wondering why I am where I am and what I'm actually doing. There was no sense of progression beyond getting from checkpoint to checkpoint.
  2. The co-op mechanics fell apart in single player. The AI was constantly in the way and you had to babysit it during fights. Co-op puzzle sequences weren't very interesting in solo, because the AI either did well or you had to micromanage it.
  3. The way QTE works in this game is annoying. Failing a QTE will not change the events of the game, you'll simply get a game over most of the time, because you've dared to enjoy the massive cut scene instead of being on the edge of your seat. Cut scenes are meant to let you shove some snacks into your face and have a drink while you enjoy the story bits. Having to sit through a cut scene over and over again, because you didn't press a button that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.
  4. Wesker with all his super powers and Chris fixation was a bit too comical. He was getting his butt kicked by Alexia in Code Veronica and fled. The iconic scene where he whips out the super powers and unleashes his snark at Chris was later added in the X version and were the foundation to this weird madman we saw in RE5. This, by the way, always happens when someone at Capcom puts a finger on a non-protagonist character from the old RE, they end up like a caricature (RE4 Ada Wong vs. original Ada Wong) or even a parody of a caricature (RE2R Ada Wong).
  5. The mind-control Jill was supposed to close one of the plot arcs of the game, but Jill was simply given back to Chris, just to be taken away from the player. I know, there were two addons dealing with Jill's story, but the main game is what most people played.

I do agree with you on the fact that Resident Evil deals with bioweapons which allows for the series to create games that revolve around action and military settings. It was never a series that was on the level of Silent Hill or Forbidden Siren, which is why I didn’t mind the action direction taken for the series. It is also why I roll my eyes to people who complain about Chris’ campaign in RE6 being more action oriented because of its military theme when it is obvious that his campaign’s action is the most grounded of the 4 campaigns (and he has some of the best bioweapons to fight through).

But the series is also not Call Of Duty and I do think that the horror elements could have been amplified with RE5. They could have played up on the voodoo rituals that were hinted in the very beginning of the game, as you’re walking through the shops/houses. The early trailers showed promise of it feeling like an a true RE game, even more so than RE4, but there were so many drastic changes made from the time the teasers and early trailers were released on to the games actual release, that we were left with a very poor rendition of what could have transpired from RE5. I still adore this game despite all its flaws though, it’s one of the most fun RE games to play through.

I do think that Capcom has been hitting the mark with that balance of horror and action with the most recent remakes as well as Revelations 2. Even RE7 would feel a bit more appropriate had it been in third-person perspective.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The thing about RE5 and most modern RE games - the best parts of the game are the very beginning and then they slowly unravel from there. RE4, RE5, RE7, RE2R, and RE3R all suffer from this. At least RE4 and RE5 were planned correctly, but the ending of those games are just too clean and ridiculous for such iconic games.

RE5 is best to me when you're in the early city areas with Majini coming from every angle. The oil field and tribal areas have charm, but they're just set pieces for the narrative to play in to. When you finally get to the ship, the game is at its worst. It is just a generic ship without any of the charm from the early game. And then the volcano is worst of all because while a very cool concept - we know that you would instantly die if you were in any of those locations. Chris punching boulders aside, it's just cool for cools sake. It is the equivalent of a 13 year old boy chugging a Monster Energy and saying he is going to **** your Mom. It is pandering to the wrong audience. And Wesker deserved something more real and divine.

I don't even know how a REmake could fix the pacing and ending. But they could certainly try!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Imagine how good partner AI would be in 2020. Did Sheva have options on whether you wanted her to be aggressive or save ammo and health? I don't remember. I will most likely be replaying RE5 this year if I ever finish the last 5 games I just purchased. haha

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Imagine how good partner AI would be in 2020. Did Sheva have options on whether you wanted her to be aggressive or save ammo and health? I don't remember. I will most likely be replaying RE5 this year if I ever finish the last 5 games I just purchased. haha
There is an “attack” and “cover” option for Sheva. Attack mode will make her drain your ammo but I usually make her carry all the healing items for me anyways.
I never felt that frustrated with Sheva’s AI until I downloaded the digital HD copy of the game which has also had some glitches. There are times where she blatantly doesn’t follow commands.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
The first time I played the game was with a human, so it was much more fun. The second time I played the game, obviously Sheva wasn't as good, but she didn't both me as much as her reputation would suggest. Sure, the healing can be an issue. But it is an added element to the game I guess!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I agree V-Jolt. But I also find it fun to imagine what a remake could look like even if it is far in the future.

They can really weave a tapestry of stories assuming they know the future of the series as well!

Soul Fist

The first time I played the game was with a human, so it was much more fun. The second time I played the game, obviously Sheva wasn't as good, but she didn't both me as much as her reputation would suggest. Sure, the healing can be an issue. But it is an added element to the game I guess!
Sheva(To me is Chris because I play as Sheva) is much more annoying in harder difficulties, I played the game lately and I couldn't even get past the 1st chapter. All deaths was hers LOL, not my fault at all XD

Top Bottom